Michael Dorn?

Lizzy

I met him a few years back and he was really nice to me... but I've heard on here people haven't had such good experiences this time round? I'm seeing him tomorrow after not having enough time today... I'm gona try and make it after his photoshoot so I don't get the "no photos cos I have a photoshoot later" excuse... though all I want is a pic of him signing my group piccie and I'll be happy.

Did anyone get any photos? Or have a nice convo?

He was a nice guy, but didnt really chat much. I asked him how he was and he just replied "ask me in 4 hours".

I asked him to sign my Nemesis cast pic (he was the last person I needed to finish it), which he did.

I had tried talking to him about the photo, and how I've enjoyed meeting the cast over the years, getting it signed, but he didnt say anything.

I then asked him if he wouldnt mind holding it for me so I could take a pic, only as he was the last one for it; i explained, which he said he'd do as long as i didnt use the flash, but he seemed quite bored by the whole thing!?!

When I was in the Jeff Cohen queue next to his yesterday I glanced over to him meeting his fans, he didn't seem too interested to me. Perhaps he could have taken a leaf out of Jeffs book, he was chatty, friendly and very happy to meet his fans.

We met him on Friday granted it's the quiter day out of the whole Collectormania weekend but he was very offish even then, he looked incredibly bored by the whole thing he sat and talked to the staff more than us, frankly I was a bit disapointed by him but Denise Crosby was lovely very friendly and was happy to have her photo taken though not posed but happy to smile for my camera. :D

I saw him in the end- got the photos of my group pic being singned... but I was disappointed. He was so great last time I saw him, I almost wish he hadn't been announced... my record of now saying "Every single TNG guest I've met has been amazing" isn't too true now... though he did move to DS9, so I guess that accounts for it!

I was in the queue for Jeff Cohen and I had looked over and notice that Michael Dorn had anti-bacterial hand spray on the table. I thought that this was a strange item to have in view of people.

Nah, at the big cons in the states they do it all the time.

When I went to my first super-con (that's super in terms of scale, not in terms of quality, btw), I felt the same way... "How insulting is that to have soap on the table in front of you?!" But when you've met some of the more... how do I put it.... stereotypical.... geeks, you can see why. Also, you never know where people have had their hands, if they wash their hands after toilet stops, if they've touched something you're allergic to and, in this sort of environment, hands get sweaty and sticky and grubby very quickly!

The friends I was with in the states actually bought the stuff for a couple of stars because they were horrified that they hadn't brought their own with them.

My friends found it strange that I was slightly insulted by it, saying that if they were going to do that, they could at least be discrete.

Different culture I guess.

I observed him at close range at a signing at Forbbiden Planet a good few years back and he was actually grumpier than Worf.

If it wasnt for the comfy sweater and slacks i would have sweared he was in character.

Worf would have been better, I think. "Ignoring people who have come a long way to meet me is not honorable!"

Not that he ignored me as such, but he looked like he'd definitely rather go watch some paint dry...

I was in the queue for Jeff Cohen and I had looked over and notice that Michael Dorn had anti-bacterial hand spray on the table. I thought that this was a strange item to have in view of people.

When I went to my first super-con (that's super in terms of scale, not in terms of quality, btw), I felt the same way... "How insulting is that to have soap on the table in front of you?!" But when you've met some of the more... how do I put it.... stereotypical.... geeks, you can see why. Also, you never know where people have had their hands, if they wash their hands after toilet stops, if they've touched something you're allergic to and, in this sort of environment, hands get sweaty and sticky and grubby very quickly!

Agreed - I think you've got to take into account that there are a lot of people out there who don't take personal hygiene as seriously as others. Take the gents toilets - you'll often see guys walk straight out after using the urinal (particularly in a pub) - and sometimes even straight out of the cubicle. Another great example is when someone with a cold wipes their nose with their hands.... Obviously as soon as you shake hands with them, those cold germs are on your hands now. As soon as you rub your eye, or pick your teeth, or rub your nose, whatever is on you hand has now found a way in. So I guess I can understand where Dorn is coming from on this - especially when he has to shake so many hands over the course of the weekend

I had a nice brief chat and he talked about the TNG book I had him sign but when I politely asked for a picture with him on my camera he said he was doing a photoshoot tomorrow so I explained I am only there today(Saturday)to which he smiled and said,'I'm sorry'which is the reason why I am against photoshoots!

Im not a fan of ST so I didn’t attempt to meet him but I didn’t notice him to not have a que at any point I went over to the area he was while waiting to meet Jeff Cohen and the few people that did go up to meet him didn’t get much of a conversation from him.

Then, he went off to for a walk and two men dressed as klingons stopped him and asked for photos, he said go away, leave me alone. They replied simply with please just one pic im a big fan of your work and he said, no leave me alone, im not a klingon.

I understand he didn’t want to stop to take pictures and he shouldn’t have to quite frankly but im not sure if he really needed to be quite so rude either.

Im not a fan of ST so I didn’t attempt to meet him but I didn’t notice him to not have a que at any point I went over to the area he was while waiting to meet Jeff Cohen and the few people that did go up to meet him didn’t get much of a conversation from him.

Then, he went off to for a walk and two men dressed as klingons stopped him and asked for photos, he said go away, leave me alone. They replied simply with please just one pic im a big fan of your work and he said, no leave me alone, im not a klingon.

I understand he didn’t want to stop to take pictures and he shouldn’t have to quite frankly but im not sure if he really needed to be quite so rude either.

It reminds me of the film "Galaxy Quest". :firedevil:

There is no need to be rude to fans. Such comments (above) and to paraphrase what he said to me, essentially, "Go to the photo shoot" is rather abrupt. Perhaps a jovial fobbing off excuse will be more appropriate? Perhaps we did not understand his dry sense of humour? ;)

I wonder if anyone got a photo shoot with him?

• Moderators

I had a nice brief chat and he talked about the TNG book I had him sign but when I politely asked for a picture with him on my camera he said he was doing a photoshoot tomorrow so I explained I am only there today(Saturday)to which he smiled and said,'I'm sorry'which is the reason why I am against photoshoots!

You shouldn't really be against photoshoots - to be fair, a lot of guests that have them do still do posed photos over the desk anyway, and it's often just the busiest ones that don't (and they wouldn't anyway).

Anyway I talked to Michael a few times over the weekend and he seemed like a pleasant enough guy. It's a shame that some people had less than great experiences with him.

Granted it must get kinda annoying to just be known as the Klingon... but he was at a sci fi show, and Worf is his biggest role... what does he expect? He is there for that reason alone, and some fans have taken the time to pay homage to his role... Whereas he could have given the token photo shoot answer and that'd have been ok- there is no need to be rude to the people that have essentially helped him make money. Lets face it, he wouldn't have been here this weekend if he didn't have fans of him in Trek...

I'm just so disappointed as the guy I met the other day wasn't the friendly guy I met a few years back... 1 off maybe, but it was all 3 days... (although ironically enough- I've just noticed he was wearing the EXACT same top when I saw him on Sun as a few years ago!!)

Agreed - I think you've got to take into account that there are a lot of people out there who don't take personal hygiene as seriously as others. Take the gents toilets - you'll often see guys walk straight out after using the urinal (particularly in a pub) - and sometimes even straight out of the cubicle. Another great example is when someone with a cold wipes their nose with their hands.... Obviously as soon as you shake hands with them, those cold germs are on your hands now. As soon as you rub your eye, or pick your teeth, or rub your nose, whatever is on you hand has now found a way in. So I guess I can understand where Dorn is coming from on this - especially when he has to shake so many hands over the course of the weekend

I agree, the amount of people there at the weekend who stank of BO among other things was quite a lot. I mean how much is a bar of soap or deodrant!!!!!!!!

I had to walk away from one of the stalls because I thought I was going to pass out

So with this in mind, I don't blame Mr Worf

Edited by reddragon

I met michael on the saturday, first time i had met him too. He was pleasent enougth , but not really very chatty, not as much as Denise crosby who seemed very happy to meet the trek fans. I find it funny about the him cleaning the table, but can kind of see why, he must have had a few bad experiences. i was a little bit dissapointed but just thought he was just quiet, he did smile tho. I also noticed that he wasnt talking to denise crosby much, which i would have thought they might.

• Moderators

Regarding the hand spray and similar items - a fair amount of the crew use it too. It's nothing offensive, it's just whether you're shaking a huge amount of hands, or handling a lot of cash etc, it's a hygeine choice.