Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. My wife is an actor, and acting will always take priority for her no matter what the alternative is. You'll find that pretty much every actor has the same viewpoint.

So for the majority of past it actors their profession is like being a blue collar agency worker?

One job to the next regardless of pay or quality.

Edited by vintageSW77

Blockbuster is full of straight to DVD crap....do they really need more of that on their CV?

Even has-been actors gotta eat. Acting in drivel can still lead to a better career, I dont think anyone will hire an actor cos they did x amount of cons.

Anyone got an example of someone who did the shows after appearing in a successful movie or tv show after going on the slide then bounced back Alan Partridge stylee to a better career?

AND anyone know how much they get for attending cons and make on average on sigs and photo shoots in contrast to what theyd get for a bit part in straight to dvd fodder ?

Edited by vintageSW77

Anyone got an example of someone who did the shows after appearing in a successful movie or tv show after going on the slide then bounced back Alan Partridge stylee to a better career?

AND anyone know how much they get for attending cons and make on average on sigs and photo shoots in contrast to what theyd get for a bit part in straight to dvd fodder ?

I'll give you a list of people who have attended or cancelled who have ongoing careers with work they are proud of:

Michael Rosenbaum

Jamie Bamber

Amber Benson

John Rhys Davies

Matthew Lewis

Dean Andrews

Adam Baldwin

Hayden Panettiere

Patrick Stewart

John Hurt

John Barrowman

Elijah Wood

James Marsters

Rachel Luttrell

Alan Tudyk

Simon Pegg

Burt Reynolds

Michael Biehn

Amanda Tapping

David Hewlett

Nick Frost

That's just a short list that I came up with off the top of my head. Need I say more or did I manage to appropriately highlight the sheer ignorance of your assertion that all guests who go to cons or cancel have no career and are desperate? :thumbup:

Edited by Psychosis

I'll give you a list of people who have attended or cancelled who have ongoing careers with work they are proud of:

Michael Rosenbaum

Jamie Bamber

Amber Benson

John Rhys Davies

Matthew Lewis

Dean Andrews

Adam Baldwin

Hayden Panettiere

Patrick Stewart

John Hurt

John Barrowman

Elijah Wood

James Marsters

Rachel Luttrell

Alan Tudyk

Simon Pegg

Burt Reynolds

Michael Biehn

Amanda Tapping

David Hewlett

Nick Frost

That's just a short list that I came up with off the top of my head. Need I say more or did I manage to appropriately highlight the sheer ignorance of your assertion that all guests who go to cons or cancel have no career and are desperate? :D

see i was refering to those from cancelled shows whos careers have ground to a halt

99% of the above do not count

the 1% that does is Amber Benson

do you seriously think i was refering to the likes of Pegg,Hurt etc ?

if you read one of my above posts i stated that i can understand when the likes of John Hurt pull out of a show for an acting gig

i know my grammar is a bit lazy but do keep up

see i was refering to those from cancelled shows whos careers have ground to a halt

99% of the above do not count

the 1% that does is Amber Benson

do you seriously think i was refering to the likes of Pegg,Hurt etc ?

if you read one of my above posts i stated that i can understand when the likes of John Hurt pull out of a show for an acting gig

i know my grammar is a bit lazy but do keep up

99.9% of cancellations are not from people with no career who come from ancient shows (unless they're ill).

With CM15 being announced as being in June (instead of March), and CM16 still probably next October, won't this clash with CM Manchester if that's supposed to be happening in the summer? Won't they be too close together (and whoever thought of moving CM from the MK centre to the Dons stadium must be out of their mind... all that passing trade for the dealers that will be lost with no shoppers in the vincinity).

All i meant was if you are going to do cons and agree to appear on a certain date, you should be obliged to appear.

Its breaking a promise and surely a contract to cancel.

As i said before an actor has no job without an audience. Shunning your fans for a "better" job is not sending out the right message.

Not all actors should do cons, but the ones who do should consider the responsibility that comes with it. knowing people will travel far to see them.

• Moderators

Assuming you've not read anything about why they "thought" about moving to the Stadium - they're not allowed to have a full sized event there, therefore cutting down on the number and quality of the guests. Busyness and health/safety issues = a necessary move to somewhere elsewhere.

No good having "passing trade" if there's not much there for people to want to meet or purchase. They had to condense this time.

All i meant was if you are going to do cons and agree to appear on a certain date, you should be obliged to appear.

Its breaking a promise and surely a contract to cancel.

In my experience, all contracts for these type of events always say "subject to work commitments".

having worked as an actor simple rule of thumb is you take Any acting work, yes doing the con's are going to be good and a way of being nice to your fans, but if your job is an actor that is what you do. no ifs or buts, if you don't do the little bits you will not get the bigger bits of work.

at the end of the day the job of an actor is to be an actor, its a shame that people cancel but it does happen work will always come first. you have to keep working...acting if you don't you will not be taken seriously in the buissnes.

I was afraid this had happened when the website didn't seem to be getting updated. Maybe you could put up a prominent message about 'summer 2009' (?) on the site?

Sadly, once again Northern fans are left to flounder or pay premium prices for transport to events. Me and my mate don't really have the time or money to drive to the Midlands or Scotland, Teesside to Manchester is bad enough. :D

The forum administrator defends this decision, but where is the evidence that delaying the event will actually result in a better event at all? Having attended various Trek conventions, to me Collectormania is really a trade/ shopping show, not a proper convention, (where the money raised is usually given to charity anyway and fan involvement is greater) so I never have massive expectations when attending a Collectormania - they are supposed to be cheap and regular, surely?

Why not avoid the GMEX at all and set up in a smaller Manchester venue if you can't get the numbers of attendees etc? The Universities have large spaces which could be used and I'm guessing for less money than GMEX, though I could be wrong I suppose.

To me, Collectormania is a cheap and cheerful day out for fans, not a full blown convention where the stars are more or less obliged to go on stage and talk at some length and take questions. Therefore it doesn't seem necessary to me to have extra planning time.... perhaps Collectormania will evolve into more of a formal convention than a shopping event (which may be a good thing).

As many have said, it's us Northerners who lose out as usual, perhaps we should all move South as that Conservative think tank suggested earlier in the year! :uhoh:

I doubt they'd get many high-quality guests appearing if they had to sign a contract that trapped them into going to an event.

So get some low quality guests then..!

One man's idea of a high quality guest is another one's low quality.

Or you could concentrate on UK stars so that there is less travelling time and likelihood of cancelling (and I say this selflessly ;-) as I'm not much of a fan of UK shows)

Or how about a 'wall of shame' at the event where we put pictures of cancelled stars up for people to doodle on.. this will scare the other actors into making sure they attend. This idea may not be intended to be taken seriously.

Michael Rosenbaum

Jamie Bamber

Amber Benson

John Rhys Davies

Matthew Lewis

Dean Andrews

Adam Baldwin

Hayden Panettiere

Patrick Stewart

John Hurt

John Barrowman

Elijah Wood

James Marsters

Rachel Luttrell

Alan Tudyk

Simon Pegg

Burt Reynolds

Michael Biehn

Amanda Tapping

David Hewlett

Nick Frost

That's just a short list that I came up with off the top of my head. Need I say more or did I manage to appropriately highlight the sheer ignorance of your assertion that all guests who go to cons or cancel have no career and are desperate? :D

Nick Frost? Are you serious?

"Your first sentence is a huge sweeping statement. Malcolm McDowell was at Manchester last November and turnout was poor. The accuracy of "if SM get the guests then people come to the event" depends on people's perception of those guests. If you're statement was true, then you have to assume most of SM's audience didn't consider Malcolm to be a "big guest". That would be a very sad thing indeed."

I can only say that although I was impressed to see Malcolm McDowell, I certainly wasn't going to buy his autograph and I didn't attend to see him. Generally I attend Collectormania for what its name implies: the collecting (the stalls). Rarely do the guests interest me all that much, as I don't buy autographs anymore so I can't chat to them, and unlike in conventions most of them don't give talks anyway. If guests had to give a talk I think attendance would dramatically increase once word got round..

Sorry to write so much on my first post, but an idea strikes me that will be a compromise between the needs of actors to work and the need of fans to avoid planning travel and accommodation to see stars that don't show.

When you book your ticket you should have the option to select your preferred guest star or two. In the event your preferred star cancels, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket. It would help advance bookers, I suppose, although I always buy my ticket on the door anyway.

Or how about a text alert service, sign up to it and as soon as a guest cancels SM text your mobile so you can get on with cancelling tickets and accommodation etc.

I do have to say though, no-one is putting a gun to these stars' heads, surely they can guarantee ONE day a year?? And if they can't maybe it's just considerate to avoid cons altogether.

And, to be cynical, how do we know when the stars cancel it's because they've found other work? It may just as easily be because of a hangover for all we know.

All I can say is, I applaud you "Bored of thinking up usernames" XD I agree completely.

I live in Manchester and have no access to a car so even going to the midlands IS too far AND too expensive, the midlands is NOT in the north (obviously) and we already have events in the south, so why does it need to be in the middle? We need something up here, and I do not mean Scotland!

I used to attend MK but at around £200 for the weekend (including somewhere to stay, travelling expenses etc) it became impossible for me to get there, and I haven't been for a few years now, so when the gmex event came around, I was beyond happy, somewhere I could easily get to without breaking the bank!

And now even that's taken away.. I can't say I'm surprised, because I'm not really. :angry:

All I can say is, I applaud you "Bored of thinking up usernames" XD I agree completely.

I live in Manchester and have no access to a car so even going to the midlands IS too far AND too expensive, the midlands is NOT in the north (obviously) and we already have events in the south, so why does it need to be in the middle? We need something up here, and I do not mean Scotland!

I used to attend MK but at around £200 for the weekend (including somewhere to stay, travelling expenses etc) it became impossible for me to get there, and I haven't been for a few years now, so when the gmex event came around, I was beyond happy, somewhere I could easily get to without breaking the bank!

And now even that's taken away.. I can't say I'm surprised, because I'm not really. :WAVE:

A train trip is only 2 hours :angry: That's pretty close.

I'm not trying to devalue your opinion personally, but as a general statement - I do get a bit weary of people expecting a convention on their doorstep.

• Moderators

Once upon a time there was only an event in Milton Keynes and that was it. What did everyone do back then? Most people travelled from all around the country and the world. They saved up, they worked things out, and it seemed to work ok!

Of course not everyone can, but still that's the way life works isn't it. Not everyone gets what they want. It isn't a case of Showmasters HAVE to run an event up north. They'll run places that are financially viable for them.

I know people that come from Scotland, Ireland, France, America, Australia etc for the MK events. They seem to be able to work things out financially, yet others that live far closer seem to demand SMs run an event right near them.

Trust me, a lot of people could be in a far worse situation! In the end, it's more down to an attendee to work out a viable way to get to an event they're interested in, rather than an organiser having some sort of duty to run cons near them.

At the moment I want to go to New York. I can't afford it, but I don't expect them to bring NY to me ..

• Moderators

:angry: it'd be a good idea, but slightly impossible I feel :WAVE:

But seriously, as silly as that comparison may seem on the surface, it is the same thing in terms of a life balance between what we want, and what we can actually have.

• Moderators

No, they don't all make a profit. And again, they're under no obligation to provide accessible shows for "everyone around the Uk and beyond" - does that mean they should go do shows in every state in the US or whatever? Where does it stop?

Sure, not all of us can afford travel expenses, therefore we have to miss out. As a wise man once said, you can't always get what you want.

No good having "passing trade" if there's not much there for people to want to meet or purchase. They had to condense this time.

Well you definitely won't get passing trade at a dedicated stadium. The only people there will be people who WANT to see guests or see the dealers.You get passing trade at the MK centre from shoppers that benefits the guests AND the dealers. It also assists for groups doing fund raising who turn up for the convention as well.

Anyway, that's enough of this thread hijack, my main concern about CM:Manchester was that it would be too close to the now rescheduled CM15 in MK