Saturday Spoof Script

A young girl who along with her friend were dressed as Captain Jack was waving Gareth's copy of the script following the end of the fantastic version on stage.

If anyone knows her - would be great if she'd let some of us have a copy - would love to read it and imagine the whole thing all over again. And obviously, as requested on the night hush hush....

heyy

i'm the captain Jack girl who caught Gareths script :P

Just to tell you all that about 60% of it was completley improvised lol

I dont know if i'm going to type it anywhere yet as

1. i might get in trouble.. :poki:

and 2. Then for the people who do have copied or caught them it's not as special..

but yeah, hardly ANY of it is actually in here.... :YAHOO:

heyy

i'm the captain Jack girl who caught Gareths script :unsure:

1. i might get in trouble.. :clap:

and 2. Then for the people who do have copied or caught them it's not as special..

but yeah, hardly ANY of it is actually in here.... :(

To quote Gareth during one of the intimate encounters -

Girl - Was kissing Kai in the script?

Gareth - I KISSED KAI?!?!?!

lol

there will be one in the Hub 2 Auction

hope that helps

jason :dance:

heyy

i'm the captain Jack girl who caught Gareths script :eek:

1. i might get in trouble.. :wub:

but yeah, hardly ANY of it is actually in here.... :wub:

OK -

1. so one is going to be auctioned at the next hub event - Great but not everyone can afford either the event or then the auction bid. Would be nice if you could just sell copies via the online store for a reasonable amount. We're not all made of money unfortunately. :blink:

2. Captain Jack Girl - you got the original script which was the one Gareth used - this is what makes itspecial and original. Any scanned copy or typed copy would then be just what it is - a copy.. :wub:

And if there is going to be one auctioned off at the next hub should not be in any trouble - :chair:

:D

So - go on whether it was improvised or not - let us at least share in the content of the performance and we can work out the rest.

There are a couple of problems with publishing the script in any form to be honest.

1) The BBC owns copyright on the characters of Captain Jack, Ianto, Rhys and the weevils. To sell any copy of the script requires their permission. The versions thrown into the crowd would probably be excused as a parody but sale of said script would breach copyright if not licensed by the BBC.

2) The script was written by a writer who could also sue for copyright infringement if unauthorised copies are distributed. The script is not marked as copyrighted but it doesn't need to be for the writer (who retains copyright from the point of writing onwards) to exert his legal rights.

3) The only persons authorised to do anything with the script were Jason and the actors who were free to do as they pleased with their copies in terms of retaining them or giving them away but even they do not have the right to make unauthorised copies and thus cannot pass on permission to do so.

I may sound like a complete killjoy here but I am only saying this as I was the person who wrote the script and as a professional writer, I make money from the sale of my work. This piece was only created to entertain attendees on saturday night, NOT to make any money as I wasn't paid to write it (and wouldn't expect to be, as I gladly offered!) it becomes a very different prospect if someone decided to make unauthorised copies and either distribute or sell them.

Please consider that I rose at 5:45 am on Saturday morning to write the sketch in order to get it ready for Jason and the guys to approve and decide how they wanted to play it BEFORE the day's proceeding kicked off at about 8:30am. A lot of what went on onstage was played by ear but a fair amount of work still had to go into writing the piece to give the guys freedom to act crazy etc.

I have been talking to Jason about writing further sketches for future events and will do so as long as people respect that these are purely meant to be for fun AT THE EVENT and not to be reproduced or to make money from. I would be less happy to contribute if I thought that fans weren't respecting that. Sorry if that disappoints some of you, but that's where it stands at the moment.

There are a couple of problems with publishing the script in any form to be honest.

1) The BBC owns copyright on the characters of Captain Jack, Ianto, Rhys and the weevils. To sell any copy of the script requires their permission. The versions thrown into the crowd would probably be excused as a parody but sale of said script would breach copyright if not licensed by the BBC.

I was thinking about this at the weekend (which is a bit sad considering how much fun I was having :thumbup: ) and I think that it's not necessarily a valid argument within the UK. The BBC is a non-departmental public body (meaning that it's not a central government department but is 'owned' nationally) and is, as such, owned by the tax payers and licence fee payers. So I would challenge that it could really be breach of copyright if published within the UK. But that's just how my odd mind works!

That said, I'm no legal expert and I wouldn't want the BBC to get all defensive and stop allowing the cast to attend these kinds of convention :chair:

2) The script was written by a writer who could also sue for copyright infringement if unauthorised copies are distributed. The script is not marked as copyrighted but it doesn't need to be for the writer (who retains copyright from the point of writing onwards) to exert his legal rights.

3) The only persons authorised to do anything with the script were Jason and the actors who were free to do as they pleased with their copies in terms of retaining them or giving them away but even they do not have the right to make unauthorised copies and thus cannot pass on permission to do so.

I may sound like a complete killjoy here but I am only saying this as I was the person who wrote the script and as a professional writer, I make money from the sale of my work. This piece was only created to entertain attendees on saturday night, NOT to make any money as I wasn't paid to write it (and wouldn't expect to be, as I gladly offered!) it becomes a very different prospect if someone decided to make unauthorised copies and either distribute or sell them.

Please consider that I rose at 5:45 am on Saturday morning to write the sketch in order to get it ready for Jason and the guys to approve and decide how they wanted to play it BEFORE the day's proceeding kicked off at about 8:30am. A lot of what went on onstage was played by ear but a fair amount of work still had to go into writing the piece to give the guys freedom to act crazy etc.

I have been talking to Jason about writing further sketches for future events and will do so as long as people respect that these are purely meant to be for fun AT THE EVENT and not to be reproduced or to make money from. I would be less happy to contribute if I thought that fans weren't respecting that. Sorry if that disappoints some of you, but that's where it stands at the moment.

Thank you so much for writing that script! Thank you also for stating these issues so clearly. I was going to say something about this, but it's far better coming from you. I look forward to seeing more of your work at The Hub 2, and am incredibly grateful to you for your efforts. :D

Fully appreciate your comments and was not suggesting people make money out of any copies - Understand your legality comments regarding your work.

Re your comment 'purely meant to be for fun AT THE EVENT and not to be reproduced or to make money from.' - How can one be auctioned at HUB2 ?????

Anyway - look forward to seeing your next piece of magic at Torchwood Hub 2

Thank you so much for writing that script! Thank you also for stating these issues so clearly. I was going to say something about this, but it's far better coming from you. I look forward to seeing more of your work at The Hub 2, and am incredibly grateful to you for your efforts. :D

Thanks. To quote Ianto "Its what I do". I just wanted to contibute something memorable to a fun weekend for people. Hopefully we will witness a sequel to "The Nub".

Edited by fade2dust

Fully appreciate your comments and was not suggesting people make money out of any copies - Understand your legality comments regarding your work.

Re your comment 'purely meant to be for fun AT THE EVENT and not to be reproduced or to make money from.' - How can one be auctioned at HUB2 ?????

Anyway - look forward to seeing your next piece of magic at Torchwood Hub 2

Because Jason is one of those authorized to do as he pleases with the script, and he undoubtedly has the author's permission to do this. Also, fade2dust mentions that it is not to be reproduced OR sold, meaning that reproduction and distribution, even for no money, is violating his terms. Copyright violation occurs even if no money is made.

I rose at 5:45 am on Saturday morning to write the sketch in order to get it ready for Jason and the guys to approve and decide how they wanted to play it BEFORE the day's proceeding kicked off at about 8:30am. A lot of what went on onstage was played by ear but a fair amount of work still had to go into writing the piece to give the guys freedom to act crazy etc.

I have been talking to Jason about writing further sketches for future events

Thank you! It was such a fun part of the evening, and made the event into something quite unique :)

Thank you so much for writing that script! Thank you also for stating these issues so clearly. I was going to say something about this, but it's far better coming from you. I look forward to seeing more of your work at The Hub 2, and am incredibly grateful to you for your efforts. :unsure:

Thanks. To quote Ianto "Its what I do". I just wanted to contibute something memorable to a fun weekend for people. Hopefully we will witness a sequel to "The Nub".

OMG a sequel. There has to be a sequel. lol. That was one memorable evening and having front row, even if it was sitting on the floor was the best thing ever.

Can I just say that John Barrowman has a nice Ar$e !!! lol.. those of you who saw the sketch will know what i'm talking about !!! :P

Yes. Yes, he does... *happy, meditative sigh* So does Gareth... *especially happy sigh* And Kai's isn't too bad, either. :D

*drool*

Cheers for writing the play VERY entertaining lol even if some of it was improvised. I think we can tell what lines where put in such as John techno babble. I found it interesting to see actors who've been working in the business for a while doing sight reading and improv. Makes me feel less bad at college now if I screw up lol.

Thank you! It was such a fun part of the evening, and made the event into something quite unique :)

Amen to that! Thank you so much for writing it! Shame I couldn't see much but I always get stuck behind tall people *shrugs* It sounded hysterical though!

Can I just say that John Barrowman has a nice Ar$e !!! lol.. those of you who saw the sketch will know what i'm talking about !!!

Yes. Yes, he does... *happy, meditative sigh* So does Gareth... *especially happy sigh* And Kai's isn't too bad, either.

:blink::thumbup: That's it, I'm finding a seat I can see from next time!

Edited by Purple