in the picture

mr fagan

After attending the last MK show recently i was very dissapointed on the lack of choice of 10x8 photos for Danny Webb i could not believe that there were photos to be had of his character from ALIEN 3. The most of them were from Dr Who. I asked a lot if not all the photo dealers if they had any and they said no. So i left that weekend without a DW autograph. No disrespect to Mr Webb or anybody else but i find that a few of the shows i have been to recently when it comes to choice of photos it leaves a lot to be desired. Surely in the case of Mr Webb an actor who has an impressive CV,there would be a logical conclusion to have a SELECTION of photos showcasing his VARIOUS work rather than have about 8 to 10 photos of ONE character he played from ONE tv programme.

Now i have been taking my own photos to the shows lately but in the case of wherever i cannot find a suitable photo and then there are none suitable at the show then i have no choice but to leave it there.

So when i attend the Midlands show this weekend i really dread to think what photos say RD will have on the table, let me guess about one from American Graffitti two from CE3K and about 20 from Jaws and possibly more from Poseiden.

I can also relate that a lot of people out there reading this will say that actors are more famous in some roles than others yes i agree but at the same time lets have a CHOICE and variety of photos and let the individual punter make up his/her own mind as to which one to have rather than just make do with A or B or C and get one just for the sake of it rather than leave it.

To me having a colour portrait 10x8 is the best item to get signed and if the choice (or lack of) photos is going downhill then i will have to call it a day on the autograph front as there are only so many books /posters and other items from my collection that i can actually bring with me to get signed instead,and having one item signed by 20+ guests just looks (to me) busy and messy. My golden rule is one or two sigs per 10x8. Rare instances The Goodies The first three doctors.

I am looking forward to attending this show and i will be hounding the photo dealers for some cool 10x8s as i am very wary and am not leaving to chance the choice of photos that may/may not be on offer.

After attending the last MK show recently i was very dissapointed on the lack of choice of 10x8 photos for Danny Webb i could not believe that there were photos to be had of his character from ALIEN 3. The most of them were from Dr Who. I asked a lot if not all the photo dealers if they had any and they said no. So i left that weekend without a DW autograph. No disrespect to Mr Webb or anybody else but i find that a few of the shows i have been to recently when it comes to choice of photos it leaves a lot to be desired. Surely in the case of Mr Webb an actor who has an impressive CV,there would be a logical conclusion to have a SELECTION of photos showcasing his VARIOUS work rather than have about 8 to 10 photos of ONE character he played from ONE tv programme.

Now i have been taking my own photos to the shows lately but in the case of wherever i cannot find a suitable photo and then there are none suitable at the show then i have no choice but to leave it there.

So when i attend the Midlands show this weekend i really dread to think what photos say RD will have on the table, let me guess about one from American Graffitti two from CE3K and about 20 from Jaws and possibly more from Poseiden.

I can also relate that a lot of people out there reading this will say that actors are more famous in some roles than others yes i agree but at the same time lets have a CHOICE and variety of photos and let the individual punter make up his/her own mind as to which one to have rather than just make do with A or B or C and get one just for the sake of it rather than leave it.

To me having a colour portrait 10x8 is the best item to get signed and if the choice (or lack of) photos is going downhill then i will have to call it a day on the autograph front as there are only so many books /posters and other items from my collection that i can actually bring with me to get signed instead,and having one item signed by 20+ guests just looks (to me) busy and messy. My golden rule is one or two sigs per 10x8. Rare instances The Goodies The first three doctors.

I am looking forward to attending this show and i will be hounding the photo dealers for some cool 10x8s as i am very wary and am not leaving to chance the choice of photos that may/may not be on offer.

i totally agree, i aint moaning but i do agree, because when i met ernie hudson last yr i was suprised at the lack of winston photos they was, good quality ones infact so im glad i took my own for ernie to sign, same goes for robert englund, when my dad met him, he told robert englund how much a fan he had been of his since 'V' and we was both surpirsed that there was no V photos availble.

so yes more choice would be great!!

same goes for richard dreyfuss as you said. i am trying hard to find good quality pics of him from STAND BY ME as it is 1of my fave films, so iwant a pic of his as 'the writer/older geordie' to sign, as i can prob guess there wont be any availble at the show.

Sorry to be blunt but Showmasters do try hard to get photos to everyones liking. If your not happy then take your own. Many a time I've brought my own just in case.

Enjoy the show

yeah i always try and find something of my own to take then if there is a photo i like there then i always got a choice.

After attending the last MK show recently i was very dissapointed on the lack of choice of 10x8 photos for Danny Webb i could not believe that there were photos to be had of his character from ALIEN 3. The most of them were from Dr Who. I asked a lot if not all the photo dealers if they had any and they said no.

So i left that weekend without a DW autograph. No disrespect to Mr Webb or anybody else but i find that a few of the shows i have been to recently when it comes to choice of photos it leaves a lot to be desired. Surely in the case of Mr Webb an actor who has an impressive CV,there would be a logical conclusion to have a SELECTION of photos showcasing his VARIOUS work rather than have about 8 to 10 photos of ONE character he played from ONE tv programme.

To me having a colour portrait 10x8 is the best item to get signed and if the choice (or lack of) photos is going downhill then i will have to call it a day on the autograph front as there are only so many books /posters and other items from my collection that i can actually bring with me to get signed instead,and having one item signed by 20+ guests just looks (to me) busy and messy.

My golden rule is one or two sigs per 10x8. Rare instances The Goodies The first three doctors.

Thats much easier to read

• Moderators

Another point is that if you can't find a suitable photo, what makes you think Showmasters can?

To be fair, they usually use the same sorts of places as most attendees would to source images, unless a guest has their own.

i really dread to think what photos say RD will have on the table, let me guess about one from American Graffitti two from CE3K and about 20 from Jaws and possibly more from Poseiden.

If you were running an event like this, and you had to come up with a few pictures of RD that people might like, what would you choose? Mr Hollands Opus? Stakeout?? No -you'd pick exactly what you've listed above. In fact I'd be surprised if there were any from Poseidon.

This has been said about 1.5 million times on this forum, but it's always worth saying again - you don't pay for the pictures. SM provide the pictures just in case you haven't brought anything. They are free. A little fellow sits at a computer for hours finding images that are as high quality as possible, including captures from DVD, and sits and prints them all out. That little fella does his best to pick what he thinks people might like, and for Richard Dreyfuss that's not going to be a Stakeout picture. When people think of Dreyfuss, they think of Jaws, and CE3K. So he finds the best pictures he can, and prints them all out.

Seriously, if you want a particular picture signed, what's the problem with bringing it with you?? I don't don't understand what you're annoyed about?:D

All you have to do is bring the picture that you want with you. Simple?? ;)

Edited by MikeDonovan

A little fellow sits at a computer for hours finding images that are as high quality as possible, including captures from DVD, and sits and prints them all out. That little fella does his best to pick what he thinks people might like

Could we send the "little fellow" on a couple of computer courses, so he could complete his role a little better?

He learns something. Nobody complains anymore.

Win! Win?.

Oddly enough I've very rarely had any issues with the 8x10 choice at events. Maybe only once I had to bring my own one, and that's in the past 5 years.

Maybe I'm just not that fussy :D

I have certainly had quite a few issues with photo choice or lack thereof for certain guests at Showmasters events. It's great for you, that you are not that fussy, but when spending between £10 and £25 on an autograph I am certainly "fussy" about what kind of picture I get signed. Whilst the photo choice for many guests is very good, there are some guests where it is not as the original poster stated.

I do not understand why DavidB, when anybody has any kind of "negative" criticism regarding Showmasters, you always have to answer. In every single forum/thread. Why can't you just understand that people are always going to have different opinions, whether they be positive or negative. I often feel like I can never express any feelings that are of a negative or critical nature, because you (and yes I mean you specifically) will be the first one to reply telling me I am wrong.

I have a lot of positives to say about Showmasters too, and I do say them where appropriate. Oddly enough, I've very rarely had any issues with people disagreeing with me in those instances.

• Moderators

And how is a computer course going to fix the selection of decent useable pictures available for a guest?

It's not.

They can only work with what they find. You're talking like you think they can't make photos properly.

Could we send the "little fellow" on a couple of computer courses, so he could complete his role a little better?

He learns something. Nobody complains anymore.

Win! Win?.

Pointless comment that makes no sense??? :D:headscratch:

BRING THE THING YOU WANT SIGNED WITH YOU.

Why is that so hard for you to understand??

Oddly enough I've very rarely had any issues with the 8x10 choice at events. Maybe only once I had to bring my own one, and that's in the past 5 years.

Maybe I'm just not that fussy ;)

I have certainly had quite a few issues with photo choice or lack thereof for certain guests at Showmasters events. It's great for you, that you are not that fussy, but when spending between £10 and £25 on an autograph I am certainly "fussy" about what kind of picture I get signed. Whilst the photo choice for many guests is very good, there are some guests where it is not as the original poster stated.

I do not understand why DavidB, when anybody has any kind of "negative" criticism regarding Showmasters, you always have to answer. In every single forum/thread. Why can't you just understand that people are always going to have different opinions, whether they be positive or negative. I often feel like I can never express any feelings that are of a negative or critical nature, because you (and yes I mean you specifically) will be the first one to reply telling me I am wrong.

I have a lot of positives to say about Showmasters too, and I do say them where appropriate. Oddly enough, I've very rarely had any issues with people disagreeing with me in those instances.

I have to agree. You can be a right pleb sometimes DB. Just back off and let peeps slag off SM every now and then. I'm sure they aint gonna be crying over it as much as you do. And we all come to the events and spend our hard earned anyway.

Regardless, isn't the customer always right. And I am a massive customer.

HELL YEAH YOU JUST GOT SERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Moderators

lol a pleb? Cheers.

For the record, I'm a customer too. I've spent god knows how much on autographs from Showmasters in the past five years.

Guess what? That means I have to choose an 8x10 from their selection most of the time.

Do you think I'm going to pick up some sub-standard piece of cr@p just because it's offered by Showmasters so I must love it? No. It's my autograph collection, something I value very much, and if I wasn't happy with the selection then I'd go and get something else.

I haven't done that any time apart from with John Rhys Davies because I wanted a Sliders picture specifically so I went and purchased one. I then went back, paid my ££ AS A CUSTOMER, and I was happy with what I bought.

Is that anything to do with me moderating? Nope. Is this me offering my opinion as a customer alongside everyone else? Absolutely.

Sure, I'll defend them when some people are being ridiculous, but I simply offered MY opinion as a CUSTOMER in this topic, and I think a couple of you need to stop being so narrow minded and accept the fact that I spend my money just like all of you. If I'm personally happy with the selection then that doesn't mean I'm defending them, it just means I'm happy! Shame on me hey? :D

*edit*

Sorry for the additional but I have to ask .. umm, where exactly did I say anyone was wrong? Did I criticise anything that anyone said?

I'm pretty sure I just commented on my own situation right? So what's the big freakin' deal?

Edited by DavidB

It comes down to what is availible to nick off the Internet*. Loads of Dr Who websites, the BBC has high quality photos.

*then raid the DVDs

You can make some good composites from DVD screen captures, Use noise reduction, agressive grading etc.

The only SM print I have is from the Chris Lloyd signing, and that was a case of quickly picking the least worst, rather than best. Scanning a real photo and duping that would have been better.

Edited by TerraHawk

Pointless comment that makes no sense???:headscratch::headscratch:

BRING THE THING YOU WANT SIGNED WITH YOU.

Why is that so hard for you to understand??

Some of the photographs available are absolute "sub-standard pieces of cr@p" [DavidB]

The guy needs computer training.

End of.

So - you quote me, and then you reiterate a point that has nothing to do with what I said???

WHY WON'T YOU BRING WHAT YOU WANT SIGNED WITH YOU?????

To quote Chris Tucker, do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth???

Edited by MikeDonovan

if you yourself struggle to find a picture that you want signed can you imagin how hard it is for showmasters to find good quality pictures for 40+ guests....

i struggled to find a good quality christopher lloyd picture at lfcc, and i forgot my dvd's so i didn't bother either.

some con's i've been to don't even give you the privalage of a free picture, you have to bring your own.

im sure if you can find a picture you would like you could post it for showmasters , and i meen a full high ress picture so its not all grainy when its printed out...

lol a pleb? Cheers.

For the record, I'm a customer too. I've spent god knows how much on autographs from Showmasters in the past five years.

Guess what? That means I have to choose an 8x10 from their selection most of the time.

Do you think I'm going to pick up some sub-standard piece of cr@p just because it's offered by Showmasters so I must love it? No. It's my autograph collection, something I value very much, and if I wasn't happy with the selection then I'd go and get something else.

I haven't done that any time apart from with John Rhys Davies because I wanted a Sliders picture specifically so I went and purchased one. I then went back, paid my ££ AS A CUSTOMER, and I was happy with what I bought.

Is that anything to do with me moderating? Nope. Is this me offering my opinion as a customer alongside everyone else? Absolutely.

Sure, I'll defend them when some people are being ridiculous, but I simply offered MY opinion as a CUSTOMER in this topic, and I think a couple of you need to stop being so narrow minded and accept the fact that I spend my money just like all of you. If I'm personally happy with the selection then that doesn't mean I'm defending them, it just means I'm happy! Shame on me hey? :D

*edit*

Sorry for the additional but I have to ask .. umm, where exactly did I say anyone was wrong? Did I criticise anything that anyone said?

I'm pretty sure I just commented on my own situation right? So what's the big freakin' deal?

The big freakin deal is that you CONSTANTLY throw your two pence in, even when your point is not needed and you are always defending SM even when they do things wrong.

In this instance, someone was complaining about the lack of photo selection. Your initial response was that you have only ever had this problem once, as in you don't know why he was moanin in the first place as YOU WERE ALRIGHT!!!! You also state that maybe SM can't find the relevant pics needed, but it's their JOB to find those pics for the events. If they cant, then they aren't doing their job properly!

Why do you think most peeps start their threads by sayin "I know i'm gonna get reamed for saying this, but...", it's because they know you are gonna shoot them down as soon as they mention a fault within an SM show.

I go to all of the events around the country and every one I know knows of you. You are infamous for your unashamed @RSE L!CK!NG. It is really pathetic that everyone see's it, but you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont get how.. be you calling davidb a pleb and whateva else.. makes you any better then what you justc alled him?

If you dont like photos that SM provide then bring your own..

They got you the guests didnt they, sudnt u just eb greatful for that?!

Oh and there jov to provide the pics? No..

Snce wen did they ever promise you a 10x8 picture to get signed? iv never seen this? Its just an extra thing they give you, not part of there job.

lol a pleb? Cheers.

*edit*

The big freakin deal is that you CONSTANTLY throw your two pence in, even when your point is not needed and you are always defending SM even when they do things wrong.

In this instance, someone was complaining about the lack of photo selection. Your initial response was that you have only ever had this problem once, as in you don't know why he was moanin in the first place as YOU WERE ALRIGHT!!!! You also state that maybe SM can't find the relevant pics needed, but it's their JOB to find those pics for the events. If they cant, then they aren't doing their job properly!

Why do you think most peeps start their threads by sayin "I know i'm gonna get reamed for saying this, but...", it's because they know you are gonna shoot them down as soon as they mention a fault within an SM show.

I go to all of the events around the country and every one I know knows of you. You are infamous for your unashamed @RSE L!CK!NG. It is really pathetic that everyone see's it, but you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal attacks against fellow forum members, customers AND moderators will not be tolerated. I rarely and mean RARELY involve myself in topics outside of my moderation abilities but this has gone too far. What started out as a simple topic regards picture quality has now decended into personal attacks against members, rest assured, THIS STOPS NOW !!!

• Moderators

Did I say anything about Showmasters in my initial post? Or did I comment about what I do when I get autographs?

If MY "point" is not needed, then why is anyone's point needed in this topic? Or is it just because it's me? Because this certainly feels like a personal attack more than anything.

Yes, I have been alright at the majority of events. But then so are other people, but are you having a go at them for being ok with the selection? Nope. Again, it just seems you want to personally attack me. I didn't quote anyone, I didn't refer back to anyone personally, I was just contributing a personal experience to a topic. Isn't that what people do on here?

If I really have to address the Showmasters situation specifically - they offer free photos, it's not their job to offer you ANYTHING, and there is no way they'll have every single photo possible. It'd be a complete waste of time, money, and resources. They have to be realistic in their approach, and that is to go for the most popular things that someone has been in. But this has already been covered, and NOT by me, so please take that point on board .. even if it has to be from someone else.

Did I shoot someone down in my initial post? No. Fact is at least a couple of people in this topic felt the need to jump on me and insult me. That's not me causing any trouble; it's you.

If I cared what anyone thought about me, I would've left years ago. Fact is I'm allowed an opinion as much as you are, but I'm capable of putting it over without personally attacking anyone. Other people, including yourself apparently, have to resort to petty little insults.

I offered a personal experience, an opinion, and an analysis of how the situation works. If anyone wants to counterpoint that sensibly, I'm more than happy to discuss it sensibly. However I have very little time for bullies who want to attack me regardless of any normal fair point I may have made.

Just one quick shout out to the original poster - I haven't picked apart anything you've said, and I respect your opinion. I apologise for having unnecessarily brought this sh!t into your topic - I certainly didn't expect such harsh responses over an innocent comment.

As well as his own freedom as a member to post his own views, have you noticed the word "Moderator" to the left of his posts? He is the most active moderator I've noticed on this forum, so if he's there to answer people's posts, then he is perfectly within his right to do so.

Some of the photographs available are absolute "sub-standard pieces of cr@p" [DavidB]

The guy needs computer training.

End of.

The photos I got at Eclipse (also SM event) were all great quality and good choices. Besides, you pay for the autograph, not the photograph. The autograph would be a few pounds more otherwise.

The big deal is, DavidB is a moderator for this forum, which belongs to SM. Whether he is giving his own opinion or responding as a moderator, what's so difficult to grasp?

Edited by Lenatalia

The photos I got at Eclipse were all great quality and good choices. Besides, you pay for the autograph, not the photograph. The autograph would be a few pounds more otherwise.

A current production should have high quality photos in circulation. Less work to do there,

Surely though if they didn't print all those photos (some of which go unused) the price of the autographs should be cheaper? Not that you really want all that change floating about! Rounding prices to the nearest £5 has its advantages.