Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the event wasn't successful in a place that's easy to get to, I doubt it's going to become more successful if they put it somewhere they can't reach (and football stadiums are almost universally located in the most awkward places imaginable).

No they aren't. Football Stadiums typically have very good public transport links and most have decent sized car parks either on the site or in the vicinity, which can be used on non matchdays for events of this kind.

Trust me, I've visited 56 football stadiums in the UK and I've rarely had a problem getting to any of them.

No they aren't. Football Stadiums typically have very good public transport links and most have decent sized car parks either on the site or in the vicinity, which can be used on non matchdays for events of this kind.

Trust me, I've visited 56 football stadiums in the UK and I've rarely had a problem getting to any of them.

I've visited 5 and found all of them awkward to get to :D

It's impossible to find a place in Manchester easier to get to than the Gmex centre.

I've visited 5 and found all of them awkward to get to :blink:

It's impossible to find a place in Manchester easier to get to than the Gmex centre.

I wouldn't argue with that. I think any large venue - be it for sports or conferencing is usually easy to find though.

Yeah, true, hmm there must be somewhere in Manchester. I'm not sure about this one now, but Fab Cafe are holding a Doctor Who event next month with like 10 celebreties. I've never been to the cafe before so I'm not sure it'll have enough room but it's a cafe dedicated to science fiction which is just near a metrolink stop at the museum of science and industry. I'll keep thinking of places but that might be one for SM to check out lol.

I got to Fab Cafe every odd Saturday for a night out and its way too small for an SM show.Its just a bar,some comfy seating areas,a Dalek and a dancefloor the size of my frontroom.

I went to a Q and A with Ray Park and a Richard Obrien night were he sang Rocky Horror songs with ihis guitar which were great but were also very intimate.

The DAYS hotel is probably the best bet as every year a film festival is held there,they have signings,2 seated screen rooms,stalls on a Sunday and its in the centre of town.Ive been to mini shows all over Manchester for years and to my knowledge this is the biggest place ive been other than Gmex.Alternativley there is the M.E.N but i expect thatd be more expensive to hire than GMEX and ugh.....Old Trafford.As for the new hotels im not sure.

I got to Fab Cafe every odd Saturday for a night out and its way too small for an SM show.Its just a bar,some comfy seating areas,a Dalek and a dancefloor the size of my frontroom. I went to a Q and A with Ray Park and a Richard Obrien night were he sang Rocky Horror songs with ihis guitar which were great but were also very intimate.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. This is probably again, not the best of ideas but I'm not sure so I might as well suggest it, how about the Lancashire Country Cricket Club? According to various different websites, they allow conferences and events to go on there so it's another possibility lol.

Edited by Doctor Who

I've never been to the Lancashire County Cricket Club personally, but every other cricket club I've been to would be just about big enough to hold 5% of a typical event...

Oh, I've never been to a cricket club so that'll probably be too small. We'll all have to go in a big field and hope it doesn't rain lol :D I can't think of many more places right now as a theatre would cost way too much to hire out. Hmm, Invasion are using a secondary school. Do you think any secondary schools or colleges would allow the convention to take place there?

Edited by Doctor Who

I don't know, but to be honest I'd imagine that Invasion is a much smaller event than a Collectormania would be...

Yeah, I suppose. Collectormania Manchester was over a year and a month ago now and I've been having withdrawal symptons ever since lol. I've been popping in the other threads to see how excited everyone is getting, especially about Michael Emerson lol (well done Showmasters and Massive Events on getting such a big name, I don't watch Lost but I know a few people who do and love him). Fingers crossed it will be all us up in Manchester or all those who want to come up to Manchester getting excited sometime in the future :P

Edited by Doctor Who

Even with all this talk of venues i think we have to accept that Collectormania Manchester is finished.

At least temporarily.

Do any of Manchester's universities have a suitable size hall or suite of rooms that could be hired out during one of the undergraduate holiday periods?

Even with all this talk of venues i think we have to accept that Collectormania Manchester is finished.

At least temporarily.

Do any of Manchester's universities have a suitable size hall or suite of rooms that could be hired out during one of the undergraduate holiday periods?

I went to a sci fi convention in 97 in one of the uni buildings and i guess theyve expanded since then size wise there and elswhere.

GAME OVER MAN!

I know, but there's still hope, even if it is quite limited at this moment in time. Collectormania Manchester might and hopefully will come back one day so it's best just to suggest more ideas for SM to read and take into consideration. Manchester doesn't get many sci-fi conventions or signings so this was a rarity that I hope will return sometime soon.

That's a good idea, I'm sure a lot of the Universities, colleges or secondary school will have enough space so if they are willing to hire out the space, that might be one for SM to check out. :)

Edited by Doctor Who

Hiya, been lingering for a long while but never really posted, until I realised Manchester might not be happening.

A couple of suggestions - Old Trafford Football ground (Had school reunion there and some decent sized rooms)

Sacha's hotel (Central m/c) they used to hold movie and tv collectors markets there.

Just thought i'd throw in a couple of ideas as would miss the Manchester show!!!

:YAHOO::D

Although I love the city, events and have been to every one, why does the North West event have to be in Manchester?

True, it doesn't have to be in Manchester but I suppose it's due to the fact that it's one of the largest cities in the country. Personally, I hope it does stay in Manchester as it's the only area I can visit but I can understand why people would think of other places in the north west. Manchester is also very easy to access :)

Edited by Doctor Who

My back garden!!!!! :D

You can have it for nowt. Although I do agree about Lancashire Cricket club being a possibility....or

Bowlers Exhibition centre in Trafford Park. They hold a computer market there so plenty big enough

Phantom, where's the best place to find the dates on the Sacha's markets.

My back garden!!!!! :D

You can have it for nowt. Although I do agree about Lancashire Cricket club being a possibility....or

Bowlers Exhibition centre in Trafford Park. They hold a computer market there so plenty big enough

ive got a flyer somewhere ill have a look

• Showmasters Admin

ive got a flyer somewhere ill have a look

I've allowed this conversation to continue as it was not getting into too much detail. I'm afraid I can not allow the posting of dates for an event/show not affiliated with Showmasters.

• Showmasters Admin

no worries

i just assumed with it being a tiny tiny fair that doesnt have guests it wouldnt be a problem

That is why I let it go this far. I was happy with it's mentioning, but not the specific dates. Because at the end of the day although it may not be a direct competitor of SM it is an event that could have competitors of some of the show sponsors at.