Remote Control Starships!

Christoff

Ever since seeing a young Archer play with a remote control Starship in an episode of Enterprise (and probably before seeing that) I've wanted my own RC Starship :YAHOO:

This news is a few months old but I'd not heard of it until now so I'm guessing a lot of you haven't either...

Mattel’s Tyco is planning on four different flying Enterprise toys for release in early 2009. The entry-level toy, called the ‘Power Charger,’ is $20 and comes has no radio controller. You just charge it up and it flies around in a circle. For $40 you get the same toy but with an R/C controller. This standard model will also come available as a Klingon Bird of Prey. There is a Deluxe Enterprise for $70 which is a bit bigger and of better construction, plus you get a very cool controller that is shaped like a TOS communicator and you control the flight via a touch-screen. There is also a Tricorder which acts as the charger. And if that wasn’t cool enough, there is a giant 4 foot version which comes with the same communicator and Tricorder. (see pics and video below)

Mattel is displaying prototypes of the various R/C flyers, with two Enterprise designs. One is based on the movie era and another on the classic TV series 1701. John Ludwig, Mattel’s Tyco Product manager, tells TrekMovie that all the R/C fliers will likely be based on the refit because the shape (notably the swept back nacelle pylons) makes it more aerodynamic. One thing is for sure, neither of the ships being displayed were based on a design from the new Star Trek movie, unlike a rumor being floated by TrekWeb. However Ludwig tells TrekMovie that they will be making a R/C Enterprise from the new movie, but that will not be out until shortly before the movie. Mattel also hopes to expand the line to include ships from other Trek series as well, like a Voyager, Enterprise D and more.

There's a video here with a preview of the RC ships and some questions about them answered:

There's also some fan made ones on youtube which are pretty good, some of my favourite being

and

Also there's a very nice Submarine Enterprise A here:

This one's actually probably my favourite as it's the most accurate replica, however I'd much rather have one that flies as I don't think my bath is big enough to play with the sub lol. Edited by Christoff

• 3 weeks later...