Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone clear one important question up for me please - is there going to be a CM Manchester in 2009? Thanks

We haven't really been officially told. I suppose it's down to Showmasters and at this current economic climate, it may be likely that we won't have one this year. Hopefully there will be one in the future though but apparently past shows haven't raised any profit so a smaller venue is possibly on the cards. I am not speaking on behalf of Showmasters and am just trying to help, fingers crossed we'll get the next Collectormania Manchester sometime soon. I hope that helps :)

Edited by Doctor Who

MikeDonovan, regarding your comment saying most people "spend hundreds on autographs" and can't afford 25 for a ticket? No. I don't spend hundreds because I don't have that kind of money, which is exactly why I have never been able to attend MK. Which is why I forgot that SM don't charge for MK - I have never been to it. I sized the cost of it up more than once, and I just can't do it. At least with Manchester - even if I didn't live here - there are loads of CouchSurfing hosts in the area.

I have a disability that involves chronic fatigue (said disability being the reason I have such a low income, being unable to work on a regular basis), and simply put, I can't travel to London more than once, twice a year if I'm really lucky.

It surprises me to hear that they made a loss overall, because apart from the last CM Manchester I attended, they've all been so packed I had to queue for an hour or more to get in.

Frankly, I'm tired of being shafted by organisers. Not just SM, either. A certain other organiser's events have even worse catering for non-wheelchair-disabled people than SM's, and I always get injured when I attend theirs. I'm right at the point of just not bothering going to conventions again at all... it's not worth the hassle if I constantly have to use money and energy that I can ill afford to spare to travel up and down the country and stay overnight, sometimes two nights. If there were a more convenient event taking place in a reasonable location nearer to Manchester than MK or London or Glasgow - as the Midlands event has proved awkward to get to if one can't afford the train or can't drive - then I would reconsider it...

At this point, unless they had one of about five guests left that I would really like to meet or meet again, it just isn't worth it. I can see my friends at other times and for a lot less cost than going to cons.

ETA: And I can't make Glasgow because the venue is where my psycho ex works, not to mention the distance and cost again.

Edited by Trialia

as the Midlands event has proved awkward to get to if one can't afford the train or can't drive - then I would reconsider it...

What do you mean by "if one can't afford the train or drive" - how would you get to any other convention that was less "awkward"? I'm genuinely struggling to think of a way to travel that doesn't involve a car, a train, a bus or a plane? :D

If you can take the train, drive, or fly, the Midlands event is VERY VERY easy to get to. I don't know exactly what the bus situation is like but I'd imagine that it's not too hard to get a bus to an airport.

Edited by Psychosis

No offence is intended here but Psychosis you appear to criticise everyone's posts. People are just giving their reasons for not being able to attend other events. It might seem strange to you but some of us have certain aspects of our lives that limits the events we can attend be it time pressures, disabilty, cost etc.

I can appreciate that a few people may have difficulty getting to certain geographical locations, but while I'm a bit miffed still with the cancellation of Manchester because it's nearest for me, I cannot find reason to criticise the other events based on locations alone.

As far I can see with the other events, public transport links are always taken into consideration. Most events I've been to (which is quite a few across the UK for SM), are very close to rail or bus links, and normally not far from an airport. They are pretty much all in city centre locations, and major city centres too, so they are not lacking in methods of getting there.

I attend LFCC every year, and have done for a few years, travelling down from Manchester. I do not drive, I get the train, and have never paid more than £60 for my return ticket. If I could determine my availability time for the day I want to travel, I could book ahead online and get a much, much cheaper ticket. Many people I've met have travelled from other countries in Europe just to attend, paying hundreds of pounds at least.

To be blunt, if a £60 or less train fare is unaffordable, you wont get far at an event itself. That's maybe 3 autographs, or a couple of merch items, or 2 photoshoots - so unless its a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet your idol, it's barely worth travelling to a further away event without a bigger budget. I know it sucks, but it's certainly logical. And other people who have said they cannot get to other events for personal reasons or for other reasons then I feel bad that you are missing out. Then again, these are very much the few, and one cannot equally expect for an event to be landed on the doorstep just to accommodate for this until those few become a significant local customer base.

I'm not having a go at anyone's opinion, or even agreeing with anyone's I guess, just trying to rationalise. I am gutted about Manchester being cancelled, and was (and still am) gutted about the lack of info from SM. But I understand why it is being cancelled, and I am not going to dwell on it, or dwell to much on other events that I may not be able to get to. SM are a business and so need a somewhat utilitarian approach, as to be accessible to as many people as possible at each event. There are always going to be people who can't make it for whatever reason, but unfortunately, such is life.

The thing i found last week in going to the show out of town for the day was after youve got the autos you want,surfed the stalls and if there are no talks you fancy its a real pain in the ar5e travelling 5 hours total to spend probably 1 and a half hours at a show(which 1 and a half hours i enjoyed i might add).

Its not all about the ticket fare,however my total expenses travelling to Mid inc food were 50 quid +.

If the Manc show hadve been on it would have been a fiver and home in time for sunday roast.

The 50 quid etc train fare is not unaffordable to myself but i have a 200 quid limit i like to spend at shows and that 50 quid on travelling i could have spent on a couple of import dvds and a ready signed auto if the show was closer to home and id have had something to show for it other than a runny ar5e courtesy of a train station sausage butty.Also the manc show was part of my weekend instead of something that took most of up my Sunday looking at sheep and electricity pylons whizzing by.

I got there at 11.30 and was pretty much done before the Bond girl talk and got all the autos i wanted which totaled 45 quid.I tried to drag it out and managed to spend a bit more but it was an effort to do so (a first).Its fine if you are the type who is a serial autograph and photo shoot type and go to most of the talks but some people are more selective and theres not much to keep you there nowadays browse wise.It may be selfish but we had a show and weve lost it and now we have to fork out money to travel a total of 6hrs + for something that takes up to 2 hours max to get everything you want when you get there.

Id be interested to see how popular last weeks show would have been without the merge.

I really cant see how the Manc shows were any less profitable than the Oct SM Mid show but hey i dont work behind the scenes.

I enjoyed my 2 hours a lot and loved meeting the guests i wanted to meet but there has to be at least 4 guests im interested next time for me to travel out of town again.

Edited by Phantom

No offence is intended here but Psychosis you appear to criticise everyone's posts. People are just giving their reasons for not being able to attend other events. It might seem strange to you but some of us have certain aspects of our lives that limits the events we can attend be it time pressures, disabilty, cost etc.

None taken, you clearly misread my post.

As there are major and close by rail links and motorways, I thought the poster may have confused Midlands with the previous Coventry event.

No offence is intended here but Psychosis you appear to criticise everyone's posts. People are just giving their reasons for not being able to attend other events.

I thought that this was all part of a mature debate and exchange of opinions; sometimes that involves pointing out perceived shortcomings in other people's points of view. When done without rancour or personal abuse it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

To be blunt, if a £60 or less train fare is unaffordable, you wont get far at an event itself. That's maybe 3 autographs, or a couple of merch items, or 2 photoshoots - so unless its a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet your idol, it's barely worth travelling to a further away event without a bigger budget. I know it sucks, but it's certainly logical.

Indeed, and whilst it's a shame, if somebody can't afford a £25 train ticket to get to a show, then one suspects that their entire budget is going to be somewhat less than £40, including travel amd admission. So even if they can get to a show locally, chances are that after ticket and transport, they'll only have about £30 to spend. At which point, I'm sure that whilst SM would appreciate the £30 spend, I rather doubt that person would be a core part of their business model; I'd expect that SM work on people dropping at least £50 once they've got in the door.Much less than that and SM are effectively just hosting an occasional social club for such punters; hardly a way for them to break even.

The thing i found last week in going to the show out of town for the day was after youve got the autos you want,surfed the stalls and if there are no talks you fancy its a real pain in the ar5e travelling 5 hours total to spend probably 1 and a half hours at a show(which 1 and a half hours i enjoyed i might add).

Its not all about the ticket fare,however my total expenses travelling to Mid inc food were 50 quid +.

If the Manc show hadve been on it would have been a fiver and home in time for sunday roast.

The 50 quid etc train fare is not unaffordable to myself but i have a 200 quid limit i like to spend at shows and that 50 quid on travelling I could have spent on a couple of import dvds and a ready signed auto if the show was closer to home

Living in a big city can make you lazy and resentful about having to travel to "do" stuff (I should know, I used to live in London) - think about those poor s0ds in Truro or Merthyr or Inverness who have to spend much more time (and no doubt cash) than that travelling if they want to see almost anything.

I guess it's each to their own; you understandably feel that 50 quid and five hours is not worth the candle for an hour or two's "entertainment" (or however else one may care to characterise it); everybody will have their own threshhold, dependant on a number of things.

I really cant see how the Manc shows were any less profitable than the Oct SM Mid show but hey i dont work behind the scenes.

People through the doors does not necessarily equate to cash in tills. Given that a number of people from the Manchester area seem to be voiciferously reluctant to spend money going elsewhere to shows, perhaps they were equally reluctant to spend it at shows in Manchester? (hey, I'm not necessarily knocking that - the world would be a distinctly better place at the moment if certain other folks had been a bit more financially prudent in the past :wub: )

Edited by TommyT

Can anyone clear one important question up for me please - is there going to be a CM Manchester in 2009? Thanks

I think it's pretty clear there won't be.

As for the money, I have to agree with TommyT and Darthnad. I don't quite understand the people who feel that the travel costs are unacceptable. The events can't always be on everyone's doorstep. Is Birmingham really that hard to get to from Manchester? Sometimes you have to suck it up and get on with it. Birmingham wasn't an ideal venue for me, but I wanted to meet the three Indy guests, so I went. If you can't spend £30 on travel (and be realistic, it's never going to be much more than that unless you've booked very late), then I don't understand how you're going to have much money to spend at the event in any case.

Frankly, I'm tired of being shafted by organisers. Not just SM, either. A certain other organiser's events have even worse catering for non-wheelchair-disabled people than SM's, and I always get injured when I attend theirs.

I'm sorry to hear that, but in fairness all of the buildings that I've seen events occur in have got disabled access of some description. I'm not suggesting it's easy, because I'm sure it's not, but I've not seen anywhere without all the necessary modifications. What exactly happens? Did you raise it with someone at the time?

To be fair to Psychosis, I've never seen her criticizing posts, just critiquing them - which is a very different thing.

If you can't make it to an event because of time pressures, well, everyone has time pressures, it's not just you. We've dealt with cost - if you can't spend £30 on travel how can you spend any money on autographs? As for the disability issue, as I've said it seems to me (from the point of view of a layman) that the venues are reasonably accessible. If there's anything in particular that's caused an issue, perhaps the best thing to do is to bring it to the attention of SM, either with a direct e-mail or actually saying something at the time. I'm sure that SM, and the managers of the venue, would be very dissapointed to learn that someone had a bad experience - why not bring it to their attention??

I could say the same about LFACC, that's a short round trip for me. But if you really want to go to something, you put up with the travel, and you budget for the cost.

It may be selfish but we had a show and weve lost it and now we have to fork out money to travel a total of 6hrs + for something that takes up to 2 hours max to get everything you want when you get there.

6 hours?? Where are you coming from???

Edited by MikeDonovan

• Showmasters Admin

It surprises me to hear that they made a loss overall, because apart from the last CM Manchester I attended, they've all been so packed I had to queue for an hour or more to get in.

Unfortunately people through the door does not mean people buying autographs. Entry ticket sales sometime don't even cover the cost of the hall. If people don't buy autographs then the show makes a loss on the guests.

Autographica is a prime example. Only ever has 1000 attendees but all of them usually spend £70-£100+ on autographs, so even with only 1000 attendees the show is viable to run.

With Manchester we had so many people come through the doors only for the dealers and the free talks etc.

Frankly, I'm tired of being shafted by organisers. Not just SM, either. A certain other organiser's events have even worse catering for non-wheelchair-disabled people than SM's, and I always get injured when I attend theirs.

If your disability is not visually obvious you need to come to the org booth and let us know. If needed ask to speak to me. I will always come to the org booth if asked to. And I will always sort it out so that the show is easier and more accessible to any disabled person.

At the weekend conventions I am regularly being thanked because we do more for disabled people than pretty much any other events organisers. I deal with everyone individually and sort out what we can do help them and make the event better for them.

As well as the weekend cons, I've also been doing this at the main signing events for over 2 years now. I understand it can be embarrassing or awkward to ask for help, but we can not help if we do not know. I personally go out of my way to make our events as accessible as possible for disabled people, so I'm very interest why you feel you've been "shafted" by us when I've never seen you to be asked for help in the first place.

Edited by Too Tall

I could say the same about LFACC, that's a short round trip for me. But if you really want to go to something, you put up with the travel, and you budget for the cost.

6 hours?? Where are you coming from???

I set off at 7.45 from home to Manc city centre and got on the train within 10 minuites arriving at 8.45 then arriving at 11.30 at the N.E.C so thats 3 3/4 hours to get to the show so maybe it was 7.5 in total.

As for really wanting to go to "something" the buzz im finding isnt really there any more but thats down to my own personal tastes and its not down to any lack of enthusiasm for my hobby.This is the only time ive questioned if the travelling was worth it.

Paying 50 quid to get to somewhere im going to spend a day with something occupying my time im all up for but for something thats over and done with in under the running time of a Disney flick im not so sure.I used to be able to manage a fair few hours but its been a struggle the past year to keep myself occupied for longer than 2 hours even with a wad in my pocket and somewhere to get a bit tipsy.If i liked a multitude of tv shows and movies id be sorted but as i have an expensive hobby covering one genre of movies i stick to that so its not the event runners fault its mine for being a fussy bugger.

As for me stupidly only realising that SM make most of the money from auto hunters i may have had a hand along with a few of my associates that we helped kill the event as we only pretty much went for the dealers tables and didnt get autos but thats only because the last two shows guests pulled out and the ones that turned up were widely regarded as being not much cop.So actually in effect the guests also killed the Manc shows too.

Edited by Phantom

If you can't spend £30 on travel (and be realistic, it's never going to be much more than that unless you've booked very late), then I don't understand how you're going to have much money to spend at the event in any case.

I just looked it up and the on-the-day extra fare between Manchester and Birmingham at the weekend is £28.70, without a rail card and without any additional advance fee discounts.

To be fair to Psychosis, I've never seen her criticizing posts, just critiquing them - which is a very different thing.

Thank you! I would hope I haven't been rude to people but if they feel I have been unnecessarily harsh with them, they're welcome to talk to me about it. If I see a point I disagree with or have an alternate opinion on, I express it... politely :thumbup:

It cost me £32.10 manchester to birmingham and the ticket was bought 2 days beforehand as i was never 100% if i was going to go.

I had a VERY good time in my 2 hours with the guests i came to see and im very greatful for SM/AUTO G for giving me those moments, i just wish there was more to occupy my time elsewhere like there used to be.

Maybe im show/celeb/guest jaded after 17 years of shows.I dont think i even bothered having a good look at Ernest B and hes in one of my fave flicks (ESCAPE FROM NY)nor Ke Hu.

Only the other week we walked past Christopher Ecclestone near the Royal Exchange in Manchester city centre and whilst my gf was gobsmacked i was like "so what?" and im the Doctor Who fan.

I think after so many years you become numb to seeing the stars however if you do ever get Christopher Lee ill see you in the first aid room nursing a sore head through passing out.

Edited by Phantom

I've only attended one convention and that was the latest Collectormania Manchester. I payed for autographs from Kai Owen and Anthony Lewis and had a very good time. Had I known how much SM were struggling to at least break even then I would have also probably paid for photoshoots and also met Anthony Head but the past is the past so I can't really help now unfortunately. I had the money to do both but my mum did limit me to two autographs with it being my first convention. Personally, I just hope this isn't the last of SM's conventions in Manchester as I will and am at the moment severely missing it. Couldn't you possibly run it aside another event, in a smaller venue, with big guests and plenty of advertisements to get people excited? If the combination of shows worked for another recent event then surely it can work for the large city of Manchester too? There must be thousands of fanatics so wouldn't it be possible to experiment with these factors. Like I have said previously, large ques have formed for signings in the Trafford Centre previously so I'm sure that with the right guests and the right publicity, a lot of people would come and pay. These are only ideas and I'm sure you're all doing everything you can to keep an event some form in Manchester, so thank you. With the credit crunch at the moment, I think it's understandable that it will be a hard year to put on an event but hopefully there will be one sometime in the future.

Edited by Doctor Who

I've only attended one convention and that was the latest Collectormania Manchester. I payed for autographs from Kai Owen and Anthony Lewis and had a very good time.

I only got Doug PINHEAD Bradleys auto at the last show as like many of my Mancunian horror associates did as he was the only guest we were interested in and i think the only Horror related guest too.

So if its not about paying on the door but autos and photoshoots i take it that it was down to the selection of guests and the unfortunate cancellations which caused the show to suffer.I spent almost £300 quid on the stalls if i recall and £15 of that on a single auto.Also of note a friend of mine who i bumped into spent equally the amount i did and purchased a few autos unfortunatley of deceased stars off the dealers i might add.So if we are in any way representative of the Mancunian show attendee you can see how it failed.

Edited by Phantom

I only got Doug PINHEAD Bradleys auto at the last show as like many of my Mancunian horror associates did as he was the only guest we were interested in and i think the only Horror related guest too.

So if its not about paying on the door but autos and photoshoots i take it that it was down to the selection of guests and the unfortunate cancellations which caused the show to suffer.I spent almost �300 quid on the stalls if i recall and �15 of that on a single auto.Also of note a friend of mine who i bumped into spent equally the amount i did and purchased a few autos unfortunatley of deceased stars off the dealers i might add.So if we are in any way representative of the Mancunian show attendee you can see how it failed.

Hmm true, but like I said it was my first convention so I had to be a bit limited the first time around. It's just such a shame that I only ever heard about these events the convention before they seem to have gone. I did plan to get to Collectormania Manchester 3 too but unfortunately, my parents wouldn't let me as I only found out last minute. I'm currently trying to think of events that attract paying audiences to think of shows that could possibly combine. Could Showmasters possibly run their own stalls? That may raise them money but it'd take more staff I suppose and they are busy enough elsewhere. I suppose they could hire more staff but again, that would cost more money again.

Edited by Doctor Who

If you can't spend £30 on travel (and be realistic, it's never going to be much more than that unless you've booked very late), then I don't understand how you're going to have much money to spend at the event in any case.

I just looked it up and the on-the-day extra fare between Manchester and Birmingham at the weekend is £28.70, without a rail card and without any additional advance fee discounts.

Thank you! I would hope I haven't been rude to people but if they feel I have been unnecessarily harsh with them, they're welcome to talk to me about it. If I see a point I disagree with or have an alternate opinion on, I express it... politely :D

I was just trying to say that some people have genuine reasons for not being able to attend another event, no matter what other peoples opinions are. I feel sad that i won't be able to nip into Manchester and meet up with some of my friends with my sister in tow as she both won't be allowed to come further than Manchester with me for what my mum deems a waste of money. I have always had to pay for any autographs that my sister got and gave them as presents for christmas etc. It was the best thing ever to see her face when she met James Marsters. I'm not criticising the other events in fact it is great that there are so many for people to go to. I just feel that we are losing something that i enjoyed very much and that now collectormania will involve more sacrifices to get to an event. Call me selfish i loved having an event practically on my doorstep.

Thanks SM for giving me the opportunity to meet so many great actors and people.

Well, I attended a Doctor Who convention in Manchester's Fab Cafe yesterday and have to say it was great. It was quite packed however as nearly two hundred people were in the room and then signings took place at the Tiger Lounge which is five minutes away from the Fab Cafe itself. Considering how many people are known to attend Collectormania, I would probably have to agree that it would probably be too small for Collectormania Manchester. So far, ideas for venues include; schools, colleges, hotels, cricket clubs and shopping centres. Oh and I also wondered, would the Museum of Science and Industry be any good? I haven't been everywhere in the museum but did go to the Doctor Who exhibition four times while it was there and have attended a few times on school trips. Also, going back to the Lowry Outlet Mall, the theatre may available for rent. I saw it most recently on Britains got Talent which means they must have hired it out. Having said that, it might be expensive so it might be too much. Just suggestions anyway :)

Edited by Doctor Who

One of my friends is a conference centre bookings manager at the lowry conference suites and also a massive Trek fan so I'm sure he could sort something out if an event was to go ahead in the future

looks like i will not be going to any of the events if they dont do one in manchester. for me its not about the money to get to the the events but the time. me and my fiance work together on a saturday and he does sunday so we can only do the manchester event in the morning just before work. so im a bit upset that manchester might get left out. we have only been to one event and loved it there was three of us and we spent 60 quid each

Edited by evo23

• Showmasters Admin

looks like i will not be going to any of the events if they dont do one in manchester. for me its not about the money to get to the the events but the time. me and my fiance work together on a saturday and he does sunday so we can only do the manchester event in the morning just before work. so im a bit upset that manchester might get left out. we have only been to one event and loved it there was three of us and we spent 60 quid each

I'm sorry to hear that but the last 3 shows all lost over £20K each (over £60k in total), so losing your £180 isn't going to sway SM too much.

SM haven't said that's it absolutely never again in Manchester just that for now they don't wish to risk losing another £20k on a Manchester show.

If someone else what's to put up the £200k+ it takes to run an event like this, I'm sure Jason and the team would happily run it for them.

SM haven't said that's it absolutely never again in Manchester just that for now they don't wish to risk losing another £20k on a Manchester show.

Well, at least that's some good news, that it's definitely not zero chance of it happening ever again. I'm sorry to hear you lost so much and have my fingers crossed that it can be worked out so you can make profit by running an event in Manchester. It is gutting though, not knowing if there is going to be one, and it often feels as if Manchester gets neglected a lot. When celebrities do book signings, a lot of them don't come up to the north of England and I really hope that isn't anything to do with stereotypes. This obviously isn't the case with Showmasters as they have ran four events in Manchester and it's understandable why, if they lost money, they don't want to do one at this moment in time but at the same time, it is quite upsetting. Couldn't you possibly run a smaller event, when the credit crunch is over, and see how that worked out?

Edited by Doctor Who

I'm sorry to hear that but the last 3 shows all lost over £20K each (over £60k in total), so losing your £180 isn't going to sway SM too much.

If someone else what's to put up the £200k+ it takes to run an event like this, I'm sure Jason and the team would happily run it for them.

i understand the lose of money is great and they would not want to take that risk but didnt think it would that much of a loss. i always go to the beauty show in manchester and thats packed out i did see a big differents in people to the beauty show than this show. i didnt go to the first two because i didnt hear much about it. the last show i was having a look at the metro and saw an ad for it a week before it was on and i nearly didnt go because it was to short notice. perharps it needs more publicity like facebook groups and other stuff.

Edited by evo23

i understand the lose of money is great and they would not want to take that risk but didnt think it would that much of a loss. i always go to the beauty show in manchester and thats packed out i did see a big differents in people to the beauty show than this show. i didnt go to the first two because i didnt hear much about it. the last show i was having a look at the metro and saw an ad for it a week before it was on and i nearly didnt go because it was to short notice. perharps it needs more publicity like facebook groups and other stuff.

I don't think the number of attendees was the problem - from what I've seen it was quite busy. I think it had more to do with the fact that no-one was buying autographs.