The good and the not so good

First of all thanks to everyone who helped make this such a fun event. Generally a lot better than Eclipse 1 so extra thanks to Massive Events for listening to us and taking into consideration suggestions etc.

The Good

The extra height on the stage made such an enormous difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Us small bods really appreciated it! The lighting was also a lot better too on the whole and this also made a big difference.

The talks were fabulous. Thoroughly entertaining! Still not 100% sure if I liked the idea of them being controlled quite so much but it seemed to work okay. A personal preference (and I understand that many will feel differently and also know why it has been decided to do it this way) but I do like a little bit more freedom in Q & A sessions, though it was a nice touch to get anyone that had submitted a question to make themselves known (e.g. to stand up or wave) if it was the MC who was asking it for them.

The Saturday party! The Swingtime Sweethearts were fantastic and the room looked fabulous! Oh, and those strange people fooling around on stage at some point were quite amusing too ;)

Actually both parties were really good! The DJ was brilliant (so very much better than the chap at Eclipse 1 and much more polite too)! A superb mux of music that seemed to leave most everyone happy and the dance floor was generally busy the two evenings I attended. Had tremendous fun! So much so my friends and I stayed to the 'bitter' end both nights. :dance: If the DJ is reading this, I know I went up to thank you at the end of Saturday but I'd like to extend my thanks once again. Things were much more enjoyable, from my point of view.

The photoshoots seemed to work very well on the whole. Didn't really have to queue for any that long with one exception and the crowd outside were a lot quieter and better behaved than last time too ;) And a big round of applause for getting the Sunday photos back to us so quickly! :D

Adored Captain Jack's Office. Kudos to the creators of that!

All the other attendees! I think everyone had a much better idea of how things worked and how we/they were supposed to 'behave' during the event and this led to both attendees and guests being so much more relaxed.

The crew! :WAVE: On the whole the crew were exceptional and some bent over backwards to help us when any probelms were encountered, even going head-to-head with another member if they thought we had a just complaint. Thank you.

The Not So Good

Having no schedule in the pack or even available to us on the Saturday. I had friends who missed out on the last talk as they were not aware it was happening.

Also regarding the schedules (or lack thereof), having them so small and in a only a few locations was just not good. They were difficult to read, most had no approximate timings on them and were a nightmare for anyone with dyslexia to try and make sense of. If I may make a suggestion, please have some kind of schedule in either the packs, or if there are too many last minute up-in-the-air things, then available at the Reg Desk on Saturday. They are really a vital part of any con. Putting one up online a day or so before the event doesn't help those who either have no access to a printer or who have already left to travel to it as well.

Cocktail party was horribly crowded and such a shame there's nowhere to sit down. I understand the lack of space there but unsure if there is some way of adjusting timings so it can take place in the main hall after this has been set up for the party as there are table and chairs available there.

I thought the way autographs were handled this time was a lot worse than Eclipse, where it seemed to go a lot better on the whole. It just didn't seem to work for some reason and people were not adhering to things. It was confusing and left things a little chaotic in turn! I have friends who were in the first 15 of the Standard ticket holders but they were practically the last group to be called for John Barrowman autographs and nearly missed out on these. As it was, they had no time for even a quick 'Hello' (although John was so good about trying to make sure that everyone who wanted his autograph got one). As one of them said, this was in no way any incentive for her to buy an early ticket again for any other ME event that she might go to as she saw very little benefit and was disappointed with this.

Only getting 1-2 minutes for flash photography (with one exception) again! :borg: This is despite what it says on the website (and is still saying for all the other conventions). Having spoke to other people at other events (and having asked the question on the forums too), I know that more time was given at these. This is in no way enough time. I got very few flash shots as my flash takes a while to recycle and this spoilt the event a little for me. I've said it before but one of the primary reasons I buy Gold is so I can get a seat near the front in order to take photos. I love going to cons to listen to the guests AND to take pics of them. I find other events that offer the usual 10 - 15 minutes to be plenty of time to get enough shots. It also tends not to be all at the same time with hundreds of flashes going off as people will bide their time a little more and wait until they can capture a good photo rather than desperately firing off all at once. Even 5 minutes would have been sufficient for me. I didn't bother saying anything at the event as the last time I did this I was given three different answers, was assured that 5 minutes at least would be allowed and got 90 seonds or so still. If all you are going to allow is just 1-2 minutes, then PLEASE state this on your website. I booked in good faith believing I would be allowed longer for flash photography this time and was sorely disappointed. I do hope this changes for Chevron 7.2. Sorry, but this was probably the chief reason why I didn't (and won't be) buying a ticket for The Hub 2 despite the great time I had.

Nothing to do with ME but the hotel had a few hiccups too however it's not the place to mention those here, but I will offer a word of caution to anyone planning to check-in late for future events. Even though some of my friends rang up at 5 pm to say they would be at the Park at 9 pm and being told both rooms would be kept for them, the Park actually gave away one of their rooms! Definitely not good! :dance: It might be an idea to keep in frequent contact with them if arriving late to ensure they don't give away your room!

Anyway, I did have a marvellous weekend and met some new friends and new faces and won't forget this event in a hurry for sure :(

Edited by thefreckles

I had a really good time and almost everything was great IMO.

Following on from your autograph comments, this is the one thing I would like to see changed. At other events, tickets 1-50 are called and get ALL their auto's at once. Then 51-100 are called, etc.

I think this works better and is much less confusing than the ME way.

However, I do think that the MC in the Q&A's makes them MUCH more enjoyable. I like the fact that ME try something different for the parties. I love the fact that we get ALL the guests onstage together (which most other cons do not have). I also like the fact that everything runs (pretty much) on time, which is so often not the case and makes things like having lunch almost impossible!!

There's my tuppence worth anyway! Cheers.

Only getting 1-2 minutes for flash photography (with one exception) again! mad.gif This is despite what it says on the website (and is still saying for all the other conventions). Having spoke to other people at other events (and having asked the question on the forums too), I know that more time was given at these. This is in no way enough time.

To be honest if limiting the flash photography to 1 to 2 minutes means that the guests are more comfortable, relaxed and happy on stage then I am all for it. Just think for a second of what its like to have 800 flashes going off in your face for an extended period of time. The thought of allowing flash photography for the first 10-15 minutes of a talk fills me with horror and it"s unlikely the actors representatives would ever allow it. I'd prefer to use flash for longer but am more than happy to be restricted if it keeps the guests comfortable and happy.

Also whilst I do like asking my own questions at Q&As the decision not to let the mike roam the audience on Saturday did actually make for some fantastic talks. It was only on the Sunday when some of the questions had dried up and we were back to the tried and tested con questions which I've heard a million times before that things started to get a little dull. It's never going to be a universally popular method getting Paul to ask teh questions but it kept things interesting, kept things moving and prevented the actors being asked hideously embarassing or weird questions. Which I'm all for.

And I thought Paul did a cracking job so well done Paul!

Following on from your autograph comments, this is the one thing I would like to see changed. At other events, tickets 1-50 are called and get ALL their auto's at once. Then 51-100 are called, etc.

However, I do think that the MC in the Q&A's makes them MUCH more enjoyable. I like the fact that ME try something different for the parties. I love the fact that we get ALL the guests onstage together (which most other cons do not have). I also like the fact that everything runs (pretty much) on time, which is so often not the case and makes things like having lunch almost impossible!!

having people called in groups like that would mean a lot of people getting there autos on one day,and some people getting non at all till late on sunday.

the idea is small groups are called to each guest in a random order, so that the same amount of guests from all over the ticket numbers are called at once so everyone has something to do

i'd hate to have everything done in one go.

i can see why some people were upset by john getting rushed through, its a shame that soe of the higher numbers got the bigger names last, as i have said elsewhere i was one of the high numbers at e1 and i din't get many autos on the sat but got most of my photos

having people called in groups like that would mean a lot of people getting there autos on one day,and some people getting non at all till late on sunday.

the idea is small groups are called to each guest in a random order, so that the same amount of guests from all over the ticket numbers are called at once so everyone has something to do

i can see why some people were upset by john getting rushed through, its a shame that soe of the higher numbers got the bigger names last, as i have said elsewhere i was one of the high numbers at e1 and i din't get many autos on the sat but got most of my photos

Okay. We were in the first 20 of the standard tickets sold. We managed to get three or four autographs on the Saturday. Sunday morning was spent hanging around waiting for our groups to be called. Finally our group was called for John's autographs at around 11.25 when my daughter was still in the photo queue. Five minutes later when we arrived at the queue we were told that they'd try and get our pics signed and would post them to us later, because John had to leave. Now, we knew he was leaving early, but why call the last two groups five minutes before they stopped letting people through? Luckily there was only half a dozen of us and we managed to get through after a lot of hassle, but..

my point and there is a point, what incentive is there to buy tickets early?

I don't see a problem with that. IMHO, it is much easier that (if for example you're ticket #250) when tickets 1-50 are called, you know you have a few hours before you need to get anything. I don't see that it makes a difference when you get the auto's, so long as you do.

I also think that people who book early should get in first. As has been mentioned, people with low ticket numbers were rushed thru JB's queue, which isn't really fair.

Not saying you're wrong, but an honest question - why?

• Moderators

I also think that people who book early should get in first. As has been mentioned, people with low ticket numbers were rushed thru JB's queue, which isn't really fair.

And that would not be the usual thing that happens at a convention. It sounds like it was an unfortunate time where something was mismanaged.

I would not agree that early bookers should get in first. They're paying the same as everyone else, and I wouldn't expect others to get preferential treatment just because they booked before me really.

The way the schedules are done, it means that everyone gets everything spread out, and it's more of a weekend event, rather than having everything done immediately or at the end. It's meant to balance things out for everyone, which I actually appreciate personally.

As for jessanne's question "what incentive is there to buy tickets early?" - nothing in particular, and I don't really see why there should be. More tickets sold, the more guests they get. And at least you're guaranteed attendance at the convention. A lot of people can't book straight away, but I don't see why they should be treated any differently.

I had a great time and appreciate all the hard work that everyone had put into it to make it such a wonderful event. The only thing I have a niggle about was the autograph sessions. I had standard ticket 1 and my group hadn't even been called in on the Sunday for Johns autograph. Luckily I was talking with someone when she was told that John would be leaving in the next 20 mins so we joined the que anyway. What I thought was going to happen was that people were going to be let into autographs to get their free ones and once everyone got their free one then people could go in again to get the rest of their things signed. I only wanted my free autograph of John but nearly missed getting that and yet others had been in to get things signed by him already on the Saturday and had been in again on the Sunday to get more things signed before people like myself had not got our first autograph.

Edited by Tina

And that would not be the usual thing that happens at a convention. It sounds like it was an unfortunate time where something was mismanaged.

I would not agree that early bookers should get in first. They're paying the same as everyone else, and I wouldn't expect others to get preferential treatment just because they booked before me really.

The way the schedules are done, it means that everyone gets everything spread out, and it's more of a weekend event, rather than having everything done immediately or at the end. It's meant to balance things out for everyone, which I actually appreciate personally.

As for jessanne's question "what incentive is there to buy tickets early?" - nothing in particular, and I don't really see why there should be. More tickets sold, the more guests they get. And at least you're guaranteed attendance at the convention. A lot of people can't book straight away, but I don't see why they should be treated any differently.

Fair enough.

I've already booked a couple of tickets for another convention, but in future I'll wait until I'm sure that there are enough guests that I want to meet before booking.

It works both ways.

Ok so not evrything wasnt perfect it was a little hard to keep up with evrything and my drunken attempt to film the scheduale so I didnt have to write it down didnt work so well but the staff were all so helpful with any questions. I got evrything I wanted mostly on Sunday and it wasn't as mad as I thought it would be.

I know not evry one would be taking pictures at the same time but I think it would be destracting and there are always people who just don't stop.

The only thing was the last party was a bit of a flop and the only thing that saved it even a bit was Gareth singingXD

I had a amazing time and I have never had so much fun at a con befour. :)

Oh one thing that I think really needs to be sorted and its more the hotels problem. If they are going to move the entrance at least get some lighting for the path that takes you to it. My phone doesnt exactly have a great light and 2 girls were mugged who were at the club at the corner, I know this because I was walking through the park when it happened.

I am going to be staying in the park inn next time mostly so I can get a longer sleep:)

If they are going to make any changes I hope it's not many. Roll on March

Edited by Galaxy-Song

Now I would. (And I had ticket ST145 so am not saying that for myself!). The people that book early set up the budget that allows more guests to be booked. The later you book, the less chance your money will go to another booking. If ME sell 300 tickets in week 1, they can book more guests straight away. If they sell 300 tickets in the last 2-3 weeks they may struggle to get anyone booked.

I'm not saying I'm right or anyone else is wrong - I just think it is easier to get called once and do it all. There were a lot of people at their first con this weekend just staring at a massively complex excel spreadsheet wondering what was going on!

They did with the seating though. I was gold and didn't get a chance to get that near the front. It was the people with low numbers on the front row but then perhaps it was fair and I'm just moaning :poki:

'Persephone1' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:13 PM'

"To be honest if limiting the flash photography to 1 to 2 minutes means that the guests are more comfortable, relaxed and happy on stage then I am all for it. Just think for a second of what its like to have 800 flashes going off in your face for an extended period of time. The thought of allowing flash photography for the first 10-15 minutes of a talk fills me with horror and it"s unlikely the actors representatives would ever allow it. I'd prefer to use flash for longer but am more than happy to be restricted if it keeps the guests comfortable and happy."

I'm not going to go into all this again but if the actors are not comfortable with it then that is understandable. Of course I have no problem with this. Everyone would be reasonable if this was imparted to us at the beginning of the Q&A. My big niggle with this is that it is clearly stated on the website that flash photography would be allowed for 10-15 minutes. To get less than 10% of that stated time is false advertising, IMHO. Most seasoned con-goers (or anyone with an ounze of common sense) would self-regulate after 10 minutes or so anyway (I know I do when I attend other cons that have no restrictions on flash photography at all). Most of the other weekend cons I go to either allow this for 5-15 minutes or have no limit. If an actor has a problem with flash for any reason (e.g. they are ill, it triggers problems etc.), then this is normally stated and people are more than happy to abide by the rules. I am just incredibly annoyed that one thing is said but another happens in reality. Even weekend signing events, if the actor is okay with flash, allow it for the first 5 minutes only and that is plenty of time to keep most everyone happy.

If flash is only going to be allowed for 1-2 minutes, then that is what should be said on the website. Yes, it would mean I would then only attend Massive Events myself if there was at least one truly special guest for me, but I'm sure ME won't miss my bum on their seat as someone else would be able to get my ticket :blink:

Edited by thefreckles

'Persephone1' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:13 PM'

"To be honest if limiting the flash photography to 1 to 2 minutes means that the guests are more comfortable, relaxed and happy on stage then I am all for it. Just think for a second of what its like to have 800 flashes going off in your face for an extended period of time. The thought of allowing flash photography for the first 10-15 minutes of a talk fills me with horror and it"s unlikely the actors representatives would ever allow it. I'd prefer to use flash for longer but am more than happy to be restricted if it keeps the guests comfortable and happy."

I'm not going to go into all this again but if the actors are not comfortable with it then that is understandable. Of course I have no problem with this. Everyone would be reasonable if this was imparted to us at the beginning of the Q&A. My big niggle with this is that it is clearly stated on the website that flash photography would be allowed for 10-15 minutes. To get less than 10% of that stated time is false advertising, IMHO. Most seasoned con-goers (or anyone with an ounze of common sense) would self-regulate after 10 minutes or so anyway (I know I do when I attend other cons that have no restrictions on flash photography at all). Most of the other weekend cons I go to either allow this for 5-15 minutes or have no limit. If an actor has a problem with flash for any reason (e.g. they are ill, it triggers problems etc.), then this is normally stated and people are more than happy to abide by the rules. I am just incredibly annoyed that one thing is said but another happens in reality. Even weekend signing events, if the actor is okay with flash, allow it for the first 5 minutes only and that is plenty of time to keep most everyone happy.

If flash is only going to be allowed for 1-2 minutes, then that is what should be said on the website. Yes, it would mean I would then only attend Massive Events myself if there was at least one truly special guest for me, but I'm sure ME won't miss my bum on their seat as someone else would be able to get my ticket :blink:

i was really happy that flash was only allowed for so long as it cause me problems and i took photos without flash and it came out really well i think the guests were more comfortable because of the time limit and it made the talks better

but thats just me lol

why wouldnt i want to get everything done first...because its a weekend con, if i run about and get everything done in one day it defets teh point of being at a weekend con... i would have nothing to do at all on the sunday till the talks in the afternoon.

if as somone is pointing out up there^ john was signing more than one auto for people thats wrong as he should have gotten through all his free ones and only his free ones...

the event is suposed to be ran over two days, unfortinatly john was only there one and a half, as i said i was in one off the very high numbers at the last two cons i have been to ( two diffrent organisers) and the way that showmasters does it works so much better.

you cant be seeing all the guests at once... so what are the other possible 750 people going to be doing when your group are getting there autos?

as for what is the plus side of booking early? i do it so i can spread the cost

why wouldnt i want to get everything done first...because its a weekend con, if i run about and get everything done in one day it defets teh point of being at a weekend con... i would have nothing to do at all on the sunday till the talks in the afternoon.

if as somone is pointing out up there^ john was signing more than one auto for people thats wrong as he should have gotten through all his free ones and only his free ones...

the event is suposed to be ran over two days, unfortinatly john was only there one and a half, as i said i was in one off the very high numbers at the last two cons i have been to ( two diffrent organisers) and the way that showmasters does it works so much better.

you cant be seeing all the guests at once... so what are the other possible 750 people going to be doing when your group are getting there autos?

That's just it though. All of our photo sessions and most of our autos were on the Sunday, they were not spread out!

We booked early in the (obviously) futile attempt of being able to see all the guests without being rushed through at the last moment.

That's just it though. All of our photo sessions and most of our autos were on the Sunday, they were not spread out!

We booked early in the (obviously) futile attempt of being able to see all the guests without being rushed through at the last moment.

I only had Lachlan and Johns photo shoot Saturday and two autograph sessions. Everything else was also on Sunday.

I only had Lachlan and Johns photo shoot Saturday and two autograph sessions. Everything else was also on Sunday.

Sometimes when there was no queue the crew would let you go up regardless.

I did not go to this con but it does seem to me that people who book tickets early are doing the organiser i huge service by buying there tickets as early as possible. They pay money that the organisers can then use to pay for more guests, and arranging the event ie hotels, DJ or entertainment video equipment etc. You announce more guests more ticlets are sold and it becomes a circle.

Imagine you are a con organiser and you book 2 guests to appear and hotels etc and then no one books, as it gets closer to the event do you try anf get more guests and continue to hope for the best or far more likely you cancel.

Early booking secures the event so it is not unreasonable to expect to get autographs earlier than somone who bought a ticket on the door. You go to CM in Milton keynes you get there early enough to get a low VT for the person you want to see so what is the difference.

With conventions with this many guests other organisers split the guests into two groups say a and b and tickets 1-300 do group as on Sat and b on Sun. and 300 onwards do b sat and a sun. This would possibly also allow day passes to be bought in advance as they could be allowed acces ot either group a or b dependant on tickets sold.

In the current economic climate this may help people go who can not afford the weekend or who have family commitments that would prevent them going for a three day weekend.

I did not go to this con but it does seem to me that people who book tickets early are doing the organiser i huge service by buying there tickets as early as possible. They pay money that the organisers can then use to pay for more guests, and arranging the event ie hotels, DJ or entertainment video equipment etc. You announce more guests more ticlets are sold and it becomes a circle.

Exactly my point.

Although there won't ever be day passes sold from what ME have said in the past.

• Moderators

OK we'll put it this way - I bought my ticket for Hallowhedon the day they went on sale.

Did I do this to 'do the organiser a huge service'? Nope. I did it because it was financially possible, and I like to be organised. I didn't do it for the organiser, and therefore I expect nothing back. I don't want preferential treatment.

And let's be honest, I hardly think many people buy their tickets early in order to be nice to the organiser. People do it for themselves, and I would not expect anyone to be rewarded for that. It's just not possible for some other people to do so anyway. If at some point I can't buy something immediately, I'd still expect to get generally the same for my money as those that were fortunate enough to get theirs earlier.

I certainly wouldn't compare it to getting a queue ticket at a signing event. You're not paying for those for a start.

First come, first served. The oldest rule in sales.

It's not really preferential service either - if you all leave with the same stuff, so what? Someone has to go first, someone has to go last. So long as no-one misses out, there's no problem surely?!

First come, first served. The oldest rule in sales.

It's not really preferential service either - if you all leave with the same stuff, so what? Someone has to go first, someone has to go last. So long as no-one misses out, there's no problem surely?!

well said and I completly agree. I did have more than half my stuff done on the Sunday but I was done for bout 11 and I got to kick back and relax until the talks:)

I can't see how this could have been done any other way. Ive been to other events were they had talks at same time as autographs and you realy had to decide what you wanted more.

The whole weekend was absolutley fab! I had an awesome time.

The talks were well run, and the photoshoots were really well organised.

The only thing i feel i must comment on is the lack of schedule in the registration pack. We got one for Eclipse, so why not The Hub? I understand there were final things that may have had to be changed, but it would have been really helpful. I missed out on Lachlan signing, as i was unable to read the schedule, as the print was so small, and am quite shy, and thus didnt think of asking anyone to read the whole shedule for me lol The whole weekend, i just waited to see if my number was called, or asked a crew member if i had been called yet. I asked this before i went into the talks, but had no idea he was only signing during the talks that afternoon, as i hadnt been called for him before.

Other than that, i thought it ran really well, and i cant wait to be paid at the end of the month to buy my ticket to the next one lol