Rourke vs. Jericho at Wrestlemania

s.p.d.

Mickey Rourke has hinted his Oscar-nominated character in The Wrestler might be getting some real ring time after the fighting world embraced his portrayal of Randy 'The Ram' Robinson.

The actor reveals he has been talking with Wwe boss Vince McMahon and his top fighters, and there could be a little real wrestling in his future.

He says, "I think I'm gonna do WrestleMania in Houston, and (wrestler) Chris Jericho, you better get in shape because I'm coming after your ass."

============================

Bet Vince is well happy this came out before anything was announced!! NOT!!!!!!!

Prior to Mickey Rourke getting numerous nominations and awards for his role as Randy The Ram in The Wrestler, it was common talk in wrestling circles that Vince McMahon was far from happy with the film as it showed behind the scenes stuff portraying wrestlers as drug abusers and that they are treated as pieces of meat by promoters etc etc etc. This was mainly down to the ongoing Senate investigation in Pro Wrestling and Vince trying to go with a more family orientated product.

However, in the past few days, "sources" close to Vince have said that he is now more than happy to give the film advertising time etc as he wants the Oscar buzz rubbing off on the WWE. Mickey Rourke was at a recent Raw taping, but was not shown on camera due to a prior arrangement with the WWE not to be shown or the WWE didn't realise he was there - I tend to go with the first one.

With Rourke going public and actually mentioning Chris Jericho by name; and the present Jericho being fired/rehired/humiliated; I would fully expect this to be a prior arranged work with Rourke and the WWE for the build up to WrestleMania XXV. This is nothing new as you had the Mike Tyson/Stone Cold angle years ago, and the recent Floyd Mayweather/Big Show match.

At the moment the WWE have nothing else in the star stakes for the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania, and having a film that seems destined for a probable Best Actor Oscar for portraying a washed up aging wrestler, Vince would be insane not to run with it.

On a side note, during the WWE flagship shows of Raw and Smackdown, the film has been advertised heavily as of late. Also, take into account that the WWE has final say on advertising during Smackdown on MyNetwork TV.

And so it begins on Raw with Jericho replying to Rourke. The LA Times is suggesting that any invovlement with the WWE could scupper Rourke's chance at an Oscar. Aside from the Actors Guild Award for Best Actor, all other Best Actor Awards have gone to Rourke at the moment.

Edited by Will Jones

I personally think that the change of plans/announcements etc etc is more than likely an agreement to distance Rourke from the WWE so that it does nto impacthis chance of an Oscar. With the Screen Actors Guild being the only award not to be sent Rourke's way, some media outlets have jumped on the WWE connection.

I think he will be there in some form, and I think Jericho could help make it a good match.

• 2 weeks later...

If Rourke vs Jericho does happen, then it will be a lot better than people think. Jericho can carry almost anyone to a decent match, and Rourke did receive alot of training for The Wrestler as he did all of his own stunts.

Flair has already stated that he will never wrestle again, and I think he is the only wrestler who has retired that will keep to it.

As regards Jericho and the YouTube clip...it is alleged to be a heavily edited part of the incident that happened in a parking lot when Jericho was leaving an event in British Columbia.

Putting the accounts of the woman who was punched and her boyfriend to one side, as their accounts have changed with each interview they give, numerous eye witness accounts hitting the news stations and internet sites state that the boyfriend of the woman punched approached Jericho's car and started hammering on the door shouting at Chris who was stopped at a STOP sign. When Jericho trued to get out the door was slammed in his face. When he finally got out of his vehicle he was set upon by 5 different people, spat upon, struck multiple times. Only following this did he spit in the woman's face when she had already done this to him. Upon returning to his car he was pushed head first into the door whereupon he snapped and punched the woman.

According to the witnesses, only then did the arena security and WWE security get there to break it up.

Local Police arrested the woman punched and her boyfriend who have since been released with no charges filed as of yet. The Police are in contact with the WWE to speak to Jericho, and they know where he is going to be as he is at Raw tonight.

So, at the moment we have two sets of events. One from numerous eye witnesses, and one from the woman who was punched and her boyfriend. The clip is said to put doubt upon the woman's account.

It should be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by Will Jones

If Rourke vs Jericho does happen, then it will be a lot better than people think. Jericho can carry almost anyone to a decent match, and Rourke did receive alot of training for The Wrestler as he did all of his own stunts.

Flair has already stated that he will never wrestle again, and I think he is the only wrestler who has retired that will keep to it.

As regards Jericho and the YouTube clip...it is alleged to be a heavily edited part of the incident that happened in a parking lot when Jericho was leaving an event in British Columbia.

Putting the accounts of the woman who was punched and her boyfriend to one side, as their accounts have changed with each interview they give, numerous eye witness accounts hitting the news stations and internet sites state that the boyfriend of the woman punched approached Jericho's car and started hammering on the door shouting at Chris who was stopped at a STOP sign. When Jericho trued to get out the door was slammed in his face. When he finally got out of his vehicle he was set upon by 5 different people, spat upon, struck multiple times. Only following this did he spit in the woman's face when she had already done this to him. Upon returning to his car he was pushed head first into the door whereupon he snapped and punched the woman.

According to the witnesses, only then did the arena security and WWE security get there to break it up.

Local Police arrested the woman punched and her boyfriend who have since been released with no charges filed as of yet. The Police are in contact with the WWE to speak to Jericho, and they know where he is going to be as he is at Raw tonight.

So, at the moment we have two sets of events. One from numerous eye witnesses, and one from the woman who was punched and her boyfriend. The clip is said to put doubt upon the woman's account.

It should be interesting to see what happens.

After last nights Raw im sticking by my Flair vs Jericho WM match, Flair is no better than the likes of Funk or Foley, he will never truely retire. MInd you wrestling at WM a year after your last match and bumping someone else off the card is a bit much if you ask me.

Two Jericho videos of the altercation in B.C. have appeared on YouTube now, and conveniently they seem to be from the same phone camera...albeit missing the main bit which shows what lead up to the assault on CJ and then the female fan. Aside from the few fans who attacked him etc, all other witnesses are saying it was self defence.

As regards WrestleMania...I still stand by the Nature Boy not lacing up the boots and wonder if Rourke will appear after the Oscars. I say this as some people thought the SAG Award going to Brad Pitt hinted that he may lose out because of his comments. However, the result of who was winning the Best Actor SAG Award would have been decided long before the Red Carpet moment at the start of the night.

I think one of three thigns will happen at WrestleMania XXV:

1. Mickey Rourke will fight Jericho.

2. Reid Flair - who is currently under a WWE Developmental contract - will defend his Father's honour so to speak.

3. We will finally see Christian debut.

Funk and Foley are, in my personal opinion, not in the same league as Ric Flair. Flair has more to lose coming out of retirement, especially so soon, as his image will be greatly tarnished. To my knowledge, no one has had the treatment Flair got at last year's Hall Of Fame, WrestleMania match (the best on the card) and the Raw fairwell the following night. As Ric stated last night, he has retired from the ring, but not wrestling. It was never a retirement from wrestling as a whole last year, rather just from active wrestling. He smacked Jericho once, but you saw that coming.

Nah...Ric Flair will not be Jericho's opponent in Houston.

At the moment Ric Flair is working on an appearance by appearance basis. Word out of the recent Raw show is that he will manage/coach the opponent of Jericho as everyone is against him coming back. Vince is the biggest one against an in ring comeback as he was vocal about The Wrestler as he said that the WWE looks after it's talent and knows when to call it a day with them. But then I think of Jim Duggan doing the rounds STILL and wonder what Vince is on about. Mind you, Jim Duggan is on a Legends contract and only turns up from time to time.

• Moderators

Shoddy why?

I've read a few people say that, and I can't say I agree with their arguments which have generally been "oh no, he's on ECW! he'd have been better staying in TNA!" which is stupid.

But I'm just curious :D

Well after the shoddy way they dealt with Christians comeback i guess we can rule him out :D

I agree with you that Christian is now a non-starter, but I do not see how the WWE have treated him in a shoddy way?

Remember the fact that Christian left for TNA and lived off his WWE stint, so he has the WWE to thank for where he is at.

The ECW move allows him to get used to the WWE schedule without the hassle of big programmes. I see him popping up on both Raw and Smackdown depending on which show ECW is taped beforehand. You may have noticed that some wrestlers move brands without the Draft, so I would expect Christian to be properly moved by the end of the year. As I have said in another thread, this allows Christian to help bring new talent up and then slot into a main event programme on either Smackdown or Raw. The fact he is in the title picture straight away is a good sign. It also means that Christian will be the lead man on ECW, rather than Edge's b*tch on Smackdown as he would have been if he was in Matt Hardy's place now.

Following the recent release of the WrestleMania XXV promotional poster, Steve Austin is being touted as an opponent for Chris Jericho is the Rourke/Jericho match doesn't happen. IN the poster, Stone Cold is in wrestling gear. He is also advertised for two Raw's in the run up to Mania XXV.

Things that go in favour of this match are:

1. Stone Cold has never had a retirement match.

2. SC is physically fit, but very wary of taking bumps for fear of major injury wrecking his acting career. He has mentioned Jericho as one of a few wrestlers he trusts to protect him in a match if he came back.

3. Mania XXV is in Texas, so it wouldbe fitting for Austin to go out in style and into the HoF.

• 2 weeks later...

okay so here is what i think are the possibilities for this

Rourke will be at ring side either on commentary or in the front row and will somehow cost Jericho the match

Jericho will chalange any hall of fammer to a match

either

Stone Cold

Ried Flair

Ricky Steamboat Jr

will come out

or these very unlikly names

Hogan

King will jump up from com

Pipper

what you guys think

Edited by yesindeed

Apparently, there are three plans for WrestleMania as regards Chris Jericho.

Plan 1: Mickey Rourke faces him.

Plan 2: Hulk Hogan wrestles him.

Plan 3: Stone Cold faces him.

There is also a chance that Hogan will face Stone Cold if Rourke faces Jericho. Hogan has been sending out feelers saying that he would job for Austin's last match. The only question is, would Austin trust Hogan to protect him in the ring?

A spokesperson for Rourke made a comment on a radio show that Rourke would face Jericho in Houston.

Jim Ross has said that Austin told him that he was getting into shape, but Ross made out that Austin would not say why.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jericho, as this angle is panning out nicely.

Hulk Hogan is now extremely unlikely to work any sort of physical involvement at WrestleMania XXV as he has just undergone back surgery. No details on what type of back surgery, but he is expected to require 6 weeks of rest before being able to work out at a slow rate.