Latest Guest Announcement - David Holland

showmasters

I have watched A New Hope way too many times than is healthy and ive never noticed this chap.

Yeah like i said too many 5 second wonders, was he even credited as starring in the film? Sounds like desperation. maybe focus on more "proper" stars than "extras! Otherwise no one will bother coming and it's the end of what could be a good convention. I guess i'll wait for london! :unsure:

its not desperation, its completism

ok i'm relatively new to the con scene compared to a lot of peeps, i would consider myself a pretty big star wars fan so its been exciting for me to meet some of the stars of the films after watching them since before i can remember.

but i have never noticed this guy in the many many times ive watched and have absolutely no interest in travelling to meet him. i'd rather we got one actual star of the film rather than lots of extras.

someone who may have been a stand in for c3-po's feet in one shot and a guy who just happens to be sitting in fron of han solo in a scene. is this really the best sm is capable of now? half of the guests put together have about 10 minutes and 4 lines between them in the films they are apparently famous for.

i really cant wait to see what they put on at glasgow, i really hope they pull their finger out and get some decent guests.

Yeah like i said too many 5 second wonders, was he even credited as starring in the film? Sounds like desperation. maybe focus on more "proper" stars than "extras! Otherwise no one will bother coming and it's the end of what could be a good convention. I guess i'll wait for london! :YAHOO:

It's a catch 22 situation. Many Star Wars fans have met 50+ people from the trilogies and always want another name to add to that list, but have less need of the regulars. Then there's regular film fans who have no interest in extras.

I've got a book signed by more than 30 from the original trilogy (only started 10 years ago) and I'd have got him and the others in London as I was there, but its simply not worth the effort, time or expense for me, to go to Milton Keynes when I've other events on.

Edited by TerraHawk

Yeah like i said too many 5 second wonders, was he even credited as starring in the film? Sounds like desperation. maybe focus on more "proper" stars than "extras! Otherwise no one will bother coming and it's the end of what could be a good convention. I guess i'll wait for london! :chair:

It's a catch 22 situation. Many Star Wars fans have met 50+ people from the trilogies and always want another name to add to that list, but have less need of the regulars. Then there's regular film fans who have no interest in extras.

I've got a book signed by more than 30 from the original trilogy (only started 10 years ago) and I'd have got him and the others in London as I was there, but its simply not worth the effort, time or expense for me, to go to Milton Keynes when I've other events on.

But the event is not in Milton Keynes. :D

Dave Holland, as with many others of what some are refering to as "extras", have had many more roles than you perhaps give them credit for. It is indeed these guests that I will travel far and wide to see.

Dave also palyed 009 in Octopussy....a memorable role, where the clown crashes through the plate glass window of the ambassadors house.

Dave is a stuntman and actor....without these people, the larger stars wouldn't be who they are today. We should be celebrating them,and their contributions to cinematic history. The stoies these guys have are much more interesting - everyoneknows the big star stories....these guys give you an insight into what really went on.

As far as autograph collecting goes....a Dave Holland autograph sells for more than a Brosnan,Dalton or Moore due to it's rarity.

I think there should be more respect shown on this forum.

Dave Holland, as with many others of what some are refering to as "extras", have had many more roles than you perhaps give them credit for. It is indeed these guests that I will travel far and wide to see.

Dave also palyed 009 in Octopussy....a memorable role, where the clown crashes through the plate glass window of the ambassadors house.

Dave is a stuntman and actor....without these people, the larger stars wouldn't be who they are today. We should be celebrating them,and their contributions to cinematic history. The stoies these guys have are much more interesting - everyoneknows the big star stories....these guys give you an insight into what really went on.

As far as autograph collecting goes....a Dave Holland autograph sells for more than a Brosnan,Dalton or Moore due to it's rarity.

No - it was Andy Bradford who played 009 and came crashing through the windows of the British Embassy.

Edited by steviegr

• Moderators

I have watched A New Hope way too many times than is healthy and ive never noticed this chap.

Yeah like i said too many 5 second wonders, was he even credited as starring in the film? Sounds like desperation. maybe focus on more "proper" stars than "extras! Otherwise no one will bother coming and it's the end of what could be a good convention. I guess i'll wait for london! :WAVE:

If you don't like the guest, don't buy an autograph and don't go near his table, simple.

What you have to understand is that there are a number of Star Wars collectors who do like these guests, and would much rather add a new name to their collection than see some random 'stars' as you call them. It's called a collection, and we like to add things to them. I have autographs from nearly 600 actors from the Star Wars films, and if Mark Hamill was a surprise guest at this show, do you know whose line I would get in first? Christopher Muncke's, that's whose. I have plenty of Hamill's and have met him before, while Chris is a new name for my collection and has lines in ANH.

I was just as excited about meeting Dave Holland the first time he did a show; in fact I crewed for him and spent a great day hearing many many tales from his career in film and TV. I will definately be seeing him again and getting some more graphs.

What I won't be doing is posting in threads for all the guests I have no interest in, complaining that announcing them is an act of 'desperation'. These shows cater for lots of different tastes and the sooner you lot accept that the better.

Graham

Andy Bradford played 009 runnning through the forest chased by teh Meyer twins. Andy couldn't make the shoot for teh window crash, and Dave Holland did the window crash

No - it was Andy Bradford who played 009 and came crashing through the windows of the British Embassy.

Yeah like i said too many 5 second wonders, was he even credited as starring in the film? Sounds like desperation. maybe focus on more "proper" stars than "extras! Otherwise no one will bother coming and it's the end of what could be a good convention. I guess i'll wait for london! :D

If you don't like the guest, don't buy an autograph and don't go near his table, simple.

What you have to understand is that there are a number of Star Wars collectors who do like these guests, and would much rather add a new name to their collection than see some random 'stars' as you call them. It's called a collection, and we like to add things to them. I have autographs from nearly 600 actors from the Star Wars films, and if Mark Hamill was a surprise guest at this show, do you know whose line I would get in first? Christopher Muncke's, that's whose. I have plenty of Hamill's and have met him before, while Chris is a new name for my collection and has lines in ANH.

I was just as excited about meeting Dave Holland the first time he did a show; in fact I crewed for him and spent a great day hearing many many tales from his career in film and TV. I will definately be seeing him again and getting some more graphs.

What I won't be doing is posting in threads for all the guests I have no interest in, complaining that announcing them is an act of 'desperation'. These shows cater for lots of different tastes and the sooner you lot accept that the better.

Graham

If those shows were catering for lots of different tastes i would have made the trip for sure... But so far it looks to me like only

- Dr Who

- Star Wars

- Harry Potter

- James Bond

and maybe Alien

fans may be pleased with this event.

There's an obvious lack of variety in the guests that has been announced but i may understand fans from the above shows or auto collecting people may be pleased with the guests.

As they are fans or auto collecting people i assume it's hard for them to understand that such a guest can be extremely insignificant to all the others.

Which does not mean of course we should have a lack of respect for the person itself.

He's surely a nice guy, but as a guest you can't expect that choice from Showmasters being approved by everyone, such a choice would not be a problem at a usual time but i understand it can upset some people that have been promised big names when the rest of the line up is so poor as well.

So yes that kind of guest is to me as well appearing as an act of desperation, sorry, i don't see why anyone should be offended because i or other people think so.

Those forums are here to discuss things and express our opinion, and not just to express our happiness of having such or such guest attending, so hopefully those threads about new announcements will always be filled with messages from people who like/people who don't like... That's what makes the beauty of it :P

Edited by God L'Eponge

Im going to be controversial now.......i never got the star wars thing, ive tried i really did, but after what seems like a half an hour of two robots endlessly wandering across the desert i lose interest.

i too, am NOT a SW fan, people think im mad, i care not

I think you will find Andy Bradford had the acting role of 009, but the stunt of the clown was done by Dave Holland. Check IMDb for credits.

I think you will find that Andy Bradford did the acting role of 009, but the stunt was done by Dave Holland. Check IMDb for credits.

Those forums are here to discuss things and express our opinion, and not just to express our happiness of having such or such guest attending, so hopefully those threads about new announcements will always be filled with messages from people who like/people who don't like... That's what makes the beauty of it :unsure:

I vehemently disagree - posting in a general thread for the event to say that you aren't interested in a guest is one thing, but posting in the announcement thread for that particular guest is, frankly, rude. This is especially so given that as Showmasters have informed us on several occasions, guests can and do read the forums. I'd hate it if a guest were to pull out of an event due to some ill-considered remarks on their thread announcement page.

Those forums are here to discuss things and express our opinion, and not just to express our happiness of having such or such guest attending, so hopefully those threads about new announcements will always be filled with messages from people who like/people who don't like... That's what makes the beauty of it :D

I vehemently disagree - posting in a general thread for the event to say that you aren't interested in a guest is one thing, but posting in the announcement thread for that particular guest is, frankly, rude. This is especially so given that as Showmasters have informed us on several occasions, guests can and do read the forums. I'd hate it if a guest were to pull out of an event due to some ill-considered remarks on their thread announcement page.

But what's the difference between posting in a general thread that we aren't interested in a guest and posting the same thing in the guest announcement thread if the guest reads the forums anyway? He will still notice that some people are just not interested in meeting him, but in another topic.

And not being interested doesn't look to me like an insult at all. Everyone is appreciated by some, hated by others, you, me, and a guest being a person like you and me, the same goes for him as well.

Everyone with a common sense would accept that state of things and would surely not pull out of an event just because he read some bad comments on his annoucement page.

As far as i notice, i didn't see any ill-considered remark on this thread or any other one related to a guest (only between members of this forum but wisely SM did delete those threads)

If a post was that rude towards a guest, i think SM would rightfully delete it.

No, what i read on here are only comments from people who are (rightfully) disappointed by the guests announced as those guests weren't, once again, the big names they were expecting after having been promised such.

Edited by God L'Eponge