Latest Guest Announcement Helen Sharman OBE the first Briton in space

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Latest Guest Announcement Helen Sharman OBE

First Briton in space

Helen Sharman would be the first person to describe her background as 'ordinary' but most people would agree that her achievement as the first British person in space is quite extraordinary.

Helen was born on May 30 1963 in Sheffield,After studying at Jordanthorpe Comprehensive, Helen gained a Chemistry degree at Sheffield University.

Her first job was as an engineer for a division of GEC in London and she also began studying part time for a PhD at Birbeck College, London. In August 1987, Helen became a Research Technologist for Mars Confectionery, where part of her job was to study the chemical and physical properties of chocolate!

In June 1989, while driving home from the Mars factory in Slough, Helen heard a radio ad that would change her life: 'Astronaut wanted - no experience necessary.' The only requirements were that applicants should be British, aged 21-40, with a science background, the ability to learn a foreign language and a good level of fitness.

Helen beat more than 13,000 applicants to be selected as one of the final four candidates for the position of UK cosmonaut on the Soviet space mission Project Juno. She had to undergo weeks of exhaustive physical and psychological tests but eventually made it down to the final two candidates.

She was then sent for 18 months of gruelling training at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre in Moscow's Star City. Helen underwent preparation for coping with weightlessness, living in a cramped environment, survival procedures and learning to pilot rocket systems. In May 1991 Helen became the first Briton in space when she spent 8 days at the Mir Space Station conducting scientific experiments.

Since her return she has continued to work as a scientist and has become one of the country's leading ambassadors for science, giving lectures around the world. Helen is also an accomplished broadcaster, presenting numerous science based radio and television programmes.

Helen was awarded the OBE in 1992 and is a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, Royal Aeronautical Society, British Interplanetary Society, Sheffield Hallam University and senior fellow of the University of Sheffield.

249.jpg

stm12crew.jpg

helen_sharman470_470x352.jpg

I second that Descartes, will see you there!

U seen sight of my answer to your question on A12?

von Dawson's Express

Showmasters,

You are amazing. I don't care if there are no other space guests, I will be there.

Descartes

Hi Space Fans,

Don't want to be boring but I copied my reply to Decartes question from A12, hope its of interest...

Helen Sharman gave a lecture tour and on 19 February 1995 she visited York and gave a lecture to some 300+ people at York Barbican Centre. If I remember rightly she introduced her self, discussed her career at Mars Confectionary and talked about the advert she had seen 'Astronaut Wanted: No Experiance Necassary' and discussed her selection and trips to the Soviet Union. She also showed off a few props, space food in tubes and peices of hardware. Then she showed a film of her mission to Mir and no she did not show the pink nighty shot... Finally she then held a Q and A session (The presentation was not that long perhaps around 40+ minutes) followed by a book signing - 'Seize the Moment' had been published by Victor Gollancz in 1993 and in 1995 the paper back had come out. Quite a few punters had them - I went with the York Astronomical Society and I think some 20+ of our gang went. A friend of mine's father was Lord Mayor of York at the time and we caught up with him and was cheeky, his lackys were a bit upset, I replied I had known him longer than they had been on the planet, they DID not like that! We joined the queue and when we caught up with her I think she had seen us make fun of the mayor and joined in on our banter. I asked her to say hello to Alexei Leonov and quoted 'Turn Left at Orion...' She laughed and said OK. I found her great fun and she signed her (mine...) book with inscriptions and extra words with no fuss or bother, she signed with 'to Martin, on your birthday - with best wishes Helen Sharman', my big regret is my camera was stuffed at the time and so I did not bother taking it and all my gang had not bothered with there's! Every time I catch up with them I ask for picys and draw a blank! I think she had some one like a PA with her, am not sure but I wondered if she was Helen's sister, but I could be wrong. She certainly was very gracious and freindly lady and I for one would love to meet her again.

Sorry for going on so long with incidentel rubbish but I hope it gives a flavour of the evening, admitidly a long time ago and my memory is not that good...

I for one will be pleased to meet Helen again - one more in my 'Who's Who of Space' - try www.astronautix.com for more bio info.

Regards and bests to you all

von Dawson's Express

I second that Descartes, will see you there!

U seen sight of my answer to your question on A12?

von Dawson's Express

Showmasters,

You are amazing. I don't care if there are no other space guests, I will be there.

Descartes

Hi Space Fans,

Don't want to be boring but I copied my reply to Decartes question from A12, hope its of interest...

Helen Sharman gave a lecture tour and on 19 February 1995 she visited York and gave a lecture to some 300+ people at York Barbican Centre. If I remember rightly she introduced her self, discussed her career at Mars Confectionary and talked about the advert she had seen 'Astronaut Wanted: No Experiance Necassary' and discussed her selection and trips to the Soviet Union. She also showed off a few props, space food in tubes and peices of hardware. Then she showed a film of her mission to Mir and no she did not show the pink nighty shot... Finally she then held a Q and A session (The presentation was not that long perhaps around 40+ minutes) followed by a book signing - 'Seize the Moment' had been published by Victor Gollancz in 1993 and in 1995 the paper back had come out. Quite a few punters had them - I went with the York Astronomical Society and I think some 20+ of our gang went. A friend of mine's father was Lord Mayor of York at the time and we caught up with him and was cheeky, his lackys were a bit upset, I replied I had known him longer than they had been on the planet, they DID not like that! We joined the queue and when we caught up with her I think she had seen us make fun of the mayor and joined in on our banter. I asked her to say hello to Alexei Leonov and quoted 'Turn Left at Orion...' She laughed and said OK. I found her great fun and she signed her (mine...) book with inscriptions and extra words with no fuss or bother, she signed with 'to Martin, on your birthday - with best wishes Helen Sharman', my big regret is my camera was stuffed at the time and so I did not bother taking it and all my gang had not bothered with there's! Every time I catch up with them I ask for picys and draw a blank! I think she had some one like a PA with her, am not sure but I wondered if she was Helen's sister, but I could be wrong. She certainly was very gracious and freindly lady and I for one would love to meet her again.

Sorry for going on so long with incidentel rubbish but I hope it gives a flavour of the evening, admitidly a long time ago and my memory is not that good...

I for one will be pleased to meet Helen again - one more in my 'Who's Who of Space' - try www.astronautix.com for more bio info.

Regards and bests to you all

von Dawson's Express

Thank you von Dawson. Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed account of your meeting with Helen Sharman. Its most appreciated. It makes me all the keener to meet her in April.

By the way, I have discovered a DVD which documents the flight of Soyuz TM-12 - and, yes, it shows her floating around in the pink chiffony 'jump suit' which Alexei presented her with.

If you havn't seen it von Dawson, dorp me a note to lm5eagle@googlemail.com and I will give you the details.

Best Wishes and thanks,

Descartes