Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

I'd hazard a guess that students are going to have a problem - they get their loan in April then in September, so by late summer (I assume it'll be August, since LFCC is in July?)they have no money...

Strange; summer was the time that I was richest as a student, as it was then that I had time to get a job. Now I know that was a few years ago, but I have several younger cousins, either currently at university or just graduated, and all 3 of them were generally earning decent money every summer.

Where? :lol: I couldn't find one single summer job (and I don't mean GET a job, I mean FIND one to apply for) in three separate cities for two straight summers. I didn't know there were students out there who had them to be honest.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hazard a guess that students are going to have a problem - they get their loan in April then in September, so by late summer (I assume it'll be August, since LFCC is in July?)they have no money...

Strange; summer was the time that I was richest as a student, as it was then that I had time to get a job. Now I know that was a few years ago, but I have several younger cousins, either currently at university or just graduated, and all 3 of them were generally earning decent money every summer.

Where? :lol: I couldn't find one single summer job (and I don't mean GET a job, I mean FIND one to apply for) in three separate cities for two straight summers. I didn't know there were students out there who had them to be honest.

Exactly the same and so is my bf... and its worse for me atm cos with a broken foot I need like a cashier thing so I can sit down, but theres just nothing to apply for, no open positions at all... and of course it has to be part time cos its only till sept, and if I have one then it can only be one day a week, whichever is my day off (weekends are for sci fi shows lol)

Yea, its not a qn of getting the job, theres just nothing to find to apply for! Well, maybe further away, but then I'd spent what I earnt of travel!

OK, now Collectormania in Manchester is definatly going downhill, soon there'll be nothing left

I hope to god not, Showmasters are the only company that run good "Signing" events. All I have so say as we cant talk about other companies on here.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Moderators

OK, now Collectormania in Manchester is definatly going downhill

Why? Just because they decided to do one event instead of two? Do you even understand why they're doing it? B)

Perhaps you could go to one of their other events instead. LFACC for example, which has far superior guests to anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

It's a shame about the delay, Collectormania Manchester is the only one I can attend and will be until I'm old enough (I'm still at secondary school) to make my own way places. Still if this means there will be more preparation and it will be a more successful event (meaning it wont ever be cancelled) then i'm all for it. Once a year is better than nothing. I'm grateful of all the work that goes in to each of these events. I will be there next Summer :thumbup:

Edited by Doctor Who

OK, now Collectormania in Manchester is definatly going downhill

Why? Just because they decided to do one event instead of two? Do you even understand why they're doing it?:thumbup:

Perhaps you could go to one of their other events instead. LFACC for example, which has far superior guests to anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

I am going to other events, that the Manchester one if easier for me to get to.

:huh:

This is a bit pants, because if it's summer, then either I'll be away, like I inevitably am for LF&CC now all the time, or I'll just be skint either from or for Glasgow

And Manchester's only a trainride a way

I'm a bit gutted there's only going to be one, and none in november, that's a long time to wait sadly

There best be good guests but not too manic

As long as they don't get rid of this event all together, I will be ok with this.

It means I can pay for another holiday, but as long as I have at least 1 event to go to, I cant really get to MK or the others, and CM is one of the main the reasons, I believe, why I am alive. I love meeting all the people.

While this does really annoy me as i am unable to get to any other events and it is an awful long time to wait, i guess it will be a good thing provided we get some great guests this time. And as long as they don't get any ideas about cancelling the event altogether as i cannot get to any other events that they run and i know a lot of people in exactly the same situation, and it really would be unfair to do so.

By the way, any idea when the dates will be announced as i will need to book my holiday around the event.

Yeah it seems me and a lot of people are in the same boat that we can only make the Manchester one. It is a long wait but I feel it will be worthwhile. It is a shame though that it may only be on once a year but that can't be helped. I'm just grateful that it's going to be on next Summer (and fingers crossed many years after that) :)

I'm from Manchester and I'm pretty gutted that it's not going to be a two time a year deal, and that I'm not going to get another local event this year, means more money on travel and I'm tight lol.

Saying that, I totally understand why it needs to be done, and hey, I can live with it; if it means refinement in the quality of the event them I'm all for one amazing event over two "ok" ones. Plus I'm ever grateful that SM come to Manc in the first place! So I'm not going to complain.

But the "summer" scheduling is a little vague... If its a July event it may clash with LFCC meaning possibly either less guests, less people because they will prioritize funds for LFCC or maybe even both?

SM, do you have any idea yet as to whether this will be an early summer / late summer event?

I don't mean to nag, I just like to plan as much in advance as possible and if its gonna be a close call with Manc and LFCC (which I could never choose between) then ill need a while to save lol.

Thanks again for bringing CM to Manc, don't let the moaners put you off!

:no:

I can definatly see that Collectormania is going downhill, first the March event last year was canceled, and now November was canceled for Summer next year, whats next??? no collectormania attall in Manchester???

I certainly hope it doesn't get cancelled, as it's the only event I can get to.

I knew something like this would happen. This is what happens when the market is flooded with events, unfortunatley someone has to lose out, namely the ones that can only get to Manchester. that being said, I can understand why they cancelled. It seems like each year the GMEX event is mucked about in some way by the venue. One year they messed up the booking and one of the events had to be postponed this year they had two events going on in the same hall which made things a little confusing and half the time I couldn't hear people. (I'm partially deaf by the way.)

God I sound a grumpy get in this post and I do apologise as Showmasters do their level best to put on brilliant shows. Long may they reign, just wish I could afford and go to more. :blush::WAVE:

You know what would really make it worth the wait, John Barrowman and David Tennant or Both :blush: They would be fantastic guests and I would rather wait a long long time for that one event that two without. Billie Piper would be great too, would love to meet her again :WAVE:

I'm gutted that the Manchester event had to cancel as it means now very few events in the North of England. So travel for me is very expensive to get to the other events. I hope that a reshedule dose take place as I have enjoyed all the Manchester Collectormainas and have attended all of them.

Hopefully with a reshedule that we can look forward to one awesome event. Thanks SM for doing the Manchester events in the first place. I hope that they will be more.

Frankly, all I can say is... that really sucks. I'm sick of having to travel to London when I can't really afford it. I was hoping now that I actually _live_ in Manchester I'd be able to go to CM Gmex more regularly than in the past, and now it's being reduced to one a year? The timing, as well as it actually happening, is crap.

If there aren't any guests who interest me immensely at the next one, I'm just not going to bother going. I'll hang outside in costume, probably.

its good to see some Manchester folk commenting on the cancellation

im sure the majority of those who posted first with "never mind" etc lived down south

Yeah I mean it can be annoying that it's once a year. Manchester often gets put down and really isnt the best place for conventions which is a shame :WAVE: I would love there to be more but as long as there's at least one a year it's better than nothing. I'm hoping for a big event like the Milton Keynes one, sometimes I feel that the Manchester convention never gets as big of a star that Milton Keynes does. I mean I don't think we'll ever get someone like John Barrowman down here unfortunately :dance: But the extra preparation might mean we will. I would love to meet him and David (Tennant), they seem like really nice people. Anyway thanks for all the effort put into the events Showmasters, I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed the event will be good (which I'm sure it will be with all of you involved) :whistling:

P.S: To my knowledge John has never done a signing up north since he appeared in Doctor Who, I've been looking around for signings in Manchester but none have ever appeared. He can't help it though he's a busy man and usually signs down south. I remember that he recently signed 4 times in a period of a year on Oxford Street. You'd get a lot of people coming if he came to Manchester as most Doctor Who/Torchwood/John Barrowman fans from the North would travel to get there as it's a first time oppurtunity.

Edited by Doctor Who

Gutted. It is alway nice to attend a local event!!!! Makes a huge difference to me money-wise not to have to travel for 2 - 4 hours and get hotels booked etc.

I am always disappointed that 'big' stars are so hard to get to the North of England (I would imagine there are similar issues for Glasgow as well?!) especially to a forward looking vibrant city like Manchester...........Here's hoping that 1 big event a year brings in more big stars - make Manchester the 'LFCC' of the North ?!

• 3 weeks later...

Can't the summer in 2009 come already lol. It's going to be a very long wait but if it means the standards of the event being as high as the LFC etc and getting guests like John Barrowman, David Tennant, Eve Myles, Georgia Moffett etc it will be worth it. Fingers crossed this will be full of Doctor Who\Torchwood stars. I'm going to save my money up wisely and put money that I would have spent at the forementioned cancelled (delayed) events in the bank. Then I will still have a lot for that summer and the money in the bank to use :) So I will be able to meet loads of guests. Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures guests please :blink:

Edited by Doctor Who

I can't believe that this is what's become of the Manchester event - my closest venue what with living just 10 minutes outside of the city centre and it's gone from twice yearly to once yearly in perhaps the most difficult of time periods. I know it's been mentioned already, but is it really a good idea to move it so close to LFACC? Guests will undoubtedly flock to the latter, leaving poor Manchester with diddly-squat.

I really do hope I'm proven wrong however, and that Manchester can have the event that it deserves - the first event was teeming with guests I'd have loved to see but as it was too busy a time what with my university study taking priority (last weekend before dissertation was due) I couldn't make it :chair:

Please don't let the event phase out into nothing.