Malcious/Begging email -

Marina

Hi All

Some of you will have received an email from goddess1hathor@yahoo.co.uk saying that I'm stranded in Nigeria and have been mugged, and need £2.500 to get home, worst of it is, its actually signed from me (I promise this isn't me). Please IGNORE this email, some one has hacked into my personal email account, and my bank account. I can't access this email account (for now), I've had to cancel all my cards etc, and inform the police, who are wanting more information.

I'm not in Nigeria, don't intended to, as terrifed to fly (I even hate to travel on a train). I'm really sorry if this has upset or caused offense to anyone, please accept my apologises.

Can I please ask, if anyone does receive this email, please can you let me know via this post, so I can let the police know, how many people this has affected.

Again, I'm really sorry if you have received this, I feel very embarrased by it all.

Best wishes

Marina

Yup I got one - deleted it, as of course I realised that it wouldn't come from you.......

Hope the Police get to the bottom of it all - honestly some people have nothing better to do ;)

Hi All

Some of you will have received an email from goddess1hathor@yahoo.co.uk saying that I'm stranded in Nigeria and have been mugged, and need £2.500 to get home, worst of it is, its actually signed from me (I promise this isn't me). Please IGNORE this email, some one has hacked into my personal email account, and my bank account. I can't access this email account (for now), I've had to cancel all my cards etc, and inform the police, who are wanting more information.

If it's any comfort, which it may well not be, you're not the only person to whom this has happened...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7461409.stm

• Showmasters Admin

Both me and Stuart (Vandal) got one to our personal e-mail addresses (but not to info@showmasters).

I twigged pretty quickly it was a phishing e-mail. The writing was too formal, they were asking for dollars and not pounds, and they were using words like "soft loan" (honestly, who says stuff like that!). Plus the recipient was your own e-mail address and all the other addresses were blind copied.

I'm guessing they contacted everyone in your address book. And I thought yahoo mail was secure! I'll be going through my e-mails and deleting all personal information (password reminders, etc) just in case.

Andrea

PS. you have my sympathies! You're not the only person I know that this has happened to recently.

Thanks everyone.

I've finally finished with the police (hopefully), they can't do anything about my email being hacked (I know they couldn't) but are chasing the bank for details about the money trying to be taken from my account.

I must say this has made me extra cautious now, and I'm in the process of changing all my passwords and details online, I no longer feel comfortable on the net. Please everyone be extravigilant!

I've done some research and its all over the world, they can't catch or prosecute them, as its not fraud as such, its begging? So they will be never be caught.

Again I'm really sorry, I do feel a sense of repsonsibility for this, let hope they do catch these people.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

There are a number of ways it could have happened. May have just brute forced it (once they'd found out your email address was valid), they have been able to plant a trojan/spyware onto your system. If you haven't already, I'd run a full virus scan. Make sure your AV software is up to date, Windows patches/updates are up to date and your firewall is on. If you use a wireless network make sure it has encryption.

There's the usual advice that gets given out. Dont open emails if you don't know who its from. Dont open attachments unless you're 100% sure they're not infected. Dont click on links in emails unless you're sure they're legit.