GUEST CANCELLATION SYLVESTER MCCOY

showmasters

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've already mentioned in another fourm, that's a real shame.

What I don't get is how he can cancel now, just one week from the event. He was the first guest announced way back in August. So it's been arranged for sometime.

Oh, well I'll just have to wait till next year.

The line up for this event is not just poor but an all out DISGRACE! I mean honestly they expect this poor line up to pull in the punters?

Shows promised ages ago they would make this event big ages ago as it was their last show of the year & no others around the time.

They get a bunch of mainly Z list stars , put on a Friday as well when most of the guests won't be there & wehen common sense should have prevailed - don't do Friday put money that would have cost for that (hall rental, etc) into the weekend to make it better add mores guests, etc.

Shows events are great but seriously they need better organisers, if other events can announce there guest lists long ahead then any group can.

• Moderators

Perpetual's posts seem to all be along the same disappointed lines unfortunately.

I would suggest trying to take a pro-active stance, supporting the event, suggesting guests etc. There's a lot of things everyone can do to help the growth of the Glasgow event, and many people are doing such things which is fantastic.

It's a shame if there's nothing for you Perpetual, and I'm in the same boat in terms of there being no reason for me to travel up, but I'm partly glad about that as I'm not sure I could afford it at the moment. Hopefully future events can expand and improve, and they will include something for you.

a lot of people seem to be saying that they wont be travelling to glasgow so its up to us 'locals' to prove glasgow deserves more attention from sm. theres 4 guests i hope to meet, so thats good enough for me.

its much cheaper for me to get to than any other show which means i can spend more at the show.

my whole budget for my trip will be less than the travel costs alone for other shows so i'll continue to support it as long as they can continue to get at least 1 must meet guest for me.

this time its juliet landau and i'm well excited, she even left me a comment on my myspace page, so i have to go now.

What other show like this is in Glasgow of this size?

How easy do people from Glasgow find it to get to London for events?

The guests may not be the same as for London, but think about it... its harder for them to come down here and meet the regular signers. They're not trying to make Glasgow another LFCC! It needs to be slowly built up... its gona always have less attendees than London, so it will always be smaller.

People just have no clue...

People just have no clue...

Before you get all defensive on behalf of showmasters Lizzy, to be fair to those who are complaining it doesn't help when they read posts like this...

Glasgow 2008 was a good event and as to numbers we were up around 500 people than last year and 95% of dealer's rebooked so all was good and as all the guests covered there costs so we can book bigger guests for the next show

so its looking good for Dec

see you there

jason :WAVE:

Because of the amazing success of the Glasgow event we are going to run 2 a year from now on, :dance:

In 2008

In December there are no other events on, and with Christmas approaching it will be a great place to pick up presents for friends and family. It's also a great time to bring guests to a show, as many programmes have finished filming for the year.

it looks like this August event is going well so we hope to bring bigger names for the dec event so keep getting to word out and we will keep upping the guest caliber :P

see you all soon

so with all due respect Lizzy, Jasons comments that Glasgow in August was a success and that future events will be bigger, well they contradict the 'advice' you just gave to perpetual and those who share his opinion.

Edited by Barni

Perpetual's posts seem to all be along the same disappointed lines unfortunately.

Judging by similar responses on the forum I don't think it's just Perpetual who's disappointed mate.

We hear a lot of cries to support this event from many of our forum friends in England but as someone has already pointed out, aside from the crew there's not much support for Glasgow from most of those who suggest nae INSIST that we should ALL be supporting it no matter what.

There's a lot of things everyone can do to help the growth of the Glasgow event, and many people are doing such things which is fantastic.

Just a pity some of us who went out out of our way to help with this event didn't get a reply to emails or phone calls despite trying constantly over a period of 4 months.

If I were selfish, I'd say I'm happy with the lineup cos I get to meet a few guests I haven't met before - if I were asked if this event was going to boost the reputation of collectormania in Glasgow I'd have to say it would be a resounding no.

Despite the sad facts, I will still be supporting the event personally. Pity I didn't receive the advertising leaflets I requested via email though. I got no response as per usual. It's rather discouraging to be honest.

Edited by Barni

Hi,

With respect, in my opinion, this is a good line up and quite varied and will be the first time that I will be going not just solely for the dealers.

Ann x

Judging by similar responses on the forum I don't think it's just Perpetual who's disappointed mate.

We hear a lot of cries to support this event from many of our forum friends in England but as someone has already pointed out, aside from the crew there's not much support for Glasgow from most of those who suggest nae INSIST that we should ALL be supporting it no matter what.

There's a lot of things everyone can do to help the growth of the Glasgow event, and many people are doing such things which is fantastic.

Just a pity some of us who went out out of our way to help with this event didn't get a reply to emails or phone calls despite trying constantly over a period of 4 months.

If I were selfish, I'd say I'm happy with the lineup cos I get to meet a few guests I haven't met before - if I were asked if this event was going to boost the reputation of collectormania in Glasgow I'd have to say it would be a resounding no.

Despite the sad facts, I will still be supporting the event personally. Pity I didn't receive the advertising leaflets I requested via email though. I got no response as per usual. It's rather discouraging to be honest.

i'm trying to say out of these situations but i agree very much with Barni

he's not the only person to be completely ignored when all he is doing is trying to make his local show as good as it can be

I'll be attending the show, but I standby the comment - the line up isn't so much poor as an all out Disgrace!

1) It is sad Shows come up with empty promises (see posts above), but worse keep asking for peoples comments & advice, but don't listen to any of it :-

2) Several threads on 'What Guests Would You Like', etc - what is the point? How many of the guests at the forthcoming Glasgow are mentioned in those threads by people wanting to see them there? Of course you'll always get Tom Cruise, Anjelina Jolie, etc requests but within reason the line up is shockingly bad (Big Brother, Blakes 7, Doctor Who old series, etc - how many people will pay £10 to get entry & meet them?).

3) Bizzarely add a Friday for some inexplicable reason? When mosts guests won't be there & the obvious - whatever it cost to add the Friday (hall rental, hotel bills, etc) could have been better used for the weekend, i.e. cancel Friday just do weekend.

4) Very late announcements of guest / line up / days & times for guests. Same old feeble excuses everytime & they are feeble because if other events can manage to announce line ups long before there really are no excuses left.

I'll be at the show, I'm coming with friends & I'm trying to encourage as many as possible to come and support it, but no easy task with that line up. Even if better names are added now which seems unlikely , it would be rather late. Whatever the organisers are doing they don't seem very organised, and they certainly don't seem to be listening much to suggestions from people on here about anything.

Had mentioned it before but with credit crunch , retail stores expecting loss people are watching what they spend, which could potentially mean more people looking at the poor guest list and thinking no thanks not for £10 entry. A few good names, especially bigger guests maybe from current or recent shows would have been a well needed bonus.

Hope this show is a huge success , I want there to be future shows in Glasgow but the 'bigger & better, build on previous shows' is definitely not being honoured, nor are the organisers listening to requests or advice from people here (the punters) very much. Many people that phoned or emailed never even got any response - who is running Shows one guy in an office, no other staff?

Shows events are great fun, despite poor guest list hope this one is too and it gets big audience, so future events will happen.

• Showmasters Admin

Before you get all defensive on behalf of showmasters Lizzy, to be fair to those who are complaining it doesn't help when they read posts like this...

Glasgow 2008 was a good event and as to numbers we were up around 500 people than last year and 95% of dealer's rebooked so all was good and as all the guests covered there costs so we can book bigger guests for the next show

so its looking good for Dec

see you there

Because of the amazing success of the Glasgow event we are going to run 2 a year from now on, :dance:

In 2008

In December there are no other events on, and with Christmas approaching it will be a great place to pick up presents for friends and family. It's also a great time to bring guests to a show, as many programmes have finished filming for the year.

it looks like this August event is going well so we hope to bring bigger names for the dec event so keep getting to word out and we will keep upping the guest caliber :D

see you all soon

so with all due respect Lizzy, Jasons comments that Glasgow in August was a success and that future events will be bigger, well they contradict the 'advice' you just gave to perpetual and those who share his opinion.

1st post date='Aug 9 2008

2nd post date='Aug 26 2008,

i think the date when i said this was just before the world went to crap ? am i wrong ?

if woolwoths is laying off 30,000 jobs i think its best to not take to many risks and run a good event , as not is not the time to roll the dice and gable

i know "Perpetual" not happy but what he is saying on here is not helping to make the event any better as nothing he is saying is help full to anyone

the Friday is for the dealers which will do well and that helps the event run with out them there is not show

"Very late announcements of guest" you get people to conform when they want to nothing any of us can do can change that , and i want them to conform asap as its my money riding on the event

i think "Perpetual" should lay off us a bit, its still a good show and our first christmas event so no one knows what to expect, so not going crazy on the first Dec events is a sensible choice in this difficult time

maybe 2009 it the time to open up the bank and go for some more expensive guests , but till things look a bit better and the banks get them selves salted out and everyone feels a bit more safer with there jobs , i think we will just take it easy and stick to some good valued guests

when things get better we know what to do and how to do it well

PS

to everyone

i just looked up "Perpetual" and his old posts and he is the wast of time that was "HazaRaza7" that created issues for us on here for the last event

And he did not event tern up to the last show so he's just here to upset people

just thought i would let you know

jason

to everyone

i just looked up "Perpetual" and his old posts and he is the wast of time that was "HazaRaza7" that created issues for us on here for the last event

jason

:dance: ffs... no shockers there tbh :D

hi im a first time poster and i am really behind these shows i am a business manager for a large company so know all about the current climate and think the guests are great for scotland having been to comic con and the like still think the scots shows are great so just to say thanks to all the team and crew for making the shows i will be there for all 3 days keep up the good work merlin31 :vader:

PS

to everyone

jason

i still can't believe you thought me and him were the same person

i know i get on at you sometimes (okay a fair bit)

atleast i make up for it with buying Autographs and Photoshoots

:D

i think the date when i said this was just before the world went to crap ? am i wrong ?

Nope, you're quite right. After a couple of weeks of speculation on the business pages about its future, Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on 15th September. Since then we've all been going to hell in a bucket. Given that, I think you have a good case for saying that statements about intentions that are more than a couple of months old are subject to revision based on the change of economic circumstances.

That said, it's also an argument for making statements more aspirational than definitive - a few less "can"s and "will"s, and a few more "hope to"s, and phrases like "want", "try", "intend" and "would like to" would give you some more wiggle room. (To be fair, I do note that you did say "hope to" in one of the statements Perpetual was whingeing about - oh well, can't win 'em all.)

• Showmasters Admin

mccoys here in Derby at the moment, i cant understand why he ever would have ever agreed to this, as he surely has known for months and months that he wouldnt be able.

well i do not know why Sylvester told us on 27th Nov its not help full for anyone but here is the email i got from Derek telling me the fact

maybe if we had not have pushed to find out what rooms he needed we may never have found out till the day he was going to leave for the event oh well :D

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:18:01 -0000

To: Showmasters <info@showmastersonline.com>

Subject: SYLVESTER / ROOMS

Hello,

We have lost Sylvester.

Guests rooms & pickups

Katy Manning xxxxxxxxxxxx

Nick Courtney xxxxxxxxxxx

John Leeson xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jacqueline Pearce xxxxxxxx

Georgia Moffett xxxxxxxxx

Derek, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kind regards,

Derek

on behalf of

10th Planet Events

e-mail derek@tenthplanetevents.co.uk

website www.tenthplanetevents.co.uk

------ End of Forwarded Message

• Showmasters Admin

Nope, you're quite right. After a couple of weeks of speculation on the business pages about its future, Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on 15th September. Since then we've all been going to hell in a bucket. Given that, I think you have a good case for saying that statements about intentions that are more than a couple of months old are subject to revision based on the change of economic circumstances.

That said, it's also an argument for making statements more aspirational than definitive - a few less "can"s and "will"s, and a few more "hope to"s, and phrases like "want", "try", "intend" and "would like to" would give you some more wiggle room. (To be fair, I do note that you did say "hope to" in one of the statements Perpetual was whingeing about - oh well, can't win 'em all.)

point taken TommyT but at that time its what we planed to do, and if we planed to do it i do not see why it was not ok to say it how we thought it would be , if we play down every this we do plan and do in the end it would sound dull

it could sound like this

"we plane to run the next event Collectormania Glasgow 4 in the summer, when we will have some guest, some will drop out near the time, some of the guests people want to meet will not be there and some that people do not want to meet will be there, but there will be a lot of people there that do not come on here and say anything, they will be there and they might have a good time as they keep coming, but i do not know why as they never come on here to say why they keep coming back but they do, so in the end all i can say is we are planning to run the event but if the buliding falls down we might not there or nothing may happen and we will be there, if we are there then if anyone else it there say hi if you are not there do not say hi as i will be there THE END

i had a lot of fun on this its very side tracked but thats nothing new on here is it :dance::WAVE:

well thats what i have to say

sorry just felt a bit silly and like having a bit of fun TommyT thanks mate

jason :D