a message about Eclipse 2

• Showmasters Admin

hi all

i just wanted to say thanks to all the people that bought tickets and supported the event you all made this event happen so thank you all for this ;)

now when we started the first event this year with Eclipse 1, Heroes was at its biggest point and was in the press all the time and everyone was going on about it, then we had the second season which had mixed revues and some of the hype and the fan base left, as was recorded in the US ratings. :WINCE:

Tim Kring even said that things had to change, and they have and i think season 3 is great and a lot more of of the fans will come back to the show over the next few months. but this has not helped us with Eclipse 2.

now when we started to plan and run Eclipse 2 we knew that there may be filming at this time, but we felt that it would not effect us to much as we had worked around getting guests that were filming in the past, we managed to get them to travel out first thing on the Friday and get them into england by Sat morning and fly them out Sunday night,this worked out in the past so we felt that this was going to be fine.

well one thing we did not count on is that everyone was trying to get as much filmed as early they could as there is still fear of a actors strike which is still very reel, so its full on set for filming and this has hit us hard with getting some of the guests for this event and so many of them wanted to do this event it was silly and very frustrating.

this has not helped with the sale of tickets for this event as well , the first event sold around 800 tickets and this meant we could go nuts and get all the A list guests we wanted, but this event has only sold around 300 and thats a big drop and maybe its a bit down to the recession and people not having much to spend at this time ? and also not getting the big names, :huh: but from the start people did not rebook for this event so it is odd as the Eclipse 1 was a lot of fun.

but this being a small even is a good thing, as i must say small events are much more fun, as you get very close to the guests and have a more intimate experience for all the fans, so we know everyone will have a great time, we have also gone out to town on the Sat night party this year so just wait and see what we have in store for you and the guests this weekend :dance:

now some thoughts on Eclipse 3

as most of you know we do have a great relationship with most of the main cast of Heroes ;)

SO FAR WE HAVE WORKD WITH

Sendhil Ramamurthy .... Mohinder Suresh...... Eclipse 1

Jack Coleman ... ............Noah Bennet............LFCC

James Kyson Lee .......... Ando Masahashi ......CM

Hayden Panettiere ........ Claire Bennet ..........LFCC / FX FLORIDA

Milo Ventimiglia ............ Peter Petrelli ..........LFCC

Adrian Pasdar .............. Nathan Petrelli ........CM GMEX/ LFCC

Cristine Rose ............... Angela Petrelli .........Eclipse 1

Zachary Quinto ............ Sylar.......................FX FLORIDA

Noah Gray-Cabey ........ Micah Sanders..........Eclipse 1/XF GMEX

Jimmy Jean-Louis ........ The Haitian...............CM GMEX

Leonard Roberts .......... D.L. Hawkins............CM MIDLANDS

Dania Ramirez ............. Maya Herrera...........Eclipse 2

Santiago Cabrera ......... Isaac Mendez...........Eclipse 1/CM

Adair Tishler ................ Molly Walker............Eclipse 2

David Anders ............... Adam Monroe..........Eclipse 1/LFCC

Tawny Cypress ............. Simone Deveaux.....Eclipse 1

Stephen Tobolowsky ..... Bob Bishop.............Eclipse 2

Kristen Bell .................. Elle Bishop..............FX FLORIDA

Jessalyn Gilsig ............. Meredith Gordon.......Eclipse 1

Matthew John Armstrong Ted Sprague............CM

George Takei ............... Kaito Nakamura.......CM/CM MIDLANDS

Malcolm McDowell ......... Daniel Linderman.....CM GMEX

Eric Roberts ................. Thompson...............BAD WOLF

Alan Blumenfeld ........... Maury Parkman.......Eclipse 1

Nichelle Nichols ............ Nana Dawson...........CM

Dominic Keating ........... Will.........................G MEX

Erick Avari ................... Chandra Suresh......CM

Bruce Boxleitner ........... Robert Malden........CM

lots of the guest we have worked with really wanted to be with us this weekend and most have promised to come to at least one of our events next year :lol:

we are in the best position to run Heroes Conventions and have proved we can run amazing Conventions, and as we are fans to we want to get the big guests over here for Eclipse 3 just as much as you do

we know we have been unlucky this year with guest,but we want you all to know we have been busy talking to most of the guests and working out who will be at what event next year, and we should have one or two big names to announce for Eclipse 3 :YAHOO:

but we will not be giving any clues as to who the guests are in less we get a contracts back before the weekend, so please do not ask us who they are, as we have learnt from the past not to let anything out till its done, so we will not be announcing anyone till its in stone i hope you can understand this ;)

so if you feel you can trust us to run a good fun event then support Eclipse 3 and we will prove to you we are the best people to run Heroes conventions in the UK.

one last thing, we want you all to know we will get most of the cast of Heroes to a con in the next 2 years,

so just watch us :thumbup:

thanks for reading all this

and see you at the weekend

jason :WAVE:

• Moderators

Thanks Jason.

The most important thing to me is that there's a commitment to bringing over Heroes guests regularly. It's my one main collection I've got going on, and so many times I've started one thinking 'wow, we've got a good few, I bet there'll be loads more' and then it's just not happened ..

That includes ones like 24, and Lost to a certain extent, but my Heroes collection is something I'm very happy with so far, and it looks like I'll be able to continue to add to it.

I've never been into Star Wars or Doctor Who, and even if I was I probably couldn't afford the number of guests you get from those :thumbup: so it's nice to have something regular to take part in, but that isn't insanely huge :YAHOO:

I certainly hope the luck will change in the future. We all know you've got the contacts etc as you've proven in the past, so we just need things to fall into place. Fingers crossed of course :lol:

Fingers crossed for Masi, Ali and Greg esp too eventually!! And I didn't realise FX was SM... actually I think I may have done but forgot. You learn something new every day!! How come there is no section for that on here/ link to the website?

• Showmasters Admin

Fingers crossed for Masi, Ali and Greg esp too eventually!! And I didn't realise FX was SM... actually I think I may have done but forgot. You learn something new every day!! How come there is no section for that on here/ link to the website?

we used to book the guest for that event and run the guest zone, but we got to busy to help every year and stopped as of last year,

in fact we worked with Hayden at that show before we worked with her at london and it was the only time we worked with Zachary but thats before he got Star Trek but we are working on this :thumbup:

jason :lol:

The two Eclipse events have been/will be my two main holidays from work this year. Despite E1 just being a long weekend holiday for me, it was a good enough holiday to rival a couple of weeks abroad - I imagine E2 will be the same, and I look forward to saying the same this time next year about E3 and E4.

The point being that Eclipse was great enough that I only had to take a handful of days holiday all year, so I can claim back all my unused holidays at time and a half at the end of the year. So in a way, I guess SM have actually made me money for having fun. Rock on;)

Jason,

I think another reason why you did not sell more than 300 tickets is that this convention got absolutely no news for something like 4-5 months. Fans couldn't see anything happening with this con and in the meantime, you organized 7 or 8 events that most of your fans attended and where they spent their money. Then the announcements came too late and people had no money left or it was too expensive to book the travels. It's also very risky to organize a con about a show at a date when you knew they could film, especially with Heroes where most of the guests have a lot of scenes to shoot. In my view, these risks should have been stated more clearly from the beginning.

That said, I wish everyone a lot of fun at Eclipse 2. Small events are indeed more intimate and give more time with the guests there who I'm sure will all be very nice.

You do right not announcing or even hinting at any guests for future events unless everything is finalised. I knew from the wording that when Jack Coleman was mentioned at E1 it wasn't 100% set in stone as it was said contracts hadn't been signed, but people hear things from different perspectives. So best to just not say until sure. =)

Jason,

I think another reason why you did not sell more than 300 tickets is that this convention got absolutely no news for something like 4-5 months. Fans couldn't see anything happening with this con and in the meantime, you organized 7 or 8 events that most of your fans attended and where they spent their money.

I agree. A lot of people can't afford to go to all of the cons. But I can understand the problems around filming schedules with getting guests confirmed.

I also think there could have been more advertising, to draw in fans of the show who aren't on this forum.

There was an advert in Heroes magazine for E1. I understand with only having 2 guests at the time, putting an advert in in time probably wouldn't be financially viable. But if you have a few guests in advance for E3, advertising in Heroes magazine (preferably back cover, as people who pick up the mags in the shop but don't buy will also see it!) should definately bring more attendees for you. Heroes still has a huge fan base, but those fans need to know in order to attend!

• Showmasters Admin

Jason,

I think another reason why you did not sell more than 300 tickets is that this convention got absolutely no news for something like 4-5 months. Fans couldn't see anything happening with this con and in the meantime, you organized 7 or 8 events that most of your fans attended and where they spent their money. Then the announcements came too late and people had no money left or it was too expensive to book the travels. It's also very risky to organize a con about a show at a date when you knew they could film, especially with Heroes where most of the guests have a lot of scenes to shoot. In my view, these risks should have been stated more clearly from the beginning.

That said, I wish everyone a lot of fun at Eclipse 2. Small events are indeed more intimate and give more time with the guests there who I'm sure will all be very nice.

fair points but i would say we have to run two events a year, why ?

1 well if there is to big a gap between event the next event wood suffer as people would forget or louse interest

2 if we only ran one event a year then another event organizer would just start up a rival event and split the attendance and then this could make getting big names hard to pay for but this may happen anyway now and thats why we now rely on the friendships we have made with the cast to make the events go well for the next event

next "no news for something like 4-5 months" well we were a bit to blame on this and keeping people up to date on stuff is something i think you can see on here is getting better but i can also say that trying to get info on when guest would be available 2 3 or even 5 months in advance was so hard it was dificalt to give any new news so i agree we could have keep people in the loop more but as there was not much to tell it was hard

and one thing which also hit us hard with getting some guests NO ONE WAS KILLED OF at the end of the show this year, so if they were in the show filming we just had to what

all in all we have been unlucky but we know what we have in store for next year so we look forward to running a great event this weekend and getting on this the next event

one thing we do say is we keep learning and we do not make the same mistake twice

thanks for the input it all helps

jason

Thanks for your answer Jason. Here are some additional comments

fair points but i would say we have to run two events a year, why ?

Of course not but maybe 7-8 events a year instead of 15 would be more adequate. I mean one C MK, one LFCC, maybe one Midlands (or G-Mex) and one Glasgow as SM and 3 conventions for Massive Events. I think that number would be fantastic.

1 well if there is to big a gap between event the next event wood suffer as people would forget or louse interest

I don't understand this point at all ? Loosing interest ?? But you ran far less events before and had

a lot of people attending. And after all people come to conventions either because they like the

show or because they want to meet guests. But they won't loose interest because there is a 2 months

gap between two events. I don't understand what you mean here.

2 if we only ran one event a year then another event organizer would just start up a rival event and split the attendance and then this could make getting big names hard to pay for but this may happen anyway now and thats why we now rely on the friendships we have made with the cast to make the events go well for the next event

Well, this comment is valid for Heroes maybe but 1) this rivalty has been in place for a long time and running more events does in my opinion not help it 2) to be honest and I don't want to start a debate about it but you did the same with Stargate (I can safely mention it as I'm not attending Stargate cons anymore and this has nothing to do with this situation, I simply moved to something else, I did enough Stargate cons).

next "no news for something like 4-5 months" well we were a bit to blame on this and keeping people up to date on stuff is something i think you can see on here is getting better but i can also say that trying to get info on when guest would be available 2 3 or even 5 months in advance was so hard it was dificalt to give any new news so i agree we could have keep people in the loop more but as there was not much to tell it was hard

I understand about the guests as announcing them too early might result in a lot of cancellations. I was more talking about slmaller things that some people do like like theme parties, other small things maybe but just to keep the excitement. That was done for Eclipse 1 but not for Eclipse 2 where the section became really dead for 4-5 months. I don't say it was your fault necessarily, but certainly a factor that influenced the sales.

and one thing which also hit us hard with getting some guests NO ONE WAS KILLED OF at the end of the show this year, so if they were in the show filming we just had to what

LOL and every character can resurrect or become another person, so you never know :P

Anyway, looking forward to the pics and comments on this event. Sadly I can't go. I won't be at Eclipse 3 as the dates now clash with a big german event I'm attending every year. Of course I can't blame you for this clash.

Lams

Edited by lams9999

• Showmasters Admin

i think you miss understand, the points i was making are to do with Eclipse and Heroes only not running events in general

but i will talk about them but not now but another day as i have to collect guest from air port now

but can we keep this on topic Eclipse or Heroes please thanks all

talk latter

jason :P

Jason, thank you for the frank and honest message. I think it's clear you understand the factors that caused the low turnout for this event. I don't think we're going to ever agree on the number of events in the calendar, but I do understand your point (even if I don't agree with it).

To be honest, it's messages like that that are a big part why I like SM/ME events (and will continue to support them in future). It's very rare that an organiser comes online and admits their mistakes and underlines their commitment to correcting the mistakes (as was most evident at E1, where the carnage of Saturday morning was corrected by Saturday lunchtime!)

I do fear that the nature of conventions is changing quite a lot (due to the economic climate and increased competition). I suspect that whilst there will always be a core of people that will book for SM/ME events, regardless of guests, there will be an increasing number that will book later, depending on the guests being announced. Of course, this makes it very difficult for organisers, as it is very difficult to judge what ticket sales you will get.

You've mentioned previously, the idea of getting together with some regular attendees/crew/stall holders to get some feedback and talk through stuff with and I think this is a great idea. I also think it would be good to open up another area on teh forum, where SM/ME events in general could be discussed, rather than seeing teh same subjects come up in every event section.

I will be honest with you, I dont see what all the fuss is about with the guest list.

I for one think it is a fantastic line up, And i for one am looking forward to this one more than the first Eclipse.

I am looking forward to meeting all the guests, Well lets be honest i'm looking forward to meeting Dania Ramirez (Hubba Hubba).

So lets all have a great weekend with like minded people and hopefully make a friend or two.

Keep up the good work Showmasters.

Edited by DIRKBLACK

I will be honest with you, I dont see what all the fuss is about with the guest list.

I for one think it is a fantastic line up, And i for one am looking forward to this one more than the first Eclipse.

I am looking forward to meeting all the guests, Well lets be honest i'm looking forward to meeting Dania Ramirez (Hubba Hubba).

So lets all have a great weekend with like minded people and hopefully make a friend or two.

Said it before and will say it again

The guest list this time is awesome, glad you agree

Enjoy :P

Thank you Jason for taking the time to come and post this. I understand it must be very difificult for you all with so many events to run but you are doing a great job, its a shame the show is filming at the moment as I would love to meet some more of the main characters but I think we have a good line up and I'm sure this will be a terrific weekend.

See you there!

I hope everyone has a great weekened this weekend...

I was due to go but have decided against it and will put the hotel/petrol money towards Xmas!!!!

I would love to attend E3 and will be very interest in the way things develop over the coming months

Again - everyone enjoy!

Thanks