Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

i travel to the events because i want to ...and more recently to see my boyfriend and my mates as i spend most of my time at home travling to or from work or being in the blasted place.

i've seen the london shows and the glasgow shows and as quite as the glasgow one was i can see it growing, it's viably getting somwhere in the north that will work, newcastle is a no go at the moment, whilest the metrocenter would be a good venue after the icerink and things are built, putting anything on there at the moment would be imposible not enought safe space to put anything and using a hotel wouldn't work as i very much doubt it would draw in a big enougth crowd ( the arena is rubish and not user friendly although it is convenently close to the train station.)

york has the confrence center ... only been there once but not neceseraly a good space.

durham and teeside... i don't really know much about the area ( not when sober lol )

i havn't done the manchester one, something came up last one and i had to cancle, i still think that making it once a year will give it more time to grow.

and yes i do personaly think that there missing out not having one in the north of england, i would be there ( it would be nice to sleep in my own bed at one of these things lol ) but i know a lot of people who enjoy them, i took my best mate to the last glasgow one, and i have several freinds that have said that they would go if there was one in resonable travling distance.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am slightly amazed by those who have posted talking about how far you travel. I think you guys are crazy,

I dont travel from Ireland just for the sake of being at a con and I have never been one of these people who go just for the stalls or the "atmosphere" - I go to meet the guests I like that I know I probably wont meet anywhere else.

Also I dont risk and hope the guests I like come to an event closer to me (even if there was one). If you're a big enough fan of the guests, you'll go see 'em when they're available.

Edited by nicky

I dont get why people are complaning about the distance they have to travell, If you wanna go to a con then its somthing you have to put up with.

Im for the north and lie you, as iv said manchester is nearer me, and its the best one for me but im nto gunna moan and complain that it hasnt got twice a year or anything because its somthing sm has had to do.

Its not there fault your not willing to put a little more money in to go to another con.

And we're telling you that the event that they ran in the north of England proved to be economically useless. Those people in the north of England weren't willing to give their custom in the first place. and that? :P

This was in part because the guests at the last manc show were very average and the convention crowd isnt just made up of auto seekers.

I know a bunch of local people who skipped the show because of this and most of the people i talked to were there just to buy stuff because Manchester now has sod all sci fi /horror memorabillia shops whereas there used to be some good shops in town before the rents went up.

All we got now is bland old Forbidden Planet and its amazing selection of head bobblers..............great

I only went to the last manc show to browse and buy myself and its pretty much the only reason why im going to Mid

which is looking ike it will become a one event a year show too.

I hope we get some good names over the next few weeks at mid and not just more of the usual suspects as a lot of people who have been denied a 2nd Manc show,live too far away from MK and its forthcoming "A" list guests and have had hopes raised by false promises will be very dissapointed....and no doubt risk a possible ban when they come to speak out.

Edited by vintageSW77

This was in part because the guests at the last manc show were very average and the convention crowd isnt just made up of auto seekers.

The last Manc show did have Malcolm McDowell and I'm gutted I didn't go since he cancelled his subsequent scheduled appearance at LFACC.

Edited by nosfer2

The last Manc show did have Malcolm McDowell and I'm gutted I didn't go since he cancelled his subsequent scheduled appearance at LFACC.

SELF EDITED LIGHT HEARTED COMMENT REGARDING TONGUE IN CHEEK CONFUSION OVER HEROES CHILD ACTOR

Edited by vintageSW77

• Moderators

Would you be kind enough to edit that comment about the Heroes guest? It's a little offensive.

Last Manchester had Noah Gray-Cabey from Heroes. He's currently 12 years old. I assume you're referring to him.

Wow, racist and ageist in one go... you really are disgusting, aren't you?

I hardly think refering to a black person as being black is racist and where was the ageist comment exactly?

A gag about confusing a kid with being a dwarf isnt ageist.

If ive offended the HUGE amount of vertically challenged people "of colour" (that P.C enough for you Lizzy?)that ive seen at SM shows or those that contribute to this forum i apologise.

Edited by vintageSW77

And we're telling you that the event that they ran in the north of England proved to be economically useless. Those people in the north of England weren't willing to give their custom in the first place. and that? :lol:

on average the people in the north of england have more disposable income than them that are based in the south ( im going off what i know in my job as an optical nurse/adviser) even though the poeple that do exactly the same job in the central london area get paid £2 more than me a hour i am left with about £150 disposable income a month at the moment, the guy that has just moved to my branch from the oxford street branch was coming out with nearly 200 more than me a month but had only £60 to himself after everything was taken off, he as well is a collectable geek as it were and despite him being based closer to all the conventions he found himself unable to go as he had no money left to spend.

its not the the people in the north arn't willing to part with the money cause we are, we just never get a chance to.. even glasgow i hardly spent anything.

manchester, newcastle and liverpool are all large citys but anything sci-fi related gets burried and not publicised, i would have no problem spending a LOT of money at a more local event, would love to spend less than £100 on travel and hotel costs, and the manchester event is one that is viable on the cost side, not that it puts me off other shows... heck newcastel northampton is now one of my saved journeys on teh national express website as i seem to do it al the time....

( as for the amount of sci-fi memorobelia stors in the area we have two main stores and three independent, two comic/toys and one music movie and all three of the small ones are always busy...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMO they should give the dates of this event before at least the end of January if not sooner because people need to book time off work, and start planning what they are gona be doing for the next year.

I know at least three people whose holiday runs from January - January and most my friends start planning what they are gona be doing the next year around the end of one year / begining of the next.

If they are so busy working on other events that they don't have the time to finalise dates for this event yet then IMO they are running far to many events.

JMO thats all...

:vader:

LLAP :YAHOO:

Given the amount of posts here it's evident that there is a fair amount of interest in this event. I think the time to let us know if this event is even going to take place, is well overdue. We've had no info for so long now I think it's only decent if SM put's us out of our misery. Even if there is no news please let us know what the heck is going on. I know you'll all be working very hard to put on this and your many other events but we're all chomping at the bit for just a little bit of news.;)