Sportsmania 4/Manchester combined?

18blue78

I'VE POSTED THIS SUGGESTION ON ANOTHER THREAD ON THIS FORUM, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD ALSO PUT IT HERE TO SEE IF IT HAD ANY SUPPORT.

It was a good idea to have the last Sportsmania as part of another show & I think SM should be looking to do the same again if & (hopefully) when they start planning Sportsmania 4. Another idea would be to have a themed show based around a major sporting event.

So here is my BIG suggestion; this summer sees 2 massive cricketing events in this country, The Ashes and the Twenty 20 World Cup. So why not try to get some former & current cricketing legends to attend an SM show? Having a cricket based Sportsmania would cash in on the publicity generated by The Ashes and the Twenty 20 World Cup.

Carrying on this idea; SM are looking to move Collectormania Manchester to the summer, so why not combine Collectormania Manchester & Sportsmania 4?

Lets keep the idea rolling; Sunday 30th August & Tuesday 1st September sees England playing Australia in two Twenty 20 matches at Old Trafford, Manchester. So over the weekend starting 28th August, Manchester will be awash with cricket supporters. Organize a combined & 'WELL' advertised show for that weekend & you should be looking at a very highly attended show.

Final part of the suggestion; have the usual big names from the last Sportsmania's attending as well (England '66 squad, Sir Henry Cooper, Frank Bruno, etc...) because Manchester/ the North West has a huge sporting history & to my limited knowledge no show like this has happened in this area, so you might be tapping into a whole new market.

As I said it's just a suggestion & I'm not daft enough to think 4 paragraphs is all it takes to produce an SM show.

But it may give someone an idea & maybe even solve two problems:-

- 1/ is it right to reschedule Collectormania Manchester to the summer,

and,

- 2/ can a Sportsmania 4 be made to work?

So, what do the good people of SM think.....anyone? :D

Edited by 18blue78

Hopefully by "combined" you mean "totally separated areas of the same building".

I don't really fancy sifting through the sports Collectables and fans to get to the film/tv/author/artist guests and stalls that I do want to see, and am used to seeing at collectormania events. And vice versa I'm sure.

Normally SM are very good at "genrefying" the layout of events which make it easy to see and visit certain groupings of guests in the same area. This makes the event also go much more smoothly because of the clarity and ease with which you can navigate the event area. So I guess it could work as long as it was very well defined which area was which.

It's just a personal feeling that makes me dislike the idea of such a crossover though.

Maybe living in Manchester and far too often seeing the horrendous mess and noise created by crowds of drunken men who have travelled down whenever major sports events are on have clouded my mind though....

Hopefully by "combined" you mean "totally separated areas of the same building".

I don't really fancy sifting through the sports Collectables and fans to get to the film/tv/author/artist guests and stalls that I do want to see, and am used to seeing at collectormania events. And vice versa I'm sure.

If it is anything like collectormania midlands you wont have to....... one end of hall were the TV/Film and to the other were the sports stars.

well set out. :chair:

I remember the collectormania midlands show, it was so cramped due to Sportsmania, Manchester G-mex area is a little bit bigger so I guess sportsmania should be right at the back of the hall as last time in Manchester, they had so much space at G-mez they wasn't using attall.

I do hope they'll use that empty space or that would be ridiculas.

Thats Mancs for you

OI! :YAHOO:

We'll have none of that here! Anyway, it's nearly always the away fans that cause all the damage and aggro! :D

I'm quite sure that if something is "eventually" sorted out that it'll be a well attended event.