DANIEL KASH - Aliens

nicky

Daniel Kash quoted a line on my poster from the film (Aliens) that isnt even in it. "I'm too old for this s***." I'm certain the line wasnt in it so checked when I got home. I didnt wanna contradict him so let him write it anyway as he'd already started. It may have been scripted but he does not say it on film.

Apparently Spunkmeyer says it when he wakes from from hyper-sleep but I checked the DVD on Sunday morning before I went back and he does not say anything until the mess hall scene. I wanted to tell Daniel this on Sunday but I had to leave before he came back from lunch.

Did anyone else experience this line?

Edited by nicky

It was the Special Edition I watched.

There's only 2 versions; the theatrical and the Special Edition. But I'm 99% certain he doesnt say it in either. He did mention he'd just seen it in the illustrated screenplay that someone brought for him to sign but then again there are lines that in there also that loads of other characters have that arent in the film too.

It was the Special Edition I watched.

There's only 2 versions; the theatrical and the Special Edition. But I'm 99% certain he doesnt say it in either. He did mention he'd just seen it in the illustrated screenplay that someone brought for him to sign but then again there are lines that in there also that loads of other characters have that arent in the film too.

You sure? I seem to remember that in between the Theatrical and the Directors cut there was a TV-only edition that cut in a bit of footage (some of which ended up in the Directors Cut). Maybe I'm thinking of T2.

You sure? I seem to remember that in between the Theatrical and the Directors cut there was a TV-only edition that cut in a bit of footage (some of which ended up in the Directors Cut). Maybe I'm thinking of T2.

Hey, this is me you're talking to. :clap: There were 2 official versions of Aliens like I said. The ITV edit (with the Australian dubbed Hudson, "friggin' A!") adds no new lines or footage. It was T2 that had the 3 versions you speak of.

And yes, I did say, "No, that's from Lethal Weapon!!"

Edited by nicky

Lol I will bow to the expert :clap: It's worth checking the theatrical cut though - for some reason that line does ring a bell for me.

Funnily enough on balance I actually prefer the Theatrical cut - there are some elements to the Directors cut I like (e.g. the sentry gun sequence), but most of the other sequences I think Cameron was right to slash - I don't think we needed to know anything about Newt's parents for instance, and the idea of Ripley having a daughter didn't work for me either (although I recognize it gave some weight to her 'maternal' actions later).

I feel much the same way about T2 - I don't think the Directors cut added much, and in fact took away some of the pace of the original cut. E.g., don't get me wrong, I *really* liked the fact that Biehn had a moment in the film, but objectively it didn't really work, and it slowed down the pace.

Daniel Kash quoted a line on my poster from the film (Aliens) that isnt even in it. "I'm too old for this s***." I'm certain the line wasnt in it so checked when I got home. I didnt wanna contradict him so let him write it anyway as he'd already started. It may have been scripted but he does not say it on film.

Apparently Spunkmeyer says it when he wakes from from hyper-sleep but I checked the DVD on Sunday morning before I went back and he does not say anything until the mess hall scene. I wanted to tell Daniel this on Sunday but I had to leave before he came back from lunch.

I've just watched the scenes in the 'Director's Cut' in which Daniel Kash appears, and I can't find him saying that line.

Here's the photo he signed for me. I asked him to put his most famous quote, "Hold on a second. There's something..." because it was appropriate to the photograph. He told me that this line was dubbed in the film.

kashautoquote450lu7.jpg

the idea of Ripley having a daughter didn't work for me either (although I recognize it gave some weight to her 'maternal' actions later).

That to Cameron, according to his DVD commentary, was what the script was all about; motherly love. In fact Aliens was written from a screenplay he wrote called "Mother". I thought the whole daughter subplot was vital to the film and gave a completely different story. and as you said explained Ripley's motives. It also adds more substance to Newt calling Ripley "Mommy" at the end so it was important to see Newt's parents as well I think. They both lost something but then found something else. I think the sentry units were just to show how determined the Aliens were and add to the siege-feel of the situation.

The only new thing in T2 that was a welcome addition was the chip scene and ones where the T-800 tries to become more "human" plus the chip scene shows John's ability to take inituitive and be a leader over even his mother. The end narration supports this as Sarah says, "if a machine can learn the importance of human-life, maybe we can too." Or somthing like that.

I asked him to put his most famous quote, "Hold on a second. There's something..." because it was appropriate to the photograph. He told me that this line was dubbed in the film.

Did he say what the line was supposed to be then? Or do you mean improvised, not dubbed or that it was looped over in post-production in ADR?

Edited by nicky

I asked him to put his most famous quote, "Hold on a second. There's something..." because it was appropriate to the photograph. He told me that this line was dubbed in the film.

Did he say what the line was supposed to be then? Or do you mean improvised, not dubbed or that it was looped over in post-production in ADI?

Daniel told me that it was somebody else's voice that spoke those words in the film.

He said that if you listen carefully, you will hear that the voice clearly isn't mine.

He went on to tell me that he is Canadian, and the dubbed voice had a distinctive New York accent!

That to Cameron, according to his DVD commentary, was what the script was all about; motherly love. In fact Aliens was written from a screenplay he wrote called "Mother". I thought the whole daughter subplot was vital to the film and gave a completely different story. and as you said explained Ripley's motives. It also adds more substance to Newt calling Ripley "Mommy" at the end so it was important to see Newt's parents as well I think. They both lost something but then found something else. I think the sentry units were just to show how determined the Aliens were and add to the siege-feel of the situation.

Oh yes I can see the angle, and I think it works thematically - I'm just not sure it's worth the loss in pace, particularly when much of it can be implied... I do like your interpretation though about "They both lost something but then found something else"

The only new thing in T2 that was a welcome addition was the chip scene and ones where the T-800 tries to become more "human" plus the chip scene shows John's ability to take inituitive and be a leader over even his mother. The end narration supports this as Sarah says, "if a machine can learn the importance of human-life, maybe we can too." Or somthing like that.

Yes, I remember Cameron saying that he wanted to keep the scene, but ultimately it slowed the film down too much as part of an already weighty middle, and the audience could infer much of it anyway. I think he's right - objectively the middle of the directors cut is like hitting a brick wall - something had to go. The smiling scene too - that didn't add anything that hadn't already been added by the "five low, too slow" scene.

I believe it comes from the rare Malesian Director's recut version with Spanish subtitles and redone dubbing, available in a collector's box on Christmas Eve of 1996. Don't tell me you don't own it, Nicky? :dance: