4 guests - enough or not?

isandhlwana

• Showmasters Admin

Lizzy has already said that the website states a maximum of 6 guests. I can't find it right now, but I am sure she isn't imagining things. ;)

lol maybe I am!! I looked and couldn't find it :blink: Admittedly I haven't looked at the Chevron site before, but I have ALL of the others, to see SM's guest expectations, and They all have the same number- "maximum of six guests".... but I can't find it on Chevron... possibly just an error or something, so me being silly lol.

Hey Lizzy, I have never stated on any of the websites a number of guests to expect.

The "maximum of six guests" bit you are referring to, was only put on The Hub, Eclipse II and Better than Life, in the Programme entry section, where it stated, you will receive a free autograph from up to a maximum of six guests (this wording was amended from the previous "you will receive a free autograph from each guest" that was on Eclipse, Lockdown and Chevron 7 websites.) But this is no way means that there will be a maximum of six guests, just that, that is the maximum number of free autographs you will recieve. Hope that makes sense.

SJ

xox

I can totally understand that people are upset about the cancelations and so close to the event,when i booked there were 6 guests and i thought it was well worth me paying for a gold ticket.

With 4 guests i would have had to think a little longer about the expense of the gold and would maybe have gone for the standard?

I have no doubt about the event going ahead and to think other wise would be silly.We still have 2 of the main cast that will be great.

I am looking forward to the weekend and hearing the talks from all the guests but like alot of other people i am greedy and want to see as many guests there i can.

I dont think at any time the people who put all the hard work and effort into bringing stars from our favourite shows are being targeted,just frustration at not seeing someone they thought they would be???????

Keep up the good work and looking forward to the weekend.

Lizzy has already said that the website states a maximum of 6 guests. I can't find it right now, but I am sure she isn't imagining things. ;)

lol maybe I am!! I looked and couldn't find it :blink: Admittedly I haven't looked at the Chevron site before, but I have ALL of the others, to see SM's guest expectations, and They all have the same number- "maximum of six guests".... but I can't find it on Chevron... possibly just an error or something, so me being silly lol.

Hey Lizzy, I have never stated on any of the websites a number of guests to expect.

The "maximum of six guests" bit you are referring to, was only put on The Hub, Eclipse II and Better than Life, in the Programme entry section, where it stated, you will receive a free autograph from up to a maximum of six guests (this wording was amended from the previous "you will receive a free autograph from each guest" that was on Eclipse, Lockdown and Chevron 7 websites.) But this is no way means that there will be a maximum of six guests, just that, that is the maximum number of free autographs you will recieve. Hope that makes sense.

SJ

xox

Cheers SJ,

I was starting to feel like I was wrong and the world was right...

:-(

As to 8-10 guests i do not know were you got that from but if you work out the maths on a maximum people attending of 800 you would see this is not possible for any event of this size to pay for 8 to 10 guests and survive!

You have 11 over on the Blakes' 7 event. The Empire events had more than 6 didn't they?

Not wishing to get involved in other parts of this discussion, but on this one, it comes down to simple economics. The Blakes' 7 guests don't require expensive trans-Atlantic flights to get them to Northampton. Ditto the Empire events. Most Stargate guests do.

in some ways i can understand why people are getting so upset, i'd imagine it would be disappointing to pay a lot of money then have guests cancelled. But that IS what happens with these guests,they do have other commitments. in some ways you should be glad the biggest ones are too busy to come see the show coz it means they are still out there working and we still get to see them on our screens! that's a positive from a negative isnt it?!

Also, look at who you DO get to meet! two of the main characters who have been there since the beginning! i myself wont be attending, due to personal issues, but if i could attend this event, then i would, as i have not met these two before and it would be a great experience i think. Good luck for the weekend everyone, i hope it goes well

Not wishing to get involved in other parts of this discussion, but on this one, it comes down to simple economics. The Blakes' 7 guests don't require expensive trans-Atlantic flights to get them to Northampton. Ditto the Empire events. Most Stargate guests do.

This is true. So by that reasoning the Hub can have more than 6 :blink: as most of them should be here already!

You might as well aim for 8 guests knowing that chances are 2 will pull out :blink:

After Lockdown, and now Chevron(the only 2 ME events i'll have been to to date) I've got lots of ideas that I think could be done by the organisers to improve guest situations, but what TerraHawk said there pretty much sums the main problem up.

There almost always a percentage of booked guests that cancel events, hsving a couple of guests as backup would be the best solution in my eyes. Especially as with these two events, 1 of the guests has cancelled a week before the event, and at that point, it'd be almost impossible to secure replacements

I'm sure SM haven't simply put their hands in their laps and said "oh, we still have four guests, no need to look for replacements anymore." We don't know what has been going on behind the scenes.

Maybe they wanted Michael to bring Lexa, but they couldn't get a babysitter. :blink:

Jokes aside: Even backup guests may not be able to come anymore on that short notice. Or SM won't come to terms with them for whatever reason. For Lockdown for example Jason has posted on the forum that they were trying to get Michael Emerson, and things didn't work out because everybody had to stay on set.

I don't think you understand what I mean. ALL I was doing was making a suggestion of "we aim to have between 4 and 6 guests" on the website, as you told me it wasn't on the site. If it is then that's fine.

I understand what you mean. I did get confused and again, I apologize. Seems Lizzy and I both read the right words and put them in the wrong context.

You have 11 over on the Blakes' 7 event. The Empire events had more than 6 didn't they?

Yes, Empire had more than 6.

That is again because it was mostly UK based guests and the event is of the Collectormania/Comic Con type, although it is focussing on Star Wars.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Well, firstly to say, if it was cancelled now, the level of <<Expletive deleted>>ed off that I would be experiacing right now would be off the scale. Am I disappointed at the cancellations: Yes. Obviously and yes, 6 visitors would have been nicer than 4. But we have good guests coming and meeting them will be a real treat, even if I have met Michael & Chris before.

I'm sorry for anyone who is more disappointed than me (and don't think I'm not disappointed) but to suggest cancelling it now, when I'm half packed, have worked out the fancy dress costumes, etc... Lets just say I'd rather not.

Also - re putting the number of guests they want to invite to the event on the website - I think the answer is best found in this thread - http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....c=38984&hl= - essentially, the number of guests they can afford to invite is dependant on the numbers of tickets they sell. If it was 800 attendees (the max for this event) then even 6 guests would be a bit crap. So if they anticipated 800 attendees and said we'll have 12 guests, going down to 4 if they didn't sell enough tickets would be far, far worse. Nope, that would be a big error IMHO. A little more communication would always be nice but... a little more communication would always be nice. I guess they need time for other things too.

Personally, I'm glad that there aren't that many tickets having been sold - makes it a more intimate event somehow (and with 4 guests, I'm sure no-one will blame me for the hope that not many tickets are sold on the door...)

[Me behind the queue of ticket buyers on the day - :chair::stretcher: ]

• Showmasters Admin

...essentially, the number of guests they can afford to invite is dependant on the numbers of tickets they sell. If it was 800 attendees (the max for this event) then even 6 guests would be a bit crap.

I have to completely disagree! There were 800 attendees at Eclipse with 6 guests and that was an amazing line-up, just the right amount of guests, and all of the attendees managed to get everything and do everything over the weekend as the schedule allowed for it. I do not think for one second that 6 guests is "A bit Crap" for 800 attendees, I think that is standard for 800 attendees.

So if they anticipated 800 attendees and said we'll have 12 guests, going down to 4 if they didn't sell enough tickets would be far, far worse.

And I think that 12 guests for 800 attendees is a completely unrealistic assumption, given, as stated above, Eclipse had sold out, and yet there were only 6 guests, and only ever 4-6 guests planned for that event. Eclipse lost guests too, and replacements were made, but it had sold 500 tickets more than C7.

I think that given the fact there are very few tickets sold for this event (in comparisson to Eclipse), having 2 main cast actors, one actor who has been in 50% of the series, and a recurring guest star is a fantastic line-up; yes, it is a shame that there were cancellations, and I can understand people's dissappointment, but I think that given the numbers this is a great line-up.

Anyway, bottom line: I hope that everyone who attends this event has an awesome time, I'm sure it'll be incredibly intimate and far more enjoyable with the lower number of attendees!

SJ

xox

Edited by slaycandy

gotta say, i'm not in the least bit annoyed at there being 4 guests...i think they're all great guests. but maybe it's just because i've never done a convention before.

if the convention was cancelled two days beforehand, i can't even begin to put into words how annoyed i'd be then!!

Edited by vala

I have to completely disagree! There were 800 attendees at Eclipse with 6 guests and that was an amazing line-up, just the right amount of guests, and all of the attendees managed to get everything and do everything over the weekend as the schedule allowed for it. I do not think for one second that 6 guests is "A bit Crap" for 800 attendees, I think that is standard for 800 attendees.

I'm totally with SJ here.

6 guests is absolutely within the normal standard for a show with 800 attendees. I've even been to conventions with that many attendees with 4 guests, and one of those was a surprise appearance.

And I think that 12 guests for 800 attendees is a completely unrealistic assumption, given, as stated above, Eclipse had sold out, and yet there were only 6 guests, and only ever 4-6 guests planned for that event. Eclipse lost guests too, and replacements were made, but it had sold 500 tickets more than C7.

*nods in agreement*

There's one show I can think of does have 12 to 15 guests in the end, depending on the cancellation rate. However, they sell asignificantly higher amount of tickets than Chevron 7. (And this is one reason why I personally avoid it.)

And even this convention makes it a point to reference to their terms of service which say that they are only obliged to present 4 guest stars.

So if they anticipated 800 attendees and said we'll have 12 guests, going down to 4 if they didn't sell enough tickets would be far, far worse.

I said 12 to suggest unreality. Nope - never would be reasonable and had thought that comment in context implied that more guests to this level would be unrealistic. It was mostly in answer to posts on previous page saying 4 was not enough and multiplying 300 by three (for some reason I momentarily thought 300 x 3 was 800... for that crap math I apologise!) and multiplying that by three as well. The point I was making (as in the thread I attached) that putting the exact number of guests on the website is not a good idea if, as stated, the number of guests does depend on the numbers of guests. And it' not me saying that:

we are still planning to get more guests for this convention :P

and we want to put on a real amazing event with lots of fun things to do over the weekend but we do need your help to make this event work

we are planing on another big gust but we do need more people to get behind us and book tickets so if you can help spread the word and let as many people know about Chevron 7, this will mean we will be able to book more guests and go to town on the event :WAVE:

we have lost of ideas and fun things planed so if you can help us we will deliver :WINCE:

thanks so much

Jason :poki:

My other comment I do defend: I may attend an event with six guests and 800 attendees but similar events I've attended in the past have not, IMHO, been as good. So definitely wouldn't get gold pass and if the guests I really wanted to see cancelled (Can't deny, meeting Claudia and Tony would've been great) would be happier to waste the more reasonable entry fee, cancel hotel and skip it. You may disagree but I know others at some other conventions who have done the same. The difference is I wouldn't expect others to loose their enjoyment by cancelling if the disagreed with me!

Still, I am genuinely looking forward to this one!

Edited by MadOne

• Showmasters Admin

for the fans that are new to us or this is your first con just give us a chance, come to the event with an open mind and i know you will have a great time

and for the people that have been to one of our events before, you know that if a guests agrees to attend a con then they must be up for meeting there fans and get more involved, so you know on the day it will be a lot of fun as they want to be there and meet you

as to us we try very hard to bring you guests that you want to meet and put on the best event we can , when a guest drops out it hits us very hard to, as we have sometimes work for months to get a guest to agree the deal points and get them to conform so we go throw all this and then have to tell you all that they have dropped out is also very hard, i know its our job, but still its hard, all we ever do it try our best

some times we get it right from the start like Eclipse other times it looks not so good like Lockdown but when the fans came to the event they had a lot of fun as when they got there the guests made the event happen

so we do understand how people feel when guests drop out there is nothing we can ever do about this but one thing is we will try to replace and make the event happen so you all have fun on the day

well i just wanted to put over my point i hope you can see were we are coming from

see you all there soon

yours

jason :P

Going back to the original post where it says

"The attendee/guest ratio will mean it will be very difficult to get near the stars, they can only fill so much of a weekend and they will be swamped and working overtime.

Now based on Jasons figures of 300 or around that , then the ratio if you work it out is one of the best you will find and will mean the guests too will have a great weekend not being in the middle of a mob.

Personally, I'm glad that there aren't that many tickets having been sold - makes it a more intimate event somehow (and with 4 guests, I'm sure no-one will blame me for the hope that not many tickets are sold on the door...)

[Me behind the queue of ticket buyers on the day - :chair::stretcher: ]

You'll be happy to know that i'll be one of those buying my tickets on the door :angry: