My thoughts on Collectormania Midlands 2

fatbloke

Well I really enjoyed it. Yes it was very quiet, but that was to be expected with all the cancellations. But the very fact that it was so quiet meant that we could spend ages talking to the guests, without ever feeling rushed. Everyone had open queues, with no need for tickets, and they all seemed much more relaxed in this kind of environment. Paul McGann in particular was brilliant, as he was happy to chat away and add personal messages to every photo.

Not sure how much the stallholders were enjoying it, though, as nobody was very busy. As a bonus for those of us buying stuff, though, everything seemed to be cheaper this year!

My only major disappointment is that the next show will be in Birmingham. It was nice to have a major Midlands event that wasn't in the land of the dodgy accents, but it looks like it'll be allroooooiiiiiggghhhhttt at the Hilton next year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to admit I enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would. Yes it was quiet (as one person put it 'a cathedral type atmosphere'), but in some ways that was better. After packing my treasured autographs away I wasn't at all worried that they would be damaged be the marauding crowds, as has happen at other events that I have attended.

All the guest were great, taking time to talk and pose for photos. They seemed to have understood that the turn out would be low after some of the cancellations and it felt as if they made an extra effort with the punters.

Also got the chance to really rummage through the traders stalls and have a good chat with some of them. If it's busy they, understandably, don't always want to talk as there is money to be made. It was good to hear some of their stories and it reminded me that most of them are collectors as well.

Nice bit of marketing by SM to have the free coach from the station to the arena. This no doubt attracted a few more people to the show.

All in all an enjoyable day, just wish I could have attended on the Sunday as well.

where's the rest of the comments that were in this thread?

I was wondering that too. I wanted to re-read the first message in this thread, but now it's gone! :D

so if you have anything to say that isn't to showmasters likings...it gets removed?

Edited by Dr Evil

• Moderators

Can we try and keep this topic for feedback on the show please, rather than commenting on what did or didn't happen to previous comments?

I'm sure Showmasters will come on at some point and explain. But for now, let's try and not turn it into a problem. I'm sure they're pretty busy at the show at the moment.

Thank you.

Can we try and keep this topic for feedback on the show please, rather than commenting on what did or didn't happen to previous comments?

But the posts that were deleted were feedback too, albeit negative. Is it only permissable to post positive feedback from now on?

• Moderators

But the posts that were deleted were feedback too, albeit negative. Is it only permissable to post positive feedback from now on?

I'm perfectly aware of what was said. I'm not commenting on whether anything was removed, and why. That's nothing to do with me.

All I'm saying is I don't want things kicking off on here while SMs and TT etc aren't around because it's during the event.

Go ahead, carry on posting feedback, and any 'problem' relating to moderating can be dealt with later.

I'm sure Showmasters will come on at some point and explain. But for now, let's try and not turn it into a problem. I'm sure they're pretty busy at the show at the moment.

Thank you.

but that just it...if anyone posts negative feedback,will they also be removed?

where's the rest of the comments that were in this thread?

I was wondering that too. I wanted to re-read the first message in this thread, but now it's gone! :D

so if you have anything to say that isn't to showmasters likings...it gets removed?

Looks like some kind of X-Files conspiracy here :D

Don't let yourself being fooled folks... the truth is out there!

Thank you.

:D

• Moderators

Please don't roll your eyes at me - like I've said, Showmasters and Too Tall etc are at the event, therefore aren't likely to spend time on here sorting out any arguments or problems on here.

I simply respectfully asked that people are allowed to use this topic for feedback rather than commenting on whatever happened before, as I have no idea.

As one of the few moderators that will be posting on here over the weekend, I felt it was a very polite and understandable request to try and keep the peace on here. Shame some people don't see it that way.

Edited by DavidB

Please don't roll your eyes at me - like I've said, Showmasters and Too Tall etc are at the event, therefore aren't likely to spend time on here sorting out any arguments or problems on here.

I simply respectfully asked that people are allowed to use this topic for feedback rather than commenting on whatever happened before, as I have no idea.

As one of the few moderators that will be posting on here over the weekend, I felt it was a very polite and understandable request to try and keep the peace on here. Shame some people don't see it that way.

Surely as a moderator you would therefore know what was removed and why. If Sm and TT are busy at the show (understandably so) then the removal must have been actioned by a moderator. If you have the power to moderate and by proxy remove posts then why would you not have the power to comment on the removals and why they were made.

No i have no idea what the posts were like but it does seem a bit harsh to remove posts purely for the reason that they were negative, afterall not everyone is going to love the show....at least they attended. Of course i note that some of the feedback on these removals has been posted by first time posters so they may (or may not) be from other organisations stirring things up. However as already stated if you are a moderator and were involved in the removal whether it is for genuine reasons or not then why not explain, this would clear the air and stop the debate in its tracks.

Anyhow, back to the show people.....what was it like??

• Moderators

I've already clearly stated that I don't know why they were removed, and likely no one will be around to explain it either. I have no idea why I'm having to explain myself to everyone, as no-one seems to be taking any notice of what I say anyway.

If I was involved, I would've already explained why I did so, but I was just trying to hold the fort so to speak, and play peacemaker. Of course that's clearly not working, and people are hellbent on wanting to carry on with the argument.

Being polite and asking you all respectfully to leave it hasn't worked, so go ahead :dance:

I enjoyed parts of the event today and not others. I spoke to a couple of Bond guests who I weren't expecting to speak to, so that was a highlight. However I won't be going to this event again. Will still go to Autographica at the Hilton Metropole and maybe Milton Keynes, but not to this one again. I felt uncomfortable at times, especially when standing in the Dirk Benedict queue.

Edited by SunSpeed

I actually thought that my post earlier today was feedback and to be honest cannot fathom AT ALL why it was removed.

I'd appreciate an e-mail or an explanation for it's removal either from a mod or from SM after the show.

I felt uncomfortable at times, especially when standing in the Dirk Benedict queue.

How?

From memory it was just a queue of about 10 or so people. Aren't there usually mnore folks than that in front of you in a normal ticketed queue?

• Moderators

I actually thought that my post earlier today was feedback and to be honest cannot fathom AT ALL why it was removed.

I'd appreciate an e-mail or an explanation for it's removal either from a mod or from SM after the show.

I'm sure they'd be happy to do so. I'm just trying to keep everyone calm while the show's still on, so it doesn't turn into some kinda Showmasters witchhunt.

Hope you understand :dance:

It was hardly a critical post - it was just the feedback that Showmasters said they wanted.

There wasn't anything wrong with your original post at all, but why are you asking for something you won't get? We all know why the post and everything in the thread that gave a description of some people's less than wonderful experiences was removed.

It's the same reason why the Dreyfus cancellation thread was emptied.

When you can't adequately respond to people's complaints and well founded accusations, you just remove it all and hope it goes away.

After all, can't have the natives finding out the truth.

Showmasters do take feedback on board and I've had some very good talks with them about concerns I've had, and seen them taken on board.

Five pages of whining in a thread about a guest stops being constructive after the first page and starts being something that's going to put off any guest that attends on future. They read this forum.

Of course, nobody but the deleting-party can answer why posts were deleted today, but I don't think it's as simple as things just getting deleted because omigodtheresnonpositiveopinionsinthereandihavenoideawhattodowiththem.

Edit: I'd also like to add that sometimes things really do just disappear, threads in particular. I've had threads spontaneously vanish in my own forum with nobody actually touching them at all. So just in case that is said as a response and you don't believe it, please know that it does happen in real life :dance:

Edited by Psychosis

Well I have to say that today's event was GREAT.

Not a single virtual queuing system in sight - they were not needed.

Plenty of room to get around, wide aisles. It was good to actually have a chance to look at the replica weapons stall, as at Milton Keynes, you can't get within a few feet of it due to the mass of people around it!

Can get from one end of the hall to the other in less than thirty seconds, unlike the Milton Keynes event where it takes thirty minutes!

The guest talks were free, apart from the occasional microphone failure, it was good to hear what Dirk Benedict had to say about the A-Team.

Not a single sign saying NO PHOTOGRAPHS, although we were told not to take any of Dirk until later. We came back later, and Dirk posed for a photo.

As for Dave Holland, he may only be an extra in Star Wars, but what a character! He'd had a few drinks by the end of the afternoon, and before we left we saw him walking back with another, but he was great to get to know.

This time we brought my mother along, who's nearly eighty, and she had a great day as well - having a chat with Paul McGann made her day, and she purchased more items from the stalls than we did!

Meeting Paul for the second time, he autographed the photo we took of him at MK 2005

On top of all of that, my son finally met Davros.

The two Aliens spooked my wife a little though, especially whilst hissing around the cafe!

I was quite surprised about the lack of information on the web about the area, but just to let you know what is in the area:

There is a Coventry City Football Club shop just outside, they sell the kit plus lots of team Collectables (for anyone that is interested)

The retail park next door not only has a Tescos, but also a Marks & Spencer, Borders, Starbucks Coffee, Boots Chemist, Pizza Hut and a Burger King.

Parking is £3, (even if you have a disabled badge). Just don't make the mistake we did and drive into the retail park - if you do drive down the the roundabout and turn right.

Thanks very much for Showmasters for a great event, shame Dwight couldn't make it, hopefully next time.

It's a shame next year's is moving to same location as this year's Autographica/Terry Nation Tribute - drinks and lunch in the hotel is expensive, and with only a Subway in the NEC, if we go we will probably take lunch with us this time.