R.I.P Stan Winston

Captain_Kronos

In light of the Aliens guests coming to LFCC i thought it applicable to post this news in this section....Sorry to be the bearer of sad news.:smile:

""Stan Winston, an Oscar-winning visual effects artist, has died at age 62.

Winston died at home Sunday evening after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma, according to a rep from Stan Winston Studio.

"Stan died peacefully at home surrounded by family," a spokeswoman said.

Winston won four visual effects Oscars and earned multiple nominations. His first Oscar was for James Cameron's "Aliens" (1986). Winston later won two Oscars for "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (1992) (visual effects and makeup) and 1993's "Jurassic Park.""

----------------------------------------------

Yesterday we lost a true legend of the movies... RIP

Edited by Captain_Kronos

Ah s***. This is the first I've heard of this.

This actually quite upsets me now as he was a guest I always requested from the very start and a personal hero of mine having had a huge input into three of my favourite franchises: Aliens, Predator and The Terminator - he designed my favourite movie creatures.

I missed my chance to see him at Forbidden Planet a couple years ago when his book came out. I needed his sigs on my Aliens (1986) and Predator I + 2 stuff. And he was meant to be working on the new "Terminator" films and Jurrasic Park 4 as well as James Cameron's Avatar (2009) and Battle Angel (2010).

Great loss to the (sf) movie world and creature FX in particular. :lol: I wonder, did SM ever invite him to an event?

Apr112005Stan.jpg

Edited by nicky

ironic the week that a totaly unconvincing computer generated super hero is at the number 1 spot that we lose a creator of pretty much 100% realistic creatures on the silver screen

Not sure how that's ironic unless you're just drawing a comparison of the death of practical FX/creatures and the death of Stan? Iron Man (2008) was his last film released before he died, I think it would have been more "ironic"(?) if he died in that film's opening week. What would be ironic is that Stan dimissed useing an animatronic T-800 for the close-up at the start of Terminator 3 (2003) and instead used CGI unlike the prologue of T2 (1991) which was all practical and much better.

I thought Hulk's CGI work was great and there's no way they could have been pulled off with practical animatronics anyway.

Edited by nicky

• Showmasters Admin

Great loss to the (sf) movie world and creature FX in particular. ;) I wonder, did SM ever invite him to an event?

yes we did and i talked to him in the US and asked him then but he was to busy all the time to travel to the UK

we cannot make them sorry to here of this loss

jason

Great loss to the (sf) movie world and creature FX in particular. :D I wonder, did SM ever invite him to an event?

yes we did and i talked to him in the US and asked him then but he was to busy all the time to travel to the UK

we cannot make them sorry to here of this loss

jason

No probs, I aint complianing or anything. Just wondered as I knew a few of us would like to have met him.

ironic the week that a totaly unconvincing computer generated super hero is at the number 1 spot that we lose a creator of pretty much 100% realistic creatures on the silver screen

Not sure how that's ironic unless you're just drawing a comparison of the death of practical FX/creatures and the death of Stan? Iron Man (2008) was his last film released before he died, I think it would have been more "ironic"(?) if he died in that film's opening week. What would be ironic is that Stan dimissed useing an animatronic T-800 for the close-up at the start of Terminator 3 (2003) and instead used CGI unlike the prologue of T2 (1991) which was all practical and much better.

I thought Hulk's CGI work was great and there's no way they could have been pulled off with practical animatronics anyway.

I was refering to his creature fx and the death of that style (though some are fighting back)because of the use of CGI

sure the Hulk would be impossible to make otherwise but im sure they couldve come up with something better for the close ups.

I always thought it was Cameron who pushed for the cgi and that Winstons true love was the latex and animatronics

and The Hulks FX are poor...its hard to get into Ed Nortons character and the movie because of it

Bad cgi is far too distracting these days,nothing dates quicker than poor cgi and surely they should have nailed it by now but after seeing The Hulk it would appear not.

Cgi is good for backgrounds and ships but for the living theres a long way to go before we get realistic living characters(JPs T rex being the exception).

Edited by vintageSW77

Nice to see so many thoughts and responses about how admired Stan was ....all too aften guys such as Stan don't get the respect or exposure they deserve for their extremely hard work and achievements.

He was an absolute legend. A film hero :whistling:

Nice to see so many thoughts and responses about how admired Stan was ....all too aften guys such as Stan don't get the respect or exposure they deserve for their extremely hard work and achievements.

He was an absolute legend. A film hero :crying:

He was one of my heroes since the mid 80s and I have always actively campaigned for him to appear at a con and he's even one of my MySpace contacts. I have his book that came out a couple years ago and it's great.

He gave me the Predator, the Terminator and the Alien Queen - three of my all time favourite franchises and monsters and was the source of many of my monster toys.

I had never before felt "upset" about a famous person dying ever until the other day - not even Princess Di, Kubrick or Heath Ledger.