Date...

Sazzzy

I know for a fact because of my other hobby which is biking i have to plan holidays from work and funds (rallyin ain't cheap ya know) to ensure mr bank manager don't send me a letter about my overdraft, so say what you want about planning ahead, but it's nice to know, add to that for those who are travelling a distance they need to be booking hotels and stuff, i'm lucky i live a 45 min train jurney away. Some aren't, so yeah planning ahead is sometimes not a choice people can afford hun. :YAHOO:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we're talking about a weekend. And yes, I understand that some people work weekends, but the majority of people don't.

The Friday and Monday can come into play too if you have to travel half way across the country.

We had a differnent Holiday problem - trying to find two weeks free for a Holiday with no events on! If I went to all of those listed here, plus what I am doing elsewhere half the year would be gone.

You can't have too much notice.

Why is it some people on here can't cope without having their lives mapped out 12 months in advance? Do you know what you're having for dinner next Thursday? Are you so completely OCD that you can't bear not knowing what you're doing on the 9th August???

Seriously, you need to chill out a little bit. Personally I expect this event to be cancelled, but in all honesty you're just going to have to wait and see. If it happens, great, if it doesn't, so be it.

I would like a little notice as to when it's happening or if it's happening at all.....

I don't want to spend 2 months on making a costume for an event that isn't going to happen since manchester is the only place i can go to..... i also don't want to find out a date for the event and be forced to make it in a short amount of time....

I don't want my life planned out 12 months in advance but don't you think 4-6 months is cutting it alittle close for something that's supposed to be thoughly planned out?

Edited by Luna Tsukino

It's always nice to have something to look forward to. In this case a fair majority of us would have loved to have looked forward to another Collectormania in Manchester. Hence the same majority is getting more and more disgruntled at the fact that Showmasters are not keeping them up to date with information whilst they are putting out information for other events through the year. E.G. they've announced guests for the end of August, Hallowhedon even (sorry for the rhyme!)

For some it will be easy to go for a quick, unplanned day out to an event. For others it does need a little preparation and advance notice, not just for booking holidays but many other reasons. Saving money up to spend, sorting child care or even bringing them along, some people like to prepare costumes and not forgetting that it's always wise to buy your tickets for planes, trains and buses in advance as they're much cheaper. There are many reasons for wanting to know in advance if an event is going to take place. And for Showmasters to apparently just ignore their customers for this event is, in business terms, quite foolish.

I know from experience the effort, money and organisation that goes into these events, they aren't quickly put together. Well good one's aren't. You need to plan, book and organise in advance. Given the fact that they haven't told us anything I have to agree with Mr Donovan in expecting that this event will not go ahead.

I must admit to being very tempted to to use my old contacts and do an event of my own, alas I don't have the finances that SM have. Plus no-one would come to Southport! :smile:

It's always nice to have something to look forward to. In this case a fair majority of us would have loved to have looked forward to another Collectormania in Manchester. Hence the same majority is getting more and more disgruntled at the fact that Showmasters are not keeping them up to date with information whilst they are putting out information for other events through the year. E.G. they've announced guests for the end of August, Hallowhedon even (sorry for the rhyme!)

For some it will be easy to go for a quick, unplanned day out to an event. For others it does need a little preparation and advance notice, not just for booking holidays but many other reasons. Saving money up to spend, sorting child care or even bringing them along, some people like to prepare costumes and not forgetting that it's always wise to buy your tickets for planes, trains and buses in advance as they're much cheaper. There are many reasons for wanting to know in advance if an event is going to take place. And for Showmasters to apparently just ignore their customers for this event is, in business terms, quite foolish.

I know from experience the effort, money and organisation that goes into these events, they aren't quickly put together. Well good one's aren't. You need to plan, book and organise in advance. Given the fact that they haven't told us anything I have to agree with Mr Donovan in expecting that this event will not go ahead.

I must admit to being very tempted to to use my old contacts and do an event of my own, alas I don't have the finances that SM have. Plus no-one would come to Southport! :unsure:

I agree with you wholheartedly i emailed Showmasters 4 days ago about the date for Manchester and they couldnt bother to give me a reply,i have to arrange my holidays in advance,the fact i didnt get a reply to my email isnt good customer service in my veiw!!:(:chair:

• Moderators

If they've not given an update on here, then they're highly unlikely to just be answering a single person's email about the status of the show.

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean they're 'ignoring' anyone, but just that there may not be an update i.e. it might still happen, it might not. Everyone knows what the financial situation is in the world at the moment, and SMs (like any company) have to proceed with caution. A lot has changed since the original intention to place a Manchester event in the summer, and so their approach to ALL the events has been different lately.

I absolutely understand the disappointment and agitation that you're all suffering. If Manchester was my local event, I'd really want to know that I could attend it. However, if they're still not sure whether to go ahead with it or not, there's not much they can say. I know they don't take any type of cancellation lightly, whether it be an event or a guest, and will pursue every possible avenue to work around a situation.

The Manchester event has never been as successful as the others, and now it's likely to be even more expensive to get guests along to it, it might not be worth doing. Especially with the time flying by, and the organisers being aware that many people need to book time off etc. Trust me, they've been doing these things for years, so they are aware of what people need to do. They're not that stupid, and they do it when they can.

Hopefully when they make a solid decision, they'll let everyone know. But until that time, all the "I need to book time off!" statements in the world are not going to make the situation resolve itself any quicker I'm afraid. It's like when people ask for guests early because they need to book time off - do you not think they would if they could? It's to their benefit too after all, so it's not like they deliberately don't organise things to harm themselves ..

If they've not given an update on here, then they're highly unlikely to just be answering a single person's email about the status of the show.

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean they're 'ignoring' anyone, but just that there may not be an update i.e. it might still happen, it might not. Everyone knows what the financial situation is in the world at the moment, and SMs (like any company) have to proceed with caution. A lot has changed since the original intention to place a Manchester event in the summer, and so their approach to ALL the events has been different lately.

That's all well and good DB, and I think people understand that the world we're in now is very different to the one of six months ago, but it does seem like they're ignoring everyone over this event. As far as I can see using the "search" facility, the last Showmasters post in this forum was on June 19th, when amongst other things they said "The date for the summer Manchester show will be announced later this year." OK, the world's changed and things may still be completely up in the air, but no news at all for eight and a half months? It would be nice if there was just one Showmasters post in the last couple of months saying "yeah, we know we said we'd announce the date towards the end of 2008, but for various reasons things are still very uncertain. We haven't forgotten about you and we hope to have some news soon; if not we'll definitely post again by the end of April, if only to say there's no news." I wouldn't normally suggest posting just for the heck of it, but I do think that eight and a half months with nary a squeak is a little unreasonable - I mean, it's not like they're maintaining a Trappist-like silence on the other forums, is it?

Actually, on a semi-related note, whilst I wouldn't normally suggest that SM do post just for the heck of it, when they have an event that has been announced but is quite a number of months into the future (e.g. Glasgow), it might be worth just dropping a post into that forum every couple of months, if only to let people know that they haven't forgotten the event. Some might consider it a little bit of good customer service as well.

gawd at my old job we had to book a 1 day holiday wayyyy wayyyy in advance...it sucked LOL

i remember tryin to get a days holiday that was like 4 weeks later...so thats like a months notice and my boss still had a right bloody go at me for not being organised in advance lol never let me forget that!

she was a cow anyways lol and im not there anymore so its all good, but i would imagine shes not the only boss like that. lol x

I just found out end of last month that not only does my husband have to give 1months notice on all holiday he wants but all holiday requests have to be in by November or he will loose any outstanding holidays that arn't booked before then, enven though his holiday period is January-January.

Added to that only one person can have holiday at any one time (that goes for all the people working the same shift as him and there are 9) and that means if he wants to secure dates he has to put his holiday forms in ASAP

And he doesn't work in retail and never has....

Maybe thats what SM/ME get for trying to run to many events at once? A Star Wars event that had its dates changed and was replaced by another event. The Star Wars one never went ahead in the end. Another convention can't remember if it was red dwarf or Blake 7 (or some other one) the first time round, and now this one. Plus dates getting changed left right and centre, it doesn't bod well for them as a company.

SM/ME may run great events but at least other organisers aren't always changing there dates/venues/cancelling events all the time on us. I know its not happening all the time but since SM/ME have upped the amount of events they are running these changes and cancellations have only increased.

:YAHOO:

LLAP :YAHOO:

Edited by zebredy

it would be cool to hear something but am assuming they would have posted if they knew! however, I do think a post just saying SM haven't "forgotten" about Manchester would be cool! :D

with regards to holidays, I am shortly to be starting a nursing job and it is literally 24/7! so where as I appreciate that MOST people in life do work the 9-5 Monday-Friday, not everyone does! then there are people that fly in from Europe and Ireland and people like me as well that normally have to make the weekend 3 or 4 days purely because it takes THAT LONG to get there! and trains always suck on Sunday night B)

anyways I could go on and on and ON about that area and so could everyone! :wub: so lets not!

surfy sah xx

my shifts are awful, they really are i had to have all my holidays for this year in last september....

as for weekends off , i work in medical/retail and its like pulling teeth trying to get a yes or no for a weekend con

• Showmasters Admin

this is a hard year for most businesses in the UK and in till thing get a little better we will not be announcing a date for 2009

Manchester has always been a hard town to brake even on and we lost money at every event we ran there

we do still intend to run an event there this year so let see how the next few months work out

just thought i would keep you all in the loop

jason :D

And as if by magic, the shopkeeper arrived!

PING

this is a hard year for most businesses in the UK and in till thing get a little better we will not be announcing a date for 2009

Manchester has always been a hard town to brake even on and we lost money at every event we ran there

we do still intend to run an event there this year so let see how the next few months work out

just thought i would keep you all in the loop

jason :WAVE:

Thanks for getting back to us, even though "the loop" was getting into the realms of a lunar orbit! I'm sure that the majority of people understand the pressures you guys are under to put on these shows and the amazing efforts that you all make.

The problem was the lack of communication. Hopefully you'll have some good news for us in the next few months. Maybe if you move the event to a smaller venue to cut down on costs! I'm sure you've already thought of that anyway.

If you need any help then please let me know.

Thanks once again for eventually getting back to us. :YAHOO:

Cheers jason, nice to know we might get an event north of milton keynes (i'm not being nasty i know it sounds it my wording sucks lol) Love what showmasters do and unlike some other events companys have managed to stay afloat where others have not just fallen but crashed and burned, and while they do have their moments they do care bout us really. So thanks guys, still have support for you all. :blink:

I know for a fact that some people have to book time off six months in advance. Someone else stated that they needed to book their 2009 holidays in September 2008!

They might want to take this up with their employer if this is the case, since its contrary to the Working Time Regs. Just thought I'd mention.