Unwritten Rules Of Public Buses

Jonesy

Don't do buses, I don't fit :uhoh:

Buses are hopeless for tall people, no leg room whatsoever :P

It used to bug me when school kids thought it was really funny to press the bell more than once.... yes thats hilarious : |

And yet it is frowned upon to throw the school kids off of the bus whilst it is in motion down a busy high street...not fair!!

:P

Well I agree with everyone so far, also bus drivers never seem to be able to drive very well, also what annoys me with buses around my area, is when bus drivers just drive past stops that they're meant to stop at, or see someone running towards the bus stop and drive off anyway. Oh and on some bus routes the bus stops at a bus stop, and then waits there for a a few minutes which is annoying.

As for unwritten rules:

1. If you get to the bus stop early the bus WILL be late.

2. The ONLY time a bus will ever be early or on time is when you're a bit late and you end up missing it :P

Well I agree with everyone so far, also bus drivers never seem to be able to drive very well, also what annoys me with buses around my area, is when bus drivers just drive past stops that they're meant to stop at, or see someone running towards the bus stop and drive off anyway. Oh and on some bus routes the bus stops at a bus stop, and then waits there for a a few minutes which is annoying.

As for unwritten rules:

1. If you get to the bus stop early the bus WILL be late.

2. The ONLY time a bus will ever be early or on time is when you're a bit late and you end up missing it :YAHOO:

Those last 2 are sooooo true!

And i also hate it when a bus driver can blatently see you running for the bus, but drives off anyway!

The fact that if you are late and you start running for it, the bus driver will see you and drive off immediately even if they still have time to spare, thus I don't EVER run for a bus anymore.

85% of First bus drivers are Polish. Now, no offence to you if you are Polish because I work with a Polish woman and love her to bits, but Polish bus drivers NEVER know where any of the stops are. I do love them though because they don't really know our money and always give me too much change. haha.

Tramps always get on and if the bus is empty but you, they will sit next to you.

In the summer, when someone has shut all the windows, there will be a wasp on the bus and it will bug the hell out of you for the whole journey.

All the old people in my area know each other so every single bus journey is full of conversations like this:

Old woman : Hello Vera hows the dog?

Old woman : Ohh fine thanks Pat hows Frank?

Old woman : He's fine. Aweful weather isn't it?

Old woman : aahh.

*next old person gets old*

Old Person : VERA! Hows the dog?!

and so on . . .

School kids who feel the need to sit at the back of the bus and talk loudly about their "sex lives".

School kids in general.

Old people in general.

Tramps in general.

85% of First bus drivers are Polish.

We have First Bus in Bristol as well, so I spoke to my Sister who's one of the higher ups in the region and she said that the Bath region of First Bus does have the vast majority of drivers being Polish - she said about 3/4's; with Bristol having just over half of it's drivers being Polish as well. She said that they are some of the most reliable they have ever had. Mind you, they certainly know where the accelerator pedal is... :YAHOO:

Defo chavs on the top deck at the back shouting "eye eye savaloy" at every opportunity.

And the usual scruffs who have just splashed on eu de urine all over themselves.

And finally somebody striking up a coversation and you dying to ask "have you been sucking a turd" so bad is their breath.

Some bus drivers have the tendancy to step on the accelerator when your going over the bumps so that your nearly get launched into outerspace.

Luckily i dont really have the rude problem.

If there is an old lady coming on then i will give up my seat.

I do agree with everyone about the chav thing. There is always teenagers at the back of the buses that i get on that have there music up loud.

Also when a couple of 11-12 year olds kept throwing food stuff at me, i told them to stop but they didnt stop.

The bus driver saw and told them to get off....they eventually got thrown off the bus.

somone changed there babys poopfilled nappy on the bus the other day then left it on the seat when they got off i was going to be sick! the smell was awfull..

and on the way back from lfcc i was sat at a table seat next to a lovely lady who had to suffer for at least half a hour wilest the bozo oposet us took out his laptop spread it all over the table then took his shoes off and put his feet up between me and the woman next to me...( to make matters worse he had been to a festival of some sort and he stunk... and who takes a laptop to a festival honestly what a prat)

Some bus drivers have the tendancy to step on the accelerator when your going over the bumps so that your nearly get launched into outerspace.

If I'm with a friend on the bus and sitting next to them, I like to exaggerate the affect the road bumps have on me and slam myself into them :lol: lol

If I'm with a friend on the bus and sitting next to them, I like to exaggerate the affect the road bumps have on me and slam myself into them :lol: lol

lol. All my freinds live to far away for me to do that!.

You end up nearly banging into the roof as you jump a foot in the air from getting launched.

It doesnt half hurt your bottom thought.

• 7 months later...

This thread seemed to have died but I've thought of some more annoying things that happen on buses...

1. People always sit in 'my' seat (the one with most legroom, my legs don't fit in most seats lol) when they don't need that legroom! Annoying, I actually let a little old lady onto the bus before I got on and she took my seat :D

2. Bus drivers stopping in the middle of the road to talk to another driver of a passing bus!!!

3. Not letting people on if they're late (but the bus is still at the bus stop), a few days ago there was a huge traffic jam in front of the bus which was leaving my university, there were 3 or 4 people who ran to the bus before it left (not that it could go anywhere) and the bus driver shouted "I've pulled away from the bus stop, I'm not letting you on", he was there for at least 10 minutes later than that, plus surely he's benefit more from letting them on anyway? The bus company would get more money. A week or two before that something similar happened but after being shouted at by one of the passengers he eventually let them on.

This thread seemed to have died but I've thought of some more annoying things that happen on buses...

3. Not letting people on if they're late (but the bus is still at the bus stop), a few days ago there was a huge traffic jam in front of the bus which was leaving my university, there were 3 or 4 people who ran to the bus before it left (not that it could go anywhere) and the bus driver shouted "I've pulled away from the bus stop, I'm not letting you on", he was there for at least 10 minutes later than that, plus surely he's benefit more from letting them on anyway? The bus company would get more money. A week or two before that something similar happened but after being shouted at by one of the passengers he eventually let them on.

I see this a lot, and have been on the wrong end of it once or twice. However, I did ask one driver aboutit one day and he said that the Health & Saefty rules state that they cannot let more passengers on or off if the bus has started topull away from the stop. Apparently, there have been a rising number of accidents where people have fell into the gap between bus and pavement; with a few being very serious in that they have gone under the front wheel...

Another annoying thing is when someone sits next to you, they either sit on you in the vain attempt to get more of the seat...or, they don't bother to move their bag and hit you with that.

Ah, this one is relevant to Bristol as far as I know - not checked other bus companies/areas.

First Bus now give change tickets that can only be cashed in at the Bus Station bus shop. Originally you could use it to buy a ticket on the bus, but amazingly a local criminal gang came up with a way of counterfitting tickets to get thousands from First Bus...

So, despite the numerous signs etc etc, you always get someone who kicks off over it after getting on a bus for a £1.50 journey and paying for it with a £20 note....

I see this a lot, and have been on the wrong end of it once or twice. However, I did ask one driver aboutit one day and he said that the Health & Saefty rules state that they cannot let more passengers on or off if the bus has started topull away from the stop. Apparently, there have been a rising number of accidents where people have fell into the gap between bus and pavement; with a few being very serious in that they have gone under the front wheel...

In one of the cases I mentioned though this really wasn't an issue, although the bus had pulled away from the pavement the bus wasn't going anywhere, it was in the middle of the road (inside my university) which was full of traffic which wasn't moving (there were/are roadworks at the end of the road and it was a busy time/day) and the bus was a couple of metres away from the pavement so I doubt any kind of accident could happen. Also the bus drivers just seem to be *insert insulting name here* a lot of the time, not all of them of course but the drivers on the two occasions I mentioned acted like umm bumholes :D

I know in Bristol that some drivers have had disciplinary action for breaking the health & safety rules as a family member works for the bus company quite high up. I think it is a case of not wanting to be sued or prosecuted for negligance.

Another Unwritten Rule:

If someone takes ages with the Bus Driver because they have no change for a big note, the person who has caused the delay is the first to moan of the bus is then running late liek they have had no input in that delay.

when i was a kind i took guitar lessons at school. on the way to school one day i put one foot on the bus and the driver started moving so i stepped off again, he then shouted at me "are you gettng on or what" to which i replied "if you would stop the bus yes". i got to the bus stop near the school again i put one foot off the bus and the driver stared moving again, i went flying into the bus stop and nearly smashed my guitar. i was not a happy bunny

sarah

when i was a kind i took guitar lessons at school. on the way to school one day i put one foot on the bus and the driver started moving so i stepped off again, he then shouted at me "are you gettng on or what" to which i replied "if you would stop the bus yes". i got to the bus stop near the school again i put one foot off the bus and the driver stared moving again, i went flying into the bus stop and nearly smashed my guitar. i was not a happy bunny

sarah

Wow I know bus drivers aren't always the friendliest of people but that's just evil :D

i got one, this was a few years back now but it still makes me laugh to this day

me and my other half where coming home from tesco one night, but the the bus from tesco to our house goes through a roughish area of glasgow, so you can imagine the types of ppl you get on it

so we get on and there are a group of Neds (chavs but worse) near the front, another group of them at the middle, two umpa lumpa girls up the back seat with the phones blasting out techno, and a drunk junkie sitting the other side of the back seat

so the techno is blaring, one of the guys from the group near the front say's (i'm translating this into english instead of Glaswegian) "oh, i'm going to get so drunk tonight"

one from the group in the middle shouts "no i'm going to get so drunk tonight"

they then have a shouting match between the two groups over who is going to get more drunk, i thought they may actually start fighting

and all the while this is going on the junkie up the back is sitting happy as larry, clapping his hands and singing "i'm on the bus, i'm on the bus, i'm on the bus i'm on the bus, i'm on the bus, i'm on the bus"

strangest bus ride ever

there is that and another thing alot of drivers do in glasgow is there is one area that has alot of asylum seekers and there are always lots of them waiting to get on the bus and alot of drivers don't stop or if its a woman with a pram don't let them on even though there is space

• 3 weeks later...

I get the bus, and the same bus driver guy keeps trying to charge me £1.40 instead of £1.20 ... I can see the correct amount on the screen, but he keeps trying to charge me it! It's really bugging me!!!:lol:

Is he British? I only ask because there are always two numbers I get confused in other languages (weirdly, eight and six in both Russian and Turkish), so maybe it's a '40, no I mean 20' thing.

Or maybe he's just ripping you off :D

I get the bus, and the same bus driver guy keeps trying to charge me £1.40 instead of £1.20 ... I can see the correct amount on the screen, but he keeps trying to charge me it! It's really bugging me!!!:D

Is he British? I only ask because there are always two numbers I get confused in other languages (weirdly, eight and six in both Russian and Turkish), so maybe it's a '40, no I mean 20' thing.

Or maybe he's just ripping you off ;)

nope he is British.. I am going with the ripping me off thing!

• 2 weeks later...

The local bus route where i live has always provided me with a question

Why do bus drivers attack speed bumps as though they have a personal vendetta against them?

Last week the driver hit them so hard my teeth rattled so hard i thought they had come loose (I don`t have false teeth by the way, that was the point)