Dr Who - WHAT AN EPISODE!

Kiwi 7

• Moderators

They can always find ways round these things .. they solved everything in the finale, I'm sure they can work out something with Donna if they felt like it :P

I've been supporting Wilf for a while now. He definitely needs to be in it again.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gota admit, that was a real dilema for Rose... anyone on here who is in a relationship.... if there were basically 2 of your partners standing there, how could you chose one?? And I know she snogged the face off one cos he said he loved her, but still... :firedevil:

J

Did you see how, after snogging Doctor 2, she went to run after the Doctor?! She can't have them both... lol

i thought that too, leave one for the rest of us!!!

i thought it was a fantastic episode, apart from it looking like martha joins torchwood. no offence to the actress i just cant STAND the character. shes so wrong for torchwood, shes more of a kids tv character, shed work better with sarah jane and that mister smith

• Showmasters Admin

Overall I loved both the episodes. The acting was spot on, the German Daleks were a nice surprise, and the humour/fear mix was just right.

The only problem (apart from the Rose/second Doctor happily ever after ending... don't get me started on that!) was that the ending still left me a bit flat. I think someone really needed to die, it doesn't really matter who, but a big, noble, self-sacrificing death would have made the ending so much more satisfying!

I mean, the Daleks are supposed to be the ultimate force of evil and when the Doctor last faced them (as an army, not just a couple of rogue Daleks) he had to destroy his entire planet and wipe out his entire species to get rid of them. And yet this time they were defeated by half a dozen amateur space-rangers with a couple of big guns! And apart from a handful of prisoners everybody survived! I mean, everybody!

It's still my favourite end of season episode since Doomsday. I guess we can't have perfection every time!

Andrea

The second Doctor and Rose going off was far from a happy ending. The Doctor virtually begged her to save him (No.2) as she had once saved him. After kissing No.2 she ran after No.1. What is happy about that? You have The Doctor alone again having to give up the woman he obviously loves; and you have Rose stuck with someone who looks, acts, sounds and knows everything like The Doctor..yet isn't him. It would be like kissing the twin of your girlfriend/boyfriend and thinking about your girlfriend/boyfriend.

The fact that Donna allowed The Doctor to take away everything she had experienced with him was a hug sacrifice. Death isn't always the way for a noble - pardon the pun - sacrifice. You also had the sacrifice made by Donna's Mother and Grandfather who couldn't talk to her about any of it otherwise it would kill her. They made a sacrifice.

As regards the half dozen amateur space rangers...

1. Martha Jones has obviously learnt alot from the Doctor and her time in UNIT.

2. Rose Tyler has learnt alot from her time with The Doctor ann with UNIT in the alternate reality.

3. Captain Jack runs Torchwood. Enough knowledge there.

4. The Doctor - duh!

5. The Doctor No.2 - duh again!

6. The Doctor/Donna - has all of The Doctor's knowledge.

7. Micky has obviously learnt alot from his time in the alternate universe.

8. Sarah Jane - again, another companion with tremendous knowledge.

9. Rose's Mum - well, she was told not to touch anything :D

I think that they had enough there to defeat the Dalek Empire, especially in the modern day Who which has a much more detailed emphasis on technology. The ramshackle sets have gone. Also, the more you face an opponent, the more you learn. Also, Caan turned on the Daleks.

I must agree that the German Daleks were excellent. Watching Nick Briggs do it at the read throgh table was hilarious.

Anyway, excellent end to an excellent series, and I actually felt that the comic face off between Doctor No.2 and DoctorDonna was just right.

Edited by Abyss

• Showmasters Admin

Oh, the Doctor/Donna synergy was just perfect, as were the Doctor/Rose and Doctor/Davros combinations! And overall I really enjoyed the episode.

It's just that I remember the death of Adric way back in the 80's (or was it the late 70's?) and what a HUGE impact that made on me. He stayed behind and sacrificed himself in order to destroy the Cybermen and give the Doctor and other companions a chance to escape. And something along those lines would have worked really well in this instance, IMHO.

Ok, I was a bit harsh on Martha, Rose, Jack et al. It's just that the whole of Time Lord kind couldn't stop the Dalek empire last time (just imagine hundreds of Doctors all fighting together!) and yet less than 10 people were able to do it without any fatalities. (However, I have just remembered that Harriet Jones is killed (and what a great death that was!) so I was wrong about the no fatalities).

Just imagine this scenario. At the end of the episode they are all in a real desperate situation and the Doctor realises he CAN'T fix it. People he loves are in mortal danger and he just can't save them or the Earth. Or even worse, he can save the Earth OR save all his friends. Now there's a chance for Tennant to act his socks off! He's being emotionally torn apart by the choice and just can't make the final decision. Then one of his friends steps forward and makes the decision for him, staying behind or throwing themselves at some machine or other, killing themselves but giving everyone else a chance to escape AND save the Earth. And if it had been the second Doctor who made the sacrifice that would have given him a chance to redeem himself after the first Doctor had set him up to be too violent (similar to the Doctor's daughter) and given them another way to deal with the problem of 2 Doctors running around the universe!

But that's enough of my ramblings. I still really enjoyed this season's ending and I can't wait to see what Stephen Moffatt will do with it!

Andrea

Having two Doctors leaves it open to future storylines. And with Rose alive, it means Billie Piper could return after having her baby.

The days of big sacrifices like you mentioned are long gone in my opinion. TV, Films, Sport etc are controlled too much by money. With more people alove means more money spinners. Sad, but true.

As regards your idea about the Earth or His Friends..you had better TM that as BBC might nick it.. :blush:

A.

Really enjoyed the finale, watched it in Trafalgar Square on the big screen the sound wasn't brilliant but you got the gist on the ep, re watched it today and it was even better.

I felt sorry for Donna she didn't even get to remember her first adventure with The Doctor, at least Jamie and Zoe got to have the one memory. The scene with them all in the Tardis was electric even the bit when the Doctor doesn't trust Jackie at the controls. Hopefully Rose having her own Doctor will keep her in the alternative universe and on that point of course the Human part would be dominant he's was already half human. It looks like Martha and Mickey are destined for Torchwood to replace Owen and Tosh, I think that will definately affect the dynamics of the team. Oh and the Doctor being back on his own makes it easy to either pick up the River Song thread for TV or leave it to the Audio or Novelisation department.

And have we seen the last of Davros and the Daleks.......................of course not, Dalek Khan was still about one more temporal shift and they are both saved to start again..........and Cybermen for Christmas. Did they slip through at the same time as Rose, Jackie and Mickey or are there holes The Doctor is unaware of?

Additionally to the bits above that I had put in the other thread:

I was unsure of Donna at the beginning of the season but she has grown and developed over the season well and to have her stripped back to the Pre Doctor Donna, hurts the Doctor just as much if not more that Donna as she will never remember him, yet he will rememeber but never be able to see her again, I also think this is painful for the veiwer in relation to the lost potential.

Seeing all the companions together helped me also re evaluate them as companions and if one were to truely die in the episode I personally would have gone for Rose as to be honest I found her the most annoying in the finale and probably the most two dimensional. Martha since leaving the Doctor has become a lot more rounded and confident as a person and is probably my favorite companion of the new series, Sarah Jane has grown a thicker more confident skin (aside from the scene in the car), Mickey and Jackie seemed to be more comfortable in their roles too, Jackie's caring and vunerabilty wasn't annoying, Mickey was more self assured and confident which I think will work well and develop more in Torchwood. Jack was closer to the Torchwood rather than Doctor Who Jack and in this type of episode that portrayal of him works due to shared screen time. As for the other 10th Doctor due to the hand re instating him and enhancing Donna does this use one of the Doctors regenerations or not? I guess the powers that be will decide that when they get to actor 12/13.

Edited by Harry

I guess the powers that be will decide that when they get to actor 12/13.

...Even then they won't just say its the last regeneration, they'll find some excuse to keep the doctor going :blush:

The second Doctor and Rose going off was far from a happy ending. The Doctor virtually begged her to save him (No.2) as she had once saved him. After kissing No.2 she ran after No.1. What is happy about that? You have The Doctor alone again having to give up the woman he obviously loves; and you have Rose stuck with someone who looks, acts, sounds and knows everything like The Doctor..yet isn't him. It would be like kissing the twin of your girlfriend/boyfriend and thinking about your girlfriend/boyfriend.

The fact that Donna allowed The Doctor to take away everything she had experienced with him was a hug sacrifice. Death isn't always the way for a noble - pardon the pun - sacrifice. You also had the sacrifice made by Donna's Mother and Grandfather who couldn't talk to her about any of it otherwise it would kill her. They made a sacrifice.

2. Rose Tyler has learnt alot from her time with The Doctor ann with UNIT in the alternate reality.

4. The Doctor - duh!

9. Rose's Mum - well, she was told not to touch anything :YAHOO:

I must agree that the German Daleks were excellent. Watching Nick Briggs do it at the read throgh table was hilarious.

Anyway, excellent end to an excellent series, and I actually felt that the comic face off between Doctor No.2 and DoctorDonna was just right.

I think the point was that if the whole race of Timelords, with all their technology* could not defeat the Daleks in the time wars, how could this small group do it now?

*In the episode Turn Left, UNIT only managed to figure out the surface technology of the Tardis. If they could figure out all the technology they would have built a Tardis, or number off, for themselfs. And the Tardis is not the only one peice of Timelord tecnology. Just think of all the weapons the Timelords could have had (for example Temporal bombs).

I think that they had enough there to defeat the Dalek Empire, especially in the modern day Who which has a much more detailed emphasis on technology. The ramshackle sets have gone. Also, the more you face an opponent, the more you learn. Also, Caan turned on the Daleks.

What has BBC TV production values between the old and new series got to do with it?:P

Edited by Dinobore

I guess the powers that be will decide that when they get to actor 12/13.

...Even then they won't just say its the last regeneration, they'll find some excuse to keep the doctor going :P

If Dalek Caan managed to get into the Time Wars, on or by the Doctors last regeneration he can, and the Timelords could grant him more regenerations (if I remember correctly they did it for the Master, why not the Doctor?) that would be a way around it.

There is even a possibility that the time wars will be temporally unlocked. In Journeys End Torchwood had a Temporal lock of its base, with a way to turn off the lock, why not the same for Time wars?

Edited by Dinobore

4. The Doctor - duh!

9. Rose's Mum - well, she was told not to touch anything :YAHOO:

I think the point was that if the whole race of Timelords, with all their technology* could not defeat the Daleks in the time wars, how could this small group do it now?

*In the episode Turn Left, UNIT only managed to figure out the surface technology of the Tardis. If they could figure out all the technology they would have built a Tardis, or number off, for themselfs. And the Tardis is not the only one peice of Timelord tecnology. Just think of all the weapons the Timelords could have had (for example Temporal bombs).

What has BBC TV production values between the old and new series got to do with it?:headscratch:

In modern day television and film, it is very rare for the past to be taken into account when rebooting a series like Doctor Who for example. If sacrificing a few little bits of accuracy means something looks more modern or better for the viewing public, then to hell with the past. That is what BBC Production values and forgetting that the Daleks were a kicka*se empire has to do with it...in my opinion that is.

Edited by Abyss

2 david tennants. 1 of them nekid. what more could you want

:firedevil::borg:

Unlimited David Tennants, all of them nekkid??

:(:o

oh no, i dont think i could handle more than two at a time

I dunno....Lots of Berocca & Red Bull and I'd give it a whirl :WAVE:

I was going to put a really 'intelligent' sounding post in here about how sorry I was for Donna's fate and how I really warmed to her character during this season......

....but now I've read the previous postings I am being distracted by my imagination working overtime

nekkid....... :wacko::WINCE:

Edited by sadfan99

:firedevil::YAHOO:

:blink::YAHOO:

I dunno....Lots of Berocca & Red Bull and I'd give it a whirl :D

Not only has David tennant ousted me from number 1 in my lady's list of affections, he has now ousted me from number 2 aswell it seems LOL

:firedevil::P

:YAHOO::YAHOO:

I dunno....Lots of Berocca & Red Bull and I'd give it a whirl :D

what's berroca? i thought that was a constipation remedy?

They can say he runs on Duracel batteries, meaning he has 6 times as regenrations as any other Doctor.

Lol!

:D:YAHOO:

OMG. I'm going weak at the thought :wub:

:D:YAHOO:

I dunno....Lots of Berocca & Red Bull and I'd give it a whirl :wub:

what's berroca? i thought that was a constipation remedy?

Lol Nope its a vitamin supplement for energy

Quote from the google search blurb:

"Berocca is a multivitamin and mineral supplement containing essential nutrients that work in synergy to help those with hectic lifestyles be at their best."