Discussion about the new venue

Lizzy

Until we get some official answers as to why the show is moving location, whether it be because Centre:MK are making changes/dislike the show being there or whether Showmasters want to expand the show, I can't really answer what the best course of action should be. Chances are we'll never know because I'm still waiting to here what happened with Empire Weekend.

And was C14 lackluster because of restrictions?? Or was it because Showmasters have a lot on their plate and couldn't quite have the time to really pump their full efforts into it?? I've said it before, I think Showmasters do too many shows per year and as a result, none of the shows excel and all are falling behind their previous efforts from a few years ago, when they did excellent work indeed. Just my opinion, shared by quite a few people I know, one of which counts for a lot.

OK - it's moving because the Centre MK wants it out. There's a simple choice - CM14 elsewhere, or no CM14, 15 etc.

For this event, Showmasters had to cut back on guests, and cut back on trade table frontage, because the Centre MK said so. No wings = fewer guests, or smaller guests, and fewer tables.

That's SM's event profit cut - the two major sources of income cut by direct decision of Centre MK.

It doesn't matter whether we want it there, or whether individual shops want it there - senior management of the Centre MK doesn't, and it's their space to hire out. Not ours. They don't have to say why to us - or anyone else except their owners.

So, efforts are being made to make the other venue as good. Jason has listed most of them, but one I haven't seen is the answer to photo development. The answer I have heard is that at present, it is planned that the cards will be biked to the same place they are currently being developed. It'll cost SM someone full time biking back and forth, but that's cheaper than messing up by using somewhere unreliable.

The source for all this - Jason - either in postings in this thread, or in his debriefing speech to the crew during takedown on Sunday.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

ok bad choice of words, I should have said discussion rather than arguement, but it does seem that the same points are being gone over again and again.

You're right. But someone new comes along and doesn't read the whole thread and so puts up the same points. It'll happen and unfortunately telling people to stop will only make them do it more. Welcome to my world :crying:

• Moderators

You're right. But someone new comes along and doesn't read the whole thread and so puts up the same points. It'll happen and unfortunately telling people to stop will only make them do it more. Welcome to my world :D

And what a wonderful world it is .. I know you love it :crying:

I just meant to say that fans meeting guests was the main thing and the main reason for there being cons in the first place (to the gen public) but I do appreciate that without dealers SM wouldnt have enough funds to set up the events for us.

Are there actually dealers out there who only ever do CM and never the other shows (cos they dont bring in general shoppers)?

Edited by nicky

chris_mk is right, my comment about the autograph collectors being a waste of space was in jest. And it's also nice to see another dealer add further perspective on this. It's common I think that most dealers end up making a loss on most events, the MK shows were the one exception.

Also Nicky, who sponsors Showmaster events????

Until we get some official answers as to why the show is moving location, whether it be because Centre:MK are making changes/dislike the show being there or whether Showmasters want to expand the show, I can't really answer what the best course of action should be. Chances are we'll never know because I'm still waiting to here what happened with Empire Weekend.

And was C14 lackluster because of restrictions?? Or was it because Showmasters have a lot on their plate and couldn't quite have the time to really pump their full efforts into it?? I've said it before, I think Showmasters do too many shows per year and as a result, none of the shows excel and all are falling behind their previous efforts from a few years ago, when they did excellent work indeed. Just my opinion, shared by quite a few people I know, one of which counts for a lot.

I understand were you're coming from and I've been vocal in the 'there's too many shows debate', but I don't think its fair to say all shows are falling in their effort - in my opinion, the last LFaCC had the best SM lineup ever!

free entry

free buses to and from center MK, train station and coach station

more room to walk about

more space for big guests

new hotel at the stadium coming on line early next year were fans can stay at and party on though the night

free talks on two stages

this is just some of the things we are planing

Thank you for clearing the rumours up oldnick, although Jason didn't mention any of that in his post so all we can go by is the rumours and counter-rumours, which makes it all the more curious and head scratching.

If it is true, then the management of Centre:MK have made a very questionable decision. And of cause the best course of action is to re-locate.

Having top guest line-ups is one thing, but actually executing a premiere event is another. That's been the biggest downfall for the recent Showmaster shows, that and lots of things falling through with no mention of what's going on.

I think a lot would argue that the main point of a con is to "meet" the guests. A good number are only interested in the dealers, and I remember going to Celebration III and the bulk of the crowd only wanted the exclusive merchandise.

I think a lot would argue that the main point of a con is to "meet" the guests. A good number are only interested in the dealers, and I remember going to Celebration III and the bulk of the crowd only wanted the exclusive merchandise.

I wasnt there but if Mark Hamill was the only significant guest there (that hadnt done regular SM cons before) and was charging £100 I'm not surprised.

Celebration Europe was great, and contained much more then just guests and dealers.... you really had to have been there to pass judgement. But I was indeed referring to Celebration III state-side in 2005, hence why I called it Celebration III and not Celebration Europe.

Although as a side note Nicky you might like to know that Mark Hamill, despite the very high price tag, was very much in demand. And his talk, which was free, was easily the best talk I've ever been lucky enough to attend.

Edited by mattman81

Oh No :poki: PLEASE don't take Collectormania away from the centre MK. After attending 5 shows I just about know my way around and can go shopping inbetween signings PLUS my Dad knows how to get there in the car. If its moved I doubt he'll take me and I'll have to get a train which I can't afford...Showmasters always put on great shows at the Centre MK and I don't want it to change venue :smile: If it does go ahead though, how far away is the MK stadium from the centre MK?

• Showmasters Admin

Oh No :( PLEASE don't take Collectormania away from the centre MK. After attending 5 shows I just about know my way around and can go shopping inbetween signings PLUS my Dad knows how to get there in the car. If its moved I doubt he'll take me and I'll have to get a train which I can't afford...Showmasters always put on great shows at the Centre MK and I don't want it to change venue ;) If it does go ahead though, how far away is the MK stadium from the centre MK?

If you read the other posts in this thread you will see it's not a case of "IF" it moves. We have to move, sorry but it is going ahead.

The stadium is a couple of miles away.

So, efforts are being made to make the other venue as good. Jason has listed most of them, but one I haven't seen is the answer to photo development. The answer I have heard is that at present, it is planned that the cards will be biked to the same place they are currently being developed. It'll cost SM someone full time biking back and forth, but that's cheaper than messing up by using somewhere unreliable.

As far as I am awar there is a branch of Boots near to the new venue, it would be very easy for SM to contact them and arrange for photo development. As long as SM give them prior notice they should be able to handle the workload.

I've also been told today that there is an Asda and Tesco nearby too, don't know if there is photo development at those branches but it might be another avenue to look donw for SM

Edited by Magenta_Jan

I am quite looking forward to the change. Ok so yes I like the shopping centre, but things change and this is a good chance to make changes SM have not been able to before and take the show to the next stage, Very exciting!

I appreciate the dealers perspective as the general public were a bonus for them, but hopefully all the other people who couldn't be bothered to [ush their way through to look (including me!) will now be able to browse. Until the first one has happened you can only predict.

Going to be so much easier on my feet! :-)

• 3 months later...