Time to put a policy in place

gebes

With the announcement of an anime voice guest , I'd respectfully bring to your attention about signs and glomping which goes with the anime cosplay world.

I witnessed at an event signs that read

Free Sex

Free Snogs

Free Hugs

Free Drugs

Free Rape

and Glomping which I believe leaping onto unsuspecting people. I realize ( Sadly ) that eventually anime would enter SM events. Which is why I hope you will lay out some ground rules for what people can and can not do.

I'm sure you would not want to have your events associated with people carrying the above signs. So hopefully either a forum post advising new members who will join due to the announcement, just what is and is not permitted at a Showmasters event.

Others who were at said event will know what I refer to.

Regardless of the (quite big) guests I really wanted to see at this event I avoided it for this reason. I've never been "glomped" but at these events, I'm constantly barged past by these teens who have no manners and no thought for those who are just simple sci fi and movie fans. I decided not to go as I've recently had a broken foot and if people even slightly barge into me or step on me as before, I'd be in a lot of pain and trouble. Let alone what would happen if I was glomped!!

These teens do not let the rest of us have a good time, and its been getting worse and worse each year at this place, and yet the organisers just allow it to get like that.

We really do NEED SM toset down some ground rules and have security that if they see these signs/ anything like this going on, it needs to be stopped ASAP.

Oh and yea, the free rape thing I heard about and its DISGUSTING. That stupid person has just no clue about the real world, and god forbid anything like that happening to them. I won't even go into just how wrong that sign is. Condoning any criminal activity as serious as that makes them as bad as the criminal themselves.

Edited by Lizzy

• Showmasters Admin

at the end of the day it is down to the event organiser to control this sort of thing

and we will

just because we are having manga and anime at this show it will not go this way

we have had manga, anime and WWF before at all our shows but we look after the show and manage it

so please believe us we will not let the event go this way "Free Hugs" fine its a bit of fun the rest no way

i hope that helps

showmasters :chair:

It does sway the fears alot that you've replied quickly , I do appreciate that there are people who enjoy this culture.

But is good to know that unlike elsewhere , there will be a level of control applied to this scene at LFCC.

Thanks for the reply SM... we all know you're different... its just the new fans it will attract that are worrying.. and hopefully no snowball effect...

Agree 100%. We'll see what it's like, but I really hope this doesn't affect the atmosphere - I like SM events just as they are :smile:

Glomping which I believe leaping onto unsuspecting people.

If somebody jumps on an unsuspecting me (or indeed anybody else), then that's assault. If that happens, one is entitled to use reasonable force to defend oneself from the perceived threat - and if you don't know it's going to happen you can reasonably assume it to be a serious assault or worse, meaning the use of substantial force in defence. Anybody jumps me unawares is going to get hit. Hard. And possibly more than once.

Or should I carry a sign saying "Free Violence"? :poki:

Glomping which I believe leaping onto unsuspecting people.

If somebody jumps on an unsuspecting me (or indeed anybody else), then that's assault. If that happens, one is entitled to use reasonable force to defend oneself from the perceived threat - and if you don't know it's going to happen you can reasonably assume it to be a serious assault or worse, meaning the use of substantial force in defence. Anybody jumps me unawares is going to get hit. Hard. And possibly more than once.

Or should I carry a sign saying "Free Violence"? :poki:

lol - I think it depends who's doing the "glomping" though - if (as is likely) it's a 14 year old girl, I'd be likely to politely extricate myself and ask her not to do it again. If it was Amanda Tapping, I *probably* wouldn't complain :)

• Showmasters Admin

Firstly I think it's unfair to label all Anime fans as unruly teens. Obviously they are not all like that, and I think we should stop this unfair slander towards them. Most of us here are Sci-Fi fans and have at some time been told what we like is odd or geeky or wrong. Well I'm sure you didn't like being told that so please stop passing that negativity on to another group of fans that you seem to feel you're better than. It's starting to feel like bullying to me, and that really is not nice.

Saying that there does appear to be an element within the Anime fans that can be an issue and do things most people would consider inappropriate.

Well trust us this will not be allowed at a Showmasters event. And if you do see it, tell a crew member.

On a general note, as with any of our events we expect our attendees to respect each other and act in a reasonable manner. Jumping on or pushing other people is not reasonable, running about and being unruly is not reasonable. Anyone not acting reasonably will be warned and then if needed removed.

Glomping - 100% no. As already stated it's illegal anyway.

Signs -

The following are suggesting inappropriate or illegal activities, and so will definitely be a no:

Free Sex

Free Drugs

Free Rape

The next 2 I don't have a problem with if they are being worn by an adult (i.e. over 18).

Free Snogs

Free Hugs

I personally would be very unhappy with an organisation that let my under 18 year old (No I don't have any by the way) walk about with a sign offering anyone to kiss or hug them. So I certainly don't want it to happen at a Showmasters event.

Cheers Too Tall, Now at least there are some guidelines thought out.

I'll not even begin to mention what an anime dealer was yelling out that involved an anime paddle. I'll leave that to people's imagination :D

I admit that after witnessing things elsewhere , it really made me wonder about that culture, and was a little worried about that side of things happening at a Showmasters event.

So to whom it may concern, if some of my recent posts have been somewhat negative, I will apologise here and now.

I've never witnessed any of this glomping or "Free sex/hug//drugs/snogs" shenanigans and it wouldnt really bother me that much but do see it's bad taste and unethical.

What I'd be more concerned about is that the anime stuff would eclipse the film/tv guests like it seemed to do the other con.