more guests and start of cancelations

teabelly83

I hope no more cancelations occur for this show. personaly im disapointed kane hodder cant attend, so ihope no1 else cancels.

there are still 3 on my list so far now that istill wana see, dwigh dirk and richard dreyfuss.

also hope they pull afew cool guests out the bag at the last minute.

• Moderators

I'm sure you're going for a record number of topics made in this section :smile:

Just kidding. But yeah, there's not much anyone can say about it - cancellations unfortunately happen, and Kane has cancelled SM events at least twice before as I recall.

I'm sure they'll be working to add a few more. There's certainly still time.

I'm sure you're going for a record number of topics made in this section :D

Just kidding. But yeah, there's not much anyone can say about it - cancellations unfortunately happen, and Kane has cancelled SM events at least twice before as I recall.

I'm sure they'll be working to add a few more. There's certainly still time.

your right davidb, i got guiness book of records on the phone as i type..lol :D

and yeah im sure afew more guests will be added. as isaid im mainly going for my ateam fix this yr, so im still happy. but the more cool guests the better

Ok Kane Hodder has cancelled its not good but it's not the end of the world!

Yes things do seem a little quiet on the SM front but when you think about it they are busy with The Hub and Autographica as you can appreciate they are probably pretty busy helping sort out these two events and then they have Collectormania Midlands on top of it all!!

Come on give them chance! Although you do have to be mindful of the sports guests as I wonder if they are going to be used as part of the Collectormania line-up although they are "separate events".

I don't mind sports guests just a bit more variety that’s all because it seems to be the same old same old, I am grateful meeting them and they are very good guests (and I would guess a good crowd drawer).

I am sure SM will put on a good show, I have faith in them!

Ok Kane Hodder has cancelled its not good but it's not the end of the world!

Yes things do seem a little quiet on the SM front but when you think about it they are busy with The Hub and Autographica as you can appreciate they are probably pretty busy helping sort out these two events and then they have Collectormania Midlands on top of it all!!

Come on give them chance! Although you do have to be mindful of the sports guests as I wonder if they are going to be used as part of the Collectormania line-up although they are "separate events".

I don't mind sports guests just a bit more variety that’s all because it seems to be the same old same old, I am grateful meeting them and they are very good guests (and I would guess a good crowd drawer).

I am sure SM will put on a good show, I have faith in them!

Surely youre just confirming what a lot of people have been saying in that SM are strating to stretch themselves a little too thin

Just seems like the SM events recently are a far cry from the awesome events like Collectormania 6/7.

Those events used to have loads of guests inlcuding Alan Cumming,Bernard Hill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams as well as HUGE seperate reunions of 30 star wars and 30 dr who guests at the same time

They are events i used to enjoy

i think they have been put in a bad spot by the failure of a dr.who and sports con, so they have put the guests into this show instead.

dwight & dirk were announced back at midlands1 and dreyfuss was rescheduled from mk, decent guests but for an event that looked like it was going to really take off after the first one but it appears to have crashed and burned. too many shows are definately spoiling the broth.

and yes i am thankful to sm for the great experiences, i would just like them to put on the shows they are capable of and admired for.

anyhoo, no great loss, more money in my pocket at least.

• Showmasters Admin

Just seems like the SM events recently are a far cry from the awesome events like Collectormania 6/7.

Those events used to have loads of guests inlcuding Alan Cumming,Bernard Hill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams as well as HUGE seperate reunions of 30 star wars and 30 dr who guests at the same time

i did not think this years LFCC was crap maybe i am wrong ?

and maybe its getting harder to impress people that have the chance to meet so many guests over the years ?

jason

and maybe its getting harder to impress people that have the chance to meet so many guests over the years ?

jason

I didn't comment on LFCC this year becuase i didn't attend because of work :dance:

• Moderators

And yet back then we still had people that would not be happy. Let's not pretend that everything was perfect a few years back, as that certainly wasn't the case.

There have always been people around to criticise whatever was on offer. For example, as you've stated, the big 'reunions' alongside the main area of guests at Collectormanias past - some didn't like what they called the 'quantity over quality' approach to guests there i.e. they couldn't have cared less about the usual SW or DW people.

You get the earlier Collectormanias with Lord of the Rings guests - they kept a certain fanbase very happy, and since then we've hardly had any LOTR guests on a regular basis, and so they've been disappointed for years really.

Let's not forget that Showmasters changing their business model isn't a new thing. Far from it. See the Manchester event being cancelled/rescheduled? It happened to LFACC before that, and look what that has turned into. It takes time to build up and get right, but the most recent one was fantastic.

I guess people can only wait and see if things settle down and work out, but I'm sure if they don't then Showmasters will have no issue changing things up again. They're certainly not against adapting, but they do know what they're doing a lot more than we do.

I was thinking about this recently. Back at C6 (my first Showmasters event) I met over 40 people. At C7 I met about 30-odd I think. This year at Manchester I met one person. And although I enjoyed C14, I only met a handful of people. I was wondering why this was, and whether it was purely due to the initial excitement of meeting so many stars back then. Then I realised it was not that at all. It's cos there was so many people who I was willing to meet. I've met so many people since then, but if they had the same Star Wars or Doctor Who gatherings nowadays, I would re-meet all of them. Without moaning, and from a purely business perspective, Showmasters are getting only a fraction of the money from me this year compared to what they got a few years ago, which is better financially for me, but worse for them. There is the old quality vs quantity debate re guests, of course, but C6 & C7 had LOADS of Dr Who & Star Wars guests who were relatively well known (speaking parts or well known characters). Surely with something like that, you are guaranteed to at least make more money than smaller scale events, or events with background or supporting actors.

^^^^^^

That's exactly what i was getting. I understand that showmatsers want as many people as possible to be able to attend their events but surely it would be better on the fans and showmasters to have less events each year and more guests per show. You'll probably fine that there's more chance of people making the long journey to these events and spending more money. I spent over £400 at Collectormania 6 and £300 at Collectormania 7.

Why not one MK show, one manchester, one Midlands ect show a year?

I started going to them because I realised it was too good to pass up, and, living near Glasgow, didn't see any possibility of ever meeting those people here. So I made the effort, and have been to every MK since then. Ironically, it now makes the Collectormania Glasgow shows of very little interest to me, as the guests at that are all repeat signers who I have met in England. I would continue to make the journey to England each and every time for a line-up of the standard of C6, as the sheer number of guests almost guarantees a good number that I will want to meet (which is why I like LFCC so much). But I must say, Midlands 1 didn't have enough to make it worthwhile for me, neither does this one. And the only reason I went to the last Manchester was because it was too late to cancel my train tickets.

jason

LFCC most definitely rocked this year :D

Interestingly enough, it was the ONLY signing event I've attended so far this year and I'm not planning on going to any others, primarily because I mainly collect cult movie / horror related autographs and LFCC aside, none of the u.k. events run by the major cons have featured guests I've wanted to meet.

I'm London based, but always used to regularly attend events elsewhere (Birmingham, Milton keynes etc) but any further afield and it works out too costly for me.

A dedicated horror movie event from showmasters would definitely get my full support though :uhoh: