Annoying hotel policy change

I can understand them wanting to stop people booking and cancelling as they had quite a few last minute cancellations but...

cant they just take a deposit? Who can afford the amount in full after spending a lot of money for the weekend already?? :P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... that's the fault of all those cancelling and not coming really, LOL The hotel lost a lot of money because of this and this time they'll have to be sure that doesn't happen once more. I do understand them. I don't like it at all myself, but I get where they're coming from. :P

That said, we're all in the same boat of not having the money after the con, so you should be fine about getting a room later on. When I asked the lady about the reservation last night she said that only 10 rooms were booked so far.

To top it off you cant book that weekend online anymore - you could before the weekend!:P

Wasn't it like that with the other cons also that the rooms are reserved for Eclipse peoples and you have to call up and to get a room? *remembers something faintly*

Edited by Haunted

To top it off you cant book that weekend online anymore - you could before the weekend! :blush:

Odd. I just did book online for Eclipse 3.

Not that I doubt you but double check as it sometimes shows bedford instead

Yeah just did. Glad I did too. It was Bedford. Wonder why it comes up with that!

Oh well Ibis it is then!

Edited by Stevie79

The Ibis must've just changed their prices as I got it for £130 a few hours ago about 5pm. I can cancel too upto the date. The only way I'll cancel it though is if the dates change as I'm definitely going.

Edited by Stevie79

is that for two nights or 3?

i tried to book it as soon as the dates were anounced and they said that it would be 145 for fri/sat/sun

and that it couldnt be cancled, if i wanted a room i could cancle i would be looking at 60 a night. thats why i've opted for the park inn next time.

I personally dont blame them as I gather a load of rooms were cancelled even up to the last minute.

I have always thought it wrong when people book rooms "hoping" to go to an event, and dont even have a ticket.

From the negative postings on here leading up to this event , it was bound to happen but why wait till so late to cancel, thats what I dont understand.

Its a shame , as it has now spoilt it for those definately going to the next one.

I think they shouldn't enforce the policy for those that they have on their record as booking the rooms in advance and actually coming to stay at the hotel and not canceling. As they know that these people are more likely not to cancel close to the event.

There's a thought actually :wub: I've booked and successfully stayed there three times now without issue, so maybe they could consider that. But then again, for people who haven't come before (therefore haven't cancelled but haven't proven themselves either) they could consider it discrimination. Also, for those who cancelled before, they could just get the other person in the room to book instead. Hmmm. I dunno.

• Showmasters Admin

I actually thought it was a really good idea, for a few reasons.

1. It means that you don't need to take into account the money you need to spend on the hotel prior to the event. The money you take with you is then completely spend-able. I used to always take the pay-up-front option if there was one for hotels that events were at so that when I was later planning money and saving it for an event, I knew that everything that I had was all mine and I wouldn't need to shell out £100+ to the hotel upon arrival.

2. Everyone is going to be in the same position. Everyone booking is going to be reluctant to spend that money at this stage, and so hardly any of the hotel rooms will sell-out quick, which means that you have time to wait before booking and paying up-front. Which gives people a chance to actually get a room in this hotel. I know that after getting home from Eclipse 1 some people who had booked tickets attempted to book a room and it was sold out - meaning they didn't get a room in the convention hotel - which is where they really wanted to be, and I didn't find that fair. This way, it eliminates that issue, and means that everyone now has the chance to book into the convention hotel, and it means that everyone that wants to go has the same fair chance of getting one of those rooms before they sell out.

3. If you cannot go to the event for some reason, as always ticket money is non-refundable - so you would lose this value. But while the room is non-refundable, can't you just sell it on to someone else? A friend that is going perhaps? As this would mean that you are still just losing the money you paid on your ticket and there is still a room paid for & guaranteed to have someone in it for ME's sake. This way you are not losing out on anything extra and SM aren't losing out either, as I believe there were people who booked tickets and yet cancelled their rooms up to the last minute for E2. Perhaps that's why it's not just the 'you need a ticket to book' policy they put in place for The Hub 2.

4. And there is also the policy of "if the event is cancelled/dates are changed all hotel rooms are refunded" - which means that if ME need to cancel the event (or change dates), then the same rule applies to hotel rooms as it does for tickets, you will get a refund. This means that if you are definitely planning on going to this event you don't need to worry about that 'non-refundable' statement, as the only reason you'll need a refund is if the event is cancelled, or the dates change. Which to me, stops people who only buy tickets are they may 'potentially' go depending on the guest list, which isn't really what the weekend cons are all about in my opinion.

Hope that makes sense to you, but that all made perfect sense to me!

I guess we'll soon see how well this policy works, but when I first heard about it on the Sunday I thought it was a great idea, to cut back on those who book-for-the-sake-of-booking, and to allow everyone the opportunity to book into the hotel. And of course, it'll help ME too. :P

*hugs*

SJ

xox

Note: this is just my personal opinion on why I liked the idea, I don't know if these were the 'real' reasons ME chose to do it or not, just my thoughts on the matter!

Edited by slaycandy

1. It means that you don't need to take into account the money you need to spend on the hotel prior to the event. The money you take with you is then completely spend-able. I used to always take the pay-up-front option if there was one for hotels that events were at so that when I was later planning money and saving it for an event, I knew that everything that I had was all mine and I wouldn't need to shell out £100+ to the hotel upon arrival.

I know why you would say that but that only works if you actually have that money up front. For most of us this means spending a payment six months before we actually get it, which is infeasible. Maybe if I was booking at the end of April...

But, I'm not really complaining. Just... talking *scratches head*

• Showmasters Admin

I know why you would say that but that only works if you actually have that money up front. For most of us this means spending a payment six months before we actually get it, which is infeasible. Maybe if I was booking at the end of April...

But, I'm not really complaining. Just... talking *scratches head*

Lol. Even if you book up in... say February... you'll still have time prior to the event to save up money for the event itself. I hate having to take LOADS of money with me to events knowing that most of it has to go to the hotel, :P It just sucks. At least this way when you arrive what is in your purse is yours! :P

Either way you would need to pay for the hotel, and need to have the cash to do so, AND need money to take to the event, this just spreads it out a little more evenly. Need some money for x date, and some more money for y date.

Maybe that's just the way I look at it!

Lol, I booked my room before this weekend, so didn't make a payment, I'm just hoping they don't randomly cancel the room, :P EEP!

SJ

xox

I think it's a pain in the back-side. Yes, a lot of people cancelled rooms, but if the hotel kept a waiting list of people who wanted to book a room but couldn't, then the problem would be minimised.

My sympathy is with people who pay in advance, then find out at the last minute that they can't attend (for a fully legitimate reason) and lose the EXTRA money on top of the non-refundable ticket.

I think it's something to put people off coming to the event, which is bad for everyone.

I think it's a pain in the back-side. Yes, a lot of people cancelled rooms, but if the hotel kept a waiting list of people who wanted to book a room but couldn't, then the problem would be minimised.

My sympathy is with people who pay in advance, then find out at the last minute that they can't attend (for a fully legitimate reason) and lose the EXTRA money on top of the non-refundable ticket.

I think it's something to put people off coming to the event, which is bad for everyone.

I think its already been said , that if for some legit reason someone cant go, there is usually someone sitting waiting on a room if given enough notice.

I cant see the policy putting people off going to an event they really want , as they would still need a room and it may just mean they book it a bit later