John Barrowman in trouble! (will it affect the hub2?)

ilovejohnbarrowman

Well, here is an article i read on yahoo news.

BBC sorry over Barrowman 'exposure'

Barrowman performed the act during an interview on Radio 1's Switch show on Sunday evening, after being prompted on the subject.

The incident comes in the wake of the investigation into the prank phone calls made to Andrew Sachs by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, for Brand's Radio 2 show.

Following the BBC Trust report into the incident, BBC management said 10 days ago that it was "determined to act on the lessons learnt from this incident, in particular to reinforce adherence to the BBC's compliance systems. This will be a major priority within the BBC's audio and music division."

During Sunday's show, presented by Nick Grimshaw and Annie Mac, Grimshaw asked Barrowman, who has starred in Doctor Who and its spin-off Torchwood: "You're famous, we're told for getting your willy out in interviews. Is this going to happen today?"

Barrowman responded by saying he was going to "get it out", amid shouting and laughter. He was later heard to say: "I didn't take the whole thing out, but I got my fruit and nuts out."

Annie Mac apologised on air at the end of the programme for any offence that may have been caused.

The BBC emphasised that nothing untoward was screened online. A BBC spokeswoman confirmed that one complaint had been received. She said: "We do feel that the programme overstepped the mark. We acknowledge this and apologised at the end of the live programme."

Barrowman issued his own apology for any offence his behaviour had caused.

The West End actor, whose early TV career was as a children's presenter on Live And Kicking, said the "light-hearted" banter went too far - and promised it would never happen again.

Tbh i think this is a stupid over reaction due to the Ross/Brand thing :angry:

And he is now going to get bad press because of this stupid thing :angry:

(This will probably get moved lol so i'll put something hub related in it)

So Will this affect what people think of him at the hub2??

(haha! can't move it now!!... what? you can?... oh ;) )

Edited by ilovejohnbarrowman

A bit foolish by John, but another situation of people/media and others blowing things out of proportion.

As with Brand and Ross, the situation was blown out of proportion and Brand/Ross were made scapegoats for the actions of superiors deciding to air a previously recorded show UNCUT and after Andrew Sachs asked for the answer phone messages not to be aired. Now, I do not condone what Brand and Ross did or said, but why broadcast a show that contained what it did?

Also, no one at the BBC has publicly denied Jonathon Ross's claim that he told the show producer to cut the answer phone bits out as it would cause problems. That to me shouts volumes what really went on.

I am sure this will fade away and John will carry on as normal.

Nick Grimshaw is awful and dresses like a homeless tramp most of the time.

In the manner of Comic Book Guy.....BEST LINE EVER!

Another storm in a tea cup. If anybody's to blame it's the idiot DJs who baited him to do it.

That said, nobody saw it and NOBODY had complained according to the evening paper I read today. No doubt that will change now it's been on the news ;)

There's no way it's going to affect anyone's attendance at the Hub 2 though.

So Will this affect what people think of him at the hub2??

Don't know, but I think that we can take it as a given that if Mr Barrowman actually attends, the ME question moderator will be sifting out any "will you be getting your plums out?"-type questions ;)

To look at this on a lighter note....i seriously can't see any women or even men for that factor who would complain about seeing John's willy live on webcam...i for one wouldn't have complained but alas i missed the show...dammit.

Now Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand vs John Barrowman...no contest really...i know who's parts i would rather see... ;):D:D:D

i don't think this will affect his career that much, maybe the BBC wont put him in shows other than doctor who and torchwood for a little while but, this whole thing is ridiculous.

John gets his 'willy' out on almost everything he goes on lol

i'm sorry to say, i love BBC shows, but if that was channel 4 nothing would have happened at all about it.

Its stupid that he had to apologise.

Even my brother (who absoloutley HATES john barrowman with all the venom in his heart) said it was stupid when i told him.

*is angry*

*Calms self down thinking of John... :YAHOO: *

I was worried last night about the reactions in the papers today, but am less worried now as in most papers it's only taken up a little corner of the page and really it's only the apology and the fact that there was only one complaint. It's only The Daily Mail (which brought the story up) that has it on their front page and in my opinion makes them look stupid and pathetic. John as so much talent and support that I'm sure that this will not affect is career at all. This situation is so stupid. I emailed The Daily Mail to tell them so and I now feel so much better. :YAHOO:

I was worried last night about the reactions in the papers today, but am less worried now as in most papers it's only taken up a little corner of the page and really it's only the apology and the fact that there was only one complaint. It's only The Daily Mail (which brought the story up) that has it on their front page and in my opinion makes them look stupid and pathetic. John as so much talent and support that I'm sure that this will not affect is career at all. This situation is so stupid. I emailed The Daily Mail to tell them so and I now feel so much better. :YAHOO:

Was there ever any doubt that it was a Mail reader? The whole Brand/Ross thing only had 2 complaints until Disgusted Mail reader of Bromley joined in!

Edited by sazzra

If it stays with just the few complaints fine

It just goes to show that if your a well loved entertainer who strays into MOR territory a prank like this causes no fuss

but if you are an edgy broadcaster on a huge salary or an equally edgy and talented comedian who is a hit with the ladies who seem to rub up certain members of the public the wrong way you are screwed.

Edited by vintageSW77

What was it John said on one of his panels at HUB1.

The more politically incorrect people are and can laugh at themselves and each other the better the world will be.

Never a truer word spoken - Some people really ought to get a life - there are far more important things such as wars and the recent events in India to get annoyed about than to make a major deal out of what happened on the radio show.

John is John and that is why we love him - I for one would not want him to be any different. :chair:

Why dont they just f**k of they know what johns like and if they dont they should do mthere research i am furious

the media know exaclty how to use people and they dont give a f**k.

The media could have edited it anyway and there is always crude inuendos and bad jokes going out all the time so leave john alone

John gets his 'willy' out on almost everything he goes on lol

which arguably makes it trite, cliched and boring. In much the same way as it was funny to occasionally see Olly Reed or George Best turn up on a chat show in a "well-oiled" state and act outrageously, it soon became tediously repetitive and diminished their underlying talent.

i'm sorry to say, i love BBC shows, but if that was channel 4 nothing would have happened at all about it.

You have to realise that none of us pay directly for Channel 4, whereas we all pay for the BBC via the licence fee. I'm pretty relaxed about how the Beeb spend my licence fee (certainly more relaxed than many people), but I'm sure many people would be pretty annoyed if BBC high-ups were, say, on a daily diet of champagne funded by our licence fee. There are a smaller (but still significant) number of people who are equally vexed if the BBC spend any of "their" licence fee on things they find distasteful or disagreeable. Channel 4 by contrast is privately funded, primarily by advertising revenue. Nobody is "taxed" to pay for Channel 4, which is why stuff there causes less public affront. It's a simple and understandable fact that anything on a publicly funded network is likely to be held to a"higher" standard by the public.

or an equally edgy and talented comedian

or Russell Brand. OK, it's just opinion, but "edgy" without being funny or thought-provoking is just another way of saying offensive. Sure, some people find Brand funny and talented, I'm afraid I find him puerile and about as funny as a pus-weeping sore. And I'm no prude; I find Frankie Boyle and Gerry Sadowitz hilarious.

Am I going f****g mad? Are we really talking about indecent exposure on a RADIO show. Who gives a toss. Good grief.

1. See note above on publicly-funded broadcasters.

2. Given the fact that the radio show was also broadcasting webcam pictures, there was technically scope for indecent exposure to occur.

I'll agree however that there is a whiff of media hysteria about it. However, given all the furore about Ross'n'Brand, still fresh in the mind, was it really too much to hope that JB and his hosts might have actually had enough of a brain between them to have foressen what could happen and not do the idiot walk into the storm?

According to the BBC news site 42,000 people complained....so here's a message from me to all 42,000 people whoever you may be...

GET A GOD DAMN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SURELY YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO IN YOUR SAD PITIFUL LITTLE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah i got that off my chest. Life is for living, taking chances and having no regrets...my only regret is that i didn't get to see it. I mean come on John and gang bared their backsides in front of all of us at the HUB and did we complain....hell no...if anything we wanted more lol.

John is John and that's the way he is, he don't live life by the books...in fact none of us should but it's why we love him

GET A GOD DAMN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SURELY YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO IN YOUR SAD PITIFUL LITTLE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

et tu, Brute?

Life is for living, taking chances and having no regrets...

Oh puh-leeeze. Your response is as hysterical and over the top as the press on the other side. If he was doing something genuinely dangerous, different, and challenging, confronting the ills or prejudices of an unfair society in a truly revolutionary way, then I could see the point of your proselytism. But airing your knackers in a warm and cosy, publicly-funded, broadcasting studio because some halfwit of a presenter has effectively dared you to is about as groundbreaking and "edgy" as the Chuckle Brothers.

my only regret is that i didn't get to see it.

Each to their own. But hey, you're connected to the internet. I'm sure you could probably find some pictures of male genitalia out there without too much effort. And if you can imagine that this whole thing is some great expression of individualism, then I'm sure you can imagine that at least some of those pictures are of John's tackle...

John is John and that's the way he is, he don't live life by the books...

Gosh what a rebel.

No, he doesn't need martyring by the press for this. But he doesn't need holding up as some sort of crusader for freedom and alternative mores over it either. For a start it just plays into the hands of the "Outraged of Tunbridge Wells" types of this world who can then fulminate on about how this publicly-funded pervert (their words, not mine) is corrupting the youth of today...

It's also far from new or original. Do a search for Jim Morrison Miami 1969 indecent exposure and you'll find this sort of thing, complete with media hoo-hah, was happening whilst Mr Barrowman was still in nappies; I'm afraid that in celebrity flashing terms JB is a bit of an arriviste. :poki:

people only complain to add something to russel and brand fiasco otherwise people would not care

russel and brand dying of so people have new material to rip into john always happens amplify a problem by adding more and more to it

just get a life it wasnt offensive, it wasnt targetted to anyone and the radio has always been a more open minded and free experuence be light minded when listening it was not a attack on anyone

or an equally edgy and talented comedian

or Russell Brand. OK, it's just opinion, but "edgy" without being funny or thought-provoking is just another way of saying offensive. Sure, some people find Brand funny and talented, I'm afraid I find him puerile and about as funny as a pus-weeping sore. And I'm no prude; I find Frankie Boyle and Gerry Sadowitz hilarious.

Well a lot would disagree but thats comedy for you some people think Bernard Manning wasnt funny but youll be surprised at some of the big names in comedy who did....Stephen Fry being one.

Whilst im a long time fan of Mr Sadowitz,Frankie Boyle myself i think is a little overated and about as interesting to watch doing stand up as it is watching paint stay wet.

Russell gives it a bit of oomph and not all of his comedy is about **** and ****** and ******* ***** who like to **** poneys up the **** and if you had watched his recent Jack Kerouac documentary youd realise theres more to him than stuff about the old in and out.

I like Barrowman in Torchwood but he was never my fave actor in that show(thatd be the far superior Burn Gorman)and i do think hes suffering from way too much exposure and this cements it.

When i watch Torchwood or Doctor Who i dont see Cpt Jack anymore

i see that bloke who gets his knob out,sings cheesy MOR music and judges on Nancy....its way too distracting.

Oh for the days when Tom Bakers Doctor and the brig etc were convincing in their parts because thats all you saw them on tv doing.

As for the rapid rise in complaints stated above...no surprise there then.

Edited by vintageSW77

What was it John said on one of his panels at HUB1.

The more politically incorrect people are and can laugh at themselves and each other the better the world will be.

Never a truer word spoken - Some people really ought to get a life - there are far more important things such as wars and the recent events in India to get annoyed about than to make a major deal out of what happened on the radio show.

John is John and that is why we love him - I for one would not want him to be any different. :YAHOO:

Amen to that! Well said.

According to the BBC news site 42,000 people complained....so here's a message from me to all 42,000 people whoever you may be...

Ah i got that off my chest. Life is for living, taking chances and having no regrets...my only regret is that i didn't get to see it. I mean come on John and gang bared their backsides in front of all of us at the HUB and did we complain....hell no...if anything we wanted more lol.

John is John and that's the way he is, he don't live life by the books...in fact none of us should but it's why we love him

Are you sure that the 42,000 complaints were not from people who wanted pictures of "JOHN BEING JOHN", rather than about the act itself? :YAHOO:

As regards comparing this situation with the Brand/Ross incident, unless I am mistaken, the John Barrowman show was LIVE - please correct me if it was recorded - and the Brand/Ross showas pre-recorded. Thus, with WebCam images going out on the internet, wasn't John's decision to expose himself a tad foolish? I am a fan of John as he has a great personality and loves giving back to his fans - unlike some stars!!! However, where I do not condone what Brand and Ross did, they did not expose themselves and the Show Producer CHOSE to put the show out as it was with the phone calls remaining.

If John had done his little exposure stunt - and let's be truthful when we know this is John doing a stunt he has done before - in public, he would have been arrested. Not everyone listening to the show John was on would have known what JB can be like and his exposure stunt, and the show couldn't control who was watching online.

From a personal point of view, I hope John carries on working in his many BBC ventures as I find him entertaining. However, in today's present climate following alot of bad publicity for many TV channels, I would hope he would think about the potentially dubious side of his personality as I do not want him to get into trouble and lose his livelihood.

However, I do agree with John's view on life and people of "The more politically incorrect people are and can laugh at themselves and each other the better the world will be". But, and this is a big but, sometimes you have to choose when to be politically incorrect and when to bite the bullett as there are alot of people out there who thrive on waiting for people to make mistakes and jump on them - this is despite not being perfect themselves.

Also, the programme John was on, BBC Radio 1 SWITCH, is aimed at teenagers and thus this is why more than likely the media have jumped on this story. It also highlights the irresponsible nature of the Show's Host who raised the subject of John's PARTY TRICK on a teen based show!

Complaining about someone on the RADIO indecently exposing themselves is like complaining about being shown a photo of somebody swearing.

But the WebCam streaming, albeit no images of John were shown exposing himself, were still LIVE. Also, there are people who complain for complaining sakes.