Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince movie pushed back to Summer 2009

cookies41

The press release says the reason for the move was two-fold: First, the studio says summer releases are better for "family tentpole" events, and second, they are still feeling the aftereffects of the writers' strike and need the time to make sure the film reaches the widest audience possible.

The new date, said Jeff Robinov, president of WB's motion picture group, does not alter the production schedule for the last two Harry Potter films; filming on the first of the two book-seven films will begin in February. "The good news for [fans]," he said, "is that the gap will now be shortened between 'Half-Blood Prince' and the first part of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.'"

The writers' strike, the release says, "impacted the readiness of scripts for other films--changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer."

The film will now be released on July 17th 2009

Well i for one am a little dissappointed because i was looking forward to this but maybe if they take longer to release it they can make it better. What does everyone else think?

Edited by cookies41

from what i've read i get the impression they're moving it coz they feel the new release will be better for them in terms of making more money, scripts werent ready for them to be able to make the big block buster summer movies for next year so they're moving Potter to then instead.

i'm annoyed coz was really lookin forward to it! i guess the only good thing is it might be better weather for the premiere but having said that it rained at OOTP n that was in the summer!

Alot has been printed about this in a short period of time. It does seem that money is the main factor as the President of WB stated that they would now have a big release for the Summer. As I said in the General Chat section where someone has started a similar thread, in the present financial climate they will suffer in the merchandise sales. A Summer release could be a blessing in disguise as the figures etc scheduled for a pre-November release in late September/early October would have already been made and dispatched to distributors worldwide ready for shop distribution in a few weeks time.

Mind you, this could mean a double bubble of sales as they can now spread releases of merchandise over Christmas, Easter and Summer...

i get the impression they're moving it coz they feel the new release will be better for them in terms of making more money.

Yes, but isnt that understandable? That's how things work in Hollywood - it's all about making money. The film is a product and WB are the manufacturers and the fans are the consumers. WB obviously want the film to be a success as I'm sure fans do too.

The bigger success the film is the better chance that even more money can be put into making the next film and other future HP WB owned stuff (inc DVDs).