Discussion about the new venue

Lizzy

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was amanda tapping the only new guest announced what about the other shows? and when is c15?

Amanda is the only guest announced for C15 and the dates are 5th-7th June. Don't know about guests for the other events.

June??? Oh no, that's ages away, no more bank holiday weekend Collectormanias plus it's not a good weekend for me, lots of family birthdays. :D:(

I have mixed feelings like most people. It will be a shame not to be able to take a wander and find somewhere to eat during the day. And I always liked how bright the MK Centre was, pictures always come out better there. But at least with it moving to a proper venue we can have more/bigger guests and it will be less hectic. The day John Barrowman was there was just ridiculously fraught and I never want to go throught that again! Another benefit I think would be that now they should be able to do talks.

No free parking and no hotels nearby the new venue is a problem though as that adds to the costs of attending, even if it's free entrance.

Going from a post in another topic the parking is free according to the posters advertising the event.

Personally I am kind of sad that the show will leave the shopping centre too. But I agree with pompey, I don't exactly want to go through anything like the John Barrowman appearance day again. So I understand why the show was moved.

And yeah, hopefully this means we are getting talks again. :D

Edited by Queen_Sindel

It is still going to be FREE ENTRY at the stadium.

I'm going to miss the shopping centre but everything is going to be under one roof which will be nice, the talks, signings, the dealers. It'll be more spacious that's for sure!

It can only get bigger and better!!

Was amanda tapping the only new guest announced what about the other shows? and when is c15?

Amanda is the only guest announced for C15 and the dates are 5th-7th June. Don't know about guests for the other events.

June??? Oh no, that's ages away, no more bank holiday weekend Collectormanias plus it's not a good weekend for me, lots of family birthdays. :D:(

I have the same issue. lots of b'days around that time including mine - oh well, no B'day outing on the Sat - convention instead! :)

No free parking and no hotels nearby the new venue is a problem though as that adds to the costs of attending, even if it's free entrance.

Going from a post in another topic the parking is free according to the posters advertising the event.

I hope so. I looked on the website for the stadium and this is what it says on there:

Those traveling to the match by car should follow the brown stadium signage. Limited parking is available at the stadium priced at £5.

Alternatively, patrons should park considerately in the industrial areas surrounding the stadium and NOT in the parking areas of the nearby retail and trade outlets, or in areas signed as privately owned (such as Granby Trade Park) where there is a risk of clamping. Dedicated disabled parking is only available at the stadium site.

obviously that's on match days, but I assume it's the same for other events there and it does say it's limited.

wooohooo, no more spending money at the shopping centre, LMFAO!

Does this mean there won't be a hotel in walking distance now?

And :D:( at Amanda Tapping!

As far as i can recall, there is a small travel lodge / hotel thing in Fenny Stratford, about 10 mins or so from the Stadium, but that is really all. All the main hotels are in CMK! Whether or Showmasters will set something up for travelling is another issue. Or unless a hotel is built right next to the Stadium!!!!

I've just got home from being there today. Bit disappointed as there didn't seem to be much of an atmosphere. Maybe because they've changed the layout a bit, maybe just me but while fridays are always quieter, there's usually a bit more of a buzz than there seemed to be today. Dare say tomorrow will be better.

Morena Baccarin was lovely though and the main person I wanted to meet which I did without any problem.

Got talking to one of the helpers and he confirmed the location was moving. It'll still be free but personally I think it's not an overly positive move.

I appreciate the issue around security of the guests and the crowds that can develop but I also overheard a few of the stall holders not too happy as they feel they get quite a bit of passing trade from the general shoppers being inquisitive and even felt that some of the guests may get extra visits from people who are just passing and maybe see someone from their past they used to watch etc.

Also, it's great to be able to go off round the shops while waiting for your VQ ticket number to come up when it's busy or when the guests are on lunch breaks etc or just to take some time-out. When I've been to other events in similar seperate venues, it does get boring after a while with nothing to do other than looking at the stalls for the umpteenth time.

Not bothered about the free parking as I always go to the multi-story near the theater which is only £2 per visit - hardly a major expense.

Obviously there may be many reasons why the move is being made that we won't get to know about and it may have been a "move it or cancel it" decision but I have a horrible feeling it won't be as good and may even have a detrimental effect on the event as part of it's uniqueness and charm was the fact it was in the shopping center.

Also, looking at the maps of the proposed layout, it looked like there'd be quite a lot of walking to do to get round the various guest areas which could be a problem if you're trying to find out what VQ ticket number they're currently up to. As it is now, it's easy to keep up to date.

I also liked it being over a bank holiday weekend and twice a year. June is getting horribly close to most people's holiday time and money may be short and for those into their music, it's bang at the start of the festival season.

I'm glad it'll still be in MK and free as it's convenient for me to get to but I'll be less inclinded to hang around all day as I often to at the moment and don't think it'll be as enjoyable.

Maybe I'm wrong and it'll be a lot better but I rather like the buzz generated from it being where it is. Makes it different.

I loved Centre MK - there were always plenty of cashpoints !! and we had so many places to eat not just the boring old overpriced sandwiches you get inside places like Earls Court and i come with my friends who are not so much into this as I am and they just wonder off around the shopping centre and we meet back later - not sure if they will want to come now even though the centre will be close we will have a lo of tooing and froing to meet up for lunch etc :-(

Edited by emmah

I loved Centre MK - there were always plenty of cashpoints !! and we had so many places to eat not just the boring old overpriced sandwiches you get inside places like Earls Court and i come with my friends who are not so much into this as I am and they just wonder off around the shopping centre and we meet back later - not sure if they will want to come now even though the centre will be close we will have a lo of tooing and froing to beet up for lunch etc :-(

the shopping centre's not really close, according to Google Maps it woud take an hour and 4 minutes to walk it, or about 10 minutes to drive, it's just over 3 miles.

Edited by jael001

the shopping centre's not really close, according to Google Maps it woud take an hour and 4 minutes to walk it, or about 10 minutes to drive, it's just over 3 miles.

Theres a big ASDA and a Tesco nearby for food, theres also an Ikea with a nice restaurant.

I think its good its still in Milton Keynes. It will take me an hour on the bus to get there where I live (and I still live in Milton Keynes) but I'm looking forward to it being a more relaxed venue.

Central Milton Keynes is about 10-20 minutes away by bus for hotels, not a massive distance.

Looking at Google Maps, it appears that the nearest railway station to the new venue is actually Bletchley. The distance from there to the stadium is only 1.3 miles, compared with 3.6 miles from Milton Keynes Central.

I don't know what the buses are like from Bletchley, but it certainly cuts down the walk.

Its not a surprise, been a long time coming. Since Hobbitmania back at C4. Yes I think it will loose a lot of charm and I think that it will loose a lot of business as I know dealer have said they make more money at collectormania then they do at any othe show due to passing trade.

I have a feeling Showmasters are heading down the conventions path with specific events, seems to be the thing at the moment like it was a few years ago seems to be ups and downs with Cons Vs Signing events. Also I think Midlands, Glasgow and LFACC are now the big events with MK and Gmex taking second pegging.

I persoanlly think that moving to a larger venue is a positive thing. However i have neved been to Earls Court for the London Film & Comic Con.

There is enough around the football staduim, Next, TK Maxx, Matalan, Ikea, Asda, Tesco. Ok not as good as the CMK, but the centre is not a million miles away.

As some one has already mentioned, Showmasters will be able to bring back talks, and also possible more than one photo shoot at a time.

Surely it can only be a good thing???!!!

Theres a big ASDA and a Tesco nearby for food, theres also an Ikea with a nice restaurant.

At least it will be cheaper to get food if that's the case. I hate buying food and drink at the centre - the prices are awful.

But the lack of walking-distance hotels is a BIG concern. I think this might loose Showmasters quite a few customers, tbh. It's certainly made me think twice about whether I'll be able to attend future cons at the new venue, as I don't have money to fork out on taxis and can't walk much due to health. I'll be sad if I'm not longer able to attend CM because of this move, even though I can fully understand why SM would want to change venue.

In honesty, I've suspected a possible venue change after the chaos of C13 in May. It's very sad but CM has outgrown the centre. If we want SM to keep getting bigger guests this might be their only option because I just don't think it's safe to have it in a more public-friendly venue anymore.

Edited by Princess83

we usually stay at the jury inn up the road which is walking distance from the centre and we make a whole weekend of it, being at the stadium will ruin that whole weekend experience for a lot of people including myself and my friends, some of which are not quite as keen as meeting the stars but are happy to stroll round the shopping centre,

i for one will be gutted when it moves!