PAUL W.S. ANDERSON (yes, seriously. HIM!)

nicky

I thought of Paul WS Anderson cos we've already had Neil Marshall, another British typical fanboy-genre writer-director.

PWSA already did that con in San Diego this year and last and he didnt get pelted with rotten vegetables or anything so perhaps it's safe. :unsure:

Death Race

Alien Vs Predator

Resident Evil (also wrote/produced the sequels)

Soldier

Event Horizon

Mortal Kombat

Shopping

Edited by nicky

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely. One of my favourite directors since I first saw Mortal Kombat. He has a great talent when it comes to transferring video games to movies, and making them accessible for a wide audience. AVP was criticised, but again, it was great how he managed to make a version that could be watched by any newcomer to the franchise.

Sorry Nicky - normally I can back you 100%, but not on this one - Event Horizon was OK at best - Resident Evil coasted through, but any Director who screws up Aliens Vs. Predator is a moron in my book. That's one franchise that writes itself!

Yeah, I know. Its not that I love what he did to AvP but more that he was the guy that finally made the damn movie after geeks like me had wished for it for 14 LONG yrs. I actually enjoy his DVD commentaries too and love the look of Soldier (1998).

Sorry Nicky - normally I can back you 100%, but not on this one - Event Horizon was OK at best - Resident Evil coasted through, but any Director who screws up Aliens Vs. Predator is a moron in my book. That's one franchise that writes itself!

Yeah, I know. Its not that I love what he did to AvP but more that he was the guy that finally made the damn movie after geeks like me had wished for it for 14 LONG yrs. I actually enjoy his DVD commentaries too and love the look of Soldier (1998).

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Soldier - I actually didn't mind that film at all. I've always liked Kurt Russell - and the fact that it was set in the same universe as Blade Runner was interesting.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Soldier - the fact that it was set in the same universe as Blade Runner was interesting.

To me that was pointless as it made no difference to the plot whatsoever - they could have easily just said it was set in the same universe as any sf movie. The only nods to BR were the spinner (which I still havent spotted) and the tattooes on Kurt's arm - nothing of any significance at all.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Soldier - the fact that it was set in the same universe as Blade Runner was interesting.

To me that was pointless as it made no difference to the plot whatsoever - they could have easily just said it was set in the same universe as any sf movie. The only nods to BR were the spinner (which I still havent spotted) and the tattooes on Kurt's arm - nothing of any significance at all.

Yeah - the tattoos were because Kurt's character was a veteran of the battle of Tanhauser gate - where Roy Batty "watched C-beams glitter in the darkness". Apparently David Peoples intended it to be set in the same universe. I agree that they didn't really explore it though. It was originally in the script - they were going to show the whole battle in flashback - but in the end they didn't have the budget.

I think it's interesting to compare Soldier to Pitch Black - a lot of similarities - Soldier was an OK film, but most of what wasn't quite right about it was nailed in Pitch Black....

I think it's interesting to compare Soldier to Pitch Black - a lot of similarities - Soldier was an OK film, but most of what wasn't quite right about it was nailed in Pitch Black....

I'm not sure I see how they resemble eachother. I always thought Soldier was obviously an update of Shane or Mad Max: The Road Warrior.

Edited by nicky

I'm not sure I see how they resemble eachother. I always thought Soldier was obviously an update of Shane or Mad Max: The Road Warrior.

Let me see if I can have a crack at it : -

"Lone, misunderstood type, who's done some dodgy things in his past, is initially rejected by a group of normal individuals, who react to our hero with fear. However, he is ultimately accepted (partly due to the very abilities that caused his initial rejection).

Hero then defends normals, and and leads them to safety. Hero thus goes on a redemptive story arc, and finds a new humanity within himself. Some normals die.

Hero finally buggers off in a spaceship, to new horizons and adventures, fully redeemed, and having grown as a person."

That age old story! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading an old thread on the horror board (the one fans fought and campaigned for in 2004 but have since disappeared) and our very own forumer, Obi-wan :thumbup: said he's is actually a friend of PWSA's.

Would Obi-Wan care to comment on this thread? I aint seen him post since LFCC though.

I was reading an old thread on the horror board (the one fans fought and campaigned for in 2004 but have since disappeared) and our very own forumer, Obi-wan :yoda: said he's is actually a friend of PWSA's.

Would Obi-Wan care to comment on this thread? I aint seen him post since LFCC though.

Obi-Wan, please ask PWSA to bring his wife along to CM15 as well.