Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

surely all showmaster cons make profit. some more than others. but as long as they are making profit, they should keep going so everyone around the Uk and beyond can go.

Mcr is the only one i can realisticaly go to. not all of us can afford travel expenses.

Oh come on, be realistic. You're paying £20 an autograph - the distance between Manchester and Coventry can be done for less than that :D

No good having "passing trade" if there's not much there for people to want to meet or purchase. They had to condense this time.

Well you definitely won't get passing trade at a dedicated stadium. The only people there will be people who WANT to see guests or see the dealers.You get passing trade at the MK centre from shoppers that benefits the guests AND the dealers. It also assists for groups doing fund raising who turn up for the convention as well.

Anyway, that's enough of this thread hijack, my main concern about CM:Manchester was that it would be too close to the now rescheduled CM15 in MK

Hmm, personally I would think the passing trade from CMK regulars levels out with the Showmasters regulars who normally browse the stalls but found it too packed to bother at CM. Not a trader so I can only guess, but hundreds of pounds of my money is lost because I can't be bothered to force my way into the narrower aisles.

Edited by Psychosis

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you from? The Midlands event is really NOT far from Manchester.

I checked out the distances on Multimap - distance from my home to Manchester event is 122 miles, distance from my home to Midlands event is 183 miles. Hope that helps!

How far is far is subjective, isn't it? If we had a Collectormania Newcastle it would be 50 miles fro me to travel, so...

A train trip is only 2 hours :D That's pretty close.

I'm not trying to devalue your opinion personally, but as a general statement - I do get a bit weary of people expecting a convention on their doorstep.

well, yes - some people don't mind 2 hour train journeys, others find it a pain. Courses for horsecourse.

Hey on Teesside we don't get anything like this, we're a backwater, so I don't expect cons on my doorstop - Newcastle would be the best I could hope for. I think those of us from the North East are used to having to slog to events, so it's easy to 'lose it' a bit when we can't even stay in North at all and have to go to the Midlands.

In other words, no event in the North makes Northerners cry. Anyway roll on 2009.

Of course not everyone can, but still that's the way life works isn't it. Not everyone gets what they want. It isn't a case of Showmasters HAVE to run an event up north. They'll run places that are financially viable for them.

Indeed. Northerners don't have to go to events in Milton Keynes either. I never have and never intend to. Judging by what you're saying, does this mean that the Northern event is already not viable then?.

I know people that come from Scotland, Ireland, France, America, Australia etc for the MK events. They seem to be able to work things out financially, yet others that live far closer seem to demand SMs run an event right near them.

Well presumably they earn more money than some of us. Well done to them. I'm slightly baffled why Americans would come to a SM show since they have huge conventions over there, altho I suppose they may be fans of UK genre stuff, poor fools ;-).

Trust me, a lot of people could be in a far worse situation! In the end, it's more down to an attendee to work out a viable way to get to an event they're interested in, rather than an organiser having some sort of duty to run cons near them.

This is a slightly odd statement. It is, of course a truism that attendees have to work out a way to attend events, and organisers do not have a duty to provide events, although I do get a feeling of 'hard cheddar' from what you're saying.

Those of us moaning about the lack of support for a Northern events are the people who attend the event and spend the money! we want to attend! We don't just want a show for the sake of it. We're not moaning just for the sake of causing trouble, here. I have never attended a SM event anywhere else, and have no wish to travel much beyond 100 miles to what I find, is an event that is enjoyable but nothing spectacular - it's a shopping show. I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't bother travelling out of the North to go to a SM event (unless the format of the show shifts away from just shopping and into a more interactive entertaining sort of thing like 'proper' cons) -

I'm trying to help SM take my money here! If they remove an event from the North, they will lose the custom of a fair few Northerners like me. Maybe our custom isn't enough alone to balance the books, who knows, but we moan about this because we think (not unreasonably) that if you are holding shows throughout the country holding an event in the 200 mile radius of the north is a good idea, and can make money.

Yes, organisers do not have to organise anything at all... Indeed, why not just hold all events in London and tough luck if you can't get there?

At the moment I want to go to New York. I can't afford it, but I don't expect them to bring NY to me ..

Not really a fair comparison, as New York will always be there, whenever you can gather the money or have time etc, whereas events come and go and you have to catch them when you can. Like Pokemon.

No, they don't all make a profit. And again, they're under no obligation to provide accessible shows for "everyone around the Uk and beyond" - does that mean they should go do shows in every state in the US or whatever? Where does it stop?

Sure, not all of us can afford travel expenses, therefore we have to miss out. As a wise man once said, you can't always get what you want.

Well that's what credit cards are for... as I have found out to my cost... ;-)

I do think though, that DavidB and Psychosis, who are both based in the South (according to your profiles), where there's a greater concentration and choice of events, may also like to follow the wise maxim 'Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you judge him'. Or something. And in my case, walk 122 miles...heh.

No doubt I'm putting my foot in it here and you're going to tell me you are both originally from Northumbria and Cumbria and had no trouble getting to events. ;-)

Try and see it from our side. It's easy to say 'tough luck' when it's not your luck that is tough. And we agree that the New York comparison is a bit silly. ;-)

Maybe a few of us Northern types on these boards might like to get together and run a not-for profit charity event up here? Perhaps we could start something... hmmm...

Edited by Bored of thinking up user names

Just because Stoke isn't near Scotland doesn't make it south :wub: I'm 40 minutes from Manchester. I have travelled to different countries (in fact, different continents) for conventions, and I have done it by saving up VERY carefully from my very narrow and limited student loan. If I want to go somewhere, I will go. If I don't, I won't. If you can't be bothered to have an extra two hours on your journey, that's really not showmasters's fault that you don't want to go enough.

• Moderators

If I were just talking from my own experiences then perhaps you'd have a point - yes, I do live where I do, and it's easy to get to London and Milton Keynes from here. However, if I wanted to go to Manchester or Glasgow then I would do it by saving up. I wouldn't be one of those people saying "please get this guest for MK, I can't go to Glasgow!" or whatever.

I'm not the kind of person that expects to have everything that he wants. I'm more than happy to pick and choose, and have no issues with prioritising. Does this mean I may miss an event here and there? Absolutely. It's certainly not the end of the world though.

It's the same issue when people say there are too many events and they can't go to them all. So what? It's like they think it's unfair that the organisers are offering things that they can't have. What's next? Is it unfair for them to sell Gold Passes when some people can't afford them?Is it unfair for organisers to not allow every attendee to afford every autograph they may want at an event? After all, we all have different budgets. You get the idea.

I do see it from the other side. I'm certainly not saying any of this without considering the whole picture. If people can come from all over Europe and other continents then I don't see why it should be fair that there HAS to be a Northern England event.

It's like when I crew an event, and there's a guest that is really busy. You'll get people saying:

"I've come all the way from London! Please let me in the queue!"

"I've come all the way from Manchester! Please!"

"I've come all the way from France!"

"I flew over from Australia!"

We are all in different situations, whether that be down to locality or finance or whatever else. What it comes down to is that there is NEVER going to be a way for Showmasters to be fair to everyone. And not just SMs, but every damn company in the world. Life isn't fair I'm afraid, and while you have my every sympathy, I also feel some people need to be a little more realistic.

In the end, if SMs are not seeing their previous model for the Manchester event as viable, that's something they need to deal with and something we all have to live with. I've enjoyed my trips up to Manchester for the shows, it's nice to have somewhere different. But if it's not working out then fair enough.

Edited by DavidB

I don't recall saying showmasters were obliged to put on shows all over the UK.

You need to calm down David B. Do you even go to any cons or are you one of those people who just spend all day posting your comments never actually going to any of them.

And sorry Psychosis but im not rich enough to afford travel, accommodation etc to go somewhere futher away. Saving up for the sigs is hard enough.

I don't recall saying showmasters were obliged to put on shows all over the UK.

You need to calm down David B. Do you even go to any cons or are you one of those people who just spend all day posting your comments never actually going to any of them.

And sorry Psychosis but im not rich enough to afford travel, accommodation etc to go somewhere futher away. Saving up for the sigs is hard enough.

Who said anything about being rich? I'm from a working class family and all I have is a student loan. It's called prioritising.

There's no need to be so hostile. David goes to cons and is a regular crew member.

Edited by Psychosis

• Moderators

I'm perfectly calm petrorabbit - if my long posts give off a different impression then I do apologise; it's more about addressing the different points, it can get a bit long on occasion.

Like I said, I understand other peoples' views, I'm just offering counterpoints - and what Psychosis said about me is correct.

This is the onli con thats near me, and im not rich i work one day a week.

But i still go to the others, its never gunna be easy for everyone but they always try!

and make it enjoyabl for the peopel who have travelled ages.

Im from leeds so a northener so i cant really say its easy for me, because it isnt.

But i think the cons are worth aving up for, and if u really wanna go to them its what u do.

SM.. spend alot of money on people to try make fans happy, so if manchester aint there first priority im SURE they have there reasons.

P.s.. Just cause David b lives nearer doesnt mean its any cheeper for him

he still has hotels, travell and the guest to pay for even wen hes crewing.

Ok so its easier to get to but not always cheeper for him to go to then anyone else.

i think it cost me about £10 more than david to get home from mk at the weekend and i live in newcastle...

cost is an isue for me and manchester is the closest for me 2 hours is a godsend honestly it is 7 1/2 to mk 4 hours to glasgow, lfcc is about 4 hours and coventry i havent worked out yet but its five to brum so i would say five and a half...

im not rich i just plan my route ahead with great care book the cheep trains ( direct point a-b is always expensive option breaking down journey normaly via brum makes things cheeper)

i travel up and down the country a lot its probably really bad that the bloke in the ticket ofice normaly knows what train im booked....

my next show will be coventry as i cant get to the hub (trains are off on sunday and i don't do the coach as its more expensive)

manchester was always going to be the easy option.

having it in the summer meens i have more chance of getting there. so im happy.

although pricing up to manchester and lfcc is exactly same price through the national express rail sight london kings cross from newcastle is 12 each way as is manchester... 4 for underground isnt bad...

It's like when I crew an event, and there's a guest that is really busy. You'll get people saying:

LOL!! :lol: You're not even joking are you!!

Have you ever had, "Don't you know who I am??!!"

• Moderators

:D actually, that's probably one of the few 'lines' left that I've yet to experience.

I remember having a "discussion" with some guy at C13 because he got angry as I wouldn't let him in because he had a dentist appointment to get to :lol:

I await the day someone borrows a dog and then comes up and claims it ate all their queue tickets ..

well, yes - some people don't mind 2 hour train journeys, others find it a pain. Courses for horsecourse.

The biggest efforts I make for cons is LFCC. It goes like this:

Before the day of the event:

1). Wait for decent guests to be announced that make it worth my while.

2). Book time off work.

3). Book return flight from Dublin, Ireland

4). Book a night in a cheap hostel 5 stops from Earls Court tube.

On the day of the event:

5). Wake at 4.30am and get a lift to the bus stop (30 mins)

6). Wait for a bus and ride it to the airport (30 mins)

7). Check-in at terminal, go thru security and wait for boarding and take off at 6.30am (1.5hrs)

8). 50 mins flight time.

9). Get out of the airport and buy a ticket and get on Stanstead Express train (30 mins)

10). Ride the train to Marylebone (45 mins)

11). Buy a tube ticket and get on the train to Earls Court (15 mins)

12) Ride the Tube to Earls Court (30 mins)

13). Arrive at Earls Court and pay into the con at about 10.30am

This is just for LFCC. I also go to CM MK and CM Midlands but I have a place to stay when I get there. I've been travelling to cons like this since C4. I only ever fly to the UK now for cons (about 5 times per year) and then once extra for Xmas. I don't like the travelling but it does go quickly and I know it has to be done - it's all worth it cos I keep doing it. I'm not rich, I just plan well and have a FT job.

Edited by nicky

It's funny how this thread has suddenly descended into a distance related arguement when apparently the biggest reason people don't attend Manchester (from other parts of the UK no less) IS distance.

"Oh boo hoo, I won't go to Manchester because it's too far North - yet I'll happily go to LFCC as it's right on my doorstep" Listen people, if I can make it to London from Manchester on a VERY tight budget, I don't want to hear any excuses.

It's people who are simply too cheap to book a coach ticket for manchester through megabus for less than £5 that ruin it for everyone else.

Manchester is one of the UK's largest, most commercially successful cities (after London and Birmingham) and to cut down the number of it's yearly events to 1 or to even stop them completely would be a very stupid thing to do.

• Moderators

But isn't it the point from some people that they want a Manchester event because they won't travel elsewhere?

So really, it's working negatively in both ways.

Being a large commercially successful city obviously hasn't made the EVENT as successful as necessary.

I just had a random thought, forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

Wasnt the manchester event moved to the summer so the events wernt all squashed up at the end of the year?

We now have C15 in june, lfcc in july, and Glasgow in Aug..

Looks like their all just going to be squashed up in the middle of the year!

Just because Stoke isn't near Scotland doesn't make it south ;) I'm 40 minutes from Manchester. I have travelled to different countries (in fact, different continents) for conventions, and I have done it by saving up VERY carefully from my very narrow and limited student loan. If I want to go somewhere, I will go. If I don't, I won't. If you can't be bothered to have an extra two hours on your journey, that's really not showmasters's fault that you don't want to go enough.

Psychosis and DavidB - I'm not asking for an event on my doorstep (I doubt SM would do a show in Middlesbrough!)- I'm asking for an event in the 'North of England'.

Essentially I'm saying 'It would be a good idea to have an event in the North and I believe SM are making a mistake by not having one in the North'. Psychosis and DavidB are essentially saying 'Well you can't have one, tough'.

Nothing much else to be said, really is there? I'm not entirely sure what we're arguing about here, diametrically opposing views. Oh well.

I'm being honest here, I don't think any Collectormania event is good enough to stay overnight for, and I am slightly amazed by those who have posted talking about how far you travel. I think you guys are crazy, but more power to you if it makes you happy. I have attended Manchester and it's fine. The point I'm trying to make is that I feel there are a lot of people in the North who won't travel. You will therefore lose their custom. Now maybe there are more people in the North who *are* willing to to travel so this negates my argument- it's difficult to prove either way, I feel.

Anyway: tough. Hard cheddar, etc. SM don't have to put events all over the UK, and they don't. I won't attend a Collectormania further than 130 miles from me, so I won't go to Collectormanias anymore. Everyone's happy! Um, is that right?

To look on the brighter side, Collectormania *is* still in Manchester, we just have to wait till 2009.

Just because Stoke isn't near Scotland doesn't make it south ;) I'm 40 minutes from Manchester. I have travelled to different countries (in fact, different continents) for conventions, and I have done it by saving up VERY carefully from my very narrow and limited student loan. If I want to go somewhere, I will go. If I don't, I won't. If you can't be bothered to have an extra two hours on your journey, that's really not showmasters's fault that you don't want to go enough.

Um, isn't your student loan supposed to be for the costs of studying and that? ;)

Course it's not SM's fault I don't want to travel to Milton Keeeeeynes. I *won't* be travelling to Milton Keynes, zat is my point. SM don't get my money. I'm sure that will bankrupt them...

If I were just talking from my own experiences then perhaps you'd have a point - yes, I do live where I do, and it's easy to get to London and Milton Keynes from here. However, if I wanted to go to Manchester or Glasgow then I would do it by saving up. I wouldn't be one of those people saying "please get this guest for MK, I can't go to Glasgow!" or whatever.

Again, not really a fair comparison DavidB - you can get to two 2 CMs where you are, some of us just want to go to one. And if you can go to the London one why go to the Scotland one? Surely the London one is bigger and better etc

I'm not the kind of person that expects to have everything that he wants.

Who is?

I'm more than happy to pick and choose, and have no issues with prioritising. Does this mean I may miss an event here and there? Absolutely. It's certainly not the end of the world though.

Who said it was?

It's the same issue when people say there are too many events and they can't go to them all.

Well I agree, that's a daft moan. the more events the better, for me personally, so I have a choice what to prioritise. I'm going to a non SM event this year for example - I prioritise that! ;-)

So what? It's like they think it's unfair that the organisers are offering things that they can't have.

I think it's more a case of Northerners getting a bit fed up of losing out. It's a cultural thing. We need our own parliament/assembly... oh wait.. we voted against that. Stupid Northerners.

What's next? Is it unfair for them to sell Gold Passes when some people can't afford them?Is it unfair for organisers to not allow every attendee to afford every autograph they may want at an event? After all, we all have different budgets. You get the idea.

Unfair comparison. No-one is suggesting this. Although I would like to see autograph prices come down. They don't, so I don't buy em. Again, I would suggest to you, why not just run an event in London then and forget everyone else in the country?

I do see it from the other side.

really?

I'm certainly not saying any of this without considering the whole picture. If people can come from all over Europe and other continents then I don't see why it should be fair that there HAS to be a Northern England event.

Those people are, um, mistaken to do that. ;-) I don't think anyone is suggesting there HAS to be an event in the North, rather expressing a preference that there *is* one. That's reasonable enough isn't it? SM don't *have* to do as we ask, but we have the right to ask it. Maybe we could get the law changed so they do have to? ;-)

Who the hell is coming from Australia? The mind boggles. I could be cynical and say they are lying just to get in the queue....

We are all in different situations, whether that be down to locality or finance or whatever else. What it comes down to is that there is NEVER going to be a way for Showmasters to be fair to everyone. And not just SMs, but every damn company in the world. Life isn't fair I'm afraid, and while you have my every sympathy, I also feel some people need to be a little more realistic.

I'm not asking SM to be fair to everyone, I'm asking SM to have an event in the NOrth of England. Is this such a mad and crazy idea? Are we lunatics for asking this?

I would simply say to my fellow Northerners, if you feel very strongly about Manchester not happening (and lets not forget it is still happening in 2009) then they need to boycott other SM events. Don't go to to other SM events elsewhere. I won't be. IF you start going to Milton Keynes then it will cement SM's opinion that MK is viable while Manchester isn't. Vote with your wallets, that's all we can do.

In the end, if SMs are not seeing their previous model for the Manchester event as viable, that's something they need to deal with and something we all have to live with. I've enjoyed my trips up to Manchester for the shows, it's nice to have somewhere different. But if it's not working out then fair enough.

Well, yes, if Manchester isn't making money then all this arguing is redundant. However as others have noted, better promotion and a smaller less expensive venue may help.

Anyway all of us Northerners need to go to Manchester in 2009, show our support, and if we lose Manchester, then we may have to take our custom elsewhere. Enough said. Cheers.

Psychosis and DavidB - I'm not asking for an event on my doorstep (I doubt SM would do a show in Middlesbrough!)- I'm asking for an event in the 'North of England'.

Essentially I'm saying 'It would be a good idea to have an event in the North and I believe SM are making a mistake by not having one in the North'. Psychosis and DavidB are essentially saying 'Well you can't have one, tough'.

I'm being honest here, I don't think any Collectormania event is good enough to stay overnight for, and I am slightly amazed by those who have posted talking about how far you travel. I think you guys are crazy, but more power to you if it makes you happy. I have attended Manchester and it's fine. The point I'm trying to make is that I feel there are a lot of people in the North who won't travel. You will therefore lose their custom. Now maybe there are more people in the North who *are* willing to to travel so this negates my argument- it's difficult to prove either way, I feel.

And we're telling you that the event that they ran in the north of England proved to be economically useless. Those people in the north of England weren't willing to give their custom in the first place.

Um, isn't your student loan supposed to be for the costs of studying and that? ;)

Nope. It's a student loan, not a books-and-stationary loan. (although I do buy those)

Edited by Psychosis

Who the hell is coming from Australia? The mind boggles. I could be cynical and say they are lying just to get in the queue....

There's people coming to the events from Australia or the US, this is really true. I've played tour guide for a couple of them. ;)

Some guests (James Marsters comes to mind) do have extremely loyal fan that travel from all over the world to his appearances.

Edited by Queen_Sindel