Signing their character's name....

MikeDonovan

Personally I prefer they don't - and I am planning to ask everyone that they just sign the item (whatever it is) - do you think this is frowned upon? Would I be seen as a bit arsey? Or is this is a quite reasonable and normal request?

Anyone have any views?

I dont mind at all, I like them to write as much as they can on my items. Sometimes I ask them to date it. However, I think Carrie Fisher and Carl Weathers dont write their characters names because they dont want to be tied to that one character or something.

Its ceratinly looks better though on group sig posters and I think guests probably know that. I never ask them to do it though, they just do it themselves.

Edited by nicky

I have small reprints of each Alien movie poster. Yaphet Kotto and Veronica Cartwright were the first to sign them at Wembley and they both put their character name. Since then, I have tried to get every cast member to add the character name - but then all four sets of characters are known by surnames only, so it's kinda integral to the franchise.

Jeanette Goldstein

Lance Henriksen

Michael Biehn

William Hope

Al Matthews

Paul McGann

Ralph Brown

Danny Webb

Ron Perlman

Some have readily signed their character name, others have needed prompted. As time goes on, I am increasingly worried that someone will refuse or I will forget to ask. John Hurt, Carrie Henn, Charles Dance, Pete Postlethwaite and Brad Dourif will hopefully all be welcome additions.

I have 20 odd sigs on a Bond poster though, and some have added character names by choice. Here, it's a bit more free flowing and I am not asd bothered ....

It doesn't bother me with the usual 8x10 photos but if I am having one of my multi signs done I prefer them to put character name just so I can relate the signature to the character so that I don't loose track of who I have got and haven't

I dont mind at all, I like them to write as much as they can on my items. Sometimes I ask them to date it. However, I think Carrie Fisher and Carl Weathers dont write their characters names because they dont want to be tied to that one character or something.

Its ceratinly looks better though on group sig posters and I think guests probably know that. I never ask them to do it though, they just do it themselves.

Nicky - in your opinion, do you think it would be bad form if I asked them not do?

Nicky - in your opinion, do you think it would be bad form if I asked them not do?

No, not at all - it's your item and your money.

I've done worse with guests - I told George Romero to NOT write "Stay Scared!" on my LOTD print. He said, "But then what can I write???" :unsure: I told him to write the first thing that comes to mind when he thinks about the making of the film. He wrote: "Nicky, we'll never pull this fu_cking thing off!".

I've done worse with guests - I told George Romero to NOT write "Stay Scared!" on my LOTD print. He said, "But then what can I write???" :unsure: I told him to write the first thing that comes to mind when he thinks about the making of the film. He wrote: "Nicky, we'll never pull this fu_cking thing off!".

thats fantastic.

No, not at all - it's your item and your money.

Brilliant!!!!

I've been to quite a lot of Showmasters events but never got many autographs.

I have worked for the opposition in the past and tended to get photos from the people I had a laugh with, rather than those I was a fan of. It was always more a memento of the weekend and people would write more personal things on the pics.

At this con however I've got a pretty big shopping list, and the big names I'll ask for just sigs, not dedications...hoping ebay will still be running in 30 years time.

Sorry, just realised we're talking about character names, not dedications.

I don't like them on 8 by 10s, on bigger things yes if they're multi-signed. You need to know who is who but you don't want things too cluttered - and also you sometimes don't know who else will end up signing it. I'm dreading the day my LOTR print is covered with various Sharpie Scribbles and Ian McKellan is announced (I can dream)

I never ask anyone to add a character name, but if they do I don't mind after all anything a person writes is part of their autograph. Warwick Davis added character names on the 2 photos I got signed by him, but on the picture of Wicket he wrote his character name as Willow so that makes that more unique.

On certain things like multi signed posters I prefer them to add their character name but I've never asked anyone to. I know some people can be a bit precious about it and I'd rather avoid a scene!

The only real exception to that is Astronauts, if they don't do it straight off I usually ask them to add the mission name the photo relates to. Thats more of a consistency thing though.

One example I got Michelle Forbes to sign my 24 poster and asked her to write her character name, but she could not even remember it. Good tip if you want anything more then a autograph is to right it down on a postit note and give it to them, then you know it will be right.

I'm not bothered either way really, I mean, it's not like it'll mean any more or less. It's a nice little extra for some of them. I wouldn't ever ask them to do it though, but I wouldn't stop them either.

• Showmasters Admin

I usually ask them to. But that's because I almost always get "things" signed not photos. So sometimes a year on it can be hard to work out who's sig each one is. So a well written charactor name can help lots :P

I once asked Brent Spiner to add Data to a ST-NG DVD boxset he had just signed, he said "Why? I think everyone will know who I played!" He did it anyway, but it wasn't the nicest of moments for me.

Mike - As Nicky says it's your item, as long as you ask nicely there will rarely be any issue.

I always ask for the character name. Some of the pics available at the desk to choose from have the programms name on the bottom e.g. Stargate, lost. but only on some and therefore, I have the charcters name. I prefer the pics with the shows name on the bottom, what do you reading this think. :rolleyes:

Sometimes some of the photos available are not the best in the world to choose, to have signed and having queued a while I select from the table.( I know I could go off get one from the stalls and come back but I dont...).

Anyhow, I have suggested some time back on another show organisers forum, that prior to an event, a selection of photos (the maximum official photos available) of each guest that could be signed is placed on a polling thread. Then us the paying public, can choose what we would like best to be signed, then the top couple of pics selected can then be printed for the event. This way the number of the most popular photo can be printed in larger numbers, and the smaller amount for the least picked, for I have seen on several occasions where there is a large pile of one pic (rubbish pic) and hardly any of another (great pic)

What do you think?????? :WINCE:

I don't mind when they add their character name, personally I wouldn't ask them not to because in a way you are assuming that they are going to add a character name. They might be like I wasn't going to anyway lol.

when i meet superman people i like just having their name nothing else, because i have a superman poster and i want to eventually fill it with superman autographs so if people have written my name on it or dedications then i wont have as much room on the poster

I always try and get the characters name written on my 10x8s and always ask (if it is possible) to write a quote that THAT particular person said and even a bigger bonus is if the actual photo is from that actual scene. EXAMPLE Robert Davi "its nothing personal its purely buisness" / Vernon Wells "put the knife away and shut your mouth" BUT he did sign it as Matrix NOT Bennett. and a personal fav of mine Brandon Routh "ill always be around" At the end of the day its up to you but on a limited time scenario MK AND John Barrowman its a case of just get the auto ANYTHING ELSE IS A BONUS. I really count my blessings though at the end of the day as i have had only one bad sorry rephrase that unpleasant experience. I asked the actor who played a certain gold droid from a certain saga of films is it possible to write "did you hear that?" and the reply was a resounding NO!! they say you should NEVER meet your heroes and in that case that was a definite example of that. Dont get me wrong i am so glad that i did meet him to finally get his auto on the five items that i wanted signed but it does take the edge off the whole experience. But on the other hand the likes of Kristanna Loken :wub: kept me talking and it was perfect example of how the experience should be :angel: