Booking a room at the Thistle...

mts.tyra

I was hoping to soon be able to book a room for this one, but then I found out that I have to CALL the hotel in order to book it.

Even though I get by with my English, phone conversations with strangers,

especially when having to say long strings of numbers and spelling everything are really not my forte...

Maybe I should just give up and book online...

-mts.tyra, the one who likes to plan ahead

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling is the usual method to book hotel rooms for conventions unfortunately. I'm out of the UK as well and do have an accent that makes spelling on the phone often very hard depending on who I am talking with. So I hear you about booking problems.

The hotel rooms are usually at a special discounted rate that's given at the local reservation only.

But friends of mine have booked at the Thistle through e-mails before, so it might be worth a try e-mailing them.

If you go through their website, you may be getting a different rate, that is if you get a room at all. Often the hotel is blocked for an event and rooms will not be available online.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Showmasters Admin

The Thistle are an airport hotel located at Heathrow and so I am sure they are used to international travellers booking in with them and so I am positive they will be patient and helpful with booking from abroad!

Remember, your English is almost certainly a lot better that their Fin, or German, or Dutch or French! :P

Mark :P

I've just rang the hotel to book and have been told I won't be able to do so until the middle of next year?!? Is this right?? Has anyone else been able to book? :YAHOO:

I've justed booked, are you ringing the special number from the website 0208 624 4004 they are available 9am to 5.30pm monday to friday only. Just need to buy my tickets now :WAVE:

Ok, the gods are against me! The woman still won't let me book! DavidB/Thanatos - I told her you have just booked and she said there's no way you could have done! What's going on? I have rang the right number, she even said 'is it the Massive Events Con?' and quoted the dates! Not to worry you guys but are you sure she's not booked you in for this year? I am having a blonde day at work, so maybe it is just me! HELP!!

Haha guys, I have a loooongggg history of conventions at The Thistle and be prepared for the unexpected :lol:

You never know what might happen with them so you'd better check twice ;)

The hotel is really poor in my opinion but they have nice restaurant and they have an area which is excellent for a convention ! That's why I like going to conventions there and also of course because it's close to Heathrow (if you fly, you have to take the Hoppa bus number 4 to go from the airport to the hotel but note that it's not free, it's £4 for a journey !! :WINCE: )

Thistle is like my second home :P

Ok, the gods are against me! The woman still won't let me book! DavidB/Thanatos - I told her you have just booked and she said there's no way you could have done! What's going on? I have rang the right number, she even said 'is it the Massive Events Con?' and quoted the dates! Not to worry you guys but are you sure she's not booked you in for this year? I am having a blonde day at work, so maybe it is just me! HELP!!

I'm defo booked I've got the same email confirmation as Davidb, I can't remember the lady's name that I spoke to, I do remember it began with a "P". Just ask for the lady who works there with the name starting with "P" :WINCE: When I booked she knew who massive events were and gave me the right price for the rooms. Very strange

Edited by Thanatos

my experience of the thistle is that they arent the most helpful... however if your english is not great i wouldnt worry too much because they seem to have a variety of people who can speak different languages so you should be fine on that side of things.....

just a word to the wise though, there arent really any places nearby to the thistle to eat unless you have a car...... or unless you love macdonalds!!!!

They take a card number as a 'guarantee', but you pay once you get there with whatever you want.

Oh thankgod! Ive still gotta pay to get to Northampton for Eclipse 2 and pay for my room there, not to mention 2 weeks before Eclipse im going to Egypt. hahah This has eased it.

Thanks David.

my experience of the thistle is that they arent the most helpful... however if your english is not great i wouldnt worry too much because they seem to have a variety of people who can speak different languages so you should be fine on that side of things.....

just a word to the wise though, there arent really any places nearby to the thistle to eat unless you have a car...... or unless you love macdonalds!!!!

I doubt they speak any Finnish, though...

Then again, there used to be someone at the Jury's in MK, who spoke Finnish...

and the last time I was in London, one of the receptionists was Finnish.

I guess I have to bring loads of unperishables with me... as I don't even have a driver's licence...

and there's also the lil' thingy called "special dietary requirements".

-mts.tyra, the one still a bit apprehensive about calling 'em

• Moderators

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

If you are trying to book a room please call the In House Reservation Team:

0208 624 4004 (quoting Massive Events for preferred room rates)

Not any of the 0870 numbers.

This way you get through to people that are aware of the convention happening.

The person I talked to was named Preeti and she's fully knowledgable of the event and able to do bookings, so please ask for her if you have a problem when you call.

I know there are a number of people that have had issues, so hopefully this can prevent that from happening.

Edited by DavidB

• Moderators

Ah that's good to know :D

I'd had a few people tell me they were told they couldn't book until January, so I just phoned them up myself and got Preeti to check my booking (which is fine) and made sure I got her name this time round!