Less quantity more quality - LFCC 08 Spoilt us

dijon1322

i wasnt surprised when dwight and richard cancelled in the least infact im still surprised dirk is still on for it (respect to him) , problem is lfcc 08 put in a lot of great actors/actresses etc and set the bar very high likewise in another respect im kinder glad in a way it cost me a fortune for lfcc 08 and when i saw this line up i thought here we go again banks going to be empty,

the point im trying to make is i appreciate that showmasters try and put on X amount of shows per year to cater to everyones tastes where ever they may in the country to this we salute you but likewise i think thats there undoing ...some time quality is better than quantity and thats what is happening theres that many shows being banged into a year

1. its hard to afford them all

2. its hard to get the time off for them all

3. it ends up that the guests you wanna see are spread among 5 or 6 different events which is difficult

4. they get people winging because the show they are going to really hangs on 2 or 3 major guests and predictably from time to time they cancel and then the show really doesnt warrant a visit

i can see what showmasters are trying to do i really can but i think a little less focus on quantity of shows, but focus on quantity, LFCC 08 was for me perfect the guests were great there were plenty of time to plan and save up and all issues from prev year had been resolved

any one else agree ??

• Moderators

As this has been discussed many times in multiple topics before, you might want to search or look around to see previous opinions. It might save everyone covering old ground.

However, I will state one thing - the 'theory' that less events = Showmasters having more time to sort out 'quality' guests is extremely flawed. They would have less dates to work with for a start, which will increase the difficulty of the job. And just because they have more time to work on guests, it certainly doesn't guarantee anyone can or will attend.

Basically all I'm saying is that dropping a few events doesn't guarantee a quality guest list for the others. I respect that people believe it would be a step in the right direction, and maybe it would be, but there will always be problems with guests attending no matter how many events in the schedule.

i def agree with you guests will always cancel thats for sure but say in an ideal world they had four events in a year more or less evenly spread and got lots of guests to go to each one then if one or two biggies did cancel it wouldnt hurt as much... take lfcc 08 for instance there was enough good guests that if one or two biggies did cancel the show still had enough pull to warrant the visit.... i know its hard and theres always arguements for bth sides

i will say one thing that was a good decision and respect to SM was when they combined sportsmania with midlands that was wise thinking and they will repeat that in the future if they are wise...

I do agree.

But this debate has already flooded the forum especially since Richard Dreyfuss has cancelled, and according to Jason's reaction in that specific threat it looks like he doesn't seem to agree that the more events there is, the most difficult it is to set a good line up for each and every one of them... and he's still promising us amazing guests for each and every one of those shows... just like he did for this very one, with the results we all know.

So if the organizers themselves doesn't realize there is a problem multiplying the events, i don't see what we could say or do that would make them think twice about it... They look convinced that multiplying events is a good thing to do, solely based on the fact that some guests can only attend at some time of the year rather than another... I can't understand why they are only justifying their politics using that argument, looks a little bit weird to me especially looking at the line up for this event... because where are those famous guests that are available at this time of the year and not at another then???

It's pretty obvious, objectively, that since the number of events has increased, the quality of those has decreased except for the biggest of them all (like the Superbowl of SM's events which is LFCC), and it's quite bad faith to my eyes to say that this is not true.

• Moderators

Oh I certainly see the logic behind it, and I do understand where you and others come from.

I guess I just think it's a very tough business for them to run whether it's 12 events a year or 4, as so much of the organisation side isn't down to them at all - i.e. guest work schedules, agents, fees etc. There's just so much that isn't really down to them unfortunately.

I'd love for every event to be hugely successful like LFACC, and hopefully there'll be some improvements in the future - or at least a change in luck!

• Moderators

London started off with 2 a year I believe. They learnt from that lesson and decided to do it once but make it a mega-show of sorts. Who knows if they'll feel a similar move could work with Midlands, or if they want to keep it as two 'smaller' shows. I would imagine the latter.

• Showmasters Admin

we tried to a year as this way people get to know about the event and it take less time to get the event going, we start a new event and see who it go's and we then work out what works and what dose not and change it to suit

all in all each city is different and we can only learn by running the event

at least we do not try it once and just give up after one event

we do have a much bigger plan but it takes years to unfold and so far its all looking good

Jason :headscratch:

How about more famous UK guests.. least its more realistic.. USA are a lot harder to get obviously.

Jeremy Irons

Sean Bean

More UK Harry Potter maybe!, Daniel, Rupert etc. Alan Rickman... even one would probably make up for any USA guest that cancels.

And just because your from the UK, dosnt mean you live here.

This is especially the case with actors, who either live out in the US where the work is or split their time. Either way your still figuring out flights and times.

And cable (AKA the GBP/USD FX rate) is nothing like as good for us as it was this time last year, so they're a lot more expensive in real terms this time round