Demons

cyberdrunk

So what did everyone think of the first episode of the latest British Sc-fi/Fantasy series?

I thought it was okay, not great but certainly plenty of room for improvement. One thing I can't understand, is why Philip Glenister has to speak in an American accent. Maybe it was to take his charcter away from the Gene Hunt one but why couldn't he speak in his normal accent? It does rather spoil his overwise great performance.

The show is very much aimed at the 'buffy' market, so if you like that kind of stuff check it out!

Here's looking forward to episode 2!

Official Site

Edited by cyberdrunk

I just watched it inITV player

OK Plus points:

Half naked Christian Cooke

The majority of the sets (esp the stacks)

Mina Harker

Minus points

Phillip Glenister's accent

The overuse of 'Freaks'

The Freaks costumes / make up

Oh and McKensie Crooke just made it seem like Batman (60's series) meets an 80's fashion explosion

But I will persevere with it

i agree the accent was a pain in the bum

but i am in two minds about it

as first episodes go it was good enough to make me want to watch episode 2

but alot of shows these days have a bad habbit of over doing the first episode and not delivering in the rest of the series

i thought the first episode of merlin was intresting but by episode 3 i just stopped watching

same with robin hood

torchwood i watched the first episode and didn't like it, but i was intrested enough to watch episode 2 and have been hooked

i hope it either is as good/ or better, but i cant see it happening as i despise Richard Wilson.....hard to belive isn't it

• Moderators

I found it all a little embarassing and cringeworthy really, and not in a 'so bad it's good' kinda way.

I like the idea, and I think the casting isn't bad as such, but it just felt like it hadn't come out quite the way I'd expected it to after hearing about it and reading information on it etc.

Maybe I'm just too used to bigger budget US dramas and stuff like Supernatural etc, but a lot of Demons felt very amateurish and some things just didn't click together. It might develop and find its footing along the way, but I don't think I'll be watching again unless I read about a spectacular improvement in reviews.

I LOVED it :YAHOO:

I have a huge phobia of vampires so i'm not looking forward to the episodes with them in :YAHOO:

but apart from that i love it, i absoloutley LOVE Philip Glenister to bits! I agree the accent isn't perfect but i can deal with that :)

I thought the costumes, sets and graphics were all really good for a TV show tbh. I am a whovian and a woody and i admit it has beaten some of the epsodes of them with graphics already. (Only SOME :YAHOO: - and with graphics) AND i also wanted Phil Glenister to be the new Doctor, so i am chuffed with him being in this :YAHOO:

I just hope they stay as good or imrpove :) And don't get worse as the series goes on as so many things do :D

But overall i loved it lol :)

Edited by ilovejohnbarrowman

• 2 weeks later...

Its just a riff on Buffy but a bad one and as for THAT accent...to quote C3po "i can hardly bear to watch".

Oh is it BAD!!

ITV dont have a clue with these things and after Merlin and Robin Hood neither it appears do the beeb.

They are aping for Doctor Whos success but are failing time and time again.

Now when is HE back?

Edited by vintageSW77

Has improved episode by episode. Everyone keeps banging on about PG's accent when it isn't that bad, well not has bad as the majorty of American attempts at 'English' accents anyway! Although the writers should take much of the blame - they've basically ripped off Gene Hunt in A2A, more than Buffy. The only difference is the accent, cowboy boots and 1981/82!

Still, Primeval is back on, for a 10 week run, when Demons finishes in two weeks!

So your not blinkered in the slightest?

Ive watched it and ive tried but it these things always seem like a poor attempt at cashing in on the Doctors success at getting people to watch fantasy shows on prime time again on Saturday night.

Any fantasy on Saturday night tv is preferable to the excreable X Factor etc but in truth they havent been very successful BUT if you like this kind of stuff great.

We all know what ITV and the beeb are up to with Merlin,Robin Hood,Primeval and Demons,its like when Battle Beyond The Stars,HUMANOID,Battlestar Galactica,Buck Rogers and indeed Star Trek popped up after Star Wars success in the late 70s.

I heard someone say that demons is finding its feet

well maybe it should take a walk to Russell T Davies house to see how you pull this thing off (ooer!)

Edited by vintageSW77

Doctor Who was already established for a good 40 years before it was revived, so it already had enough intrest to sustain it. All RTD had to do was bring it back in the right manner and boy, he did!

However, ITV have had to start from scratch and Primeval is a very good attempt. People keep comparing it to Doctor Who when the two shows are nothing alike. I like both shows and the more successful they are, the wider the window will open for new shows. And that can only be a good thing, as without them there would be even more run-of-the-mill reality shows, something which the BBC are also guilty of btw and i'm sure most on here would prefer more fiction, be it science or otherwise.

What Doctor Who has done is to make people more intrested in watching more homegrown sci-fi/fantasy shows. There have been some cracking British sci-fi since the demise of the orginal series but sadly not enough people were intrested.

and indeed Star Trek popped up after Star Wars success in the late 70s.

Surely you mean it the other way round, as Star Trek had been going a good 10 years before Star Wars came along!

Edited by cyberdrunk

and indeed Star Trek popped up after Star Wars success in the late 70s.

Surely you mean it the other way round, as Star Trek had been going a good 10 years before Star Wars came along!

Its well known that Star Trek The Motion Picture wouldnt have got the greenlight were it not for Star Wars success

As for Primeval i have a hard time with movie CGI with people who have the budget

Much like Doctor Who at times i find the cheap CGI too distracting.

Edited by vintageSW77

One thing I can't understand, is why Philip Glenister has to speak in an American accent. Maybe it was to take his charcter away from the Gene Hunt one but why couldn't he speak in his normal accent? It does rather spoil his overwise great performance.

The show is very much aimed at the 'buffy' market, so if you like that kind of stuff check it out!

I was wondering if that was the reason, maybe? The character is called Rupert and a lot of exposition takes place in a library; it's even called the Stacks - maybe they didn't want people to think of Giles?

Anyhoo, I'm still watching. It's a bit derivative, but we've been spolied by Joss/RTD/Moffat. There are holes in the plot that you could drive Madagascar through, but it's good Saturday evening entertainment.

I wonder why it only has 6 episodes though?

Primeval series 1 only had 6 episodes, then series 2 had 7 and now the third series (in 2 weeks!) has 10. Maybe its ITV just being cautious just in case a series isn't as successful as they hope and if it is, they increase the budget. Tbh I don't think Demons will get a second series, they've been losing by the millions. But it has been improving and has potential.

• 4 weeks later...
Primeval series 1 only had 6 episodes, then series 2 had 7 and now the third series (in 2 weeks!) has 10. Maybe its ITV just being cautious just in case a series isn't as successful as they hope and if it is, they increase the budget. Tbh I don't think Demons will get a second series, they've been losing by the millions. But it has been improving and has potential.

Two weeks from now maybe(or not). Have read that it is going to start March 30th but couldn't find anything online to suport that other then one persons post on another forum. Anyone know if this is the actual date Primevel returns to our screens for another season?

:hathor:

LLAP :borg: