Christian Bale's Terminator 4 on-set rant.

nicky

[Warning - language not safe for work!]

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

Dance remix! :

The above audio clip of Christian Bale's shouting at the film's director of photography (for disrupting his concentration during a scene) have been circulating on websites over the last few days. I want it on the DVD as a special feature easter egg. :D

In Bale's defence, AICN posted an article after hearing from another reliable source from the production:

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a lights tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant lights tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that s*** down before the scene starts.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

Article in full: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

Maybe Bale was "having an off-day, he can't be happy all the time" - isn't that what people say on this forum when an attendee complains about how rude a guest at a con was? :whistling:

Edited by nicky

If he'd already warned the guy about moving stuff around during shooting, you'd have thought an inexperienced DP might have had the common sense to think 'OK - maybe I won't annoy him any more. I'll move them on someone else's shot'. Especially if the warning had come from someone who already had a bit of a 'difficult' tag. This is interesting, as it looks at it from a slightly different angle, namely that the rant may not have hapened had the director been someone else.

the rant may not have hapened had the director been someone else.
Yeah, while Bale ranted McG seemed to take a back-seat and just let him carry on with it. It sounds like Bale was running the show, not the director, not the producer and not the 1st AD (Bruce) or whoever it was that tried to stop him.

If McG cant control the set (crew or actors) what hopes do we have that this film will be any good?

It was posted in another section .. I just merged them, rather than deleting. But yes, it is.

Oh that's right - confuse a poor antibiotic ridden poorly person :D

Didn't we used to have a :D icon?

Apparently we still do!

Edited by sazzra

hehe Bale is insane

i wish there was a video of it to see what the hell they are all doing

it sounds a bit to me like Bale and Bryce where doing there scene, the DP then told a guy to do something with the light

bale flips and bryce has to hold him back from the poor DP, then McG comes into it......but what the hell is McG doing when the DP is playin with the lights?

McG is terrible, when i heard he was directing i thought it was going to suck, then i heard Bale was Conner i knew something must be going on, no way Bale would sign on a bad script with a bad director

no way Bale would sign on a bad script with a bad director
I bring before the jury:

Exhibit A: John Singleton and Shaft (2000)

Exhibit B: Rob Bowman and Reign of Fire (2002)

Everyone looses it at work sometimes!!!
What, for about 3.5 mins and about 40+ F-bombs?

He must have been having as really bad day, he sounds so stressed!

Well in his words, direct from his rant I would say,

"YOU'RE A NICE GUY HAVING A BAD DAY...BUT THAT DON'T CUT IT WHEN YOU'RE BS-ING AND F**ING AROUND IN MY EAR!"

i saw this with my housemates last night and we were laughing our socks off (quite literally).

Your socks actually came off due to laughing? :YAHOO: