Millvina Dean

gilgalad70

Watching the news yesterday, and hearing it on the radio, I was sad to hear Millvina was having to sell her Collectables at auction this weekend to raise funds for her health care. I've heard so many good reports on here about how sprightly she is, and she looked pretty well in the clips yesterday.

Would she be able to do Autographica this year? I for one have always missed out on her appearances at the show for various reasons, but would love the chance to meet her.

Or maybe a collection at some stage during the show to show we're thinking of her. By then she'd still have sold her mementos, but should keep the wolf from the door a bit longer.

Watching the news yesterday, and hearing it on the radio, I was sad to hear Millvina was having to sell her Collectables at auction this weekend to raise funds for her health care. I've heard so many good reports on here about how sprightly she is, and she looked pretty well in the clips yesterday.

Would she be able to do Autographica this year?

I suspect that her health may not be up to it; from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7672987.stm

Miss Dean moved into a private nursing home in Ashurst, Hampshire, two years ago.

She told the Southern Daily Echo: "I was hoping to be here for two weeks after breaking my hip, but I developed an infection and have been here for two years. I am not able to live in my home any more.

"I am selling it all now because I have to pay these nursing home fees and am selling anything that I think might fetch some money."

(my use of bold)

Would she be able to do Autographica this year?

I suspect that her health may not be up to it; from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7672987.stm

Miss Dean moved into a private nursing home in Ashurst, Hampshire, two years ago.

She told the Southern Daily Echo: "I was hoping to be here for two weeks after breaking my hip, but I developed an infection and have been here for two years. I am not able to live in my home any more.

"I am selling it all now because I have to pay these nursing home fees and am selling anything that I think might fetch some money."

(my use of bold)

I'd be happy for a situation similar for that of Patrick Moore, ie having pre-signed items available if Millvina Dean isn't able to personally attend. Having (like a lot of people) seen an elderly relative spend a lot of time living in a nursing home due to Alzheimer's disease, I think it is terrible that people like Ms Dean have to sell cherished personal items to meet fees when other people in a similar situation get everything for free because they haven't worked a day in their lives. I really think it's about time that the government did something to remedy the situation and I think this lady is the perfect case in point.

Rant over, I'll be happy to give my support wherever necessary.

When she attended her first show at Autographica in Northampton if my meomary serves me right, she was accompanied by her brother, i had the pleasure of sitting with her all day as part of the workforce.

She was bright as a button and always spoke nicely and at the show Alan Minter was there he how can i put it had one over the eight came uo to me and asked who she was i said she was from the Titanic his reply which i shall never forget what the old lady in the film.I hope that we could do something to help a sweet old lady.

Paul

As someone interested in all things Titanic I missed out on the auction in Devizes which I regret now as now I find out it was to benefit Millvina Dean directly.

It probably is short notice for SM's to do anything though?

Maybe a collection bucket or something at the event?

I thought she was a class act at autographica, with one of those lovely posh 1940's BBC accents, beautiful handwriting and a gentle sense of humour, she's from that totally different generation which is dying out now...

I saw Millvina two weeks ago at her care home. Her costs are £800 a week for a single room.

Funnily enough one of the items that Millvina signed for me was a Titanic photo for Gloria Stuart who played the 'old lady' in the film!

Edited by richybee