just to warn you we are putting big name guest into this show

showmasters

the people who actually pay for these shows should be allowed to express their opinions without being shot down by the pc brigade all the time.

Its a simple case of we don't agree with your opinion. Or aren't we allowed to do that?

personally i am dissappointed at the amount of money i face forking out for one guest

That is your choice. You don't have to fork out the money for 1 guest if you don't feel its worth your while. You cannot please everyone. I personally am well excited at the prospect of meeting Dirk Benedict and Dwight Schultz as I missed them first time round and think its worth the journey. I have no idea who Kane Hodder is and don't care. As for Sportsmania being integrated into the show. Great idea. A football stadium is a perfect venue for this kind of thing. Plus Roger Hunt is going so another reason for me to go :YAHOO:

Edited by Grazer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the people who actually pay for these shows should be allowed to express their opinions without being shot down by the pc brigade all the time.

Its a simple case of we don't agree with your opinion. Or aren't we allowed to do that?

personally i am dissappointed at the amount of money i face forking out for one guest

That is your choice. You don't have to fork out the money for 1 guest if you don't feel its worth your while. You cannot please everyone. I personally am well excited at the prospect of meeting Dirk Benedict and Dwight Schultz as I missed them first time round and think its worth the journey. I have no idea who Kane Hodder is and don't care. As for Sportsmania being integrated into the show. Great idea. A football stadium is a perfect venue for this kind of thing. Plus Roger Hunt is going so another reason for me to go :YAHOO:

well thats nice for you.

I was just expressing 'my' opinion and last time i checked we were still allowed to do that here, even if the clique disagrees. you can express your opinion too, without jumping on the bandwagon to try and validate yourself.

well thats nice for you.

I was just expressing 'my' opinion and last time i checked we were still allowed to do that here, even if the clique disagrees. you can express your opinion too, without jumping on the bandwagon to try and validate yourself.

That's just it. No one is saying you're not allowed to express your opinion. Disagreeing with an opinion is not the same as saying you can't express it.

I have no intention or desire to jump on a bandwagon. If I have an opinion, I will express it and I don't really care if anyone agrees with me. But if people don't agree with me, I don't take it as them saying I can't express my opinion.

• Moderators

Discussion is fine on here, but there's no need to start referring to 'cliques', 'bandwagons' and 'pc brigade' etc. I'm sure if someone agreed with a negative opinion, you wouldn't suddenly say "shut up, this isn't a bandwagon!" ..

As much as people should be allowed to post a negative opinion on here, they've got to expect others to reply as it's a public forum. If you want to simply state a criticism without reply, then emailing Showmasters is probably your best bet.

Nobody has said that you can't express an opinion. All they asked you to do was to do it in a polite manner which wouldn't antagonise or annoy other posters.

Discussion is fine on here, but there's no need to start referring to 'cliques', 'bandwagons' and 'pc brigade' etc. I'm sure if someone agreed with a negative opinion, you wouldn't suddenly say "shut up, this isn't a bandwagon!" ..

As much as people should be allowed to post a negative opinion on here, they've got to expect others to reply as it's a public forum. If you want to simply state a criticism without reply, then emailing Showmasters is probably your best bet.

i'm afraid you are making the wrong argument, i never said people couldnt reply to my negative thoughts on this particular event. people are just making up arguments now that have nothing to do with what i wrote.

they can reply all they want but if i'm attacked for stating my opinion then i will defend my right to state that opinion.

i will restate my original opinion in words hopefully people can understand.

this topic should never have been made, it is inviting discontent to say there will be big name guests at this show.

PERSONALLY, I am disappointed with the line up so far. so far there is one guest i would really like to meet, it seems to be a bit heavy on the dr who guests and i think sportsmania should be taken out to pasture. that is my opinion.

i'm afraid you are making the wrong argument, i never said people couldnt reply to my negative thoughts on this particular event. people are just making up arguments now that have nothing to do with what i wrote.

they can reply all they want but if i'm attacked for stating my opinion then i will defend my right to state that opinion.

this topic should never have been made, it is inviting discontent to say there will be big name guests at this show.

PERSONALLY, I am disappointed with the line up so far. so far there is one guest i would really like to meet, it seems to be a bit heavy on the dr who guests and i think sportsmania should be taken out to pasture. that is my opinion.

I feel your pain

Apart from the Barrowman guesting MK show and the first Mid show which had a good selection personally i feel this year has not been good with the line ups......that is taking it from a neutral view and not one of someone who doesnt like Buffy,Heroes etc.

I wonder is the UK SF/Fantasy convention scene dying?

There has def been a slide in public interest leading to cancellations of events,the calibre of guests here and elswhere(Dreyfus,Hurt,Macdowall excluded) and the addition of sporting guests at shows is a worrying trend.

I forsee the amount of homegrown retired sports guests available and up for appearing out there overtaking those stars of tv and movies soon.

Edited by vintageSW77

I won't have a problem if more sports stars do start doing signings and other similar events. Intergrating it into movie, TV signings might give the events a wider appeal. Just my opinion

I just see a time when intergrated SM shows become the norm.

The shows will start raking more in ticket cash due to the current rise in popularity of sporting memorabillia leading to more sports stars than tv and film stars appearing due to the availability of homegrown retired sports stars.

It happened at the certain other show that takes place in mid

there was way more sports types than usual last time.

Edited by vintageSW77

I couldn't give a stuff about any of the following : -

• Sportsmania
  • Astronauts
  • Anime
  • Twilight
  • Torchwood
  • Horror movies
  • Soap Stars
  • Heroes
  • 1960s Doctor Who stunt doubles

and the list goes on. But I don't denigrate those who are interested in those things. My issue is about describing events that you don't personally find interesting are 'lame'. Again, pointless negativity, completely unproductive.

Edited by MikeDonovan

I couldn't give a stuff about any of the following : -

• Sportsmania
  • Astronauts
  • Anime
  • Twilight
  • Torchwood
  • Horror movies
  • Soap Stars
  • Heroes
  • 1960s Doctor Who stunt doubles

and the list goes on. But I don't denigrate those who are interested in those things. My issue is about describing events that you don't personally find interesting are 'lame'. Again, pointless negativity, completely unproductive.

and? i think mixing the two shows is a bad idea. so what? how is that unproductive? its called giving feedback, just because it doesnt show support for the idea doesnt make it a negative thing.

did my post say that everyone who likes dr.who is a tool? no, so i wasnt denigrating anyone so stop just making up stuff. i was merely stating my opinion, at the end of the day i would like to go to the event so would obviously like them to maybe cater to other loyal fans other than dr.who ones.

if my words offended you maybe you should have someone censor posts to your own personal taste.

stop making a big deal out of it. maybe i could have worded it differently but i didnt so get over it.

I would love to see more sports stars there. Some more Rugby players but that's just me. As for the number of Doctor Who guests, yes there are a few but there's other guests from other shows (Star Trek, Star Wars, A-Team, Friday 13th, Jaws) and Doctor Who is not the only show they've been in (though admittedly it's their most prominent)

Edited by Grazer

I forsee the amount of homegrown retired sports guests available and up for appearing out there overtaking those stars of tv and movies soon.

Kinda like how the Reading Festival used to be a rock festival. Or how Blockbuster used to deal in just movies and games (before they brought in pizzas and booze). Or how Empire Magazine used to be only movies. Or even how Die Hard used to be an R rated franchise.

New irrelevant things are added to try and catch a wider audience, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. If the addition of Sportsmania doesnt get in the way of film guests then I dont mind but there's always gonna be a limit as to how many film guests SM can get anyway.

Kinda like how the Reading Festival used to be a rock festival. Or how Blockbuster used to deal in just movies and games (before they brought in pizzas and booze). Or how Empire Magazine used to be only movies. Or even how Die Hard used to be an R rated franchise.

New irrelevant things are added to try and catch a wider audience, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. If the addition of Sportsmania doesnt get in the way of film guests then I dont mind but there's always gonna be a limit as to how many film guests SM can get anyway.

the tv and games stuff in Empire is pretty much 2 pages and pretty much genre related

Reading/Leeds is pretty much all alternative music in dif guises

whereas there is a massive difference between sport and sci fi /horror (excluding Rollerball,Running man and Death Race 2000 but i doubt Frankenstein and his wheels will ever do a gig)

itll take over youll see

look what happened at the A.N other midlands show

Edited by vintageSW77

the tv and games stuff in Empire is pretty much 2 pages and genre related

Reading-- its all alternative in dif guises

there is a massive difference betwen sport and sci fi /horror

itll take over look what happened at the other midlands show

Depends what you called "rock" really. I've been to Reading once - and that was because Iron Maiden were headlining. Would never go back there - just not my sort of setup. I must have been about twice the age of the average punter - Maiden went right over their heads :D Donnigton is more my cup of tea.

As for Die Hard - don't get me started - talk about how to completely screw up a franchise. What the hell is wrong with an R Rating? Die Hard wasn't for kids - it never was. And as for that Jet scene, it was sh*te incarnate.

Yippee Kay Aye Mother [GUNSHOT] :P !

People say that the newer show we run, we never put the big guests in to them, well this year we are going to

SO BE PREPARED THIS WILL BE AN AMAZING EVENT :P:dance:

At this time of year we can get some guests that we cannot get any other time of year so watch this space

as soon as we have guests book we will put them up but its looking good :lol:

so keep a note of the date

see you there

JASON :WAVE:

Any further news on the big name guests. Richard Dreyfuss was added beforehand - are there any more to come?

Edited by Niallsdad

i do see every1s point on this subject,. we all love and hate different tv shows, and there will never be ashow that suits every1 of us that attend. im not a dr who fan so im not interested in all the who actors attending, but there are at least 4 ppl sop far i want to meet.

but ido agree and hope they ahad afew more ppl closer to the day. but again the 'big' guests differ frm people to people,. whos a big guest for me may not be to some1 else.

the only good thing about not having lots of big names is that we save more money with getting less autos lol, but wheres the fun in that hehe. i love goin tothese events and going home at the end of the day with a folder of autographs and some items bought off stalls.