Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

I will continue to go to shows that showmasters provide that intrest me but i can't understand why this was 'rescheduled' when the term should have been 'cancelled'. (Hope i am wrong tho). Surely leading people on will only making them feel less valued as a customer.

Plans can change. When the original post was made 10 months ago apparently the plan was to reschedule the event. A lot can change within 10 months, the current economic climate being one thing.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the shopping centre idea, would the Trafford Centre or The Lowry be any good? Hyde Fundraisers hosted a Doctor Who event at the Lowry and that was great. Just ideas that the shopping centres may also benefit from, i've really got my hopes that Collectormania Manchester hasn't been cancelled all together but only while the credit crunch is going on. I'm sure you're all trying to sort it out so an event can and will happen in Manchester.

Edited by Doctor Who

And since people are in rant mode, I don't understand how some people are more than happy to spend a few hundred pounds on signatures, and yet get annoyed at the prospect of paying £25 for a train journey. And don't tell me it's not £25 - it is. Book a ticket a few weeks in advance, and as long as you're a bit flexible about times you'll get it cheap. I booked a return train ticket to Birmingham for £27 from London 2 weeks in advance - if you think that's expensive you're living in a strange alternate world far removed from what I call reality.

-Not all of us buy hundreds of pounds of autographs. I don't buy any, for example. Used to collect Trek autographs but realised it was a bit pointless.

Travelling also takes time, some of us have jobs to get to, I work on Sundays, say. And to make it pleasant and not a slog, you have to stay over, which is costly. And I know, I've slept in my car to save money, which is not pleasant...

Also not all of us can book weeks in advance - we may be unsure if we are attending until the last week or two before the event.

And, since we don't know whether the event is happening, we can't book our ticket until it's confirmed. So if GMEX goes ahead in, say June, you will struggle to get a cheap ticket now.

If any genuine Northerner (above the Midlands) is perfectly happy with the cancellation of GMEX, then fair enough, can't really argue with that. But, all you Southerners, butt out! :thumbup:

As for the discussion abouty venue, yes GMEX is far, far too big for such an event. Hold it in one of the Universities, which must be cheaper, surely.

Edited by Bored of thinking up user names

Yeah, see personally I was impressed by the few Manchester events that I went to. I thought the lineups were strong, so it was surprising to learn that they were not very successful in terms of making money.

I'd honestly have no idea how to make an event in Manchester successful if they weren't with the lineups they had, so I can understand why they're cautious.

-How about running it as a not-for-profit? Charity event maybe?

Perhaps take a leaf out of Trek conventions- higher entry prices, but guests are expected to give a decent-length talk and q&a, rather than just signing at tables, looking depressed.

To be fair, I highly doubt Showmasters' target market is children, because they usually don't have a lot of money to spend anyway.

-Children are accompanied by parents (or like Willow99's sister, accompanied by an older sibling) and these people spend the money. Why do so many places offer 'kids get in/eat for free' ? -Because kids are (hopefully) accompanied by adults who do have money. Children have masses of money or pester-power money, anyway.

Shame for disabled people who can't travel though. But again, from a business point of view, the number of moderately-massively disabled people attending a local event anyway is probably less than 1%.

-Oh well, tough luck then eh.

I agree communication could be better though.

-Understatement of the year!

How come the website hasn't been updated to reflect the cancellation?

Edited by Bored of thinking up user names

Going back to the shopping centre idea, would the Trafford Centre or The Lowry be any good?

The Lowry had a collectors fair about the size of my back yard last year so i doubt it has the space and the Trafford Centre would be a nightmare.

Theres this place.

They have the FOFF there.

http://www.manchesterconferencecentre.co.u...CFQsJ3wodtSCIRg

True, come to think of it The Lowry did only have a small area for the event plus the Trafford Centre would be hectic, yes. That looks good though, the link you posted and I'm sure it wouldn't be as expensive as GMEX. Hmm, is there any places which are easily accesible via the metrolink (just thinking for other people who might be making further journeys)

Edited by Doctor Who

Travelling also takes time, some of us have jobs to get to

Not sure what point you're trying to make there?

Also not all of us can book weeks in advance - we may be unsure if we are attending until the last week or two before the event.

And, since we don't know whether the event is happening, we can't book our ticket until it's confirmed. So if GMEX goes ahead in, say June, you will struggle to get a cheap ticket now.

Welcome to the real world - some things cost more if you buy them late notice, you're not the only one who has to contend with this. Again, I think you can assume that GMEX will not be going ahead in June.

If any genuine Northerner (above the Midlands) is perfectly happy with the cancellation of GMEX, then fair enough, can't really argue with that. But, all you Southerners, butt out! :thumbup:

So by inference you're not entitled to take a view on LFACC or CM-MK then?

I will continue to go to shows that showmasters provide that intrest me but i can't understand why this was 'rescheduled' when the term should have been 'cancelled'. (Hope i am wrong tho). Surely leading people on will only making them feel less valued as a customer.

Plans can change. When the original post was made 10 months ago apparently the plan was to reschedule the event. A lot can change within 10 months, the current economic climate being one thing.

Thats true, but when a decision is made it's only fair on all those people who are looking forward to the event and are constantly checking the website to let them know - offically rather than a off the wall comment on another thread. Just think it's not right.

Like any business, SM need to make profit - and from the sound of it this event hasn't even been covering its costs.

This will probally sound harsh but it would be very difficult for SM to do this for charity.

Issues such as funds having to cover costs before any money goes to charity , as SM would not be able to afford to pay for costs and not get any money back.

It would be even harder to get guests if they weren't being paid, as i think Manchester struggles to get the guests because of location anyway.

Its a nice idea, but would be difficult for a small business to implicate.

-Children are accompanied by parents (or like Willow99's sister, accompanied by an older sibling) and these people spend the money. Why do so many places offer 'kids get in/eat for free' ? -Because kids are (hopefully) accompanied by adults who do have money. Children have masses of money or pester-power money, anyway.

If children are accompanied by parents then the issue that I quoted, wherin the children have to be back at a certain time, will not apply. If the children is accompanied by an older sister, the chance of the older sister spending hundreds of pounds for the younger sister is slim.

-Oh well, tough luck then eh.

Basically. They are a business. You can't expect them to put on an event in Manchester JUST to please the 1% or less of people who are too disabled to travel. Even putting aside the ethics, that 1% is not going to give them the funds to buy good guests, which means it wouldn't be worth attending for them anyway. And yes, 1% is a random (and probably quite generous) number. So yes, I'm very sorry for those people, but... tough luck. I know what it's like to be registered disabled and I never expected the world to turn around me.

-Understatement of the year!

How come the website hasn't been updated to reflect the cancellation?

Maybe SJ is on holiday for easter?

Edited by Psychosis

It was announced that this show wasnt happening on March 8th.

Jason's post in the Eclipse topic confirming that the show was not happening this year dates April 13.

The March 8 post said

we do still intend to run an event there this year so let see how the next few months work out

So are we to assume that this is just a cancellation of Collectormania Manchester for this year or forever? Personally, I'm really hoping that it's not the latter and would love to see another one run sometime in the future.

Edited by Doctor Who

• Showmasters Admin

Like any business, SM need to make profit - and from the sound of it this event hasn't even been covering its costs.

If a show breaks even then Jason will always be happy to run it, he is honestly not in it for the money or to made a big profit. The problem with the Manchester shows is that every one has lost SM a lot of money.

Book a ticket a few weeks in advance, and as long as you're a bit flexible about times you'll get it cheap. I booked a return train ticket to Birmingham for £27 from London 2 weeks in advance - if you think that's expensive you're living in a strange alternate world far removed from what I call reality.

The keyword there is London. A lot more trains go in and out, and a major city to major city is relatively easy.

I can do Exeter to London for £22 if I book 2-3 Months in advance, 2 weeks notice is twice that. And once you get used to paying the cheap fair, you're less inclined to pay double.

Exeter to Birmingham is the best part of £45, 2-3 months in advance, when they are gone it's £72.

It's funny cause we're fast coming up to the 3 month point (when tickets go on the system) for LFCC, yet for the first time in 4 years I'm going to have to leave it as long as possible to decide. No convincers for me yet.

Where is this year going?

Edited by TerraHawk

Hmmm, if the Milton Keynes one works out great (which I'm sure it will, just a shame it's too far), how about holding this event in a local football stadium too? There's always Manchester United (I'm not a football fan at all but that's who my family support) or Manchester City's ground. Again, just ideas. I'm not sure how cheap it would be to organise it in a football stadium but there is always shopping centres too and if there was space, the Trafford Centre would be great. When I went to meet Billie Piper in the Trafford Centre, there was over 400 people queing up plus Russell T Davies and Benjamin Cook had massive ques for Borders too. What do you all think?

Edited by Doctor Who

If the event wasn't successful in a place that's easy to get to, I doubt it's going to become more successful if they put it somewhere they can't reach (and football stadiums are almost universally located in the most awkward places imaginable).

If the event wasn't successful in a place that's easy to get to, I doubt it's going to become more successful if they put it somewhere they can't reach (and football stadiums are almost universally located in the most awkward places imaginable).

Yeah, true, hmm there must be somewhere in Manchester. I'm not sure about this one now, but Fab Cafe are holding a Doctor Who event next month with like 10 celebreties. I've never been to the cafe before so I'm not sure it'll have enough room but it's a cafe dedicated to science fiction which is just near a metrolink stop at the museum of science and industry. I'll keep thinking of places but that might be one for SM to check out lol.

And I can only imagine the cost of holding something at Old Trafford compared to the MK Dons stadium lol

Hehe, I know nothing about football but I'm guessing the MK Dons aren't as well known as Man United and it's probably a smaller stadium. I hope I'm right lol :blink:

Edited by Doctor Who