Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

I am not aware of any more news than this.

Yeah, that's the last one I saw too, I really do hope it comes back eventually. It'll have nearly been two years since this thread was first created, Manchester's right in the middle of the UK so it's ideal. :uhoh:

Edited by Doctor Who

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The post from Too Tall which I quoted a few posts ago is the last info we have:

I can assure you it's not been completely written off. It is still on the table and it may well come back.

With the economy as it has been over the last year or so you have to appreciate that SM have not wanted to run events that from the start they know are likely to loss them money and that they are sticking to the tried and tested areas.

Yes we've had Copenhagen which is a new join venue with some Danish friends of the SM shows.

But on the whole it's been, batten down the hatches and make sure SM as a company comes out of the recession in tact.

With the recession looking like it's ending, it's more likely that SM will consider a northern event at a more affordable venue. I know it's something they still want to do and it's certainly never been completely written off.

The thing that people will need to understand is that to start with any northern show will not likely to be as big as Manchester was. If it's done at all, it's going to need to start small and grow over time.

Why dont they have the manchester collectormania at one of the football stadiums like they do at milton keynes.

That would be because 1) The concourse of the MK stadium was plan B because the conference hall next to the stadium wasn't ready on time. I am not even sure if the Manchester stadiums have a conference hall. Due to the known weather issues I don't really think planning a definite outdoor event would work.

and very likely 2) the Manchester stadiums are quite a lot bigger than MK, and hence must cost a fortune to rent. Like Too Tall has posted, any Northern show would not be as big as Manchester was - so I am quite sure spending that much money on the venue would be a 'no'.

I wish collector's mania came back to Manchester, I have been to every single one in Manchester. I loved it, I mean come on we are in the middle of the country. I feel a void every year when it comes to the time it's on.

In Manchester I got my first autograph, Michael Shanks. It took me 3 hours and 15 quid to get it and it's so worth it.

Can we get some updated news about what is happening?

It was my first convention too, pretty please can you bring it back? Loads of my mates always get jealous of me going to Bad Wolf and The Hub as they can't afford it and they're always asking me if there's anymore news about Collectormania Manchester as that's local and more in their price range. There's definitely interest, I just hope it comes back one day, even if it starts off small again. Manchester is ideal though as it's in the middle like KaidotheVisard said. Manchester is known for its archistructure and range of buildings so surely there must be somewhere that it can be hosted? :smile:

Edited by Doctor Who

• 4 weeks later...

Possibly, but with contracts these days and issues which were rumoured to of happened surrounding the NEC a few years ago and collectormania midlands, wouldn't surprise me if the venue can't do business with a rival etc.

All speculation of course and there are other venues in the north West, but if Showmasters delayed bringing back the event to ensure the timings right, having competition might raise fears that the market there is too diluted.

Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see if any official comment is made on whether collectormain Manchester is going to happen.

I can only speak from personal view there: at the first one we arrived a little more than an hour before opening on Sunday and were first in line for the Early Birds.

Regarding a statement from SM I absolutely agree with you.

Unless there's a change in the situation I don't think there'll be an annoucement coming.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

i hope not its a cracking venue manchester,makes a change from london all the time!

been there a few times always got what i wanted!

its only fair there should be a show up that way,gives everyone a chance to attend!

• 1 year later...

Until a different announcement is made what TooTall posted in 2010 still stands:

I can assure you it's not been completely written off. It is still on the table and it may well come back.

With the economy as it has been over the last year or so you have to appreciate that SM have not wanted to run events that from the start they know are likely to loss them money and that they are sticking to the tried and tested areas.

Yes we've had Copenhagen which is a new join venue with some Danish friends of the SM shows.

But on the whole it's been, batten down the hatches and make sure SM as a company comes out of the recession in tact.

With the recession looking like it's ending, it's more likely that SM will consider a northern event at a more affordable venue. I know it's something they still want to do and it's certainly never been completely written off.

The thing that people will need to understand is that to start with any northern show will not likely to be as big as Manchester was. If it's done at all, it's going to need to start small and grow over time.

This may change again one day, but we don't have any info yet.

The hotel cons are a different cup of tea. The Twilight ones are in Birmingham because of the size of the venue I imagine. I am not really sure if Manchester offers a venue that large.

• 1 month later...

Really hope for a return of Collectormania Manchester in 2012. We have some awesome venues esp with the new hotels like the Hilton that were built as well. There are also awesome venues and hotels just outside of Manchester in Cheshire. Really, REALLY hope for a return of this and that it will be so well visited it is back on the map. B)