FANFIC COMPETITION ENTRY

thehazelnut

My eyes were instantly drawn to her as she moved towards me. My first thought was of defense, to protect myself, but I stopped. She radiated warmth, something I had never seen in any vampire before; they were cold, emotionally numbed. But not her. Everyone melted away around her, leaving her standing there, a beautiful solitary figure.

She looked at me, and a thrill of recognition flashed in her eyes. She knew me, somehow. I didn't care; I was more alive than I had ever been since that dreadful night in 1863, just by standing near her, feeling a faint wave of her happiness, sensing her hope.

"You've kept me waiting a long time," she said, crossing her arms, raising an eyebrow. Her face lit up with a smile.

I gave a small smile in return, reveling in the moment; it had been an age since I had smiled for any other reason than the rush of vengeance. I bowed my head slightly. "I'm sorry ma'am," I said, looking up to see her eyes staring right into mine.

I knew for certain then that I did have a soul. It may be battered and bruised from those many lives I had taken, but I had one nonetheless, for she was looking right into it.

I had no idea who she was, but it didn't seem to matter. I straightened, my eyes never leaving hers, and we gazed at one another. Her eyes were a beautiful amber, studying me intently. She knew me almost better than she knew herself, I could see.

We stayed like that for the longest time. It made the eternity I was yet to live seem like just a mere second.

She held out a hand, and I took it without even thinking twice. I kissed it, and she laughed. "Jasper Whitlock," I said, by means of introduction. She raised my hand above her head, twirling underneath it, and I chuckled, the noise sounding strange, almost alien to my ears. She came to a stop only inches away from me, her fingers linking with mine.

"I know, you idiot," she scolded, her tone familiar. Her feelings washed over me, and behind the joy I sensed love. She loved me, yet I didn't even know her name.

I didn't understand the moment. I didn't try to; I knew such an act would be entirely pointless. Instead, I gave myself over to it. Utterly, completely.

I placed my hands either side of her face, and she placed hers over mine. I felt her emotions so intimately, more intimately than I had ever felt anyone else's. I didn't just feel her emotions; I felt her thoughts.

I felt as if I had known her always. I felt as if I had been waiting for her, not the other way around. I felt that we were true soul mates, and that we would spend our lifetimes together, from this moment on. I felt love. I felt happiness.

I felt hope.

Alice Tapper

Aged 14

Edited by thehazelnut

That was absolutely brilliantly written. Your writing is so eloquent, so passionate. When I read, I didn't feel like I was reading your interpretation of Jasper's experience...it was like peering into his soul. Have you got any other stories you might be willing to share? This one was just incredible!

That was absolutely brilliantly written. Your writing is so eloquent, so passionate. When I read, I didn't feel like I was reading your interpretation of Jasper's experience...it was like peering into his soul. Have you got any other stories you might be willing to share? This one was just incredible!

Wow, thank you so much! :YAHOO: Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm afraid I don't have anything much to share at the moment - this was my first go at fanfiction - but I'll definitely try writing more if I get any good ideas :)

• 2 weeks later...