SGA Cancelled, Universe greenlit

zebredy

Well Universe has been greenlit now ..

The trade magazine also reported that the show will be set on board a previously unmanned ship called the Destiny, and will involve more space-based action than its predecessors. "Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe," the magazine said.

The producers are reportedly looking to cast a known actor for one of the leading roles, and fresh faces to round out the cast.

The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience

It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

"In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home,"

Doesn't appeal to me!

I watched a few eps of s1 ATL, I couldn't maintain interest to follow it. Of SG1 I liked its early seasons the most. Once spaceships entered storylines I was very bored!

I want exploration and meeting new alien people each week: those were the eps of SG1 I liked.

I admit I would only watch pilot of new series if MS guest-starred in it. Otherwise I won't be watching, his character Daniel was the only reason I watched SG1 for the number of years it aired.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved SG-1 for six seasons - it coasted OK for two more, and IMHO it should have ended at the end of Season 8. Atlantis had it's moments - not up to the quality of early SG-1, not by a long shot, but certainly had it's moments.

But as for Stargate : Universe, it's not doing it for me. the casting details so far suggest the vast majority of the cast will be low 20s - just doesn't sound good to me. I'm not sure I want to watch Stargate : 90210 - am getting a bit tired of this "cast 22 year olds that are absurdly good looking" paradigm.

I do understand that they want to pull in a new generation of fans, but I'd like to see someone who doesn't look like a 20 year old Jessica Simpson or Ashton Kutcher out saving the world. It's one of the things that ruined Cloverfield for me - people *just don't look like that*.

Particularly, just once I'd like to see an *average* looking woman in a lead role in this sort of show.

Particularly, just once I'd like to see an *average* looking woman in a lead role in this sort of show.

I'd volunteer...I'm an average bordering on middle age woman :thumbup:

Seriously, I'm with you on this one - I like to see a mixture of ages, so I think they might be in danger of alienating their current audience if they are not careful by sticking with youngsters in their 20s.

However, you never know - it might be a huge great success and we will all eat our words!

They seriously will need someone with HUGE charisma to launch it - SG-1 would never have taken off without RDA, and I'm sure Atlantis would not have lasted so long without David Hewlett.

Have you seen the comments made about the cast list online so far yet?

What I saw is 99.5 percent negative, and that is even with some sites and forum deleting posts.

Going from that I'd be hugely surprised if this one even survives two seasons without changes.

I agree with you here, I'd like to see a mixture of ages as well. My first thought was if CW had bought SciFi and I missed that part. This seems like a live version of that cartoon series "Infinity", anybody remember that one? That or a longer version of the "younger edgier team" part from the 200 episode.

I bet you poor Colonel Everett is going to develop a drinking problem by episode 3 because he has to babysit so many 90210 characters. :poki:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

They seriously will need someone with HUGE charisma to launch it - SG-1 would never have taken off without RDA

They have a role that is "O'Neill-Esque", the leader of the group, in his mid 40s, that they're looking for a big name to take on. I would guess they're looking for someone 'like' Scott Bakula - not him, because I think he's associated a bit too much with other franchises, but someone like him - as you say to have enough pull to carry the show. But all the other characters are 20-23 :YAHOO:

What I saw is 99.5 percent negative, and that is even with some sites and forum deleting posts.

Going from that I'd be hugely surprised if this one even survives two seasons without changes.

I agree with you here, I'd like to see a mixture of ages as well. My first thought was if CW had bought SciFi

I bet that they pitched it on the back of the buzz from the new Star Trek film. They're clearly aiming at the 15-21 market, thinking they can then get another 10 years out of them, but I just don't see how they're even going to engage with that market.... I'd be shocked if any 18 year old watches a Stargate show! I would think it's core audience are now firmly in their 30s - and they're certainly the one's that caused the success of "Continuum". There's no way on earth they would have grossed $9m domestic in DVD sales for a show aimed at 15-21s.

One of these days we'll see a franchise age with it's audience - as we get older, the characters get older...

That's the big question. Even if they get enough of the 15 to 21 market - something I don't think will work cause pretty characters don't automatically mean the show's a success - they are going to alienate a huge chunk of their core audience. And the core audience is the one with the credit cards as you say.

I had had it when I read "every teenager's dream" in the description of one of the characters on the cast list.

I agree with you here, I'd like to see a mixture of ages as well. My first thought was if CW had bought SciFi

I bet that they pitched it on the back of the buzz from the new Star Trek film. They're clearly aiming at the 15-21 market, thinking they can then get another 10 years out of them, but I just don't see how they're even going to engage with that market.... I'd be shocked if any 18 year old watches a Stargate show! I would think it's core audience are now firmly in their 30s - and they're certainly the one's that caused the success of "Continuum". There's no way on earth they would have grossed $9m domestic in DVD sales for a show aimed at 15-21s.

One of these days we'll see a franchise age with it's audience - as we get older, the characters get older...

Why would you be shocked if any 18 year old watches Stargate? :blush: I'm 20 and been watching it since it came out (so most of my life :YAHOO:) and I know quite a few others around my age who watch it.

Edited by Christoff

They seriously will need someone with HUGE charisma to launch it - SG-1 would never have taken off without RDA

They have a role that is "O'Neill-Esque", the leader of the group, in his mid 40s, that they're looking for a big name to take on. I would guess they're looking for someone 'like' Scott Bakula - not him, because I think he's associated a bit too much with other franchises, but someone like him - as you say to have enough pull to carry the show. But all the other characters are 20-23 :whistling:

Please not him, I like him but as big an enterpirse fan as I am he was not the right person for the role. Someone a bit more manly would be ok in my books, with a slightly deeper voice and a nice 6pack someone more like Kevin Sorbo then Scott would do me...

Thats a big assumption, as a lot of people I saw at the last showmasters I went to where they had Stargate people there, trust me there were a lot of people in the mid - late teens early twenties who were going all fan girly over them.

There are a lot more younger people that watch it then you realise. I started watching it properly when SG-1 hit season two, that being the case I was only 15-16 at the time.

:D

LLAP :D

Edited by zebredy

Please not him, I like him but as big an enterpirse fan as I am he was not the right person for the role. Someone a bit more manly would be ok in my books, with a slightly deeper voice and a nice 6pack someone more like Kevin Sorbo then Scott would do me...

I would have gone for the more scruffy type myself, but in general I agree with you - Scott Bakula wouldn't work.

The first name that came to my mind was Michael Biehn.

Thats a big assumption, as a lot of people I saw at the last showmasters I went to where they had Stargate people there, trust me there were a lot of people in the mid - late teens early twenties who were going all fan girly over them.

There are a lot more younger people that watch it then you realise. I started watching it properly when SG-1 hit season two, that being the case I was only 15-16 at the time.

Again I agree, there certainly are younger fans.

But they won't be automatically attracted to a show only because the cast is their own age. I specifically remember the comment of an 18 year old I sometimes speak to online when the first details about Universe surfaced: "We lost Atlantis for THIS???"

Even if they are getting new viewers in from the younger age range, I kind of doubt that they will balance out the loss they are suffering from the former audience, regardless if 18 or 34.

I would have gone for the more scruffy type myself, but in general I agree with you - Scott Bakula wouldn't work.

The first name that came to my mind was Michael Biehn.

Again I agree, there certainly are younger fans.

But they won't be automatically attracted to a show only because the cast is their own age. I specifically remember the comment of an 18 year old I sometimes speak to online when the first details about Universe surfaced: "We lost Atlantis for THIS???"

Even if they are getting new viewers in from the younger age range, I kind of doubt that they will balance out the loss they are suffering from the former audience, regardless if 18 or 34.

Yeah I see what you are saying. What they really need are actors of all ages (maybe a few younger ones if they must) so to balance the show out a little more, and help atract people of all ages.

Regardless of what people are saying about it, and the fact that a lot would not watch it, I think a lot will tune in to the first episode just to see what its like, I'm just hoping many will be suprised and its not going to be as bad as it sounds...

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

Yeah I see what you are saying. What they really need are actors of all ages (maybe a few younger ones if they must) so to balance the show out a little more, and help atract people of all ages.

That's exactly what I meant.

Regardless of what people are saying about it, and the fact that a lot would not watch it, I think a lot will tune in to the first episode just to see what its like, I'm just hoping many will be suprised and its not going to be as bad as it sounds...

Yeah, that's the straw I am clinging onto at the moment. "Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds."

It's pretty much impossible to overlook the overall negative reaction (if you're not looking away deliberately), so maybe there will be some changes.

I'm not sure I'll watch the first episode right away, I'll probably wait for a few people's opinions before I do. But then on the other hand I even watched 10 minutes of Infinity before finally giving up to fight my giggling fit, so you never know. :hathor:

Good point - but there's something else at work here - the SG-1 age group buy box sets and DVDs. the 15-21 age group don't. I'm not saying that's a hard and fast rule, but in general, they don't - and the industry knows it. The success of Continuum is clearly down to the 30s age group (the producers admit this themselves). The other problem they have is that the 15-21 age group are vastly more likely to download the show via Torrent etc. - bypassing ad revenue. A 15-21 aimed show aims to get the vast amount of it's income from advertising - and in todays age the only chance they have of making it work is through Hulu IMHO.

Also I just don't think a 15-21 year old, on average, is going to gravitate to Stargate. 10 years ago maybe, but not now. I think they're making exactly the same mistake that was made with "Enterprise".

One of the other problems I've got with it is realism - I mean, who would put a 20 year old marine, who can't have much more than two years experience, in a senior position within one of the most important missions that humanity has ever undertaken? It's amazing to think that the characters in this show are going to be 10 years younger than the SG-1 characters were when the show started it's run.

Even at the start, you had Jack O'Neill with more than 20 years experience of air combat and black ops under his belt, and Daniel Jackson who had studied Egyptian history for well over 10 years. Carter was supposed to be the greenhorn, but even she had 1000s of hours in F16s in the Gulf, and a Phd. I guess what I'm saying is, it made sense that these people were on the team.

I must be getting old :D:D