The 11th Doctor announcment!

Magenta_Jan

• Moderators

I've seen a lot more of PJ than I have of Matt. I'm happier having an opinion on him than I would be judging Matt to be honest. While PJ is a good actor, to me he's never really come across as someone that I would believe as the Doctor. It's hard to explain, but I really can't imagine him capturing the right personality. Not every actor can convincingly pull off every single role after all, and I never felt the focus on PJ was because he's a 'good actor'.

Matt certainly has a quirkyness and an energy that Patterson doesn't, for me anyway. I look at Matt and I can genuinely believe him as the Doctor. Obviously it's down to personal opinion at this moment, but I really would have had issues with PJ's casting because I honestly can't believe he would've been the right person for the job on acting ability alone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennant, Eccelston and now Matt Smith weren't really heard of until they were cast as The Doctor.

Whilst I'd agree that Tennant wasn't really a household name before being cast as the Doctor, I'd hardly include Ecceslton in the same category!

Some of his best work was done BEFORE he played the Doctor - let him have it, shallow grave, the others, 28 days later, cracker, our friends in the north, Hillsborough etc - all pre 2005

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing what he did as the Doctor in series 1, much preferred the work he did in Our friends in the north though.

As for this new boy... I'll reserve judgement till I've seen him in the role but I have to admit disappointment that they went with an extremely young actor for the part. As a friend of mine said via email yesterday... "what next? K-9 as a puppy???" :cylon:

Tennant, Eccelston and now Matt Smith weren't really heard of until they were cast as The Doctor. Peter DAVISON was in things like All Creatures Great and Small, before he took the role, so he was quite a name, although igronant people still keep spelling it wrong.

Eccelston was extremely well know before he took the roll of the Doctor both in the UK and the US from TV and movies, he has been on our screens for many years probably more well known in the UK. Peter Davison was a household name when he got the part.

IMBD is well know for being inacurate I always take the deatils on there with a pinch of salt.

The new Doc, Matt Smith is a supurb actor so I hear but a little too young for my liking the BBC seems to be on this young casting trend at the moment and it is important they get the balance of the assistant right else they will turn it into another Merlin and lose alot of older viewers.

it is important they get the balance of the assistant right else they will turn it into another Merlin and lose alot of older viewers.

I really like Merlin. But yes you are right, it could work with a much older companion to get the balance right. Preferably not Lily Allen as one newspaper has suggested :blink:

I'm against casting someone black because they are black. Same with casting a female because they are female. And that's exactly what it would've been, some stupid political correctness move - "well the Doctor is alien, so the role can obviously be played by..." - and the show shouldn't be about that. In fact NO show should be about that.

I totally agree. And I think someone on here may have already said it... I think even Gallifrey (god knows how to spell it, i'm sure someone will pick me up lol!) will have different races and genders, so why can't the doctor just be a white male, end of? Isn't it suggested that he had a wife and family too? So there has to be a certain level of stability for his character! It just wouldn't have worked for me in a way... Its political correctness gone crazy really, and it can spoil a show.

Preferably not Lily Allen as one newspaper has suggested :blink:

I heard that... and I'd stop watching the show I think, I really can't stand her... and I don't think she'd be the strongest actress... Billie was fairly new, but she'd been in a few period dramas before hand, so she had a decent level of experience anyway.

When is the new series of Who being filmed, 'cos by the time it's shown in 2010 Matt will only be a year younger than Peter Davison when he took the role.

As for his casting alienating older viewers, my 76 year old mum loves him - she's probably the happiest Who fan in the country right now.

Sorry but Patterson Joseph was always rumoured because he was black. It was absolutely clear from the media coverage of the rumoured people in line for the role that they were thinking they'd go in a 'different' direction i.e. first black Doctor, or a female Doctor etc. It was never about Patterson Joseph being an ideal actor for the role, nor any female being an ideal actress for the role.

And for the record, I can't imagine Patterson Joseph pulling off the Doctor role convincingly anyway, nor any of the females that were rumoured! I don't care that he's black, he just doesn't have 'it' for me, regardless of how good an actor he is.

As for people saying there are far better actors out there than Matt .. there's not exactly much to judge him on compared to the careers of some of the others to be honest, so it's not a fair comparison. Plus again, being a good actor doesn't mean they'd be a good Doctor.

I agree with your comments 100% - and I like PJ a lot, but if they were going to cast a black actor with the requisite acting chops, my personal choice would've been Chiewitol Ejiofor, as I think he'd have that "it" - but obviously not everyone's going to agree with me! :D And I do get what you mean about a good actor not necessarily making a good Doctor Who - I think it takes an actor with a particularly quirky sensibility to really pull it off; eg, I think Richard Armitage is a good actor (shut up!! :thumbup: ), but he'd be a rubbish Doctor Who.

I want to see the publicity stuff for Matt Smith nearer the time of S5 before I make any further judgement on him - better still, I want to at least see Ep 01 of Series 5. But the way the guy's being slagged off left right and centre at the moment is depressing - he seems to be getting it in the neck simply for not being what some people wanted and, basically, for stuff that's not his fault.

The other thing that's hacking me off is the way that there already rumours that PJ was cast as Doctor Who, but that people higher up in the BBC vetoed the idea, even though PJ had signed up. I really hope that's not true.

i know its shallow but i cant get over the hair and the lack of eyebrows.....its like they threw david tennnant in to blender with a wearwolf....

:lol: That's mean! lol

He looks abit to snisster to play the doctor, but as I said to other people and I will say it here....

I am going to see him act, before I judge him, I havent seen him in anything, so I cant really comment, but wait until he has done a few episodes and I will get back to you!

lack of eyebrows.....

I've found something that nearly annoys me more than so much eyebrow there is a unibrow... and that is no eyebrows! A Sybrow is fine, they are bushy but there are 2. Why can other bushy eyebrow-ed people take note and remove the fluff in the middle? Ugh! But Maybe Mr new doctor took that advice a lil too far? Hummm

Well, here's my thoughts

I don't know of any of Matt's work so don't know if he's 'good' or 'not so good' or ideal for the role or not.

So I'm not going to make any judgements about him - I'm just going to wait and see how he does.

I've seen a few posts that he's not that good and there were 'better' actors up for the role - but how do you know? After all look at how many great actors have been rubbish in some of the roles and the other way round. After all, no-one can say that Arnie Schwarzenegger was a great actor but he was perfect for Terminator! Also many don't believe that Keanu Reeves is a great actor but look at the original Matrix film - he was great in that!

So maybe The Doctor is the perfect role for Matt - time will tell.

My one hope is that he's sufficiently different to the Chris Eccleston & David Tennant Doctors to make the role his and not just seen as a 'clone'/'imitation' of the others.

So, looking forward to 2010 (and 2009, of course!).

I haven't seen any of Matt's work and will reserve judgement on him, each actor brings some thing unique and different to the role and as the Brig would say 'Splendid chap all of them' . I must admit though watching the extended version of the interview though his manerisms strike me as a mixture of the 3rd Doctor and Lord Percy from Blackadder.

I'm against casting someone black because they are black. Same with casting a female because they are female. And that's exactly what it would've been, some stupid political correctness move - "well the Doctor is alien, so the role can obviously be played by..." - and the show shouldn't be about that. In fact NO show should be about that.

I totally agree. And I think someone on here may have already said it... I think even Gallifrey (god knows how to spell it, i'm sure someone will pick me up lol!) will have different races and genders, so why can't the doctor just be a white male, end of? Isn't it suggested that he had a wife and family too? So there has to be a certain level of stability for his character! It just wouldn't have worked for me in a way... Its political correctness gone crazy really, and it can spoil a show.

It was me who said about sexes and races, and i agree with the whole politicly correct thing. I'm not racist, sexist, homophobic (i'm gay :YAHOO:) Or anything prejudist, i'm a very open minded peron, but there is no point casting some one to be "politicly correct" is there? :YAHOO:

:YAHOO: It annoys me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well since my suspension a lot has happened in the world of WHO.

A below par Xmas episode and a controversial new Doctor.

Im happy.

People say they wont watch.

GOOD.

If these people cant get over that Tennant is going and is being replaced by someone who looks like a cross between Boris Karloff and an eyebrow less deformed Heath Ledger then they dont understand this show (mind you i was as bad when the very normal looking Davidson took over from Tom Baker and after a while i stopped watching but there was more to it than that...The Myrka,Jonathan Nathan Turner,Return Of The Jedi etc)

People are moaning saying he looks too weird or even ugly....this is the same character played by proffesional George Clooney lookalike Patrick Troughton and the Brad Pitt esque Tom Baker.

He looks the part and as a fan from being a very small child watching the end of Pertwees run im very very happy.I loved Tennants portrayal but after the xmas episode and RTDs imminent departure the time is right for something new.

I trust Moffats judgement 100% and even Billie says hes perfect.

The 10th Doc is nearly dead.

LONG LIVE THE 11th!!!

and THANK GOD it wasnt Patterson Joseph!!

Edited by vintageSW77