Manchester Collectormania rescheduled to next summer

so still no event for this summer then? (sorry, not been on here for a while, just finished preparing for my art exhibition on the 11th)

what about Sasha's hotel? they already hold the golden orbit card comic & sci-fi fair there, but it would mean spliting it up across several rooms...

ooh, incentive idea.... pay for photoshoot, get half off autograph?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about Sasha's hotel? they already hold the golden orbit card comic & sci-fi fair there, but it would mean spliting it up across several rooms...

on the face of it the Hilton room was pretty small so its probable

i dont understand it,these shows are always packed in Manc 5 times a year and yet the Manchester SM shows have not worked

on the face of it the Hilton room was pretty small so its probable

i dont understand it,these shows are always packed in Manc 5 times a year and yet the Manchester SM shows have not worked

I know and you'd think with the addition of guests that there'd be more people as well. I only ever attended the last Collectormania Manchester but having seen the ques in pictures for previous ones, I understand that there weren't as many people at the last one than the earlier ones. Do you think that could have been due to it's date? It's choice of guests? It's advertising? It must be really hard to put on a convention, I can't imagine all of the things you have to take into consideration but I'd like to say a massive good luck to SM and thank them for still trying to get a new event here up in Manchester. :YAHOO:

Edited by Doctor Who

My Collectormania withdrawal symptons are really bad at the moment but I can understand why it's taking a long time to try and find a new, smaller venue and appreciate all the work that Showmasters are doing. Having attended my first convention at the last Collectormania Manchester, it's now been about a year and three months since my latest SM event and I really am missing it. That just goes to show how well you put conventions on and I'm just glad that there is still hope for this event. It's still got a chance and hopefully it will be back next year, bigger and better than ever. I'm still struggling to understand why the event didn't do too well as all of the other current ones seem to be doing fantastically and there's even a new one announced in London. Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks once again for your consistent efforts to get this show running and I'd also like to wish you the best of luck in finding a new venue. Is there anything at all that I can possibly do to help? If and when the event is announced, I'll be able to help out with tonnes of promotion so just drop me a line if there's anything that can be done. I understand you're all going to be very busy at the moment with the other conventions so I hope you all enjoy organising and attending them. Hoping to see you all again for the second time soon, Mark.

Edited by Doctor Who

I'm still struggling to understand why the event didn't do too well as all of the other current ones seem to be doing fantastically and there's even a new one announced in London.

The London one is only happening because the new venue for the Milton Keynes one won't be ready in time for the October event that was originally planned there. Although it hasn't been confirmed, I get the impression that it'll be a one-off.

Just thought I should mention that in case you didn't know.

The London one is only happening because the new venue for the Milton Keynes one won't be ready in time for the October event that was originally planned there. Although it hasn't been confirmed, I get the impression that it'll be a one-off.

Just thought I should mention that in case you didn't know.

Oh, I didnt know that. Thanks for the info and replying. Although London get a lot of conventions, I am happy for them as I'd be so chuffed if I lived there or anyway near. I've just got to keep my fingers crossed that this Manchester one will run. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doctor Who

They should have a party for the manchester one too! that may earn them a bit more money? x

Yeah, maybe. That's a good idea, they also could maybe combine it with another event as has happened with other conventions like Autographica or Sportsmania. I'm not a fan of sports myself so wouldn't be paying to meet sports guests but I suppose it means that other locals in the area might attend who are interested in Manchester United maybe. There is definitely potential for Collectormania to come back to Manchester though, I'm absolutely sure of it. :thumbup:

Edited by Doctor Who

I wanna go to hard rock cafe, plz get a event, even if its small.

Yeah, I agree, even if it is small and doesn't have as many guests as usual it would still be better than nothing. It may have to start out small and then grow as it becomes more popular if it has to but hopefully it will be alright as normal so long as people know of it. Anyway, I'm sure Showmasters will be thinking about what they can do as we speak so hopefully we will see the next Collectormania Manchester take place sometime in 2010 or the not so distant future. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

Haha, I've just noticed when I went looking to help find a venue I was looking for a place with 2,000 to 3,000 people able to attend there. Now I realise my mistake and that it was 2,000 to 3,000 sm needed so I've had another look. The Manchester Central Convention Complex does seem to have a lot of different rooms that are able for hire with large capacity space so could one of the smaller rooms be more necessary than what was used at the previous events? Also, the Museum of Science and Industry has rooms with square metres over 2,000 and one has even got 2,960 sm. The Museum of Science and Industry is very easily accessed by transport links and a Doctor Who exhibition was hosted there for over a year. Science fiction fans in Manchester would therefore be knowledgable of the area and visitors of the museum itself could stroll by and decide to meet guests so that might be worth considering. There's also many more possible venues and you can view information about them here. I hope this helps in looking for your venue, good luck Showmasters and thanks for not giving up on Manchester. :thumbup:

Edited by Doctor Who

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope showmasters can find a new venue and date for manchester.Not every one wants to go or can go to london.Its important that venues in other parts in the country are well supported. I don't have any interest in the guests at Birmingham but i'll still go to have a look around.

hi

If they cant find a venue in manchester maybe liverpool, bolton my first convention was at sachas hotel in manchester (highlander convention) there's a lot of really good hotesl that have conference rooms.

i missing my manchester convention fix ( i only live a 45 min away by train).

• 2 weeks later...

hi

my first convention was at sachas hotel in manchester (highlander convention) .

Chronicles '98? I was at that one too!

I would love there to be a CM event at Manchester - would be a lot easier for me to get to than MK! Plus I'd have the choice of either going home in the evening (Liverpool) or staying with family so it would work out so much cheaper too! One day I will get to MK as I have a friend who is a stormtrooper who attends and I would like to see him in costume some time - wouldn't go on my own though.

• 7 months later...

i glad to hear the the manchester show will return,its great for the event to be in different parts of our green and pleasant land,went to last one it was a belter!

BACKOFTHENET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by malc75

i glad to hear the the manchester show will return,its great for the event to be in different parts of our green and pleasant land,went to last one it was a belter!

BACKOFTHENET!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not returning yet, this thread was started ages ago unfortunately and the next Collectormania Manchester was planned for Summer 2009, not Summer 2010. We've still not heard anymore about it since that post. :blink:

Edited by Doctor Who

That's great news and something to look forward too, roll on Manchester convention :0)

I'm confused, what's this news that everyone's hearing? Your the second to post now that it's great news but this orginal post by Showmasters was made over a year ago and there's been no more information since? There's still been no confirmation that Collectormania Manchester's coming back? Or am I missing out on something? ;)

Edited by Doctor Who

I'm confused, what's this news that everyone's hearing? Your the second to post now that it's great news but this orginal post by Showmasters was made over a year ago and there's been no more information since? There's still been no confirmation that Collectormania Manchester's coming back? Or am I missing out on something? :uhoh:

This is the last update we had, from January:

I can assure you it's not been completely written off. It is still on the table and it may well come back.

With the economy as it has been over the last year or so you have to appreciate that SM have not wanted to run events that from the start they know are likely to loss them money and that they are sticking to the tried and tested areas.

Yes we've had Copenhagen which is a new join venue with some Danish friends of the SM shows.

But on the whole it's been, batten down the hatches and make sure SM as a company comes out of the recession in tact.

With the recession looking like it's ending, it's more likely that SM will consider a northern event at a more affordable venue. I know it's something they still want to do and it's certainly never been completely written off.

The thing that people will need to understand is that to start with any northern show will not likely to be as big as Manchester was. If it's done at all, it's going to need to start small and grow over time.

I am not aware of any more news than this.