Help for a newbie?

echoamaru

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if someone could help - I'm a bit new to the world of conventions. I've been to a few Showmasters events in recent years (two Collectormanias and one LFCC). I was surfing the forums (whilst procrastinating my dissertation writing!) and was thrilled to read the lastest post about a planned Carry On reunion at Autographica - I've been a lifelong fan and would LOVE to meet some of the stars!

My questions is about how Autographica works; mainly how is it different from Collectormania? From reading through the info on the website its clear that there are some differences - the Friday night drinks, and the opportunity to buy tickets for dinner with the guests - but how does main part of the day differ from Collectormania, for example? Do you get VTs and queue up in the same way? What about photos? Is there a different etiquette? (Desperate not to turn up and embarrass myself!) Ooh ... whilst I'm asking (on a flow now, you're never gonna shut me up, that's what happens when I de-lurk!) how do you go about attending the Friday drinks? Tickets for Sat, Sun and the dinner are advertised, but nothing for the Friday...

I've had a read through the FAQs on the website, but I'm still not very sure... Would be grateful for any help you can give!

Echo :dance:

I think the Friday drinks reception is for Diamond Pass holders only (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats the case). The Diamond pass is the most expensive ticket, you can but and gets you things like a place at the dinner, easier access to the big name guests, free entry to talks etc. There's a section on the site about it.

In terms of the virtual queue's and the day itself it operates much the same way as the other SM events. The main difference is though that Autographica is a much more relaxed, low key event so there isn't the mad scramble for tickets that you'd get at other events. On the whole they will have a set number of entry tickets available and won't sell over that number so the queues to see guests are a lot more manageable. I've tended to find that you don't spend so much time hanging around with nothing to do at this event.

Photos over the table are pretty much the same but you'll tend to find the vast majority of guests tend to allow it. I think Tony Curtis wasn't last time round but that tends to be the exception. I'm fairly sure the photoshoots work the same way as they do at the other SM events but then again I've only had photo shoots at Autographica so I can't be 100% sure on that.

Personally I think Autographica is the best event SM run, there's no screaming hordes and you get to meet people who have accomplished amazing things.

Edited by Count Fooku

I think the Friday drinks reception is for Diamond Pass holders only (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats the case). The Diamond pass is the most expensive ticket, you can but and gets you things like a place at the dinner, easier access to the big name guests, free entry to talks etc. There's a section on the site about it.

That's correct.

A Gold Pass also gets you low numbered VQ tickets for the most popular guests. I've only done one Autographica before and can only remember I got a VQ ticket for Honor Blackman, but I am sure others can give you more example.

But a Diamond Pass has lots more extras.