DVDs of Showmaster Event to Help Fans Remember What Their Time the

BLACKKNIGHTS

DVD Of Events from showmaster  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you Want One and buy one

• Yes
    • No

SM said they were doing this as far back as LFCC2 in Nov 2004...it never came to fruition, nobody knows why, everyone just gave up waiting for it. :P

I would imagine that if it contains anything other than fleeting glimpses of the guests (e.g. if it contained footage of any of the talks), it would require a release from the guests involved and potentially payment of a fee. Given that most people would want such footage (I don't think that there would be much of a market for a DVD just showing cues of people milling around, some folks in cosplay and some guests signing), and that such releases may be rather difficult (or at least time-consuming) to procure, I would imagine that SM have decided it's rather too "non-core" to their activities. Don't forget, all the footage would need to be edited together with a modicum of professionalism, or the boards would be deluged with people moaning that they had paid however much for some "shoddily-edited home movie" or similar. I guess the costs involved with the releases and even basic editing mean that it would likely only be a revenue-neutral (if not loss-causing) venture, so hardly worth their candle. (Remember, the guests would probably also have editorial control over the thing, so would probably want to see a finished product, and specify cuts if they weren't happy with some of what they said. All time-consuming stuff)

As far as I remember it was just the talks that I saw being filmed from what appeared to be standard PD-150s on tripods. I think there were three cameras and as I said all on tri-pods so the variation of the shots would have been minimal.

I think that the petition I started shows a truer picture of how many people are interested in this, it comes from people who are not only on this forum, but people who did and didnt go.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/sig...gi?JI1940&1

With you on this one - have voted but why do we need another vote when the signatures are already on the petition and as shown on there surely the answer is already shown - YES people want a dvd

YES people want a dvd

It surprised me that this question even had to be asked. If people dont want a DVD they obviously wont have to buy it. Of course everyone wants to see a DVD, who wouldnt?

EDIT: OK, I just saw 2 people voted "no" ;)

Edited by nicky

Whats the point in having a No vote? you what to know how many people will buy this not how many wont and you wont get a true picture on here, cause loads of people dont even know this forum even exsits.

And I think the hub 2 website should link the hub 2 forum not the hub one.

Whats the point in having a No vote?

Well I guess if people feel really strongly about it they can vote no to say "No, I'd rather SM didn't waste their time and effort on this, they would be better off spending their time on booking more guests/updating their websites/answering their e-mails and telephones/sorting out decent 10 x 8s for upcoming shows/sorting out a better seating/lighting/queuing/PA system" or whatever else the various other complaints or suggestions for things for SM to improve that get mentioned on here...

they could post videos online (and it will help promote the events)

With the huge amount of footage shot of the conventions' autograph queues, I imagined promotion was one of the main reasons for the videoing. Of course, any DVDs of the actual stage talks / performances would be great mementos and reminders of how good the events were.

• 4 weeks later...

TommyT has summed up pretty well the main issues with doing this above. Maybe for a closed event like Eclipse or whatever it might be workable, but not for MK or even LFACC - it would cost a lot more than you might think by the time you include releases, royalties, etc. and to be honest I'd be surprised if there would be enough of a market for it to make it worthwhile economically. Putting some basic footage of the talks up on YouTube or whatever, now that's a different matter (assuming the guests agree)...

Putting some basic footage of the talks up on YouTube or whatever, now that's a different matter (assuming the guests agree)...

I think if the guests knew the talks were being filmed they might not be so open in their answers. I mean I can hardly imagine John Landis being so candid about what he thinks of Eddie Murphy on camera or what Dirk Benedict thought of that chick from The A-Team being fired. Even if Jason Mewes' talk was filmed he'd have had to tone it down. Is that what we really want?

Putting some basic footage of the talks up on YouTube or whatever, now that's a different matter (assuming the guests agree)...

I think if the guests knew the talks were being filmed they might not be so open in their answers. I mean I can hardly imagine John Landis being so candid about what he thinks of Eddie Murphy on camera or what Dirk Benedict thought of that chick from The A-Team being fired. Even if Jason Mewes' talk was filmed he'd have had to tone it down. Is that what we really want?

Totally agree. The Hub certainly wouldn't have gone down some of the passages it did if it were being filmed, and I fr one would certainly prefer to see the uncensored, candid panels!

What did Landis say? I couldn't make the talk - was pretty annoyed too - would have liked to have been there.

Edited by MikeDonovan

What did Landis say? I couldn't make the talk - was pretty annoyed too - would have liked to have been there.

He didnt actually do a talk (though I think he said he wanted to) but I'm sure if he did he would have got round to talking about working with Eddie at some point. He told me he thought Eddie was a "pr!ck" and it's well known that he has no love for him anyway. He did say some nice things about him though (mainly his comedy genuis and ideas he brought to film).

Edited by nicky

He didnt actually do a talk (though I think he said he wanted to) but he told me he thought Eddie was a "pr!ck" and it's well known that he has no love for him anyway. He did say some nice things about him though (mainly his comedy genuis and ideas he brought to film).

IMHO Eddie got a little bought in to the idea of his own infallibility - I bet BHC3 was a nightmare - Landis probably bitterly regrets the day he got involved. Such a pity - Trading Places and BHC were key films for me, and Coming To America was a great film too.

Everytime I look at this thread now from the Gen Chat index page it says that last post came from Mike very recently - right now it says "Yesterday, 10:47 PM" when in actual fact he posted it yesterday at 01.38pm. Why does it change? Its not the only thread I've noticed either.