US Ratings Update

Phoenix Will Rise

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you'll have to soon - season 4 has only been commissioned because of overseas sales and has lost almost half of its average audience it gained in season 1.

Just to put things in perspective, more people in the UK watch Doctor Who than people in (a country the size of the) US who currently watch Heroes. Its sad, as Heroes started off so well, I hope it does recover.

And if you think British TV is crap, look at how many attempts the US has had remaking our shows. Their televison must be really crap if they are so desperate to remake shows from a country that makes rubbish drama, eh? Oh and I hear that they've just axed the US Life on Mars!

There's a bit more about the ratings here:

**Do not read from post #8 onwards, someone mentions stuff that happened in Shades of Gray**

http://www.got-heroes.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry138687

Looks like USA has it bad too, with Dancing with the Stars type crap. I'm sick of these shows, they're getting so old and numerous.

Edited by Lenatalia

• Moderators

Oh and I hear that they've just axed the US Life on Mars!

Yes, which realistically was never going to get past a full season anyway.

We had two 'series' which added up to how many episodes?! Their 'seasons' usually have around 22 episodes!

At least this way they actually get to finish the show properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week, another new low for the show...

This week's amazing Bryan Fuller episode, Cold Snap, only got 6.48 million viewers...

I know DVR and Downloads etc make up a lot more for Heroes (I believe they said it accounts for almost 40% of Heroes US audience), but still, 6.48 is BAD... Even repeats of House, How I Met Your Mother & Two & A Half Men got more viewers than a NEW Heroes episode...

Other shows on last night in the US:

1. Dancing with Stars - 20.85

2. CSI Miami - 13.46

3. Two & A Half Men - 11.06 (This was a repeat)

4. 24 - 10.30

5. Castle - 9.81

6. Rules of Engagement - 9.43

7. House - 7.67 (This was a repeat)

8. How I Met Your Mother - 7.04 (New Episode)

9. How I Met Your Mother - 6.95 (This was a repeat)

10. Medium - 6.56

11. Heroes - 6.48

• Moderators

The problem is that an episode can be as amazing as they want, but it's not like the viewership is randomly going to go up loads.

If anything it'd be a knock on effect based on good feedback and reviews to increase the next episode's audience, but that depends on if anyone even cares anymore to give it another go.

I keep missing the show due to it being on a different day. I want to watch, but I keep forgetting that it's now being shown on Mondays. At this rate I'm going to have to wait for the DVD to catch up with all the episodes I've missed.

Download figures: http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/new-tec...-show-downloads

And here's Jack Coleman's input on the ratings and downlaods matter...

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/blogs...tweet---tha.php

Now then, about the fate of Heroes. The other day I mentioned to Adrian and Sendhil that I thought the show should go on a publicity offensive about how many different ways Heroes gets to its audience. My point was that, although we have undeniably lost significant numbers of viewers on Monday nights from the halcyon days of Season 1, we are always at the top of every list of downloaded, iTuned, pirated or DVR'd shows on television. We are in 230 territories around the world, and the DVDs generate enormous sums of money. This is as true today as when the show was white hot in the first season.

My point, I argued to Adrian and Sendhil, is that the perception that Heroes has fallen off the face of the earth could be effectively countered with focused publicity that points out the new paradigm of television viewing, particularly as it applies to Heroes, which has such a young, tech-savvy audience that is increasingly unlikely to sit at home and watch at the specified hour.

They both argued that it sounded defensive and would prove to be counter-productive. I'm sure they're right. But Heroes is still a profitable show for NBC Universal. If it were not, we would be gone. So in my own tiny little fiefdom, I am telling you, dear reader, that Heroes is not yet dead. Damn, I could reach so many more people if only I were on Twitter...

Edited by Lenatalia

Actually, some kinda good news for a change... This week's episode, "1962" took a big jump over last weeks, to 6.80 million viewers:

(Volume 4)

8.4 - A Clear & Present Danger

7.9 - Trust & Blood

7.7 - Building 26

6.9 - Cold Wars

7.0 - Exposed

6.6 - Shades of Gray

6.4 - Cold Snap

6.3 - Into Asylum

6.0 - Turn & Face The Strange

6.8 - 1961

6.3 million for this week's episode, I Am Sylar..

Interesting to know thay Heroes is the #2 show that benefits mostly from DVR....

#1 is 90210, and Heroes places second, with over 3 million viewers added each week once the DVR ratings are included... however, since these views have reduced advertising, NBC dont make as much money from them...

• 5 months later...

another awful start for Heroes last night in the US... Episode 1 saw a new premier low for the show by only getting 6.2 million viewers (really awful for such a high profile season premier), and to make matters worse, episode 2 which also aired last night dropped to a terrible 5.7 million viewers (a new series low!)...

I never really though being axes was a serious thing for Heroes, but NBC must be terribly worried by those figures...

Edited by Phoenix Will Rise

This is how the whole night fared (or network TV):

01. 17.6 - Dancing With Stars (ep 2)

02. 17.4 - Danicing With Stars (ep 1)

03. 17.2 - House (ep 2)

04. 15.7 - House (ep 1)

05. 13.7 - CSI Miami

06. 13.5 - Two & A Half Men

07. 12.8 - Big Bang Theory

08. 9.4 - Castle

09. 9.2 - How I Met Your Mother

10. 8.9 - Accidentally On Purpose

11. 6.2 - Heroes (Ep 1)

12. 5.7 - Heroes (Ep 2)

13. 5.6 - Jay Leno

14. 2.4 - One Tree Hill

15. 2.0 - Gossip Girl

*Note how with both Dancing and House, they GAINED in their second hour, while Heroes dropped in it's second hour... not a good sign

*Note how with both Dancing and House, they GAINED in their second hour, while Heroes dropped in it's second hour... not a good sign

I find it odd that anything would gain in the second hour though, people would miss the first episode. I'd not watch the second without having seen the first :D I'd expect that if there was any change it'd be a drop, though that's quite a big drop :P