Jedi costume

maegurwen

Ive decided that i will be making a costume for the next event i go to. Ive decided to go as a jedi.

Ive ordered my boots, im going to buy a lightsabre...my main concern is the robe and at least the jedi top.

1) i have no idea where to find the right material.

2) Does anyone know how to make the tunic?

All help appriciated.

My extra concern is trying to get all bits and peices into my room without parents noticeing or asking questions!!..ah well.

Ive decided that i will be making a costume for the next event i go to. Ive decided to go as a jedi.

Ive ordered my boots, im going to buy a lightsabre...my main concern is the robe and at least the jedi top.

1) i have no idea where to find the right material.

2) Does anyone know how to make the tunic?

All help appriciated.

My extra concern is trying to get all bits and peices into my room without parents noticeing or asking questions!!..ah well.

My son won at Milton Keynes in May (with his sister as Padme). (Cosplay.com, type in Pink Princess). I made his jedi outfit by basically drawing around him!. I got him to lie on the floor and drew a large "T", doubling the material at the neck to cut down on seams to sew. Cut a slit up the middle and a "V" shape for the neck opening. Cut out a long length of material for the edging strip on the tunic and used the same material to go under the belt. I used velcro to fasten the belt, but there was no need really as the leather belt stopped it coming undone. I did the same for the cloak, but made it bigger and longer, cut out a doubled square of material about 40cm wide for the hood, then gathered it at the neck and neatened all the edges. The trousers were from a pyjama pattern, with the fly sewn up. The under layer garment under the tunic at the neck, is only two pieces of material sewn in place to make it look as though there is another layer under the tunic. His boots were just green wellies painted brown, then I made some "spats" to go around them, tied with three belts using velcro. This was artifical leather glued onto cardboard cut outs.

As for where to get the material, we are fortunate enough to have a drapery shop in Shrewsbury, then there is Abakan in North Wales, I'm afraid it will be a case of tracking down your nearest material shop. Sorry I can't help there. But good luck on your venture.

Thank you.

Im planning to hunt the charity shops for the trousers.

So basicaly the top is like making the cloak?

Im planning on making my cloak anyway, found a guide on how to make the robe but it only has a guide for making the 'inner tunic'. Ill be making the cloak first as soon as i can...only problem is im going to have to try drawing round myself in a crowded room (i've not got much space) Ah well ill get throught... thanks for the advice. If anyone has anything to add about the tunic, let me know.

Thank you.

Im planning on making my cloak anyway, found a guide on how to make the robe but it only has a guide for making the 'inner tunic'. Ill be making the cloak first as soon as i can...only problem is im going to have to try drawing round myself in a crowded room (i've not got much space) Ah well ill get throught... thanks for the advice. If anyone has anything to add about the tunic, let me know.

I'm having a strange vision seeing you lying on the floor trying to draw around yourself and being trampled at the same time! Get a tape measure and measure from your breast bone to the end of your fingers and double the measurement, this will give your overall width. Then measure from your finger tips to 3/4 of the way up your arm, this is where you cut down for the body of the cloak The width of the sleeves should be about 10-12". If you, or someone you know has a dressing gown, these are made in exactly the same way as I'm trying to describe, you could use that as a template pattern as well. You will notice in the film, that there is plenty of movement in the cloak and the sleeves are quite wide.

The tabbard isn't so straightforward. on my first attempt, I cut the fake leather completely straight, but it didn't "sit" on the shoulders properly, so I cut a straight edge up to the waist, then put a slight angle in it up to the shoulders and so that it would stay on (cos it kept slipping off), I put a piece of velcro under the tabbard and the corresponding piece on the tunic itself.

Thank you.

I'm having a strange vision seeing you lying on the floor trying to draw around yourself and being trampled at the same time! Get a tape measure and measure from your breast bone to the end of your fingers and double the measurement, this will give your overall width. Then measure from your finger tips to 3/4 of the way up your arm, this is where you cut down for the body of the cloak The width of the sleeves should be about 10-12". If you, or someone you know has a dressing gown, these are made in exactly the same way as I'm trying to describe, you could use that as a template pattern as well. You will notice in the film, that there is plenty of movement in the cloak and the sleeves are quite wide.

The tabbard isn't so straightforward. on my first attempt, I cut the fake leather completely straight, but it didn't "sit" on the shoulders properly, so I cut a straight edge up to the waist, then put a slight angle in it up to the shoulders and so that it would stay on (cos it kept slipping off), I put a piece of velcro under the tabbard and the corresponding piece on the tunic itself.

Lol....i would be getting trampled on if my parents want to use the tumble dryer ( honestly it wouldnt be that crowded if my parents didnt stick there rubbish in my room, like the shampooer and the tumble dryer. Also a exercise bike and a fold down bed :thumbup: ) Theres not enough room on my floor for me to lay down let alone draw round myself!!

Thanks for the help :band: cant wait to get the fabric and get started. :band:

Telescopic blade is the type used on most kiddie sabers, its usually plastic and starts at 40mil diameter getting smaller to the tip. They're hollow and usually the plastic bends and splits as its barely 2mil thick. Its not ideal to use one of these sabers, they're chunky and really don't look right if you're going for accuracy. Also the clips don't fit in the comtech belt clip.

Most serious Jedi carry MR or Parks sabers.

Are you being a certain character Jedi, or just a generic?

Edited by Face

Can I point you in the direction of Padawan's Guide

My advice on generic Jedi is not to copy a well known Jedi's robes. Stay away from the Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon and Luke format. Otherwise people will just mistake you for that character and are likely to criticise the costume more.

Fabrics, can come from online stores as well and its cotton/linen type that you'd need. Natural fibers and dyes.

Can I point you in the direction of Padawan's Guide

My advice on generic Jedi is not to copy a well known Jedi's robes. Stay away from the Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon and Luke format. Otherwise people will just mistake you for that character and are likely to criticise the costume more.

Fabrics, can come from online stores as well and its cotton/linen type that you'd need. Natural fibers and dyes.

Thanks. does the boots have to be the same colour (ive ordered black boots) since my jedi is just a general one i want to do it as a origional character.....(plus i have wide feet..lol)

No. Not at all. If the character is Original you can wear whatever colour boots you want. Well within reason I suppose, bright pink ones would look a little strange. The Jedi robes were meant to blend in on multiple planets, that's why they were mainly earth tones.

Edited by Face

No. Not at all. If the character is Original you can wear whatever colour boots you want. Well within reason I suppose, bright pink ones would look a little strange. The Jedi robes were meant to blend in on multiple planets, that's why they were mainly earth tones.

Oh thank goodness, i thougth i would have to dye them. I never wear bright pink.

Been looking at light sabres (expensive, but seems to be worth it. Contacted one of them to see if they accept my sort of card.)

Been looking at that guide also, looks pretty good and i should be able to make it well. Will be looking for material soon. If they do accept my card then im going to have to save for the sabre i want :wub:

Thought i would give a little bit of an update. Found the lightsabre i wanted, i have that on my favorites till i can buy one...which will probably be around december....(ive decided to go for a parks one...but it is expensive ish....)

My boots arrived. They fit and come a few inches below my knees.

Pictures of them are below.

4855507a9081317487l.jpg

4855507a9081317513l.jpg

I think i may also have found my cloak fabric, which i will hopefully buy on friday, although at this rate, whatever i buy...ill get interogated....which is probably why i havent attempted this before. That and they also think i am weird as they have spotted my wigs..... I dont know what they are going to think when fabric turns up...lol. Also with the boots i may have to actually get leggings as the back of my legs are a bit thick, but i need to slim down as well, so that might help.

Thank you so much to those who have given me advice for the outfit so far. Hopefully ill be able to use it to my advantage when i get my material.

Just a thought, you might want to cover the buckles on the boots... (if those are buckles). Also I've seen fleece used for the cloak and it looks pretty good, may be cheaper? Though it is boiling. Remember that the trousers need to be tucked into the boots and they're usually slightly baggy, so leggins might not be the best idea.

If you need any help/advice give me a yell. I have a pretty good cheat for the undershirt that will cut down on cost/layers (and heat exhaustion)

hmm...what do i cover the buckles with? They are buckles but they had tissue wrapped round them at the time!!!

Having trouble finding the right material for the undershirt anyways. Any tips or cost cutting solutions would be welcomed.

Havent ordered my material yet...but i dont want to make it out of a fleece..(too hot really!) The material that i found is synthetic suede looking...in two minds at the moment about that but i cant really find anything anywhere else...

hmm...what do i cover the buckles with? They are buckles but they had tissue wrapped round them at the time!!!

Having trouble finding the right material for the undershirt anyways. Any tips or cost cutting solutions would be welcomed.

Havent ordered my material yet...but i dont want to make it out of a fleece..(too hot really!) The material that i found is synthetic suede looking...in two minds at the moment about that but i cant really find anything anywhere else...

All I can suggest to you is to get the cheapest fabric/ muselin you can find and make a mock up outfit, that way you will have a better idea of how much of the real ( more expensive) fabric you will need. Also, try places like Dunhelm for fabrics as I have found them quite competitive. Although they do mostly curtain/ upholstery fabrics, but they're worth a look, I've got some real bargains out of there.

If you're not attached to your buckles & straps, cut them off or paint them. If you're not sure how to proceed, get yourself a pattern, I think simplicity do Jedi type patterns. You can get them off Ebay, or check you local haberdasheries, Simplicity usually have a half price sale around this time of year.

Edited by wyrdsister

Not startign on the tunic just yet but i know roughly how big it has to be .

As for the buckles, i do actually like them and i will be using them even when im not being a jedi. That and i dont want to damage the boots.

I just mainly need to know who make it quickly enoguh and the best material for it...really...i also need to look for tousers.....

As for the buckles, i do actually like them and i will be using them even when im not being a jedi. That and i dont want to damage the boots.

I just mainly need to know who make it quickly enoguh and the best material for it...really...i also need to look for tousers.....

ok, you can make some gatters to go over the boots, I know of few SW costumers who have used this technique. I'll have a loo for a link if that helps

ok, you can make some gatters to go over the boots, I know of few SW costumers who have used this technique. I'll have a loo for a link if that helps

This is a friend of mine who makes costumes with cost effectiveness in mind. If you check out her pictures for the SW premiere in NY, there are some pics that might give you some ideas.

The Real of the Jedielfqueen

Hope that helps :D)

Just get some black pvc/fake leather and wrap it round the buckles. I think Face meant that usually the Jedi boots don't have the buckles and stuff showing, but they do have strapping. So just wrap the buckles with pleather. :P You only need little scraps from the look of it. I think I have some I could send you if needs be.

Just get some black pvc/fake leather and wrap it round the buckles. I think Face meant that usually the Jedi boots don't have the buckles and stuff showing, but they do have strapping. So just wrap the buckles with pleather. :P You only need little scraps from the look of it. I think I have some I could send you if needs be.

ah okies, thank you.

Im also going to see if i can try and get a lightsabre kit as the lightsabre i want seems to be increasing in price now and the usual MR lightsabres seem to only come in green.....Ordered my robe material so in my week off i will be working on the robe :P

MR should come in Blue and Red too.

They do: Maul, Vader, Anakin, Kenobi, Luke and Yoda. They did do a Mace Windu, but that's pretty rare now. Ebay may be your best bet for the 'character' MR sabers. The kit is good though and you can choose blue, green or red for the blade. The blade is shorter than usual and the hilt a tiny bit bulkier. But they handle well if you want to learn tricks.

Edited by Face

MR should come in Blue and Red too.

They do: Maul, Vader, Anakin, Kenobi, Luke and Yoda. They did do a Mace Windu, but that's pretty rare now. Ebay may be your best bet for the 'character' MR sabers. The kit is good though and you can choose blue, green or red for the blade. The blade is shorter than usual and the hilt a tiny bit bulkier. But they handle well if you want to learn tricks.

Ive looked on ebay, at the moment they are only doing yodas green sabre. i will keep an eye out for any others though.....

I think i have a problem ( sorry for the double post)

Just looked up at one of the guides about making the robe and one says that the fabric shouldnt be synthetic......and i think i have ended up with some sort of synthetic....even though tis good material.......does it matter...? Im having a hard time getting the right materials to start off with.........:unsure:

As in the outer robe? (Cloak) It shouldn't really matter too much, as I said before I've seen them made out of fleece, as well as wool and cashmere. So long as its heavy enough to sit right. They aren't lightweight cloaks so they hang flat most of the time, unless you are walking quickly/running/jumping etc.

If you mean the tunic, it really should be natural, as it hangs differently and isn't generally as hot as synthetics. You need to be able to breathe in the stuff. Also sometimes synthetics don't sew as easily, it may be factoring this in the guide you looked at. But if it seems to be going okay then it shouldn't really matter, so long as you are happy with it!

Edited by Face

As in the outer robe? (Cloak) It shouldn't really matter too much, as I said before I've seen them made out of fleece, as well as wool and cashmere. So long as its heavy enough to sit right. They aren't lightweight cloaks so they hang flat most of the time, unless you are walking quickly/running/jumping etc.

If you mean the tunic, it really should be natural, as it hangs differently and isn't generally as hot as synthetics. You need to be able to breathe in the stuff. Also sometimes synthetics don't sew as easily, it may be factoring this in the guide you looked at. But if it seems to be going okay then it shouldn't really matter, so long as you are happy with it!

Havent got to the tunic to be honest. The only decision is what side to use ........and also what guide to use ( depending on what has the less amount of sewing involved as im technically not the best at sewing so i want to really keep it to a minimum and i also want to be able to hide any noticeable seams if anything does happen to show.....)